Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-03-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Recommendations for what Satnav/GPS/Navman to get.

My young bloke only has 3 points left to last him 2 years (good luck with that son).

Anyway, wondering if people can recommend a GPS or similar that beeps like a speed alert to tell him when he's speeding.

My daughters Navman beeps to let you know when theres been a change in the speed limit, but as said I would like to know if theres a model that tells you when you're speeding.

Yes I know, if you look at your speedo you will know, or just dont speed, but I just want to try and alter his driving habits.

Thanks all.

Old 24-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Default Re: Recommendations for what Satnav/GPS/Navman to get.

If he listens to the radio/cd/ipod... and knows where he is going a GPS won't help I'm afraid

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

GPS aint gonna help, its simple to obey the road rules, let him learn a lesson.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 01:26 AM   #4
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
GPS aint gonna help, its simple to obey the road rules, let him learn a lesson.
Yeah thanks mate. Its a pretty harsh lesson that would affect him getting to his part time job, getting to uni and kill him with insurance. So I'm trying to take some preventitive measures.
He's only a kid like we all were and needs abit of help which I as a responsible parent am trying to do.
So if anyone has some constructive responses I would appreciate it.
Old 25-03-2011, 01:30 AM   #5
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

My nokia N8 will actually tell you your speeding. But you need to have the thing on.

I assume your sons car doesn't have Cruise?
Old 25-03-2011, 01:41 AM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
My nokia N8 will actually tell you your speeding. But you need to have the thing on.

I assume your sons car doesn't have Cruise?
Cheers vztrt, he has cruise but our roads here change speed limits every 500 metres practically. I'll check out the Nokia.
Old 25-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Navman has the speed alert when the limit is exceeded by 5kph. Pretty accurate around major cities.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
rst2000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842
My Navman has the speed alert when the limit is exceeded by 5kph. Pretty accurate around major cities.
my gps has speed alert and it is adjustable. you can set it +5%,10% etc..
rst2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you tell me what models they are so I can check them out on the net?
Cheers.
Old 25-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
dave289
Banned

Take his keys of him for a week or 2 and let him see what it will be like if(when) he looses his licence,might sound harsh but the way he's going his chance of keeping his licence sound slim so he'll probably be doing it eventually anyway.. A couple of weeks on the bus getting up an hour earlier in the cold might make him realize how important his licence is. You sound like a good father trying to do the best by your kids and for that I commend you. My son is still on his L's and I would not like to see him lose his licence when the time comes . Maybe just show him this thread and he may appreciate his licence and his old man a bit more. Good luck jaydee, you could resin in some of the floor under the accelerator pedal
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #11
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Navman MY 55 T, it comes with speed alerts, however I wouddnt say its 100% accurate (the speed it states I am doing is, but for example if I drive on Eastlink 100k limit) and I cross another road or I am in the vicinity of a 40k zone it states that the limit is 40. Plus some roads is states the limit as 80 but in actual fact its 100

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
My young bloke only has 3 points left to last him 2 years (good luck with that son).

Anyway, wondering if people can recommend a GPS or similar that beeps like a speed alert to tell him when he's speeding.

My daughters Navman beeps to let you know when theres been a change in the speed limit, but as said I would like to know if theres a model that tells you when you're speeding.

Yes I know, if you look at your speedo you will know, or just dont speed, but I just want to try and alter his driving habits.

Thanks all.
Navig8r I50
nag nag nag nag assuming it's on
No replacement for the hard leasson but it helps
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #13
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Geesh.. give the guy a break?...
He asked about Navmans with speed alerts, not to be bloody lectured by would be Harold Scrubby evangelists!
I have a Navman MY 60T (http://www.navman.com.au/car-GPS-dev...Y60T/Features/) which has speed alert feature.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #14
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

My (old) Navman has speed alert too, but it doesn't take a genius to turn it off.
Honestly, I don't think it will be of much help in this situation.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My old Tom Tom has speed alert, but the problem is , even with paid map updates, it doesn't know the correct speed limits some of the time, even on major hwys.
My new Garmin 1390T has speed alert also but I haven't had it long enough to test for reliability and accuracy
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #16
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

navman 65t adjusts to the speed zone your in and then gives you a speed warning if your 5k's over. the current speed zone is always displayed on the screen so you know if you miss the speed change. very accurate.

1993 EB2 Gli---->Build Thread
2008 FG XR8 SEDAN 300RWKW N/A

2008 FG XR6 TURBO-UTE>>> SOLD
2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #17
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
Take his keys of him for a week or 2 and let him see what it will be like if(when) he looses his licence,might sound harsh but the way he's going his chance of keeping his licence sound slim so he'll probably be doing it eventually anyway.. A couple of weeks on the bus getting up an hour earlier in the cold might make him realize how important his licence is. You sound like a good father trying to do the best by your kids and for that I commend you. My son is still on his L's and I would not like to see him lose his licence when the time comes . Maybe just show him this thread and he may appreciate his licence and his old man a bit more. Good luck jaydee, you could resin in some of the floor under the accelerator pedal
Thanks mate, yes it's hard work being a parent and now I know what my folks went through and I was a bit of a problem child when it came to cars, thankfully we didn't have hoon laws then.
To everyone else with suggestions on different models, thanks too.
I will get down to some serious research, at least I have an idea where to start looking.
Old 30-03-2011, 02:50 PM   #18
BlueBear
Shockwave

I can only tell you the the Garmin Nuvi's don't have this feature. (though they are my preferred choice for GPS).
Most of the ones that do have an over speed alert have been mentioned.
As for accuracy, you have to keep them updated, most have at least 4 updates per year, the older your maps are the less accurate they are - as you would expect really.
So if your buying new, make sure your get access to the updates for free, 3 years seems to be the most common.
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post