Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-03-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Holden Combo Recall

Holden Combo among flurry of fresh recalls

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2576E000065560

Quote:
Exploding airbags, engine fires and park brake failures force latest recalls

8 March 2010

By MARTON PETTENDY

SIX popular models have been recalled in the two weeks since Ford Australia extended its high-profile June 2009 recall to fix faulty brake booster check valves on a further 9000-plus E-Gas Falcons.

Three commercial vehicles were recalled on the same day as the LPG Falcons (February 26), including Holden’s Combo, the Peugeot Expert and Mercedes-Benz’s Vito and Viano, with a fourth following on March 2 in Hyundai’s iLoad and iMax.

Australia’s two latest automotive recalls, issued on March 5, involve problems with the steering gear on Volvo’s XC60 and parking brakes on Ford’s FG Falcon ute.

The latter relates only to 667 examples of the current FG Falcon ute fitted with a three-position bench seat and column-shift automatic transmission, built between July 23, 2009 and February 22, 2010.

According to Ford, a potential manufacturing defect could result in the parking brake of affected vehicles being inadvertently released if knocked while engaged.

In the case of the mid-size XC60 crossover, Volvo says a steering gear problem that could affect up to 1320 MY2009 and MY2010 vehicles (with VINs ranging between 000001 and 086575) may lead to an engine bay fire or sudden loss of steering.

“Investigations have identified that the steering gear high pressure lines joint connecting to the steering gear may not be properly assembled,” said Volvo.

“Should this condition occur the customer may notice oil leakage. In the worst case scenario, due to the high pressure in the system and the specific engine installation, oil may be sprayed onto hot surfaces potentially resulting in smoke formation or ignition of oil, possibly leading to engine bay fire.

“As the oil leakage is substantial a sudden loss of steering assistance may occur.”

Holden has advised the equally alarming potential for the airbags and/or seatbelt pretensioners in its small XC Combo van to deploy unintentionally due to a possible air-conditioning drain tube blockage that may cause water to enter the airbag control module.

The problem affects some 6514 Combo models with VINs ranging between W0L0XCF2523003520 and W0L0XCF2584461165.

A problem also afflicts 101 versions of Peugeot’s small Partner commercial built between July 2007 and December 2008, this time relating to wear and tear of the fuel return pipe from the engine cover. No potential outcome is listed for the condition.

In the case of the large TQ-V iLoad and TQ-W iMax vans, Hyundai says that a batch of throttle cables was delivered to the production line without a polymer sleeve, the absence of which “may restrict the movement of the cable to control the actuation of the engine throttle.

“This interference may increase the effort required for pedal operation and in some instances may affect the driveability of the vehicle,” said Hyundai.

The throttle cable issue affects 539 Hyundai vehicles equipped with a 2.4-litre petrol engine and built between April 28 and June 30, 2009.

Finally, proving that Mercedes-Benz is not immune to product recalls, the Type 639 Vito and Viano van has been called back to have its rear vent windows replaced before they fall off.

According to Mercedes: “The adhesive strength between the left and right rear vent window and its forward mounting hinge may be insufficient.

“Under certain conditions this may lead to the window pane detaching unexpectedly from its mounting point and thereby pose a hazard to other road users.”

Benz says 140 Vito and Viano vans built between October-December 2005 and March-April 2006 are affected.

The manufacturer of each model in question will notify the owners of all affected vehicles.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

So whats the bet for the next vehicle to be recalled? seems like everything is being recalled at the moment!
Old 08-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

surprised they didnt just recall the combos cause they are pieces of crap.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

So the title is Holden combo recall and more than 50% of the article is about Ford?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:24 PM   #5
xr6turboford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i_SiX
So the title is Holden combo recall and more than 50% of the article is about Ford?
Goes to show how the media likes to stick the boot into Ford and give Holden a slap on the wrist. Go figure! :
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 12:49 AM   #6
morak001
460 - cubes torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF_302
So whats the bet for the next vehicle to be recalled? seems like everything is being recalled at the moment!
The up side to me is that it seems the manufacturers are putting an effort into fixing their previous stuff ups, hopefully also raising their manufacturing/engineering standards for future builds too?

Result=better cars.... or am I being too optimistic?
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 12:57 AM   #7
burnz
VFII SS UTE

according to govco, holden is recalling combo for the aircon
http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in.../itemId/952863
burnz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #8
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Wow, the handbrake on the falcon is almost a headline according to Martin Prettendy (pretending to be a journo) despite the fact that when on, most cars would be in park and unoccupied yet; the combo has pretensioners and airbags going off which gets one line. Mixed priorities much?

Quote: