Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-03-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
sly6pk

Default Ford Falcon VS Ford Tuarus

I was just wondering whether or not there is much support out there for the what could be the last of the Ford Falcons.

Ford plans to kill the falcon off and replace it with the taurus seem rather rushed and not a very well educated decision if thats the way it goes.
For instance the taurus is 5.3 meters long and 2.3 meters wide compared to the falcon at 4.9m long and 1.8m wide. Just curious, would there be very many car parks in aus that would fit a sedan that size. One thing that caught my eye though was the weight of the taurus, the base model with no extras weighs a hefty two tonnes campared to the falcon xt at 1700kg.

The only thing the tuarus has going for it in any sense is technology and the lame SHO performance model which is awd (which looses the awd drive advantage due to weight) has 272kw at 5500rpm and 475nm of torque from 1500-5000rpm coming out of a 3.5 twin turbo V6. But it still wouldnt out muscle our own performance falcon xr6 turbo weighing much less with 270kw at 5000rpm and 550nm of torque from 2000-4000rpm. The funny thing is it hasnt even been compared to our fpv range YET.

There has also just recently been a journalist from Australia test drive the SHO and compared it to our own breed and says besides the tech factor the xr6 turbo out muscles the SHO in every performance catagory. Now with ford aus releasing the new ecoboost 4 soon, people looking for economy wont be hard to come by. But for us enthusiasts who enjoy our rwd cars are going to loose out with an overweight oversized and underpowered sedan from the states.

My point in all this is we should build support for the dying breed and challange the yanks to drive our cars and NOT to like them. Lets challenge ford america to a duel or anything to prove that our car is far superior to theirs for once instead of lying down and letting them walk all over us. It would almost be guaranteed that if they did this the tuarus would be getting the chop and not our history rich beloved ford falcon. If they dont want to spend the cash them im sure there are more then enough falcon and even holden fans out there who would donate to get the ball rolling. Christ knows what will happen to the Ford VS Holden rivalry if the tuarus makes it to our shores.

sly6pk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
stang65
FPRJET

Default Re: Ford Falcon VS Ford Tuarus

I`ll wait for the others to educate you with 36 post`s i suggest you read a few more threads. Fact is we don`t know whats happening with the Falcon still they tell us.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #3
sly6pk

all im trying to do is get support before a final decision is made. you never know with enough people backing up the falcon it could sway them into keeping the falcon. its more a preventative opinion on a final decision that could be made.
Old 22-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Width is 1953mm. Not sure where you are getting 2.3m from
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 06:14 PM   #5
sly6pk

sorry i wrote it down incorrect. on the ford america website it says its 85.7 inches wide which converted is 2.17 meters. lol
Old 22-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly6pk
all im trying to do is get support before a final decision is made. you never know with enough people backing up the falcon it could sway them into keeping the falcon. its more a preventative opinion on a final decision that could be made.
You want to show support for the Falcon. Go and purchase new one. Then tell 100 of your mates to do the same. Starting a thread, isn't a " preventative opinion " a significant growth in sales will be the only thing that might indicate to the top dogs from Ford Oz that the Falcon is worth saving.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I recon the Aussie public has now quit on Falcon and Ford are in a flat spin,
the feeling is that people wanting a large sedan will go buy a Commodore.

The only way back for Ford is a completely new car and image,
it's will take a long time for people to build up trust in a new car....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

sly6pk, if Ford Oz imports the 2015/16 Taurus, or if the next Falcon is based off the platform that underpins it, you have to keep in mind that it will be an all new platform (most probably with a fair amount of input from Ford Oz).

There's no point comparing the current Taurus and Falcon and freaking out (except for the fact that Taurus has many goodies that the Falcon misses out on)
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Parking spaces? I've suspected they're getting smaller for years...but then again, when you park, say, a new Falcon or Commodore beside one from 25 years ago, it's a huge car compared to the old one, so maybe it's cars that have grown...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
MexicanBatman
Banned

Keep in mind your measurements are probably mirror tip to mirror tip, and the FG measurements quoted are body, the FG is over 2m wide probably wider than the Taurus when you include mirrors

Basic difference, the USA thing is a FWD forget that you can have awd, it's a fwd car, has an east west fwd layout and that's it, if it were to have a north south engine and be available in rwd for the 2wd model it might not be so bad

Edit** just measured and my FG is approx 217cm measured from side mirrors edge to edge
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
sly6pk

maybe its not so much the sales that should be looked at for the falcon. how about exporting it overseas to build a reputation, maybe a joint venture between ford aus and ford usa would produce something far better then either these cars. its good to see the different views and opinions here. one issue that presses on me is that the australian team seem to be getting left out of it. we have great engineers here. look at the camaro. im just saying us aussies should be given a fair go thats all. wat about all the pending job losses that could occur. sales would help i agree but maybe we need to look overseas for its survival.
Old 22-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #12
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

I'd like to see a back to back comparison between a couple of different Taurus/Mustang models versus a couple of Falcons. I'd find that interesting.

Taurus SHO vs XR6T/F6/F6E
Taurus Limited vs G6E/G6ET
Taurus SEL vs G6
Taurus SE vs XT

Mustangs vs FPV GS/GT
Mustang Premiums vs GTP/GTE

If an FPV 351 ever eventuates, this would be suitable to pitch against a GT500. Although the FPV might still want a few more neddies to keep up....

Lukeyson
Old 22-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #13
sly6pk

Thats what im hoping for. id like to see the real life comparisons on the same day, same place, with a bunch of different drivers to get a whole picture thing going on.
who wouldnt want to see ford aus go up against ford usa. i think we would put a good fight up considering the size of aus to the U.S.
Old 22-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
You want to show support for the Falcon. Go and purchase new one. Then tell 100 of your mates to do the same. Starting a thread, isn't a " preventative opinion " a significant growth in sales will be the only thing that might indicate to the top dogs from Ford Oz that the Falcon is worth saving.
It worked for SAAB, do you remember the SAAB's United campaign. Was started by a Tasmanian who has just been hired by the new owners as an IT guru.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257856001FC824

But why do we need another new Falcon Vs Taurus thread everyday, the way its going the public will soon believe its fact and not buy any Falcons at all.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
It worked for SAAB, do you remember the SAAB's United campaign. Was started by a Tasmanian who has just been hired by the new owners as an IT guru.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...257856001FC824

But why do we need another new Falcon Vs Taurus thread everyday, the way its going the public will soon believe its fact and not buy any Falcons at all.
Soon believe?
The way Drive and Go Auto are pushing out the negative stories on Falcon,
it's a wonder they think Ford even builds the Falcon anymore...

Or does the public even care any more....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #16
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seems when "sales are sinking" The media love a bad news story and this compunds with Many "end of production/end of the world" stories..

Im so sick of negative ford press... but ford havent done themselves any favours lately either...

LTD gone..
OLD wagon BA BF WITH AU REAR?? common ford?!!! GONE
LPG Gone temporarily..
Ancient ESCAPE...
LAck of holden style adverising....

Oh and as for above I think Falcon would come out on top in all cattegory's excluding interior tech...
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #17
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FPV should at least sell their wares in the states. it would come across as a "four door mustang". i'm sure they'd do well in the UK too.

I reckon putting the falcon and taurus side by side in the showroom would be the best way to settle which is best argument.

As for ford, i can't imagine them letting them sell falcon anywhere, even if the $$ work out. The american 'big three' are still under the belief that americans will only buy cars built in the USA. (i believe Hyundai are making a killing there too).
Old 23-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #18
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

The current Falcon is pretty awful, that is why sales are no good... Hopefully the new tech coming will help, but build quality and poor customer service will probably make sure it doesn't...

Taurus build quality is from a different world compared to Falcon. Hopefully they get there act together soon and come up with a viable plan that will allow them to make good quality Falcons again...
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #19
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_br_johnstone
The current Falcon is pretty awful, that is why sales are no good... Hopefully the new tech coming will help, but build quality and poor customer service will probably make sure it doesn't...

Taurus build quality is from a different world compared to Falcon. Hopefully they get there act together soon and come up with a viable plan that will allow them to make good quality Falcons again...
wow ur enlightened well arent you. The falcon aweful hey. Does that mean class leading wins in nearly every test the falcon has done in comparoes since the ba are wrong then. just because its built to a price doesnt mean people get to nit pick and expect mercedes quality from tther 35k car...pah he service guys arent good tho tjats for sure but if you do your homework they arent that crash hot anywhere at holden aswell....lots of stories around for most carmakers.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 06:07 PM   #20
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_br_johnstone

Most would agree that FG is best quality Falcon to date . I do agree that US Ford lifted their quality and is bettering Toyotas and Hondas in some instances (cars).
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 10:53 PM   #21
sly6pk

I do believe there is a tuarus in Melbourne at the moment. Itd be great to see a full comparo. I do agree with the interior and tech the tuarus has. Its beyond wat the falcon has here but that could change in an instant if ford aus adopted ideas from the states.
Old 23-03-2011, 10:56 PM   #22
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire

Can't fault that statement at all. it's dead on the money
basically don't just talk about it, do it. When the misses wants a new car don't spend 30 grand on an imported car buy a locally made falcon for the same or less.Or if you need a work ute don't go and buy a hilux, with extra clearance that you probably will never need buy a falcon ute
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2011, 11:15 PM   #23
Rico 110s
Falcon follower

I think if Mulaly brings on the Taurus to replace the Falcon, within 2 years it can consider itself a fulfledged importer only in Aust.

Ford Aust should go back to what it did many many years ago and look at what Australians need and it is still a basic cheap reliable car without the trims, with a cheaper price, this is why people are leaving to imports, Aussies just want a good cheap car. No special tech, no electric everything in basic style models, just build a car that gets from A to B.
Sorry about the rant and a bit off topic

Last edited by Rico 110s; 23-03-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Rico 110s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #24
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico 110s
I think if Mulaly brings on the Taurus to replace the Falcon, within 2 years it can consider itself a fulfledged importer only in Aust.

Ford Aust should go back to what it did many many years ago and look at what Australians need and it is still a basic cheap reliable car without the trims, with a cheaper price, this is why people are leaving to imports, Aussies just want a good cheap car. No special tech, no electric everything in basic style models, just build a car that gets from A to B.

You are joking :-) if Ford Oz was to go that way it might as well shut the shop.
Which import cars are without electrics and basic. Cars these days sell more on eqipment then anything else.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2011, 08:17 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico 110s

No, thats why the interior in the Falcon sucks, no nice stereo, the premium sound option is horrible, acres of hard plastic, etc.

My $18,000 WS CL Fiesta has a much better stereo then the Falcon ute, even my Focus (but thats still better than the Falcon).
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2011, 08:39 PM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Id buy an SHO Taurus over an XR6T/G6ET :
Old 24-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #27
MexicanBatman
Banned

Never!
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2011, 09:18 PM   #28
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tonight's news was tipping petrol to go as high as $1.80 a Litre in the next couple of months .. how long can people keep running big 6 and 8 cylinder cars the way things are going?

I'm peeved off enough just keeping my 2 Litre 4 cylinder topped up! ..
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #29
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Soon believe?
The way Drive and Go Auto are pushing out the negative stories on Falcon,
it's a wonder they think Ford even builds the Falcon anymore...

Or does the public even care any more....
You need to start reading the comments of those articles. People are in uproar.

And you go on being quite negative yourself jp.

The Chief editor and star of the TopGear Australia Ewen Page, and editor of TopGear Australia regularly respond to comments on the sites blogs. And I put it to Ewen to do a back to back test in the magazine and/or show. I even told him where he could find a Taurus. (FoA HQ)

Hopefully something comes of this. In fact in the latest article... they sent a journo to states to try the different models... and he didn't like any of them. And basically said it's not up to par with Falcon.

This is why we need to export Falcon out of Australia, and away from ill educated Australian oafs. As much as it pains me to say. Australia has as high an idiot to regular joe ratio as any country. Maybe even higher.
Old 24-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #30
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Tonight's news was tipping petrol to go as high as $1.80 a Litre in the next couple of months .. how long can people keep running big 6 and 8 cylinder cars the way things are going?

I'm peeved off enough just keeping my 2 Litre 4 cylinder topped up! ..
My brother was cruising on the hwy the other day. Trip computer was telling him 7.3L/100km's. Not bad. It's not what you drive, but how, and where you drive it.