Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

Default moving a packard

I have a question about bringing my latest project home, it is a 1949 packard (straight 8).
However, it is in East Gippsland, and I'm in southern Adelaide. The seller doesn't remember the last time it ran, so I can assume it wont!
It is over 5 m long and almost 2 m wide (1.96m) . The weight of it, is about 1850 kg.
Add a car trailer to that and the weight is getting up there.would it fit on a car trailer at 5m?
My problem is (obviously) how to get it home. Cheaply.
The cost of a car trailer (hire) and fuel there and back, plus the weight of it is daunting, although I would use a 80 series diesel landcruiser.
Or do I truck it, somehow?
I have a HR licence, so the possibility of a hire truck is there, but once again the cost/time is a consideration, plus the fuel. From here to there and back again is about 2100km.
What about a cheap flight to melb, hire a truck and get it to melb and then let a trucking company bring it, I fly back?

any suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to do it in about 2 weeks.
phil

thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i coud be wrong, but i`m thinking by the time you get a trailer and a vehicle big enough to drag it back pay for fuel,etc, it may be easier to just pay a bit extra and get someone to tilt tray it back for you.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

thanks mik, thats what I'm starting to think now. I was hoping some other members here may have had experiences to guide me.
Old 27-11-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You will be lucky to find a rental trailer than can carry 2t legally, most are around 1500kg at best. Overloading a trailer by 20% isnt probably the best idea, remember you void any insurances if you have an accident while over weight.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 02:49 AM   #5
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've towed my old Plymouth Fury / Dodge Phoenix with a rented car trailer using my AUII V8 1-tonne at a maximum distance of about 200km. It towed it OK, but I wouldn't try it for the distance of Gippsland to Adelaide. Personally I'd just get someone to ship it.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 03:03 AM   #6
fmc351
let it burn

Most car carriers wont touch a car that doesnt run, so youre going to need someone who will winch it on.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

You could hire a bigger trailer that carries tractors etc ??
BUT the time you put fuel in your vehicle, running expenses and trailer fittings including brakes.. You'd be far better off hiring a tilt tray or at least a flat bed truck...
If you don't push the speed they are reasonably fuel efficient for there weight...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

thanks for the advice. now I'm thinking a cheap (tiger) flight to melb and hire a tilt tray. my next question is can you hire them for one way. I'm thinking melb to east gippsland, to adelaide, but do I then need to return it to melb. Has anyone had experience with this sort of thing?
thanks phil
Old 28-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
fmc351
let it burn

Edit misread post
Old 28-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
fmc351
let it burn

Edit, misread post.
Old 28-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #11
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

A one way trip is often less than half the cost of a 2 way trip, if you are going a long distance with a rental vehicle. Some rental companies need to move vehicles from one place to another, so they will discount you to do it for them.

It's just a matter of finding a rental place that will loan you a cheap tilt tray, them fly up and tray it back.

I saw something else the other day that might help, it was in essence a car trailer, but was only a few feet long. The idea is that you strap the front wheels into the trailer, and drag the car using it's own rear wheels.

that way you are limited more by the weight of your car relative to the tow capacity of your tow vehicle, and not by a massive 750kg trailer. Not sure where you can get them, or how legal they are, but might be worth a look.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #12
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 388cube_edxr8

I saw something else the other day that might help, it was in essence a car trailer, but was only a few feet long. The idea is that you strap the front wheels into the trailer, and drag the car using it's own rear wheels.

that way you are limited more by the weight of your car relative to the tow capacity of your tow vehicle, and not by a massive 750kg trailer. Not sure where you can get them, or how legal they are, but might be worth a look.
i thought they were made illegal years ago?

plus using them you are relying on the towed vehicles wheels/tyres, and lighting?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 11:37 PM   #13
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

I think they come with a light bar that you attach to the back of the towed vehicle, via magnets or zip ties or a strap through the boot latch.

But yeah you need good wheels and tyres on the towed vehicle.

I assumed they would probably still be legal, as a lot of towies have them built onto the back of their tilt trays. I have ridden in a tilt tray and used one, I thought it was brilliant.

I see them all the time in Brisbane, towing smashed vehicles and all.

Also, the Heavy Haulers use a similar system for towing smashed/broken down trucks.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #14
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
i thought they were made illegal years ago?

plus using them you are relying on the towed vehicles wheels/tyres, and lighting?
If its what I think it is, basically two wheels and a frame for one end of the car and a draw-bar, they arent illegal in Qld anyway. Theres a couple of businesses using them up here, Mobitow and Mr Tow although I havent seen Mobitow for a while. I think they have a board similar to a boat trailer for lights. Only two of the towed cars wheels are on the ground, the ones on the short platform could be flat.

Edit: Shouldnt walk off and do other things before hitting submit. Or hit refresh first.
Old 30-11-2010, 03:35 AM   #15
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn’t be trailering it that far with a dodgy rental trailer.
There are bound to be plenty of transport companies that can do this for you.
Send a tilt tray to collect the vehicle and bring it to the nearest depot where they can load it with a Forklift on to the transporter.
Old 30-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #16
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

48 packard, nice!! is is a two door? convertable?
Old 30-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #17
BlackXR8

PM sent regarding car transport!
BlackXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 10:19 PM   #18
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

thanks for the advice. Crazy dazz, I would have thought so, until I tried to find one!
a lot of companies won't forklift onto transporter, issues with old cars like transmission through the floor, bent door frames etc. If It could be driven the issues would be less.
At the moment I'm waiting on a quote from a local tilt tray company to take it a few hundred k to a depot. I'm also waiting on a quote from a low loader to bring it from Vic to SA. It's looking like about $1500 - $2000 at the moment.

Aussie muscle it's a 49, 4 door. I'll try to post some pics as soon as I have some decent ones.

hopefully when it's home
Old 30-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #19
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Im not sure if these guys are still in business but years ago I used Campbelltown car carriers to bring a car from Bowral to east sydney other companies were around $1100 they charged $200 odd, im sure they went around oz might be worth a google search

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #20
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo
thanks for the advice. Crazy dazz, I would have thought so, until I tried to find one!
a lot of companies won't forklift onto transporter, issues with old cars like transmission through the floor, bent door frames etc. If It could be driven the issues would be less.
At the moment I'm waiting on a quote from a local tilt tray company to take it a few hundred k to a depot. I'm also waiting on a quote from a low loader to bring it from Vic to SA. It's looking like about $1500 - $2000 at the moment.

Aussie muscle it's a 49, 4 door. I'll try to post some pics as soon as I have some decent ones.

hopefully when it's home
Good luck with the car, some pix would be great. Might I add, you have excellent taste in cars.
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 12:58 AM   #21
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

bit small....sorry

Last edited by thefargo; 22-10-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:07 AM   #22
xw 427
BIG CUBES=POWER

which town in east gippsland? is it accessable with a tilt tray? we might have a truck going that way early next week,can get to melb,then onto a car carrier to adelaide for 300 dollars,give me a call on 0418324744.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #23
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

^^^ XW427 is your lifesaver

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 04:20 PM   #24
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

hopefully with XW427 saving the day I may be getting the Packard home as soon as next week, An early christmas present for me!
I wont count the chickens before they hatch, however I will say a big THANKS to all who have offered an opinion/suggestion. All were acted on, and I am extremely grateful.
without labouring the point I was utterly disillusioned with the internet search for tilt tray truck hire, particularly across states, and the concept of a car trailer, as many pointed out , bordered on insanity.
The positives came from this forum. Not just XW 427, but also those who offered many suggestions, either in public or privately.
I will ensure I take and post many photo's. Hopefully a video of the start up, apparently it was started 3 years ago, and it was driven 12 years ago.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #25
mrfordfairmont
351 clevo

i would not use one of these trailers and the vehicle being towed must be roadworthy and have legal tyres

the tow vehicle has to be heaver the the trailer and towed vehicle
ie trailer and vehicle= 3t then tow vehicle has to be 4t+ by law

2004 territory ghia
click here for pics
work daily ke laser ghia RIP
click here for pics
Daily EF II fairmont wagon RIP
click here for pics
XD 351 clevo lowered
click here for pics

thanks to
p.e.a.c.h performance at stafford
http://www.peachperformance.com
mrfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 PM   #26
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Only suggest you go there to make sure all the bits are with the car including tool kits any spares etc. I would. Tilt tray seems the only way to go IMO.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post