Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-12-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Avatar the movie.. Simply Amazing...

What can I say.....

Just got back from watching Avatar. If you havn't seen it, I believe you should.

If you're not a Sci-Fi fan, do it for the CGI (or whatever they call it these days).

I could not split the real from the fake in most scenes. The movie goes for almost 3 hrs, yet you never find yourself looking at the time wondering when it will finish.

It also gives an interesting insight to our own human nature, with many scenes mirroring our own stolen generations.

No wonder the movie has a score of around 8.9/10 on IMDB.

If this is a taste of things to come regarding the advancement of computer graphics on the big screen, we have about 3-4 years left for traditional actors and movie sets.

Anyone else agree / disagree? Havn't seen a thread started on this as yet.

Cheers,

Jason.

Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 03:08 AM   #2
BHDOGS
Banned

i saw it its ok that whole stolen generation crap needs to be thrown out the window its just a movie doesnt have to be compared to the birth of jesus or the defeating of hitler its just a movie why people have to add complexity to something or the producer has to add crap about what it means spiritually and mentality is beyond me.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #3
vik351
Banned

Heard it had a crappy ending...

vik... : : :
vik351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Corzza

A fantastic movie!

yeah the ending was so so

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Thought it was a good movie but exceptionally predictable.

The special effects are amazing though.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
i saw it its ok that whole stolen generation crap needs to be thrown out the window its just a movie doesnt have to be compared to the birth of jesus or the defeating of hitler its just a movie why people have to add complexity to something or the producer has to add crap about what it means spiritually and mentality is beyond me.
But that's what makes a movie worth seeing... How many movies do we watch have subliminal themes and all that other 'crap'.

How good would a movie be if it showed every day life for an every day person with no complications or complexity?

If all that 'crap' was not in the movie, we would have a bunch of white / black guys going to a planet, mining it to death then returning home.

But then we can say the conveyed message was about how we pillage the environment.

But you obviously didn't like it, and thats fair enough.
Old 22-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
capriv8

After watching countless crap movies, this movie was a breath of fresh air, every movie should be up to the quality of avatar as a minimum otherwise dont charge people to watch them. For the first time in years of attending the cinema the audience clapped at the end to show there appreciation.
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Yep saw it on sunday night, it was pretty good. The graphics and scenery were eye popping.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seeing it at the Imax in 3D tomorrow night!!

I think my brain might implode from the graphics
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 03:32 PM   #10
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

(Warning, bit of a spoiler contained within my comment so don't read on if you don't like knowing what it's about)

Yep, I saw it on the Imax screen with my young bloke, it was pretty good. Story line was ho hum. It reminded me of the typical western movie where the cowboys want the land so they drive off the indians.

Of course there's a whiteman who falls for the chiefs daughter. She has a brother who hates this intruder coming into their tribe but eventually they become brothers. The chief gets killed but together the princess and the whiteman gathers all the other indian tribes to fight off the cowboys and win.

How many times have we seen that storyline. They even had horses (of a sort), with bows and arrows against guns.

But someone has one hell of an imagination, the wildlife on that planet was awesome and you forgot you were watching what was in essence a cartoon most of the time.
Still it was very well done and recommended.
Old 22-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #11
LOWAU

IMAX or normal cinemas? which one do you think will be better?
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dunno but usually seeing any epic movie on the biggest screen in the world like in Sydney will be pretty good.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #13
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went to see it on Sunday as well. Absolutly Loved it! Only thing i disliked was the fact my eyes kept getting sore from the crappy glasses :P
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 05:13 PM   #14
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Hmmm a movie about humanoid cats. Previews looked crap. Won't be seeing it.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #15
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Not a bad movie, I'd give it a 8.5/10...

I guess when you spend US$500M on a movie, the CGI effects are going to be impressive!

But when you take away all the glamour of it, it's just another "greedy humans stealing the indigenous people's resources/land" story.

My friend really wanted to see it in 3D, which was a nice touch but I still prefer viewing it in normal 2D or human lenses.

Ending was predictable...

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Bent8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

yeh i didnt bother going to see it either because the previews were so bad, not sure weather to regret it or not yet...
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #17
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yet another movie with a message...... ho hum

The mere fact that everyone recognises that there is a "not so hidden agenda" frees them to just enjoy it as the work of fiction it is.

Hanks and Speilbergs bias in almost everything they do has not stopped me enjoying Da Vinci Code, Angels and Demons, Band of Brothers et al.
Baz Luhrmans "Australia" was about as subtle as a sledge hammer as is almost everthing from Pixar/Disney.

Who cares what their message or agenda is.

Watch the movie and enjoy it or not.
Sometimes there is a lesson other times a lie and often a mixture of both.
As long as you can tell reality from fantasy then it is all good.

P.S. I haven't seen it yet but will. I am just waiting until the schoolie hords abate.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #18
Fled74
The Thread Killa

My wife and I just saw it in 3D and that extra depth just draws you in. Being film geeks and sci-fi fans, we thoroughly enjoyed it.

The creature design was exceptional and the military hardware was believable and realistic. Even the design of the planet Pandora, while fantastical, still felt grounded in reality. I bought into it 100%

Were I to compare it to other movies, I'd say "Avatar" is like a cross between "Dances With Wolves", "Aliens", "The Last Samurai" and "The Matrix", filtered through Hayao Miyazaki.

While the IMAX 3D tickets are pricey, a movie like this is worth every cent. I don't think I can bear to watch it in plain old 2D now.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #19
Michael_F90

I saw it on opening night and came to the conclusion Avatar is the best movie ever! Loved every minute of it and recommend everyone sees it.

Really makes you see the issue behind it (human greed) and makes you think about it, which is what a great movie does in my books.
Michael_F90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 11:02 PM   #20
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by capriv8
After watching countless crap movies, this movie was a breath of fresh air, every movie should be up to the quality of avatar as a minimum otherwise dont charge people to watch them. For the first time in years of attending the cinema the audience clapped at the end to show there appreciation.
I wonder how many cinemas had the audience clap? I went and saw it on saturday and the audience clapped at the end too. I thought it was a good movie, thoroughly entertaining whilst being highly predictable.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 11:18 PM   #21
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

It is a real chick flick! Take the missus ....she will love it!

Hey with only a few days till Xmas....I am sure sure will forgive you!!
Old 22-12-2009, 11:26 PM   #22
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The preview of it doesnt interest me and to be honest i dont see what such the big hype is with it. The graphics seem just like any other CGI.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #23
Fordman87
Starter Motor

Im going to see it 2moro!!!! Looks to be the goods!
Fordman87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 01:13 AM   #24
High_Octane
Orrsomoot

My 2 cents.

Went and saw this on sunday night. Great movie! Best i`ve seen a while. Lots of ppl have opinions on lots of things and that is fine, its the way it should be. Thing is keep things in perspective and realise like most movies (especially special FX blockbusters) they are a bit of escapism and entertainment. Not your cup of tea sweet dont go and see it. like this kind of thing and are entertained by movies then you will like this movie.
Ghost of FPV past : 2010 FPV GS Ute Build No.132
2006 Super Pursuit Build No.23

Great white whale: XB GT Coupe
High_Octane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2009, 01:33 AM   #25
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
The preview of it doesnt interest me and to be honest i dont see what such the big hype is with it. The graphics seem just like any other CGI.
Based on what, the short preview you saw?

The 3D work in this film is like nothing seen before.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
The film was released in traditional 2D and 3D formats, along with an IMAX 3D release in selected theaters. Avatar is officially budgeted at $237 million; some estimates put the cost at $280 – $310 million to produce and an estimated $150 million for marketing. The film is being touted as a breakthrough in terms of filmmaking technology, for its development of 3D viewing and stereoscopic filmmaking with cameras that were specially designed for the film's production. Opening to critical acclaim, it grossed an estimated $27 million on its opening day and an estimated $77,025,481 domestically its opening weekend. Worldwide, the film grossed an estimated $232,180,000 its opening weekend, the ninth largest opening-weekend gross of all time, and the largest for a non-franchise, non-sequel and original film.
Damn, thats one expensive movie!
Old 23-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #26
fatbats
Starter Motor

Saw it today in 3D and i have to say it was very impressive
fatbats is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 12:39 AM   #27
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Based on what, the short preview you saw?

The 3D work in this film is like nothing seen before.

From Wikipedia:
I ended up seeing this last night. Was a good movie. Better than I expected but I did think it went a bit long. The others I went with kept checking the time.
The scenery graphics were quite impressive. The characters and animals etc were still the same cgi to me. Was like watching a video game for the most part.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 12:54 AM   #28
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbats
Saw it today in 3D and i have to say it was very impressive

Agreed, the new generation 3D is very impressive and this is THE movie to do it justice.

The rumor is this will be the first of a trilogy. Apparently the figures show it's on the way to beating Titanic's record of the highest grossing movie.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 01:38 AM   #29
nstg8a

brilliant movie, but as said earlier very very predictable.

we went to the 3d version but cos of my eyes i dont see the 3d, and the image quality is crap if you take your glass's off (obviously lol) but the missus reckoned it was unreal
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 11:18 AM   #30
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I saw it 2 weeks ago in Imax 3D. I thought the 3D was great but the movie it's self was o.k. I liked the graphics and what not but the story was crap.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post