Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #1
351capri
windsorman

Talking Nsw Police Vehicle Preferences

spotted yesterday afternoon ,an interesting gathering of three brand new F6 Typhoon unmarked hwy patrol cars near the Oran Park entrance. red, green and orange , with officers chatting away comparing notes.. then driving along oran park rd spotted another new F6 typhoon, blue this time, parked at the end of new roadworks , in full operation mode. are we seeing a trend towards the F6 being weapon of choice for the boys in blue?? (sorry ,i dont know the correct names for the colours of the cars). NB. If in the campbelltown, camden, narellan, northern rd areas, don't try and run any F6's :

Old 16-11-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Theyve been running around in F6's since BF was out. Its mainly the hoon squad that has them.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
maccamom
Terri Enthusiast

Not surprised since the XR6T brakes are terrible, they aren't made for continual heavy braking. Having the brembo's makes a huge difference, extra grunt is nice too
Old 16-11-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They upgrade the brakes in the police pack
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

The next batch of NSW XR6 Turbos apparently have 4 pot brembos!!! They will be good buying when they do there time!
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
The next batch of NSW XR6 Turbos apparently have 4 pot brembos!!! They will be good buying when they do there time!
Yeah they'll all need new rotors and pads by the time they hit the auctions.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

To be honest, I find the thought of unmarked F6 cop cars formidable and a little worrying...I'm a tame driver, as my friends always point out, but I love nothing more than friendly fun with fellow ford drivers. One day a spirited blip of the throttle could lead to a defect or fine. Oh well. Really gotta strap on the grandma shoes now.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #8
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I heard that NSW are getting FG XR6T's with running gear from Fg F6's, powertrain, suspension and brakes.
Old 17-11-2009, 01:38 AM   #9
G6E TURBO 270KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit

all November build XR6 turbo with police pack get 4 pots brembos and with BA Typhoon 18' wheels to fit the brakes. ford must be recycleing wheeels again.
G6E TURBO 270KW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #10
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I heard that NSW are getting FG XR6T's with running gear from Fg F6's, powertrain, suspension and brakes.
Very interesting Redrum. I'm onto my second ex-police XR6T from auction. They really do make great buying (never had a reliability problem), can't wait for these FG's with F6 running gear to hit the floor.
Old 17-11-2009, 09:05 AM   #11
XR8AU2121

I too will be on the hunt for a good one in 12 months time.
A 12 month old or less country car will be on the list, preferably an un-marked one. As they spend all shift just cruising up and down the highways with no kerbs to jump or suburban street chases, the brakes shouldn't get too punished either.

The interiors of the country cars remain in better condition too as there is less movement in and out of the car. Each car also, in most cases, only have one or two drivers during their life span.
XR8AU2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
yift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Countless sensible, accurate mechanical advice on all things Falcon and Territory. 

while i was in sydney a month ago i saw a green f6 copper running between kings cross and the city on a saturday night.

when i was on my way home on sunday they were all over the m5
yift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Yeah they'll all need new rotors and pads by the time they hit the auctions.
brembo rotors and pads dont last long anyway
Old 17-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #14
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by yift
while i was in sydney a month ago i saw a green f6 copper running between kings cross and the city on a saturday night.

when i was on my way home on sunday they were all over the m5

I saw them last weekend near Harry's Pies. They had setup an RBT there. Through the course of my pie, I saw 3 unmarked F6's rock up.
kypez is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #15
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Highly doubt it, Ford wouldn't allow it and NSW Police wouldn't want to take it.

Besides, NSW Police are already buying unmarked FG F6s for operation Taipan, combating hoon behaviour in western Sydney.

Usually the only adjustments made for the police are bigger alternators, second battery in the boot and sports suspension setup in bog-standard Falcons and commodores.

As for the current flux of VE SSs, by the sounds of it Holden have given Statefleet very good prices for these cars, hence the near 100% Holden choice for the NSW Highway Patrol fleet. I've heard that they are also going to be running these cars for 60,000-80,000 km rather than the 40,000-50,000 that they used to do 5 years ago.

Check out this photo of an unmarked FG F6 from Midnorthcoast police photos
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6E TURBO 270KW
all November build XR6 turbo with police pack get 4 pots brembos and with BA Typhoon 18' wheels to fit the brakes. ford must be recycleing wheeels again.
Correct...

They dont get F6 Running gear tho. Just wheels and brakes (18 inch / 4 pots).
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #17
VICFPV

The F6 meets their demands quite nicely at present.
Lots of go to catch badies in comfortable surroundings. Also very heavy duty wear and tear eg Brakes, Suspension.
VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #18
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Ever since VE out in SW Sydney its been mostly VE SS for Hwy patrol (marked and Unmarked) and mostly BFs and FGs for General Duty.

But lately, I've spotted 4 different FG F6s in the past 3 weeks out this way that all of a sudden appeared out of the blue, was surprised to see them running 19"s.
They still use BF XR6T Marked cars out here aswell, they must have retired the Unmarked XR6T as I haven't seen it around lately.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #19
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It really does make you want to become a cop doesn't it
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #20
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

The FG F6's are genuine F6's out there. Easy as to spot too, state plates on a FG F6 - give away!!!

FG F6's are genuine FPV's - body kit, 18" rims the whole lot. Only way to tell is state black and gold plates. Up close you can spot the flashers on either side of front and rear plates but you need to be close to see them.

Spotted on Parramatta road this afternoon FG XR6T, un marked but had 18's BA F6 rims and Brembo's. I was snaking up traffic on Parramatta road at granville and came up beside it and stopped. Was an older fella on his own and i waved, he smiled and let me go (lucky)..! Considering i'm on L's, dark tinted visor and snaking up betwen lanes of traffic i was very lucky...

If you're worried about the coppas do three things..

1) Don't bloody speed
2) Get one of those "birdies from wa" trust me - they will save your license
3) buy a bike and learn to ride...

I see less and less SS's on road, more and more FPV's for NSW...

Cheers

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 01:38 AM   #21
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Every unmarked pursuit car around here (Western Sydney) has strobe lights on either side of the rear plates - dead giveaway. Unmarked F6's are a regular sighting on my trip home from the city, particularly on the M5 through Liverpool. There's a green F6 I've seen numerous times sitting quietly with a radar around the Campbelltown area too. Personally I think it's overkill, these police officers are just having too much fun with cars they don't need. And if they really have to have them, don't put giant lights either side of the plates... nobody is going to speed past a car with obvious strobe lights.

And regarding having F6s as a regular in the unmarked fleet, I'm against it. These cars and their exclusivity are better off in the hands of private buyers - not being thrashed by police then sold cheap at auction, thus degrading resale of FPVs in general. I've never seen an HSV police car...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #22
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
,they must have retired the Unmarked XR6T as I haven't seen it around lately.
Nah its just on a secondment at the moment, back soon...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #23
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I've never seen an HSV police car...
Would an R8 handle the duties? Flip side, a feather in FPV's cap....

Old 18-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #24
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
Would an R8 handle the duties? Flip side, a feather in FPV's cap....
Considering the backbone of their fleet are VE SSs..... yes. There is probably more of an issue that the police refuse to use XR8s anymore.
Old 18-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #25
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

birdies from WA??

ok im curious lol

where i live...one copper to cover four or five towns...never out after midnight never a gun or camera after midnight
gotta love the country
oh...and i finish work at midnight. woot!!!
but when they decide to hit the area with cameras, they hit the area with cameras, bikes, rbt you name it and its usually on a long weekend when the Rally is on.
aint seen a cop car in ages over here, so im not even sure what they are running
im guessing its still VE's
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #26
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They do dispatch city highway cars to regional towns, it's not uncommon for Harbourside highway to get sent way out west for road safety operations etc.
Old 18-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #27
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Considering the backbone of their fleet are VE SSs..... yes. There is probably more of an issue that the police refuse to use XR8s anymore.
VE SS is one thing, comparing R8 to F6 for highway duties in another. Loaded with all their gear there is not a chance in hell the R8 would be comparable to the F6...

As for XR8, well who would blame them for refusing to want them? They can't do a u-turn without stalling
Ford have a fight on their hands if they want the XR8 back in highway fleets next year (assuming we get the new motors).. For that to happen it has to knock the turbo off its perch, a tough order

Old 18-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #28
turbo_man

around my area (sutherland shire) theres a lime green VE SS around the area and judging by how when it's around no one is speeding everyone knows its a cop car (the lights beside the plates are a dead giveaway).
turbo_man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #29
braad
Lost

im from the st george area in sydney, and i've seen almost a 50/50 split between private/police F6's. Admittedly, they've been BF F6s and not FG. My Brother and i always check for lights/laptops/uniformed police in them. Also doesnt help that most of them are the bright colours, cant exactly miss an orange or blue car amongst the myriads of silver exec vehicles

Im a car spotter, so basically if i see a unmodified F6 back off coz it's quite possibly a copper. See a few VE SS's too, but i pay less attention to them :P But i have seen the VE mentioned above by turbo man, there's also one in that purple colour thats always cruising about St george/Sutherland areas.
braad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #30
r3dfutura
r3dfutura

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_man
around my area (sutherland shire) theres a lime green VE SS around the area and judging by how when it's around no one is speeding everyone knows its a cop car (the lights beside the plates are a dead giveaway).
that green SS pulled me over about a month ago for a random breath test, if you look closely now around the shire, there are 3 unmarked FG typhoons rolling around, there are one of each octane/bionic/vixen cars that ive spotted, they all have really dark tint aswell
Police Mode
Upper+Lower Chrome Grilles
Tint
2.5" X-Force Catback System
5x7 Splits in the back, Sony XPLOD Sub, Cadence 4 Channel Amp
:

more
r3dfutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post