Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 
Default it's coming

significant day for Ford AUS today...

Old 14-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

interesting....any details? any time frame for when this will(if) made public?
Old 14-04-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

all will be revealed today...
Old 14-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im betting coyote release
Old 14-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #5
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't think so ;)
Old 14-04-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
fg_nitro

Sweet as. Should I book some time with the Bank Manager ? :thebirds:
Old 14-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
all will be revealed today...
I can't wait, just tell us now!

Don't tell me it's 2012 already!
Old 14-04-2010, 10:13 AM   #8
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You guys are lucky, they're covering it live...

I'll get the video link for you all..
Old 14-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
fg_nitro

Please do !
Old 14-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #10
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

live coverage
Old 14-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

crap its frustrating reading that thing.....diesel blocks made in geelong..WTF (edit no it was some random).

Deal with Bosch?

Meh ill wait for the official release..LOL
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 14-04-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
crap its frustrating reading that thing.....diesel blocks made in geelong..WTF.
Yeah I agree, it seems pretty weak on details.
Diesel engine is good, but just the block?

Will have to wait for more reliable info.
Old 14-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #13
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

According to the radio, it's a cash boost from the state and federal governments.

EDIT: seems to be mentioned in the article linked to above also. Hopefully it's all good news!
Old 14-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #14
fg_nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg_nitro
Sweet as. Should I book some time with the Bank Manager ? :thebirds:
No not interested in a diesel. LOL I will wait for the V8 press release.
Old 14-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #15
Director

great news for Geelong, especially when it creates jobs and creates further investment, good luck to all the forum members that work there

Ace Ventura

FG G6
XB K code Fairmont
Old 14-04-2010, 11:38 AM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/...3901_news.html

Quote:
Ford announces $20m upgrade to Geelong casting plant

April 14th, 2010

BREAKING NEWS A $20 million environmental and technical upgrade to Ford%u2019s Geelong Casting Plant will increase the size of its workforce by 50 per cent and ensure vital automotive manufacturing skills remain in Australia.

The upgrade will create 50 new jobs at the plant, and secure the employment of 100 existing plant employees.

This morning's announcement will also provide piece of mind for hundreds of workers in Ford's supporting and supplier industries across Geelong.

Production work that was potentially headed to China will now take place in Geelong.

See hiow the Geelong Advertiser provided live coverage of this announcement. Click here.

Ford Australia president and chief executive officer Marin Burela made the announcement at the Geelong Casting Plant this morning and was flanked by Victorian Premier John Brumby, Federal Minister for Industry Senator Kim Carr, Geelong Mayor John Mitchell and a host of local MPs.

The Federal Government has committed $11.8m to the project while the State Government has also contributed financially. However Mr Brumby refused to say how much money the Victorian Government has chipped in.

Workers at the plant have already expressed relief that today's announcement secures their employment into the future.

The investment to ‘green’ the Geelong Casting Plant comes on top of the $230 million investment in sustainability initiatives for Falcon and Territory announced last year, part of Ford’s ten year, $1.8 billion investment in local operations and ongoing commitment to Australian manufacturing.

Mr Burela said the company was leading the industry in finding new, innovative ways to extend its business through collaboration with partners across the sector.

“Our $20 million investment is great news for local jobs, great news for the environment, great news for the automotive sector and great news for Ford Australia,” Mr Burela said in a press release.

“It keeps in Australia work that could otherwise have gone to Chinese manufacturers, which is a fantastic testament to the skills and productivity of our workforce.

“It is vital that automotive manufacturing skills remain in Australia for the viability and strength of the entire sector, and we’re very pleased the Australian and Victorian Governments have recognised this through their support.”

Under an agreement with global components supplier Bosch the upgraded plant will be a centre of excellence for brake rotor casting.

The plant will manufacture around 1 million brake components annually for Bosch Chassis Systems Australia.

The plant will also manufacture engine blocks for Ford’s new Euro IV compliant I6 petrol engine for FG Falcon and the new Territory diesel and petrol variants.

“Our I6 engine continues to be the cornerstone of our success in Australia and its evolution over the last 50 years is testament to the engineering ingenuity we have at Ford Australia,” Mr Burela said.

“Its upgrade to Euro IV emissions standards proves that it is possible to enjoy the benefits of a large car along with improved fuel economy and reduced emissions.”

The casting plant upgrade will benefit the environment through:

• An electricity efficiency gain of more than 5,100 kW hours a day, obtained by reducing furnace idle times;

• Increased use of recycled stormwater to 77,000 litres a week, or 3.7 million litres a year – around 20 per cent of all water used at the Plant will be from recycled stormwater, up from the current 5 per cent;

• Increased use of recycled shredded metal, increasing from 32 per cent to 70 per cent – 67 tonnes of metal a day will be recycled, or almost 15,000 tonnes a year; and

• Sand reclamation to increase to almost 100 per cent by selling around 138 tonnes of surplus sand each week for cement production, reducing sand landfill requirements to zero.

The Casting Plant upgrade will be undertaken continuously over the next 36 months.
Casting of the diesel engine blocks is a little left field - wasn't expecting that one. But was there ever a threat that the I6 would be cast offshore?? That's what I'm reading into it...

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 14-04-2010, 11:40 AM   #17
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO
According to the radio, it's a cash boost from the state and federal governments.

EDIT: seems to be mentioned in the article linked to above also. Hopefully it's all good news!
You right JMO, no cash input from Ford what so ever. And as the article said

The Casting Plant upgrade will be undertaken continuously over the next 36 months.

The Robert Bosch work will just be taken from one Foundry to another. No net gain in jobs, just a relocation.
Old 14-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #18
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lets not be too negative about this. I guess these jobs could have gone overseas, so at least they are staying here and hopefully create more in the future
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
Old 14-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #19
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda

The Robert Bosch work will just be taken from one Foundry to another. No net gain in jobs, just a relocation.
Why must you be so negaitve!!! This is good news, yet you still want to find bad points in it!!!

Fill that other half of the glass with some whiskey or something like that.. This way everything will be happy!!!
Old 14-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Why must you be so negaitve!!! This is good news, yet you still want to find bad points in it!!!

Fill that other half of the glass with some whiskey or something like that.. This way everything will be happy!!!
Too true. There is nothing but good news here :
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 14-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

The eagle has landed and the fat man walks alone...
Old 14-04-2010, 12:33 PM   #22
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda

Did you miss this???

Quote:
The investment to ‘green’ the Geelong Casting Plant comes on top of the $230 million investment in sustainability initiatives for Falcon and Territory announced last year, part of Ford’s ten year, $1.8 billion investment in local operations and ongoing commitment to Australian manufacturing.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
Old 14-04-2010, 02:41 PM   #23
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Damn, I thought the Fairlane was returning. :(

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 14-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #24
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's the cost to the tax payer to employ 50 new staff, and retain the existing 100 employees at the plant?
Old 14-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #25
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

$11.8 Million :-P

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 14-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #26
GTP-03

Its all good news considering this 14 months ago, we werent even sure there was going to be an engine plant at Broad meadows at all
Old 14-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #27
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Jeez bob, world came to an end for you when you read the news just then eh?

I for one see no problem at all in ford investing in JOBS and a FUTURE for the Australian market. Small cost to the taxpayer but you gotta spend money to make money, and 50 new jobs is a good boost for ford and the economy.

I can't believe anyone on this FORDFORUM(we all love fords or we wouldn't be on here) would be negative about this?? The media is bad enough why do we have to bring ford down as well?

My 2c on the matter.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 14-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #28
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-03
Its all good news considering this 14 months ago, we werent even sure there was going to be an engine plant at Broad meadows at all
There is no engine plant at Broadmeadows.

The engines are made in Geelong, where the panels are stamped, and many parts are cast.

Not to rain on the parade of great news. Ford have pulled a swift one here, especially when I was under the impression the Engine Plant and Casting plants were up for sale.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 14-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #29
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
I can't believe anyone on this FORDFORUM(we all love fords or we wouldn't be on here) would be negative about this??
I wouldn't expect anything less from ford fans. Seen how many threads there are on the support ford fans show models like the AU. So yes, ford fans are very supportive of their own brand.
Old 14-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #30
stang65
FPRJET

No offense Bob but I seem to recall your negative remarks in other threads, do you have blue blood or are we just misinterpreting your posts. Please don`t find this offensive but do you drive a ford?
Closed Thread