Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2010, 07:41 PM   #1
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Default Slow driver causes accident

No joke here.... going on a drive today through the mountains. Stopped and had a great lunch and then we set off home.

Going through a very hilly and twisty section of road (80 zone) I'm passed by a guy on a bike. He was doing nothing wrong, but I don't think he saw the rolling roadblock up ahead. Easy to do on a bike with helmet etc.. No reason for this car to be so slow, but I'd estimate he was travelling an average of 30kmh thorough bends I was negotiating at 70-80 kmh (I had the joy of sitting behind him for 30km after the incident because he was also too oblivious to pull over).

Anyway the next corner is a sharp, blind, left hander going up a reasonble incline. Get around the corner to see the rolling road block has all but stopped in the middle of the road because there was a stick on the road (no joke it would have been the thicknes of a 20c piece) and the poor bloke on the bike has had to slam on his brakes hard, but unfortuntely got crossed up and ran into the back of this guy just hard enough to put the bike down at about 5 kmh.

Bike took a bit of punishment down the left hand side. Car a broken taillight.

Guy on the bike was furious, as you could imagine. By far the most pathetic thing I've ever seen someone stop on a main road for. It was like someone slamming on the brakes because there's a snail on the road. Just lucky no-one was hurt.

xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Yeah far out hey. My sister had a car accident about two years back because the lady in front stopped for a duck to cross the road. Hopeless.
Old 20-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Is it wrong for me to just want to tailgate these people so much when they drive like that?

I remember I almost had a near accident when I was driving along just this straight road with cars parked along side of it facing the direction of the road (if that makes sence) about 100m ahead of us a guy put his right hand blinker on to pull out once everyone had passed but the guy infront of me for some reason slammed on his brakes to the point of skidding just to let this guy pull out.

It took the guy in the side lane about 5 seconds to pull out after that as i'm pretty sure he was as shocked as I was that this guy had just flat footed his brakes in an 80km/h zone just to let him out.

It shocked me to the point I had to slam on my brakes and almost ran up his ***. I made a point of laying into my horn and tailgating him for the rest of that stretch of road, only to fly past him when I could.

Idiot.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351

Guy on the bike was furious, as you could imagine. By far the most pathetic thing I've ever seen someone stop on a main road for. It was like someone slamming on the brakes because there's a snail on the road. Just lucky no-one was hurt.
Years ago traveling through Rockhampton in a 80kph dual lane section, a "lady" pulled up in the right lane
and got out of her car to remove a bundle of chairs from the left lane. She successfully blocked both lanes
of rear traffic descending upon her. Didn't know what all the commotion was about but the guy on the side
of the road who'd removed the chairs a split second before her did.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR
Is it wrong for me to just want to tailgate these people so much when they drive like that?
Err, yes?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #6
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

loads of people just slam on their brakes and stop for no apparent reason... then they flick on the indicator and make a turn.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
Big Mike
Acid Rush XB Coupe

All comes backs to one thing - a SPEED DIFFERENCE is what is dangerous and kills, not a speed limit, not high speed, but deliberately causing a speed difference by being totally incompetant and/or ignorant and oblivious to the common curtesy of any other road user, by driving too slow, or too fast, for the conditions and traffic around you.

************** moron - sorry you were stuck behind them, and they weren't turffed up off the side of the road in a screaming tirrade of fury and comuppance.
Old 20-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get this every morning going thru the hills to work. Some old fool doing 30-40 below the limit, listening to talk back, oblivious to everything around them.

The reason why i have to leave half an hour earlier everyday to get to work. if i get stuck behind one of these idiots, you cant get passed and you end up late for work.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
krt10
eskyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixhc
Get this every morning going thru the hills to work. Some old fool doing 30-40 below the limit, listening to talk back, oblivious to everything around them.

The reason why i have to leave half an hour earlier everyday to get to work. if i get stuck behind one of these idiots, you cant get passed and you end up late for work.

agreed i live in the adelaide hills too and every day too an from work ( down in town) i get stuck behind some clown doing 25 in a 60. then slowing even more for the corners.

on another note ( but just as stupid) i was driving thru the tunnels on the freeway at about 11pm. th speed limit in the tunnels was slowed down to 40 because........wait for it..............a balloon on the right had lane. i kid you not. a regular balloon. can you even imagine if they did that in peakhour. needless to say i hit it with my wheel and "fixed" the problem
Old 20-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #10
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Makes you wonder how these people got their licences...many times ive seen these sort of things happening.
Just the other day, i was walkin past this L doin their driving test, the guy slowed down to a point where one could walk faster with a broken leg, to take a left turn into a completley empty street..
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

These people didn't get licenses. Or rather they did, but not in the way you or I would reasonably think.

They have come to Australia from somewhere where driving upwards of 40km/h is essentially suicide, and just transferred their license.

Either that or they passed the "test" 70+ years ago and their visual and aural senses have degraded a little (lot) since then.

By "test" I mean going into the local Police Station and asking for a license.

Another thing that frustrates me is people who drive glass cars. i.e. "If I hit this driveway at more than walking pace, my car will break." Very frustrating when they are turning off a main road.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #12
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Slow drivers

Ever been driving to work
and being slowed by drivers that want to be somewhere else
and you can tell the ones that dont realy want to be there
they sit 10 ks below the limit
and they cruise up to green lights
hoping they will turn red
they realy P me off
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 12:50 AM   #13
g220ba
FGX XR8

Being on the road all day i see some really stupid things, One of more dangerous is merging onto a freeway (100km/h) from an emergency lane at about 10 km/h and slowly speeding up, Now for me i always feel its safer to gain speed in the emergency lane (where safe to do so) and merge near enough to 100km/h.

I've always felt if you can't drive within 5% of the speed limit whether it be due to vehicle fault or driver incompetence you shouldn't be on the road. Of course adverse weather conditions are an exception.

Unfortunetly this is a problem that will never be policed as we live in a society where the slower you go the safer you'll be, which we all know is just not the case.

Also a question for the melbournians, why is the section of the ring road just after the whitten bridge (inbound) always 70km/h yet 300mtrs up the road it's up to 90-100km/h when the road's clear? It's always bugged the hell outta me.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #14
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We all know that these people can drive faster than 20 to 30 under the limit.
As soon as an overtaking lane appears they are up 10 or 30 over so no one gets past.
The bloke that stopped for the stick should have been reported by everyone who saw it
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 01:02 AM   #15
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While stopping for a small stick is rather stupid, you should always maintain a MINIMUM of two seconds from the car infront. Did an AAMI driving course last year that really targeted this. It's amazing how many people leave less than a second between vehicles. As a rule I leave three seconds minimum now. Funninly enough on the way home from the training course a ************ slammed on his brakes to turn into another road (road was like 20m infront of the idiot) in a 80km/h zone of the hiway. Had enough time to react, brake and verve into the second lane safely.

Very good rule of thumb. Minimum of two seconds and double that for wet weather.
Old 21-03-2010, 01:08 AM   #16
g220ba
FGX XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
While stopping for a small stick is rather stupid, you should always maintain a MINIMUM of two seconds from the car infront. Did an AAMI driving course last year that really targeted this. It's amazing how many people leave less than a second between vehicles. As a rule I leave three seconds minimum now. Funninly enough on the way home from the training course a ************ slammed on his brakes to turn into another road (road was like 20m infront of the idiot) in a 80km/h zone of the hiway. Had enough time to react, brake and verve into the second lane safely.

Very good rule of thumb. Minimum of two seconds and double that for wet weather.
Very good post mate but unfortunetly driving in melbourne means any gap between cars no matter how small seems to be an invitation to merge. I generally like a couple of car lengths but you can guarantee that someone will fill it pretty quickly no matter what speed traffic is flowing at.
Old 21-03-2010, 01:10 AM   #17
g220ba
FGX XR8

double post sorry.
Old 21-03-2010, 01:44 AM   #18
BHDOGS
Banned

I was always taught if your turning around a blind bend or corner u prepare yourself for something around the bend that you dont expect to be there i mean what if he had of stopped for a real reason in the middle of the road and the biker doing 80 crashed into him is that then the bikers fault or because he only stopped for a stick its suddenly not important.
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 02:08 AM   #19
Outback
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
No joke here.... going on a drive today through the mountains. Stopped and had a great lunch and then we set off home.

Going through a very hilly and twisty section of road (80 zone) I'm passed by a guy on a bike. He was doing nothing wrong, but I don't think he saw the rolling roadblock up ahead. Easy to do on a bike with helmet etc.. No reason for this car to be so slow, but I'd estimate he was travelling an average of 30kmh thorough bends I was negotiating at 70-80 kmh (I had the joy of sitting behind him for 30km after the incident because he was also too oblivious to pull over).

Anyway the next corner is a sharp, blind, left hander going up a reasonble incline. Get around the corner to see the rolling road block has all but stopped in the middle of the road because there was a stick on the road (no joke it would have been the thicknes of a 20c piece) and the poor bloke on the bike has had to slam on his brakes hard, but unfortuntely got crossed up and ran into the back of this guy just hard enough to put the bike down at about 5 kmh.

Bike took a bit of punishment down the left hand side. Car a broken taillight.

I hope the bike rider had insurance to pay for the damage he cause to the car he hit, see impatient riders and drivers like you should , either catch a bus or if your in so much of a hurry to get places , leave 30 mins earlier.
there is no law in how slow you want to travel.
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 02:20 AM   #20
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If anyone knows High St. in Shepparton, a woman nearly caused about 3 cars to smash into each other a few weeks ago, me included.. 50km zone, we were crawling at about 10-15km/h. Every time a car would over take, she'd brake to almost standing still.. great frustration from all of us. She just seemed to be totally obilvious to it all.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 02:30 AM   #21
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
I was always taught if your turning around a blind bend or corner u prepare yourself for something around the bend that you dont expect to be there i mean what if he had of stopped for a real reason in the middle of the road and the biker doing 80 crashed into him is that then the bikers fault or because he only stopped for a stick its suddenly not important.
I hear what your saying . But you should also not stop your car somwhere that not visable to oncoming traffic unless you absolutely have to ,thats just common sense .
An depending on the bike if you go really slow in some they become unstable hard to corner and keep them balenced .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 02:41 AM   #22
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
If anyone knows High St. in Shepparton, a woman nearly caused about 3 cars to smash into each other a few weeks ago, me included.. 50km zone, we were crawling at about 10-15km/h. Every time a car would over take, she'd brake to almost standing still.. great frustration from all of us. She just seemed to be totally obilvious to it all.

I know what you mean , a mates mum used to tell me off for bieng a bit eager with the throttle at times admittedly when i was a p plater i was a little to liberal with it . She used to tell me she never speeds and was a really safe driver . Well i gave her my opinion of her driving on night she took me to the pub . She drove the whole way there 20-30kph in the bike lane were possible and at least 20kph under the limit when on the road and out of the bike lane.
It was scary all the cars overtaking honking the horn i told her she need to cut her license up and get of the road befors she killed somebody.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 03:19 AM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
But you should also not stop your car somwhere that not visable to oncoming traffic unless you absolutely have to ,thats just common sense .
Scary how that wouldn't even register in a lot of the numbskull's we share the road's with..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 03:24 AM   #24
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
I know what you mean , a mates mum used to tell me off for bieng a bit eager with the throttle at times admittedly when i was a p plater i was a little to liberal with it . She used to tell me she never speeds and was a really safe driver . Well i gave her my opinion of her driving on night she took me to the pub . She drove the whole way there 20-30kph in the bike lane were possible and at least 20kph under the limit when on the road and out of the bike lane.
It was scary all the cars overtaking honking the horn i told her she need to cut her license up and get of the road befors she killed somebody.
Was she wearing a hat?

These posts have reminded me of driving North of Ingham years ago the highway gets a bit windy before the Cardwell range and these women in front would stop as soon a sa semitrailer came the other way . Luckily they were only doing about 60kph
Didnt pullover just stopped on the highway watch the trucks go by then back up to 60 in the 100 zone
Old 21-03-2010, 11:16 AM   #25
FPV70

Not sure about other sates, but here in Queensland, It is illegal to do 12K's and Under the speed limit. Supposedly seen in the same light as speeding however, this law is Not enforced.

I drive usually at the speed limit, but lets all remember, it is a LIMIT, not a minimum.

I am sure you will all agree with me as we are all Responsible motorists with the same love for our cars as our lives.

Anyway, I would still like the 12k's and under law enforced.
Old 21-03-2010, 11:21 AM   #26
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback
I hope the bike rider had insurance to pay for the damage he cause to the car he hit, see impatient riders and drivers like you should , either catch a bus or if your in so much of a hurry to get places , leave 30 mins earlier.
there is no law in how slow you want to travel.
ahh, yes there is laws for driving in a manner to cause disruption to other road users,i just hope your not driving down the road in front of me with this attitude.fools who drive like this should catch the bus
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #27
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

I'd stop for a duck, but not a stick. That doesn't mean I'd slam on brakes and cause some form of pile up.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 11:38 AM   #28
Dezza
Parts bin special

A couple of days ago I let a woman out from a servo off the side of Stud Rd. As we had a red light, I sat back to give her room, and my reward for showing a bit of courtesy was that she then chugged along at 50 in an 80 zone! Very frustrating in all honesty. 20-30kmh under is just too much!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #29
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV70
Not sure about other sates, but here in Queensland, It is illegal to do 12K's and Under the speed limit. Supposedly seen in the same light as speeding however, this law is Not enforced.

I drive usually at the speed limit, but lets all remember, it is a LIMIT, not a minimum.

I am sure you will all agree with me as we are all Responsible motorists with the same love for our cars as our lives.

Didnt know about that rule do know a bloke who got pulled over for doing 120kph about 10 years ago the copper asked him why and he said he was behind 5 caravans doing 75kph for 30kms and managed to get around them on the overtaking lane as they wouldnt pull over and where too long to overtake .

Policeman saw the caravans approaching told him to go and pulled all of the vans over
Old 21-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #30
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV70

From QLD road law and the only mention of this I can find.

Quote:
Unreasonably obstructing drivers or pedestrians
(1) A driver must not unreasonably obstruct the path of another
driver or a pedestrian.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
(2) For this section, a driver does not unreasonably obstruct the
path of another driver or a pedestrian only because—
(a) the driver is stopped in traffic; or
(b) the driver is driving more slowly than other vehicles
(unless the driver is driving abnormally slowly in the
circumstances).
Example of a driver driving abnormally slowly—
a driver driving at a speed of 20km/h on a length of road to
which a speed limit of 80km/h applies when there is no reason
for the driver to drive at that speed on the length of road
No mention of 12km/h, this seems like urban myth to me.

Someone stopping for a tree branch that they assume is a hazard, such as 20c piece diameter (could be a hazard to cyclists in the view of some people), is a legal responsibility under the same road law.

Quote:
Removing fallen etc. things from the road
(1) This section applies to a driver if—
(a) something falls onto the road from the driver’s vehicle,
or the driver, or a passenger in or on the driver’s vehicle,
puts something on the road; and
(b) there is a possibility that the thing, if left on the road,
may injure a person, obstruct the path of other drivers or
pedestrians, or damage a vehicle or anything else (for
example, the road surface).
(2) The driver must remove the thing, or take action to have the
thing removed, from the road as soon as the driver can do so
safely.
Maximum penalty—20 penalty units.
Examples of things—
a fallen load, oil, grease, a wheel chock, debris from an accident
I do not personally agree that such a small branch is a hazard, I am just suggesting some may view it as such.