Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 13-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Default Unbelievable sentence.

Following on from recent threads about misguided youth how do you explain you can take a car that is not yours whilst not licensed to drive exceed the speed limit crash and kill someone and get 15mths home detention WTF what message does that send.......a life is worth 15 months at home :
The parents of the dead girl are furious according to news reports how would you feel?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...atal-car-crash

Girl avoids jail over fatal car crash
An L-Plater who crashed her grandmother's car, killing a friend, will serve no time behind bars and has been sentenced instead to 15 months' home detention.

The girl, who cannot be named, was also disqualified from driving for three years.

In September, Judge Roy Ellis, in the Parramatta District Court, sentenced her to 15 months in jail with a non-parole period of six months but then requested a report to assess her suitability for home detention and freed her on bail.

On Friday in the same court, the judge imposed the home detention sentence, which will begin on November 13.

He ordered her to reside at a particular address, to be supervised by a probation officer and noted that her detention will expire on February 12, 2011.

The girl, 16 at the time of the crash, had only 24 hours of driving experience when she took her sister and her late school friend, Stephanie Evans, on the joy ride on September 9, 2008.

After driving around Dural, in Sydney's northwest, she crashed into a power pole at about 90km/h in a 60km/h zone.

Stephanie Evans died at the scene.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
Old 13-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Pretty hard to comment as we do not know many facts about the case.
Old 13-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Reminds me how my sister got done for driving without a license (on her Ls), the guy before her got a $1000 fine and the judge was yelling at him and threatening him with jail for his next offense. My sister walks in and gets a slap on the wrist, judge is joking around with her, she gets a $300 fine and mind you she is a law student.
Old 13-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

I thought the same as you, when I heard that. Then I had a re-think and would a jail term achieve anything?
Should L-platers have some sort of compulsory Driving School, or Defensive Driving School course, BEFORE being able to go on public roads to advance driving skills.
Old 13-11-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

3years of no driving?she shouldnt be aloud to drive for life i say!
Old 13-11-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Essentially what she has done is the same as drink driving. Voluntarily placed herself behind the wheel of a motor vehicle with the inability to do so competently. Thus the same sentence shouldve been given, which at least would be voluntary manslaughter.
Old 14-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

She's 16. I doubt jail would be beneficial to her. Young people get confused in life, make bad choices, this is one. The death of her friend is probably punishment enough for her. None of us can pass judgement on her, after all no one would like it if others passed judgement on us.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 14-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76txcoupe
She's 16. I doubt jail would be beneficial to her. Young people get confused in life, make bad choices, this is one. The death of her friend is probably punishment enough for her. None of us can pass judgement on her, after all no one would like it if others passed judgement on us.
agreed

also living with the guilt of killing a friend will assure she never offends again

but as a previos posted noted, itd be nice to see the same punishments dished out to men as hot young women/girls, discrimination at its finest
Old 14-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
living with the guilt of killing a friend will assure she never offends again
She won't care, she's young and stupid enough to carry on as if nothing happened in a week or 2 when the media back off.

Typical soft sentencing giving kid's carte blanche to do anything they want and not have to accept the consequences of their actions.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 14-11-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
Springfield_Johny

Quote:
She's 16. I doubt jail would be beneficial to her. Young people get confused in life, make bad choices, this is one. The death of her friend is probably punishment enough for her.
What about the deceased parents, family & love ones?

In 5 - 10 years time it will have been forgotten by this girl, but not the loved ones. Jail might do nothing for her, but what about making her do community service for other crash victims, help bathe the paralized. Clean the yards of people who now can't do it themselves, washing etc etc. Learn the impact of her actions, rather than just let her stay at home surfing the net, watching TV and playing video games.

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Old 15-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #11
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandjus
What about the deceased parents, family & love ones?

In 5 - 10 years time it will have been forgotten by this girl, but not the loved ones. Jail might do nothing for her, but what about making her do community service for other crash victims, help bathe the paralized. Clean the yards of people who now can't do it themselves, washing etc etc. Learn the impact of her actions, rather than just let her stay at home surfing the net, watching TV and playing video games.
i totally agree this is a better way to help rehabilitate offenders, which is what our court system is supposed to do after all, not get revenge for victims families
Old 15-11-2009, 02:14 AM   #12
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

i agree also, i realize i did not give an alternative to jail just a reason why not to put her there.

helping people who have been in horrific car accidents and are paralyzed or maimed can really open the eyes of those who have been in car accidents themselves and hurt people or themselves.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 15-11-2009, 02:30 AM   #13
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

It seems to me like she has her final year of school next year and will be completing her HSC; the house arrest term terminates mid Feb, just in time to start term 1 of her final year. She's already a natural idiot, the last thing the court system wants to do it make her a bigger idiot by not allowing her to finish highschool thus making her un-employable.

Regardless, I cannot believe people can be so stupid. My own little brother asked me if he could drive my car to a party one night without a license or supervisor about a month or so ago. I was furious and reading about things like this further warrants my concerns. Kids these days have no common sense!
Old 15-11-2009, 03:22 AM   #14
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
Following on from recent threads about misguided youth how do you explain you can take a car that is not yours whilst not licensed to drive exceed the speed limit crash and kill someone and get 15mths home detention WTF what message does that send.......a life is worth 15 months at home :
The parents of the dead girl are furious according to news reports how would you feel?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/...atal-car-crash

Girl avoids jail over fatal car crash
An L-Plater who crashed her grandmother's car, killing a friend, will serve no time behind bars and has been sentenced instead to 15 months' home detention.

The girl, who cannot be named, was also disqualified from driving for three years.

In September, Judge Roy Ellis, in the Parramatta District Court, sentenced her to 15 months in jail with a non-parole period of six months but then requested a report to assess her suitability for home detention and freed her on bail.

On Friday in the same court, the judge imposed the home detention sentence, which will begin on November 13.

He ordered her to reside at a particular address, to be supervised by a probation officer and noted that her detention will expire on February 12, 2011.

The girl, 16 at the time of the crash, had only 24 hours of driving experience when she took her sister and her late school friend, Stephanie Evans, on the joy ride on September 9, 2008.

After driving around Dural, in Sydney's northwest, she crashed into a power pole at about 90km/h in a 60km/h zone.

Stephanie Evans died at the scene.
It's believable because she's female, males are punished far more severely.
People are far more lenient to minorities in basically every aspect. Due to minorities guilt tripping the majorities.
Lets put a 16yr old male in that situation and see what happens. It's probably already happened hundreds of times over and I've seen P plater males get 10yr sentences over far less (one a friend).

That's how the world works, unfairly and that's how it is. So please don't call me an ignorant sexist because if you do you need to wake up and realise that's how it is, instead of how it should be (moral values). It sucks but that's it. You can't just shun reality.
Old 15-11-2009, 08:00 AM   #15
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I think you'll find the other people who jumped into the car knew and was part of the party so to speak...
Remember this accident.. From memory it was Dural..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
Old 15-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #16
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
She won't care, she's young and stupid enough to carry on as if nothing happened in a week or 2 when the media back off.

Typical soft sentencing giving kid's carte blanche to do anything they want and not have to accept the consequences of their actions.
Spot on. Life in the western developed world (GB/EU/USA in particular) has reduced to a bear minimum 'conseqence' = cheap.

All part of societal engineering, dumbing-down etc.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 15-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #17
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
You know this lass do you? To know the guilt isnt eating her? You can casually say she doesnt care.

I dont think she is first person to have "borrowed" mum or grandmums car when nobody looking to have a fang, before being licenced. I would suspect some even some forum members have tried it ... But of course WE were born superior. SHE is evil dumb careless modern youth.

Ok it IS dumb and dangerous, but thats being a teenager.

She did wot many do and it all went horribly wrong. I would hate to grow up knowing I did that.
At that age living with that, AND A criminal record for life, and the social stigma, AND home detention (Ie NO social life .school dances sport, shops etc all them things teenage girls do) IS better then then slamming her up with serious offenders.

Is it retribution or correction you want?

Last edited by bathurst77; 15-11-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 15-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #18
menil
fg pursuit

Whether it is this or any other offence we need to be giving sentences that reflect the crime ,be they male or female .What message do we send to other youth that it doesnt really matter do whatever you like ,a slap on the wrist wont hurt .
Old 15-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #19
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
It's believable because she's female, males are punished far more severely.
People are far more lenient to minorities in basically every aspect. Due to minorities guilt tripping the majorities.
Lets put a 16yr old male in that situation and see what happens. It's probably already happened hundreds of times over and I've seen P plater males get 10yr sentences over far less (one a friend).

That's how the world works, unfairly and that's how it is. So please don't call me an ignorant sexist because if you do you need to wake up and realise that's how it is, instead of how it should be (moral values). It sucks but that's it. You can't just shun reality.
You are exactly right and you know what else? Even though a male of the same age would get a far harsher punishment, I can guarantee that 90% of people would say it isn't harsh enough and that he should spend his life rotting behind bars.
Old 15-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #20
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST
You are exactly right and you know what else? Even though a male of the same age would get a far harsher punishment, I can guarantee that 90% of people would say it isn't harsh enough and that he should spend his life rotting behind bars.
So true and it's sickening really. Who knows, one day the system MAY get slightly fairer.
Old 15-11-2009, 07:40 PM   #21
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Your sex should have no bearing on what sentance you recieve for any crime you commit, she should spend at least 3 months in prison and never be aloud to drive again! :
Old 15-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #22
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
Is it retribution or correction you want?

Sir, you have summed it up brilliantly, my hat off to you!
Old 15-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #23
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I hate seeing this (again) but conflicting views will ruin this thread. None of us are really in a position to judge this girl, her sentence or her actions.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 15-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #24
schultzie
Just Images

she will have to live with killing one of her friends for years to come. i have seen how this has affected some one and trust me they never forget. and it was a different situation ...

i think this is a good way to deal with it, being at home with no connection with the out side world that would be worse than prison and at least she will have to support of her family.

just my 2 cents every one is welcome to their opinion.
Old 15-11-2009, 09:33 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Sending young people into prison never turns out good 9/10 times, they get picked on and come out as not so nice people who wont fit back into society.
Old 15-11-2009, 10:23 PM   #26
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

This is absolutely no surprise to me. As some of you may be aware my mother in law was hit by a car while riding her bike earlier this year and died about a month later due to her injuries. There have been no charges laid to date and appears none will be even though the driver admitted to seeing them riding their bikes further up the road. So like I said, reading this story has not surprised me at all. The whole law enforcement system needs to be overhauled in my opinion.

I know how the parents of the deceased girl feel, however I can also see that the driver involved will be living with this for the rest of their lives and I am sure that it will be very traumatic for them. I dont know how I would cope if I killed someone while I was driving. Having said that though, the family of the deceased will also be living with the loss for the rest of their lives as well and therefore I fell that some sort of sentence should be applied if you have killed someone whether it be by accident or not.

Last edited by naddis01; 15-11-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 15-11-2009, 10:32 PM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

My great grandma's parter was hit and killed crossing the road by a hooning P plater last year, he got hit about 10 meters from the house, he convulsed in the gutter a bit then died and the police said it was his fault for crossing to the middle of the road.

The coroner took ages to come, he was lying on the road dead for a while.
Old 15-11-2009, 10:52 PM   #28
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Pretty hard to comment as we do not know many facts about the case.
This

Quote:
this

Quote:
None of us are really in a position to judge this girl, her sentence or her actions.
and this.

What we have here is an article with a deliberate paucity of actual details, so that the mouth-breathing simpletons that make up the general population of this country can fill in the blanks with ideas pulled out of their cretinous skulls. How does it feel, guys, having a pencil-necked journalist manipulating you into a mad grunting frenzy? Why you'd let someone have that much power over you I'll never know.
Old 15-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #29
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Did they mean 24 hours behind the wheel or 24hours since getting behind the wheel for the first time?
I actually got my licence with less than 15 hours behind the wheel, I had the hang of driving In miniutes.
I can see some 1 confident enough to venture out with 24 hours behind the wheel.
I'm sure plenty of people on this forum drove cars before having a licence, my dad used to drive a semi full of wheat around a farm at 12.

I think this girl will be scarred enough after killing her friend to learn as much as she would with a 5+year sentence.
Old 15-11-2009, 11:28 PM   #30
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR
Did they mean 24 hours behind the wheel or 24hours since getting behind the wheel for the first time?
Assuming that's how many hours were written in her learner log book
Closed Thread