Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Default FORD recall of 20,864 BF Series II and III and FG Falcon E-Gas vehicles

FORD has been forced to recall more than 20,000 cars because of a potential brake problem.

The recall involves 20,864 BF Series II and III and the new FG Falcon sedan, wagon and utility fitted with the factory-fitted LPG system, called E-Gas, which are popular with fleets and tradesmen.

The cars affected were built from January 16, 2007 to August 22, 2008.

The defect involves the brake booster check valve, which may develop a vacuum leak.

Ford spokesman Justin Lacy said the valve can develop a leak, leading to reduced power assistance for the brakes.

Worried owners should contact their local Ford dealer or Ford's customer relations line on 1800 503 672.

In recent months, Ford has been hit with a range of glitches that are damaging its hard-fought reputation.

In March it was forced to recall 83,000 SX and SY Territorys to replace front brake hoses after widespread consumer reports of brake failures.

Carsguide has uncovered quality problems at the Victorian Broadmeadows plant after months of consumer complaints covering everything from brakes to rust and paint.

The most recent concerns relate to front balljoint failures on high-mileage Territorys.

Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Yup heard this on the 1000 news on JJJ but nothing on the ford site then or google.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 12:45 PM   #3
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

I heard it on ABC - so it must be true (LOL), and then found it on line at: www.adelaidenow.com.au as its no where on the ABC website.
Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

wonder how accurate those dates are. mines manufactured dec06, so i guess that means i'm in the clear.

on a side note, my old man had a new booster fitted to his ba because it had an issue where the brakes were coming on just enough to cause a bad noise/vibration whilst driving. was very intermittant and the only way to stop it once it started was to stop and go again. turned out to be the booster.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 01:12 PM   #5
kinggee

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in.../itemId/973099

Ford—Ford BF Series II and FG Falcon E-Gas vehicles —Brake Booster Check Valve (Refer to Recall number 2009/10855 - 5 June 2009)

PRA number: 2010/11455
Date created: 26th February 2010

Product information
Product description
BF Series III and FG Falcon sedan, wagon and utility fitted with the E-Gas engine (factory LPG system) and built from 20 October 2008 to 4 September 2009 inclusive.

Identifying features
Campaign number: S0903S1
Target number: 9072

What are the hazards?
Under certain conditions, the vacuum supply from the LPG engine to the brake booster may develop a vacuum leak at the check valve. This could result in reduced power assistance to the vehicle's service brakes.

What are the defects?
The brake booster check valve may develop a vacuum leak.

Where the product was sold
National

Supplier
Ford Motor Company of Australia Limited

What should consumers do?
Ford will write to owners of all affected vehicles at their last known address. For further information, contact any authorised Ford Dealer or Ford's Customer Relationship Centre on 1800 503 672.
kinggee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

Mitsubishi had an identical recall to this...
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose
Mitsubishi had an identical recall to this...
Yep was just thinking that. Lancer and Outlander.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Spitfire 6.2
V6 3L

Seems like deja vu, didnt they just have a recall for brakes on gas Falcons late last year.
Spitfire 6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
bystander31
Starter Motor

Yeah I'm fairly sure I took my Wagon in for this last year? Whats going on? A recall on a recall?
bystander31 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #10
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Good time to clear these things up while all the attention is on Toyota's issues..

I don't see it too much as a problem as long as do something about it...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 12:21 AM   #11
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are they going to automatically inspect/replace (i.e. recall) or just wait for the customer to complain?

I have a few of these stickers recall notice stickers attached to my '03 VY1 SV8 but was never called actually recalled and never actually had a problem ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 12:36 AM   #12
prydey
Rob

the % of cars that will actually incur a problem during operation is probably very small, but the fact that there is a 'chance' means that ford need to rectify it.

i like how they can pin point what period of time the affected vehicles were manufactured, but you have to wonder how accurate this is.

as most know, the ba had an issue with cross contamination with coolant/trans fluid. this was never actually recalled and a lot of people took steps 'just in case'. there were however a few that were recalled. one of the reps at my work was sent a letter from ford to bring it back and they replaced gearbox, radiator and all piping, as a recall. same thing, apparently only a particular batch of vehicles.

whats puzzling is, you can have an identical problem, but your build date is not within the 'problem' batch, so you aren't covered.
Old 28-02-2010, 02:02 AM   #13
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
whats puzzling is, you can have an identical problem, but your build date is not within the 'problem' batch, so you aren't covered.
That depends on weather it is TRULY the same problem and if you complain loud enough to be heard, it ISN'T always so cut and dried. Ford at times will fix these kind of things on vehicles outside their guide-lines like the BA/BF brake Hoses and the the current Booster check valve.
Always give things like that a try...
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 02:05 AM   #14
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats odd... I was given a different date range for the affected vehicles... beginning October 2009. Will have to have another look at the press release I got.

My ute had a recall a few months ago for the same thing, looks like its going back
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 03:35 AM   #15
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe manufacturers are being a bit more "caring" after Toyota's public execution .. especially something as fundamental as brakes (or steering)
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 11:34 AM   #16
partzkid

wish ford would pull thier finger out, this has been happening since the BA days
partzkid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #17
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by partzkid
wish ford would pull thier finger out, this has been happening since the BA days
True, but they are getting better... FG is a quantum leap forward and it's continually BA/SY/BF issues plaguing them.

I still can't fathom why the valve is different on E-Gas from petrol variants..

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 02:22 PM   #18
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
I still can't fathom why the valve is different on E-Gas from petrol variants..
Maybe Gas has a higher engine compression ratio so it needs a different check valve
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
Maybe Gas has a higher engine compression ratio so it needs a different check valve
egas compression was higher in ba days. i think the bf petrol got a compression hike and now they are the same.
Old 28-02-2010, 06:10 PM   #20
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
I'm thinking different moulding to accommodate e-gas running gear. Booster is fed by crank case pressure, vacuum. Pressure or vacuum to brake booster (fed by crank case pressures in rocker cover) shouldn't differ from turbo to petrol to gas....

Old 28-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #21
Barry_v
rocknrolla

probably all the lpg backfires giving the valve a hard time ;)
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #22
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
probably all the lpg backfires giving the valve a hard time ;)
you get that with 40 year old technology...

Old 01-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Ford recalls more E-Gas Falcons

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576D80081478F

Quote:
9072 more E-Gas Falcons recalled as Ford offers fix for Territory ball joints

1 March 2010

By MARTON PETTENDY

FORD Australia has recalled a further 9072 LPG-fuelled Falcon E-Gas vehicles to fix a faulty brake booster check valve that could result in reduced braking power assistance.

Announced on Friday (February 26) and affecting all factory-fitted LPG versions of the BF Series III and new FG Falcon sedan, wagon and utility built between October 20, 2008 and September 4, 2009.

The latest Falcon E-Gas recall follows Ford’s June 5, 2009 recall of some 20,864 BFII/III and FG Falcon models sold between January 16, 2007 and August 22, 2008, bringing the total number of affected vehicles to 29,936.

Ford Australia spokesperson Sinead McAlary confirmed the fresh LPG Falcon recall was a continuation of last year’s recall and that all known owners of affected vehicles would be contacted by mail. Alternatively, they can contact any Ford dealer or Ford’s Customer Relationship Centre on 1800 503 672.

“We had fixed the brake booster valves in a certain car parc of cars, but the supplier has now come back and said we’d better extend that to include a few more because they mucked up the part in a larger number of cars,” said Ms McAlary.

Ford says that under certain conditions, the vacuum supply from the LPG engine to the brake booster might develop a vacuum leak at the check valve.

“This could result in reduced power assistance to the vehicle's service brakes.”

Ford will release next-generation liquid gas injection versions of the E-Gas Falcon later this year to replace the simpler venturi/mixer vaporisation system, to comply with tighter new Euro 4 emissions standards due in effect from July.

Ford last year announced separate braking-related recalls for 800 examples of its 2008 and 2009 model year LV Focus and MA Mondeo diesel in May and, two months earlier, all SX and SY-series Territory models (excluding the Turbo) built between February 2004 and December 2008.

Australia’s only locally manufactured SUV has also become affected by a widening ball joint problem, for which Ford has this week confirmed it will foot the entire bill.

Ford has admitted all versions of its original Territory, which was released in 2004 and continued until early 2009, when a different ball joint design was fitted, are potentially affected by an excessive wear issue that can lead to “ball joint separation while undertaking low-speed, high steering effort manoeuvres”.

Ms McAlary confirmed a “small number” of such incidents have been reported but stressed that the majority of instances of excessive ball joint wear were discovered and rectified by Ford dealers during routine servicing.

Previously, Ford’s policy was that all Territorys would be repaired free of charge if they were still under new-vehicle warranty, while Ford contributed between 50 and 100 per cent of the cost for vehicles outside warranty, judged on a case-by-case basis.

In the latest development of an issue that is not officially classed as a safety recall but could potentially amount to expensive fixes for more than 85,000 vehicles, Ford now says its dealers will replace suspect ball joints, free of charge, if they find significant wear.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #24
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.caradvice.com.au/58814/fo...dels-recalled/

Quote:
Ford Falcon BFIII and FG E-Gas models recalled

March 1, 2010 by Matt Brogan

Ford has today announced the recall of its BF Mark III and FG Falcon E-Gas sedan, wagon and utility variants for a potential issue with the car’s braking system.

The recall affects only those vehicles fitted with Ford’s E-Gas engine (dedicated factory LPG system) built between October 20, 2008 and September 4, 2009 inclusive (9,072 vehicles).

The recall is necessary because under certain conditions, the vacuum supply from the LPG engine to the brake booster may develop a vacuum leak at the check valve. This could result in reduced power assistance to the vehicle’s service brakes.

Owners of affected vehicles will be contacted by mail. If you have purchased a used vehicle fitting this description, or have changed your address details since purchasing the car new, you may wish to contact Ford Australia’s customer service centre on 13 FORD (13 36 73).
Old 01-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #25
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thats exactly what Ford dont need with a new gas system coming!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #26
prydey
Rob

when it says 'sold' between jan 07 and .... do they mean 'sold' or manufactured? mine is manufactured dec06 but sold jan7. guess i'll make a phonecall in the morning.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:42 PM   #27
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Not really anything to do with the new gas system though. But I can see the corelation.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:15 AM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
when it says 'sold' between jan 07 and .... do they mean 'sold' or manufactured? mine is manufactured dec06 but sold jan7. guess i'll make a phonecall in the morning.

I would say it means built. bad choice of words chosen in the article.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #29
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

GoAuto reported on this as well, and they seem to explain it a bit better.

Interestingly, this LPG recall seems to have overshadowed the announcement that Ford will now repair worn Territory Ball Joints for free even if out of warranty, but have not declared a recall on it:

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576D80081478F

Lukeyson
Old 02-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #30
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well the new system is more than 5-6 months away.. Better to get it out of the way before we get closer to the new gas system I guess.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post