Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-12-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default $14000 to spend

Hi guys I appologise about making another thread but I have now secured $14000 to buy a new car. I was hoping people couuld help me find something, or give advice. I obviously want a falcon, kind of set on an XR6. Few conditions. As it is finance it can't be an AU, I would like 05 and above and it has to be in W.A. I am 400km from perth so it is not easy for me to search, but I am hoping you guys might be able to help me out in searching for something. If this is in the wrong section I appologise.

Cheers

Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

BA Ghia V8 - BA XR6T - BA XR8

all of these cars are in the price range
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

2005 BF xr6

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Go for a BF XR6.. less dramas, better brakes, try and get a six speed auto.

cheers!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Mulberry Laine

g220 on carsales
Mulberry Laine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

VY SS, 33 Skyline....

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
VY SS, 33 Skyline....

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
Hi guys I appologise about making another thread but I have now secured $14000 to buy a new car. I was hoping people couuld help me find something, or give advice. I obviously want a falcon, kind of set on an XR6. Few conditions. As it is finance it can't be an AU, I would like 05 and above and it has to be in W.A. I am 400km from perth so it is not easy for me to search, but I am hoping you guys might be able to help me out in searching for something. If this is in the wrong section I appologise.

Cheers
Old 13-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry Laine
g220 on carsales

Ooh that one!
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I have found a local 07 fairmont with 99k on it for $14990. Going to check it out. Guy says it is because they want to get it out. They are a dealer that only has around 12 cars in at a time as they have no yard. I have been there before.
Old 13-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth

Yeah Yeah so I didn't read the entire post.

My suggestions still stand.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
I have found a local 07 fairmont with 99k on it for $14990. Going to check it out. Guy says it is because they want to get it out. They are a dealer that only has around 12 cars in at a time as they have no yard. I have been there before.
it's also because it has higher than average km, depending on which part of 07 it was delivered of course.
Old 13-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
Spudz27
Call me Spud

True didn't cross my mind. But I will still check it out. That is a really good price. Also I am in a country town so they would be highway miles. The 2 XR's in town are both BA's and they want more. I must say if it has a service history, and it drives nice, no marks etc, I will really have to consider it.
Old 13-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #13
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Car yards will tell you anything to get a sale.

I would test drive this car first and then get an independent vehicle inspection done before considering any cash exchanges.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
Bevan Boy

99km's so does that mean it will be up for its 100kms timing belt change?
If so that could add quite a bit of cost to your $14k

1974 Ford XB Hardtop - Custom Purple
351 Cleveland - C4 auto with stage 2 shift kit
Bevan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 05:42 PM   #15
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Car yards will tell you anything to get a sale.

I would test drive this car first and then get an independent vehicle inspection done before considering any cash exchanges.
I will be driving it and asking for as much history etc. I will also be asking about things like belts etc. I am a salesman so I know they will do anything to get my money.
Old 13-12-2010, 05:44 PM   #16
sly_ba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan Boy
No timing belts on the ford I6.... chain mate. Also, no need to replace chain at 100K unless something is horribly wrong.
sly_ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan Boy
i've never heard of any issues with timing chains on B series I6's
Old 13-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #18
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Have you looked at Pickles and Manheim Fowles in Perth ?
Old 13-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #19
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I will also be asking for my mechanic to inspect it and obviously any resistance to that will be met with a goodbye. My mechanic already said there will be a punch up if I buy a car with no inspection lol.
Old 13-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #20
hamoudy10
Ford Nut

BF I Fairmont Ghia, nuff said. With the ZF and everything. Bit bias though. In your price range and MUCH more luxurious than an XR6.

Petroleum FG MKII XR6 Turbo - 350rwkw

Magnetic 2017 Mustang GT - 300rwkw
hamoudy10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 06:37 PM   #21
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Cool

Quote:
i've never heard of any issues with timing chains on B series I6's
Try revvin one to 7000rpm with 21 pound of "Boost"

Got Atomic gear in the F6 now hopefully this one lasts past 50000kms....
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #22
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Had a look at the fairmont. It has done 99k, but it still feels great to drive. Average Km/h was 71 and L/100k's was at 9. The previous owners are from a small country town and worked out of town. It has a reece hitch and I am convinced they used it to tow a van (as they owned one) I had a look for a trans cooler, but couldn't see one, I could see two metal pipes on the front of the radiator, not sure if this is those. As far as drive concerned. It seemed fine, gears changed smooth, it felt sluggish with my foot planted, but that could also have been the fact it is so quiet and hence gave me the sensation of a slow vehicle, although that will be fixed quickly , although I heard what I believe to be whining from the diff. Either way I have organised for it to be dropped at my mechanic and have advised him to look closely at the diff. Will know what he says on wednesday and if he says all is good, I will probably buy it as it is in my price range and unfortunitely I can't go to Perth to view cars, or test drive so I am kind of stuck.
Old 13-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #23
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Buy the Fairmont, you know you want too!

Infact, you sure this thread isnt just about sharing your elation at spending 14k...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 10:43 PM   #24
XRATE-UTERUS
Banned

whats the reason you cant have an AU?
XRATE-UTERUS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 11:09 PM   #25
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

i think you're rushing .. heaps of cars that you can haggle the price on..even out of state you can get cars sent to you too..
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 11:53 PM   #26
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Buy the Fairmont, you know you want too!

Infact, you sure this thread isnt just about sharing your elation at spending 14k...

I am not 100% set on it yet, my mechanic is the deciding factor here and as he does not want to fix it all the time he will make sure it is tip top lol. He and I have a great relationship but he said he is sick of seeing my dodgy fords all the time lol. I am buying the first car I saw due to circumstance and anyone who says I can get cheaper out of state etc, would you buy a vehicle sight unseen? At the end of the day I will be back in a ford (it has been too long) and a fairly nice one at that. I was going to go to Perth over Christmas and search, but my mrs is working and as we only have 1 car it won't work, the next time I am in Perth it is for heart surgery, so I am kind of stuck. They are happy to knock off $1k to meet my price (well not overly happy but I convinced them it would go towards convincing me to buy) they made the comment but, not a penny less lol. If my mechanic passes it I will probably buy it. The diff is my concern, but that might just be old oil, we will see. I had my heart set on Finding an XR6, but realised I wouldn't get one decent for my price without spending money traveling, taking time off work etc. I spent most of the weekend looking on websites, Ebay etc and came to the conclusion I did not have enough. My mum bought her old 97 EL in Jan 01, it had 156k on the clock all country miles. In the 9yrs she owned it the most she ever did was a trans swap, and when it finally cracked a cylinder head at 400k she got rid of it, so I have faith in cars that have done all highway km's. The car has also been serviced every 10-15,000km and it is all logged. Body, paint and interior immaculate, rims have such minor scratches you wouldn't notice. They looked after it well. Just so happened I was looking through the local paper and this stood out straight away. I will report back on Wednesday after my mechanic has had it.
Old 14-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #27
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

what colour is it? i like the BF2 in cashmere personally, or ego.

the whine may be a few things, but generally speaking it's a sign of wear/km. If it was used to tow a caravan i would drop it straight away. I've owned a fairmont that towed vans and it was cactus. Caravans and boats can be quite detrimental to the vehicle. As soon as i see that square hole in the back i look elsewhere. Having said that it may be a good one, but yes get the dif checked. I'd personally also check the transmission fluid for coolant contamination, if it existed even in the slightest, i'd look elsewhere again. The external transmission cooler (if fitted) will be quite obvious, it basically looks like a tiny radiator usually fitted somewhere in front of the main radiator. Anyway hope it works out for you, but i'd keep looking. I know it doesn't seem like as much money when it's coming from a loan, but trust me, it is, and it's something you'll be stuck with for some time.
Old 14-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #28
Pat Riley
U MAD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRATE-UTERUS
whats the reason you cant have an AU?
Likely because an AU XR6 for $14k would be a rip-off... but... he could always get an AU XR6 and save $7k or so on finance.

If it was me I would either get a BF Fairmont Ghia (best option) or otherwise a BF XR6 with 6 spd auto. $14k for a N/A I6 with 4sp auto of any spec is too much for a BA.

If I didn't have the money to get a car without finance, I would likely get something like a BA Futura for $6k on finance, then pay it off asap and start saving for an FG G6!

What % are you paying on finance? Is it more than 15% interest per year?
Pat Riley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2010, 12:21 AM   #29
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Falcon
Likely because an AU XR6 for $14k would be a rip-off... but... he could always get an AU XR6 and save $7k or so on finance.

If it was me I would either get a BF Fairmont Ghia (best option) or otherwise a BF XR6 with 6 spd auto. $14k for a N/A I6 with 4sp auto of any spec is too much for a BA.

If I didn't have the money to get a car without finance, I would likely get something like a BA Futura for $6k on finance, then pay it off asap and start saving for an FG G6!

What % are you paying on finance? Is it more than 15% interest per year?
the only time i ever had a car loan back in 2005 was at 7%, i can't believe the rates they're charging now.
Old 14-12-2010, 12:45 AM   #30
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
what colour is it? i like the BF2 in cashmere personally, or ego.

the whine may be a few things, but generally speaking it's a sign of wear/km. If it was used to tow a caravan i would drop it straight away. I've owned a fairmont that towed vans and it was cactus. Caravans and boats can be quite detrimental to the vehicle. As soon as i see that square hole in the back i look elsewhere. Having said that it may be a good one, but yes get the dif checked. I'd personally also check the transmission fluid for coolant contamination, if it existed even in the slightest, i'd look elsewhere again. The external transmission cooler (if fitted) will be quite obvious, it basically looks like a tiny radiator usually fitted somewhere in front of the main radiator. Anyway hope it works out for you, but i'd keep looking. I know it doesn't seem like as much money when it's coming from a loan, but trust me, it is, and it's something you'll be stuck with for some time.
The colour is a goldy type, not sure on the name. As far as trans and diff are concerned, they are both high on my priority list when getting it checked. The last thing I want is a rooted diff or trans. As I said in a previous post, I am not sure about the trans cooler, but there was 2 metal pipes in front of the radiator. Again I will ask my mechanic, if it does not have one, then I won't be buying, due to not trusting the trans is stuffed, although it changed extremely smooth when driving.