Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
Scott

Default Driver charged over passengers death in QLD floods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by news.com.au
A TEENAGE boy who's car was swept off a flooded road in central Queensland has been charged over the death of one of his passengers.

The 19-year-old boy from Townsville allegedly drove the car over a flooded causeway on Aramac Torrens Creek Rd, about 67km north of Aramac, on January 2.

The force of waters swept the vehicle, the boy and his 40- and 62-year-old passengers off the road and into Cornish Creek.

The body of the 62-year-old man, believed to be from Ballarat in Victoria, was recovered on Wednesday in Cornish Creek.

The other two survived the ordeal and were treated for shock in hospital.

The 19-year-old driver of the car has been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and is due to appear in the Longreach Magistrates Court on February 8.

Ten people so far have died in Queensland's floods.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...#ixzz1AJAfbIUt
I can only assume there is a pretty damning case against this guy but I would have thought they would go for manslaughter too. On another note, since when is 19yo a "boy"??

Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
I can only assume there is a pretty damning case against this guy.
sounds like he broke a law, went around signs or something

Quote:
On another note, since when is 19yo a "boy"??
when the aricle was written by a person older
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
On another note, since when is 19yo a "boy"??
How old is 19, really?

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 40 year old and (RIP) 60yr old in the car should take some of the blame also. Too many people needlessly die these days in floods because they think their car is a boat.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

They have to start enforcing the law, because to many people are driving past road closed signs. Thinking they can drive through flooded roads and the police and SES workers are flat out enough now, without rescuing these idiots.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
sounds like he broke a law, went around signs or something
Its called driving without undue care causing death i believe.... you dont have to drive around road blocks to be charged.

He drove into a flooded causeway.... his stupidity caused the death of someone... and yes no doubt his passengers would also be partly to blame as well as they should know better.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
...and yes no doubt his passengers would also be partly to blame as well as they should know better.
Yes, they are to blame too. Can anyone honestly imagine a 19yo forcefully taking 40 & 62yo men over a flooded road against their will?

Without generalising too much - they would have said "she'll be right mate, just do it". Ultimately he was driving and gets the final say, but there is no way in hell he would have done it against their wishes.... they would have got out if they weren't confident.... imagine the peer-pressure a 19yo could put on two old blokes! Not...
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
sleek7

Dont know the full story, for all we know at this stage is the older ones may have encouraged him to try to get throughl.
To me, any teenager I still consider a boy/girl, regardless of being 18 or 19.
Edit: Scott beat me to it.
sleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 02:56 PM   #9
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In a similier case several years ago a 17yr old female P plater was driving home her drunk mother (here in Townsville) and drove around road closed signs right into a flooded causeway.
The car was swept away several hundred meters downstream, the daughter managed to swim to safety but mum was so drunk she was still in the car.
A dangerous night rescue had to be performed..

Its quite possible that the passengers were a little under the weather in this case, as to why would a 19yr old be driving with two older guys in the car?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
zdcol71
zdcol71

He's a boy at 19, and given that he is facing charges, I would imagine that he is feeling every bit that little boy.
By the ages given it's possible that it is 3 generations of the 1 family.If it is, I guess no sentence the courts impose will come anywhere near the grief he will endure. What a tragedy
Old 07-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not going to make assumptions as to what happend, its a tragedy

but this is the type of thing I was talking about in another thread before xmas when a forum member was bosting abotu driving over a flooded road.

People the roads flooded, find another way or wait nothings THAT important

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 04:54 PM   #12
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, they are to blame too. Can anyone honestly imagine a 19yo forcefully taking 40 & 62yo men over a flooded road against their will?

Without generalising too much - they would have said "she'll be right mate, just do it". Ultimately he was driving and gets the final say, but there is no way in hell he would have done it against their wishes.... they would have got out if they weren't confident.... imagine the peer-pressure a 19yo could put on two old blokes! Not...

This exactly.

I reckon if a 40 year old was driving the attitude would of been "Oh that's terrible, sorry for your loss, bet you wont do it again"

But since it's a young guy, probably a P plater, they must be taken down to the full extent of the law.

SO who is getting in trouble for killing the other 9 people who died during the floods???
Surely some of them died due to someone else making a bad decision for them!
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sadly often people die from being ignorant and cause others to die too, a good percentage of us have to learn the hard way( i`m speaking from experience here).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
This exactly.

I reckon if a 40 year old was driving the attitude would of been "Oh that's terrible, sorry for your loss, bet you wont do it again"

But since it's a young guy, probably a P plater, they must be taken down to the full extent of the law.
Actions causing the loss of life is serious no matter the age of the person. This is not a case of P Plater prejudice. 19 or 40, P-Plate or not is not the point.

Story makes no reference to him being a P Plater, but one would assume considering his age that yes he is a P Plate driver.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
I'm not going to make assumptions as to what happend, its a tragedy

but this is the type of thing I was talking about in another thread before xmas when a forum member was bosting abotu driving over a flooded road.

People the roads flooded, find another way or wait nothings THAT important
Agreed
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post