Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Default Astrology

Apparently I'm no longer an Aries, Instead I'm now a Pisces

Quote:
IF you're a regular follower of astrology you should know that your horoscope could well be 2000 years out of date.
The star signs we are used to are based on constellations observed by the ancient Babylonians two millennia ago.

And according to some astronomers the astrological calendar has moved on – potentially by as much as a whole month.

The debate has created a storm on the internet after Minnesota Planetarium Society board member Professor Parke Kunkle pointed out the potential problem.

"When [astrologers] say that the sun is in Pisces, it's really not in Pisces," he said.

Professor Kunkle says the phenomenon is the result of something called “precession” caused by the wobble of the Earth affecting how we see the distinctive patterns in the night sky.

Sydney University’s Professor Tim Bedding said the Earth rotates on its axis but the axis does not point in the same direction all the time.

“What that means is that the time of year in which a sun passes through a constellation changes,” Professor Bedding said.

This action causes a change of one degree every 70 years in our viewpoint and while this is so small it is hardly noticeable after 2000 years it all starts to add up, he said.

We now see the star signs in different positions to when they were first observed.

Astrologers have hit back saying the debate is revived every few years to discredit their practice.

Ed Tamplin says the problem is one that actually confuses Babylonian “sun signs” with modern “star signs”.

“Sun signs do not correspond to constellations in the sky,” Mr Tamplin said.

“[They] share the same name as constellations only because the Sun, Moon and planets travel through a similar area of the sky.

“They actually define the equinoxes and the solstices.”

Mr Tamplin said while the constellations have moved from their original positions the pieces of sky (the signs) are still on the equinox and solstice positions.

“Ancient monuments like Newgrange, or Chichen Itza built by the astronomer priests still accurately measure the equinoxes and solstices to this very day,” he said.

What’s your sign? Check out the revised list when the Sun is actually within the astronomical constellations of the Zodiac below.

Capricorn - Jan 20 to Feb 16
Aquarius - Feb 16 to Mar 11
Pisces - Mar 11 to Apr 18
Aries - Apr 18 to May 13
Taurus - May 13 to Jun 21
Gemini - Jun 21 to Jul 20
Cancer - Jul 20 to Aug 10
Leo - Aug 10 to Sep 16
Virgo - Sep 16 to Oct 30
Libra - Oct 30 to Nov 23
Scorpius - Nov 23 to Nov 29
Ophiuchus - Nov 29 to Dec 17
Sagittarius - Dec 17 to Jan 20

You might have noticed the list above also includes the new sign for people born between November 29 and December 17, Ophiuchus, the snake holder, which was removed from charts by the Babylonians so it would align more accurately with the calendar.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/lifestyl...-1225989224836

Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Sorry, double thread??? mods please close.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post