Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-07-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Consequences !

A friend a couple of weeks ago while driving down the freeway(on cruise control), happily in his near 15 year work in progress project car suddenly came to grips with his mortality for the second time in his life(the first time on a race track), after completing his car 1 week ago an IRS tie rod tube due to fatigue and probably a degree of copping way more stress than the factory donk could ever hope to inflict on it, over a period of time weakened and finally broke, causeing the car to spin like a top at 100 kph on the freeway crossing 3 lines of traffic and somehow missing them all then slamming into the armco.
The end result..........my friend escaped without a scratch, the car totaled probably 50K invested not counting time and labour, he`s suddenly lost all interest in cars and selling whats left of the car, it saddens me to see all the time and effort he put into his car which was an engineering work of art.
The failed part.............a 15 dollar piece of steel tube with a thread cut in either end, 3mm wall thickness, a part that 99.9 percent of us would never even consider changeing,..............i guess there`s no real reason for this post except to point out how the unexpected can happen, i don`t wanna mention details for obviouse reasons, any one else have any similar happenings?

mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

What sort of car was it?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Similar. Dads buddy who did my log book hours for driving test. He purchased a mustang, the year escapes me, 351 clevo, manual etc, needed full rebuild. Rebuilds it from the ground up through a workshop BUT when time came to either recon or replace the suspension on the front, he went with recon. Workshop that reconditioned it missed some major stress or split in a part of the metal that connects to the brakes, he was driving it and his son and missus along south road, after Pt road heading south, where the bridge is, the part failed and caused him to veer into the lane that turns into the brickworks. He was VERY LUCKY there was no traffic, as he was able to steer into that side road and into the curb, destroyed a rim and a panel and the other side of his suspension. Son and wife ok, lesson learned. He went with mcdonald bros new gear, never looked backed!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

any pictures
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
an engineering work of art.
Evidently not?
Old 15-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nah no pics, it was a twin turbo v8 powered ricer, i don`t really wana give more than that away at this stage in case of legal stuff.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post