Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #1
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Default Fun car for father-in-law? 15 grand tops...

So my father-in-law wants a new (secondhand) car. He's currently running around in his old van and wants something slightly more interesting. Budget is up to fifteen grand.

He previously had an MX-5 (99 model) but sold it to upgrade the family car about 18 months ago. He misses it and would like another but is thinking about other cars too. Requirements:

- cheap to run/maintain
- modern
- fun
- no need for more than 2 seats
- nice

It would be used primarily to get him to the rowing sheds and back every morning (35km round trip), popping out to the shops, the occasional drive "just because". I don't think he can go past an MX-5, but my wife suggested a VW Golf GTI (say, a 7/8-year old one). He suggested a Smart (I laughed). Can anyone think of anything else worth considering?

Remember, he's 60 and doesn't want an older car, nor something the size of a Falcon. And it has to be interesting. Any ideas?

Neeek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Nissan 180sx or silvia? N/A and manual? Fun enough for a 60 yr old and cheap too, as without boost they aren't likely to break down. That, and as it's n/a it should be in good nic, kids these days don't buy them unless they're turbo and as such, it's unlikely to be thrashed. Or a pulsar? Something along those lines, the MX5 sounds like a good idea though.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

VW Polo GTI, quite a new one
Mitsubishi Colt Ralliart (Probably more than 15k though)
Holden Barina SRI
Suzuki Swift Sport (Once again probably more than 15k)

VW Polo GTI might be the best bet

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
Scott

Pity he doesn't want big, he could get himself a very nice AU XR8 Coupe for that sort of money and have a high powered, well balanced sideways machine with plenty of change for tyres, tyres and more tyres.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Pity he doesn't want big, he could get himself a very nice AU XR8 Coupe for that sort of money and have a high powered, well balanced sideways machine with plenty of change for tyres, tyres and more tyres.
AU Coupe???

Polo GTI might be an option...

Old 07-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
TZENU
XY Driv3r

How much are those Fiesta Xr4's going for now (secondhand of course!)???? Might be worth a look if 15k is top end of budget
Old 07-09-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

RX7 or a Reneaut Clio Sport.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #8
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Renault Clio is a good option, a forum user on here has one and it's very quick, hasent given him any grief and was quite cheap too. An RX7 would probably be a bit too unreliable I'd have thought? Neeek if you want to chat to the bloke who's got the Clio, he'll tell you it's quite fun and very reliable, plus anything else you need to know. eb91xr6 is the username.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
CHARGED TERRA
TARMAC EATER & HSV BEATER

I recon this is the go. A grand or 2 more than 15k but plenty of fun thats for sure. And hey atleast they used ford components

Clubman
CHARGED TERRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeek
AU Coupe???

Polo GTI might be an option...
lol, XR8 Ute, 2 doors, 2 seats ;)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
GlenW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RX7
EVO Lancer
WRX
Lotus 7
Integra Type R
MR2
GlenW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 02:46 PM   #12
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Define “modern”? Fuel injection, airbags, traction control?

Honda DC2 Integra Type R
Mazda MX5 (my choice 1) or RX7 turbo convertible (series 4)
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 6.5 (my choice 3)
Mercedes Smart roadster
Nota Fang
Nissan – S15 200SX (my choice 4), Pulsar GTi-R (my choice 5), a GT-S Skyline or really cheap and rough GTR, 300ZX (if he wants to take a risk)
Renaultsport Clios
Suzuki Cappuccino
Toyota MR2 AW11 supercharged (my choice 2) or the Sw20-22 turbo models, Toyota Supra or Soarer (either turbo or V8)
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #13
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

an original r32 gtr skyline.
no mods
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #14
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

XR4 FTW!!!!

Polo GTi another good idea.

If he wants something fun, small, in that price range, not too old, then he is best looking at a range of warm to hot hatches etc. They are pretty pratical too for what he wants (hey i love the clubman as much as the next guy but does it even have a heater???). You an put up to 4 people in them too which is a bonus if he has some mates.

I saw a tastefully modded first gen focus the other day on carsales i think....wheels, lowered, stock kit (zetec) and they guy only wanted 12k i think. Had an exhaust, intake etc. Not that quick i suppose but you could easilly make it go a bit faster for little coin and they aren't that common the first gen focus niether.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #15
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Surprised no one has mentioned the Peugeot 205 GTi. Apparently one of the best hot hatches ever made. They are getting on in age now though.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:34 PM   #16
Rev28K
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Surprised no one has mentioned the Peugeot 205 GTi. Apparently one of the best hot hatches ever made. They are getting on in age now though.
Why I didn’t mention it. A well maintained one that hasn’t fallen to bits would be quite rare now. He might want to go for the 1.9 litre A/C model although the purists reckon that the 1.6’s steering/handling was purer.

In the same vein I’d also suggest a Jap import CRX SiR. Good looks (rejected Pininfarina coupe design), nice power (VTEC 1600cc), great handling and tiny +2 rear seats. Get a good example and you’d be content, go out on a race track with it and you’d be even happier. The AW11 MR2 is of the same vintage but a bit more of a purist’s choice.

One car that I forgot to mention from my original list was the Mitsubishi FTO coupe R type (and only the R type versions) which was the Mitsubishi equivalent of the Integra Type R and Toyota Celica Type III.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #17
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
Why I didn’t mention it. A well maintained one that hasn’t fallen to bits would be quite rare now. He might want to go for the 1.9 litre A/C model although the purists reckon that the 1.6’s steering/handling was purer
Just need to find them through the enthusiasts: http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15
Wholeheartedly agree that they would be rare to find as the enthusiasts who own the good ones certainly wouldn't want to give them up!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #18
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Trouble with most of these suggestions is that they're either a bit old or they're a magnet for mods. He's not the sort of person that takes a great deal of interest in cars, and anything modified wouldn't get a look in.

I'd love to find him a 205 GTI, but that'd be way too old for his tastes. Similarly you wouldn't for love nor money shoehorn him into a Skyline or anything like that. Not his style.

I think of the suggestions thus far, the following would make the shortlist:

Mazda MX-5
VW Polo GTI (maybe a Golf, depending on $)
Holden Barina SRI
Renault ClioSport
Suzuki Cappucino

And outside chances:

Ford Fiesta XR4 - he'd be extremely lucky to find one in budget
Clubman - might be an idea if I could convince him! But he'd have to deal with me wanting to borrow it all the time...
Smart Roadster - as per XR4
Honda Integra R - newer ones out of budget, older ones will have been modded, no doubt

Keep 'em coming!

Old 07-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #19
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Sheez some of the options in this thread wouldnt exactly fit in that 15K budget...

For the money Id stick with the MX5. And it has that appeal where you can drive with the wind in your hair when you feel like it, or, when Im his age, your scalp. The wind on your scalp isnt to be dismissed lightly.

Or at least stick with a Japanese Aussie delivered 2 door like the 200SX. As years go on you cant be bothered with reliability issues, parts availability, insurance hassle......yadda yadda.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #20
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Renault ClioSport
/thread
Old 07-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #21
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

Hmmm... just found a s/h Integra R in my suburb...

Amazed I hadn't thought about the little Cappucino - he'd love one of them. Trouble is not many around for sale, surprisingly...

Old 07-09-2009, 05:57 PM   #22
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So my father-in-law wants a new (secondhand) car. He's currently running around in his old van and wants something slightly more interesting. Budget is up to fifteen grand.

He previously had an MX-5 (99 model) but sold it to upgrade the family car about 18 months ago. He misses it and would like another but is thinking about other cars too. Requirements:

- cheap to run/maintain
- modern
- fun
- nice

It would be used primarily to get him to the rowing sheds and back every morning (35km round trip), popping out to the shops, the occasional drive "just because". I don't think he can go past an MX-5, but my wife suggested a VW Golf GTI (say, a 7/8-year old one). He suggested a Smart (I laughed). Can anyone think of anything else worth considering?

Remember, he's 60 and doesn't want an older car, nor something the size of a Falcon. And it has to be interesting. Any ideas?
This morning at the Brisbane auctions we bought a recent vw 1.8 turbo with a minor hit , with repairs and all cost doing some of the work will be on the road in your budget easily so I expect you might find a similar bargain or maybe an impreza wagon or similar ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 06:04 PM   #23
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

http://www.uniquecarsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!unique_content.results?keywords=&search_postcode= &search_distance=10&price_min=10000&price_max=2000 0&sort_type=2

go nuts

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

JZA80 Toyota Supra.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2009, 08:31 PM   #25
XDV800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here ya go...
http://cars.ebay.com.au/Volvo-T5R-br...mZ160342411871
Edit; thats ended of course but the car is what i'm pointing out, and that $ is abit much for one by about 50%
XDV800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 12:18 AM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
- cheap to run/maintain
- modern
- fun
- nice
I just picked up one of these:

2004-2009 Citroen C3 Pluriel.

1.6l engine, needs 95 ron but uses under 7l/100 combined. Very modern in terms of it's looks. Fun! I just took it for a blast with the roof totally collapsed into the boot Sunday and had a grin from ear to ear.

Has 4 airbags, a 5 speed 'sensodrive' box (has gear change paddles behind wheels), has room for 4, but the rear seats are useless.

The design work that has gone into the car is amazing. The rear window and roof has a pivoting system that stows under the boot floor, (boot is tiny however). It can be configured in 4-5 ways, and can even be driven with the tailgate and rear seats down like a ute to hold large items with the roof removed.

And if you are lucky you can score one for 15 grand or less.

Get one that has been correctly serviced and maintained, and it shouldn't cause you any problems.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2009, 03:45 AM   #27
Ibrox90
Banned

(prepares flame armour)

No jap crap

Magna TJ VRX (not actually jap crap) (AWD if you can get it)
Focus ST170

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #28
Rev28K
re

One other car that I thought of was the Rover Mini (the last of the line before BMW bought them out and started up with the new models sharing a Chrysler (nee Mercedes) supercharged engine, etc).

These are now available as second hand imports out of Japan. The Japs were nuts for the original Mini and helped keep it in production at the original Rover factory. I think that the later cars had fuel injection, air-bags and air-conditioning.
Pros – classic Mini looks, classic handling, modern updates, don’t have to deal with 50 years of rust and bodged repairs
Cons – the world has moved on since 1965, still uses the old A series (Metro update?) driveline, classic Rover build quality, classic 60’s crash protection

From the importers website: 1992 to 09/2000 Rover Mini A price guide on very tidy 1997 / 98 models with under 70,000 kms will be from about $15,000 to $19,000 complied, plus tyres and ORC's.

1999 / 2000 models will cost from about $19,000 to $23,000 complied, plus tyres and ORC's for the LTD Edition, rare coloured examples. These prices are for the best available, and higher kms will allow cheaper prices.

Failing that the MX5/Miata seems a stand out choice. A lot of examples floating around, you can get away with dealer (non-specialised) service, easy to get parts and second hand parts for, have rabidly enthusiastic owners clubs, they are easy to sell on, softly sporty as stock, heaps of upgrades if the bug bites, fun to drive, wont have so much grunt that he crashes on the first rainy night.
They almost seem to be the modern equivalent of an MGB as they are so ubiquitous and the default option that everyone thinks of as a modern sports car.

It’s not that modern (a bit older than the earliest 1.6 litre MX5’s) but how about a schmick example of a Ford Capri Clubsprint?
Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 AM   #29
Neeek
65 Galaxie Hardtop

I've made many suggestions to him and it seems that he's hooked on the MX-5, which is no bad thing, let's be honest. The other one he was thinking about was a new Mini, but despite his balding pate he wants to feel the wind on his scalp. Fair enough.

I personally think that for what he wants it for he should save his money and get a first gen model (with the pop-up lights) and save himself five grand. But of course he's one of these people who's totally obsessed with the 100,000km mark on cars and most will have surpassed that by now...

At least he's after a manual now - the previous MX-5 he had had some wierd wand in the console that you didn't have to move much and it was missing a pedal... *shudders*

Old 09-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #30
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

The only thing that would concern me on a MX5 is the lack of steel around me.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post