Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-02-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default premium brakes

Can someone please confirm for me if the premium brakes of t1 ts50 will bolt straight up to a series 1 or do you need to change the uprights.

Also I was straing at my brakes/ suspension today in the shed and thought to myself why do you have to change the lower control arms to put in series 2 brakes why can't you just change the uprights i mean the sway bar already sits at the back on my car so i can't see it fouling on the calipers.

Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

First answer, I had the premium setup on my series 1 Fairmont Ghia (the brakes with the ticjkford wings on them). Not sure what uprights it was running, but it definitely had series 1 swaybar.

As for the second lot of questions - it has nothing to do with where the swaybar sits, and everything to do with how it mounts to the lower control arm (LCA). Fit series 2 brakes, you need series 2 upright and series 2 LCA, or the series 1 LCA with a new hole drilled to fit the series 2 swaybar.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #3
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Series 1 use a different upright for premium brakes as the standard brakes have a ridge on the uprights to support the brake pads and this is not required for premium brakes as the pads are held in position by the calipers.
I have a set of uprights that have had the ridge removed to fit 330mm front brakes for my AU1,but these uprights do not support ABS unless I get the holes and retaining bolt drilled.
I have since picked up a genuine set of uprights for Premium Brakes that support ABS.
You could get the support ridge removed from your uprights and as long as you have the bracket to bolt the calipers on to for the larger rotors,I don't think there would be a problem.
If you want I could put up a photo of both uprights I have to show you the difference to the one's on your car, I can't show you the standard upright as they are still on my car while I get the other brakes ready to fit.
Old 21-02-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The reason I asked is cause theres a set of premium brakes for sale but he's not selling the uprights he reckons that the premium brakes bolt straight on but thats not the case i'd buy them but can't be stuffed chasing the uprights.
Old 21-02-2011, 05:45 PM   #5
321Go

Confirm AUI and early AUII (with the caliper on left side of disc when looking at the drivers side front) uprights are unique only to AUI / some early AUII. You CANNOT fit Premium Brakes to standard AUI/AUII uprights.
321Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balboa
The reason I asked is cause theres a set of premium brakes for sale but he's not selling the uprights he reckons that the premium brakes bolt straight on but thats not the case i'd buy them but can't be stuffed chasing the uprights.
IMO, having had both the Tickford Premiums and the BA brakes, the upgrade to BA brakes is just as good anyway, and the brakes don't rattle like the Tickford ones do! But that does mean change of upright, Lower Control Arm and swaybar for an AU1. Not that hard to do - just time.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 23-02-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still don't get why I can't just change the uprights. The more I look at the suspension the more I'm tempted to just try and change the uprights withount the rest I just don't see the point of changing the control arms.
Old 23-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #8
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

I have AU1 premium brakes on my S3..........Got the kit from the wreckers a few years back which consisted of uprights, calipers, disc's and braided brake lines.......all bolted straight on.
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
I still don't get why I can't just change the uprights. The more I look at the suspension the more I'm tempted to just try and change the uprights withount the rest I just don't see the point of changing the control arms.
The series one sway bar will foul on the upright/brake calliper with the series 2 brakes on. But go ahead and try....we'll just expect a post saying it didn't work.

Old 23-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #10
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The uprights are different. So long as you use appropriate uprights the Premium Calipers will fit.

There are different situations for AU1, AU1 /w Premium Brakes, AU2 and AU3 as well as AU3 w/ Premium Brakes.

Some AU's (later production) with Premium Brakes have standard uprights but use small adaptor mounts to step the caliper out to suit the larger discs. You will either need replacement uprights or the adapter mounts (both are difficult to source). The spacing between and size of the caliper mounting holes are the same between standard and Premium calipers (on AU2 anyway).

Premium Brakes on the AU1 and AU2's are mounted on the back edge of the disc. Premium Brakes on the AU3 (when using the adaptor mounts) are mounted on the leading edge of the disc. Not sure if this change was done by Ford to deal with clearance issues you're worried about between other suspension parts.

None of that directly answers your questions but hopefully will help you decide one way or the other?
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #11
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I have an AU XR6 series I and have recently added BA front Calipers and discs. You WILL need to change the Sway bar and also the lower control arms and Stub Axles.
The AU I doesn't have the piece that the AUII onwards sway connector requires.
AU I brakes are at the rear of the wheel and the AUII/III BA are at the front so a standard AU I sway bar would interfere with the calipers.

I would be looking for the BA Calipers and discs, here in Sydney I can buy BA front Calipers for $50.00 a pair second hand and working from a wrecker.

Last edited by Papa Smurf; 23-02-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 07:55 PM   #12
macman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless you already have the Premium Calipers, BA brake upgrade would be my recommendation too (as per post # 11).

Papa Smurf, your AU looks great and those breaks are impressive for an AU1.
macman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

guys what i'm saying is on my ute its a series 1 and the swaybar is at thw back or is it the links that foul the calipers
Old 25-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
guys what i'm saying is on my ute its a series 1 and the swaybar is at thw back or is it the links that foul the calipers
My initial though is that the premium brakes would foul on the links, BUT I've been thinking about this a bit.

I had premium brakes on the AU1 Fairmont, and the callipers sat facing the back of the car. On the series 2 XR8, the same premium brakes face the front of the car. On the AU2 I have a (approx) 10 or 15mm thick bracket that the calliper mounts to, which is also bolted to the upright. Can't remember how it was on the AU1 (sorry).

So, you may just get away with it - one other point, the LHS calliper on the AU2 is actually on the drivers of the car and vice versa - I think because of the mounting location. On the AU1, the LHS calliper was mounted on the passenger side, and the RHS on the drivers (ie as they should be).