Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-11-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
99_falcon

Talking Women and Cars

This is for all the men here with wives and partners who are not interested in cars or anything about them. Today I got home from doing some shopping (things for my car) and I go up to my fiancee and in an excited voice I go 'oo ooo ooo' and she gets all curious and wants to know what I've been up to so I run through the house and come back holding an oil filter. 'oh is that all' she says. I'm like 'what do you mean is that all?'. She didn't even know why I had it. Sometime I just have to come onto ford forums to be able to talk cars. Does anybody else have this problem?

Old 25-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

My wife hates cars - like I hate her Netball...

Its a compromise we have...
She gets to play her stupid netball...
I get to play with cars....

The best thing is, the kids like the cars more than netball... so they get involved too!!!
Old 25-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife hates cars, and thought I'd change when we got married.
I currently have 6, so I think she has learned never to force anyone to change.... Her dad and grandmother think it's pretty cool that I muck around with cars, so she is fighting a loosing battle.
I'm currently trying to get her to watch Love the Beast...
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Karnage
Finger Painter

My wife loves cars nearly as much as I do, but I can't say that either of us would get excited about an oil filter. Unless of course its CNC'd bllet unobtainium that comes with a free 6/71.
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mine likes cars just hates the maintainace and building of them

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
99_falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage
My wife loves cars nearly as much as I do, but I can't say that either of us would get excited about an oil filter. Unless of course its CNC'd bllet unobtainium that comes with a free 6/71.
I wouldn't either normally but my car has been in long need of an oil change and I just havn't had the money to do it sooo I am quite excited that I can give it an oil change in the weekend.
Old 25-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Single now so i don't have to worry! hehe

But when my ex did come cruising she loved it, just hated the time i spent stuffing around cleaning, fiddling, fixing, upgrading - oh and she especially hated the fact i spent a lot more money in my car then her!!

I've still got the car though so i guess it was a better investment lol
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Mine loves cars but for the love of god she refuses to learn to drive a manual so she can drive the Mustang.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #9
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isn't that a good thing?
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_falcon
I go up to my fiancee and in an excited voice I go 'oo ooo ooo' and she gets all curious and wants to know what I've been up to so I run through the house and come back holding an oil filter. 'oh is that all' she says. I'm like 'what do you mean is that all?'.
someone gets easily excited :

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #11
Karnage
Finger Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_falcon
I wouldn't either normally but my car has been in long need of an oil change and I just havn't had the money to do it sooo I am quite excited that I can give it an oil change in the weekend.

still....an oil filter? I don't know, how many people really get excited about service items? :
Old 25-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #12
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

: Good thread - let's say, my wife puts up with cars, I have the garage, she goes to the gym - which the results are very good on the eye. My brother is a mad HSV guy and I'm the Ford nutter, so she has to put up with the veritable wars that eventuate when the supercars are running, but she does not have the passion for cars - just noise and an endless waste of money being poured into a veritable black hole.

LOL - 99Falcon got excited following purchase of a new oil filter, I can feel the pain - when I got home with a bran spankin new 2.5inch stainless steel system,hi flo cats, paceys - rushed inside, advised the wife to come outside to hear this great sound - the result - that sounds great, by the way, can you go and pick up something from the shop.

Another example - I gave in to the better halves judgement and sold the great love of my life, an XY GT to purchase another home, that was a sunday cruiser and a half, just turning it on made the carport shake.

Joined a FPV club a couple of years back so the wife can join in, that also ended in disaster as the cruises can become a little bit spirited at times, so that was dismissed as another thing for the guys to enjoy - but hey, I still love her to bits.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 07:18 PM   #13
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My other half doesn't understand the bond and attachment us blokes have to our cars.

She only sees them as a means of transport, doesnt car if it is dirty or scratched but knows better than to bring it home with the later.

She hates my old cortina, thinks its a death trap, hates the XE cause it is big and square and hates the BAXR6 for no real reason.

Good thing is she doesnt begrudge me playing around with them but she always has a suggestion on other things round the yard i could be doing!
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
T3man
Banned

You get THAT excited over an oil filter!?? You need to get out more. LOL.

However, I do know what you mean ... I'm very lucky though with my lady. Two years ago (we were at her parent's with all her family for xmas) I gave her a pair of Hot Dogs for her car (TS50). She proudly marched them around the house (oo ooing and all) and her father and two brothers were quite jealous! LOL.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #15
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thinking the same thing i dont blame you partner at all for not getting excited about a oil filter unless it changes itself.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
Karnage
Finger Painter

Wait...what brand was it?
Old 25-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #17
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
her car (TS50)
nuff said!

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #18
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
You get THAT excited over an oil filter!?? You need to get out more. LOL.

However, I do know what you mean ... I'm very lucky though with my lady. Two years ago (we were at her parent's with all her family for xmas) I gave her a pair of Hot Dogs for her car (TS50). She proudly marched them around the house (oo ooing and all) and her father and two brothers were quite jealous! LOL.

Enough, enough - you've got the whole lot
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #19
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't have a partner but a chick just approached me in the coles carpark and asked what the N.R.N.R sticker on my panel van stood for. Classic. She got all excited and we're going out for a cruise Saturday. Mmmm, women and cars.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 07:59 PM   #20
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
Don't have a partner but a chick just approached me in the coles carpark and asked what the N.R.N.R sticker on my panel van stood for. Classic. She got all excited and we're going out for a cruise Saturday. Mmmm, women and cars.
HAHA lucky you!!!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 08:00 PM   #21
fos408

Default wife

I lucking mine understands the reason for a garage and why I love spending time in it , likes cruising in the older quite stuff but doesnt enjoy the modified one as it hurts her neck when it changes gear ( crook neck) but is quite happy to let me go out for a cruise. Also doesnt mined if I spend the money on them. I am bloody blessed considering ,all I could ask for more is if she was a mechanic
fos408 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 08:30 PM   #22
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
Grouse - how does it feel to be the only panel van driver who has picked up since 1984?

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 09:17 PM   #23
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

one of the reasons i married my wife was because she'd prefer an XR/XT over an excel
oh and she's a ford girl, i think she turned me to fords!
Old 25-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #24
99_falcon

Really people I don't normally get excited over oil filters, this being the 1st time but when u start your car every morning and know that the oil in your engine is as old as the car itself (its not really, just a figure of speech)...I guess im more excited over the fact I can finally change the oil.
Old 25-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #25
SKITZD

At the opposite end of the scale I have had boyfriends who hated cars and anything car related!!

I would go come home with stuff I'd just bought for one of the cars (all excited) and they'd look at me and go... 'meh'...

Lets just say those relationships didn't last long!
SKITZD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 09:51 PM   #26
MrsM

I'm not *that* into cars but I can definitely say I am more interested in them that my husband. I dont build them but my knowledge IS growing - the last couple of times our cars broke down I knew what the (minor) problem was when hubby was there trying to get the radiator cap off a hot engine... *sigh*
Old 25-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #27
zdcol71
zdcol71

I have posted something similar to this elsewhere, but it's a beautifully ironic thread.. so here's my "woman and cars" When I was 19 or 20 I bought a zd , not long after, I met my future(ex) wife,who told me in no uncertain terms that it was either "me or the Pimp Mobile" You guessed it, the pimp mobile went, and I got married,and to this day I am still heartbroken that I was with her (only slightly) longer than I was with the Fairlane.Upside is, now the kids are (financially) of my hands and I have a rusty, sad looking ZD in the shed just waiting for the attention I should have given one 30 years ago.
Persevere with your partners who"don't get it" ,and be thankfull for those who do, but don't let any of them stop you doing something you love.
Old 25-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #28
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine doesn't get it at all.

I buy an item that is an upgrade from the standard item and each and every time I get ' There was nothing wrong with the old one'. Then we get into a fight about money, despite the fac tthat she is in no waty supporting my modding habit. I earn a pretty good wage all on my own thanks!

As a result any upgrades I get done are done on the quiet and I don't do anything that is too noticeable. I don't feel good about decieving her but I am not going to change and conform. I don't see why I should as I was into bikes and cars and tinkering with them when she met me.

For example, the ute I recently sold was tuned and modded. It ran a lot better than standard, but to the untrained eye it looked bog stock except for the shiny intercooler (which went unnoticed).

I spent around $5000 modding it but the only thing she picked up was the FPV steering wheel and the gauges, which I told her cost bugger all to save myself the argument. She also noticed the slightly louder exhaust but I explained this by saying that I had hit something which punctured a hole in the centre muffler, so I had it removed.

I have a small stash of money that I add to every week to play with the car and bike. Its usually $100 a week.

When I have the cash required for a mod or upgrade, I buy the gear and mod.

No new rims or lowering or anything to give the game away. Just mechanical upgrades and a tune.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #29
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
My wife hates cars - like I hate her Netball...

Its a compromise we have...
She gets to play her stupid netball...
I get to play with cars....

The best thing is, the kids like the cars more than netball... so they get involved too!!!
I like watching netball....

Not for the game
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #30
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

My other half is a big ford fan like myself. But doesn't understand how I can keep putting money into my big, yankee money box hehehehe.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post