Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
brendan88

Default XR6 or XR5T

Leasing a car just wondering what everyone thinks would be the best option? No kids or towing or anything like that.

Im 22 so insurance works out to be about 850/yr.

brendan88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: XR6 or XR5T

If you dont car about insurance then id go the XR5.

If your into hanging the tail out on private property then id go the XR6...in manual form.

We talking about FG XR6? Why dont you look at a BF2 XR6T?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

double check with the XR5T that insurers will have you... a lot will have no under 25's on turbos
Old 01-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Ill be honest, i looked at a manual FG XR6T ute i was dead set keen on one. But i was turned away from it because of the running costs ie I had a V8 before and wanted something a little cheaper (XR5T is 6cyl rego in QLD though).
XR6 is a good car in its own right, but i have heard (And seen) many a horror stories with new falcons, whereas with the Focus its not quite so bad. Also IMO the Focus has a lot better build quality.

The XR5 is a bundle of fun to drive in some twisties, and if you go down the modification route (Lease car so maybe no) they get even better.
850/yr at 22? Sure thats right, im paying more and im 27

Last edited by DJM83; 01-05-2011 at 09:51 PM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #5
stang65
FPRJET

Could be due to his location.
stang65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang65
Could be due to his location.
Could be to, im not doubting him at all.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Depends what you want to do with it.

If you do alot of driving (highway) id probably say go the XR6 as it has cruise control and comfier seats for long distance (depending on how wide you are).

The XR5 is a great car but its a little bit cramped at times.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #8
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was paying 1k for insurance for my XR5 when I was 20, so it's possible...

Down to location...

If you were looking at FG XR6 n/a VS XR5T I'd go XR5, if it was an XR6T it'd be a more difficult decision.

Test drive both and see which makes you feel good.

I owned an LV 5T, now have an FG XR6T, both great cars.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 PM   #9
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

XR5T would be my pick, they are a neat little unit.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 10:35 PM   #10
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR5T hands down. Go to your ford dealer and drive them both back to back and you'll see what I mean.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2011, 11:43 PM   #11
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Thats a very hard decision bud.... I guess the 5T is an interesting car and looks awesome aswel.. But I cant let go of a rear wheel drive!!!
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 01:17 AM   #12
93EB_SXR6
I totalled my XR6

Insurance for me on my EBII *a car from 1993 ffs* XR6 was something like $2500 with "Just Car" for comprehensive. (I was only getting a quote, I never get comprehensive).
I didn't even pay that much for the damn car.
In the end I got Third party fire and theft with *the name escapes me* for somewhere around $700 a year.

I hate ticking all the boxes:
18 years old
Male.
P2s.
"Modified performance vehicle"

**Must murder old women and babies/kick animals**

Anyway, the XR6 will use more fuel whereas the XR5 will cost more on insurance.
I'd say it works out about the same in the end, I know I'd have the XR6 in manual... but thats cos I'm sick of small cars.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:24 AM   #13
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would go the small car if you have the luxury of not needing to tow or cater for kids, prams, 10kgs of nappies and associated crap that goes with kids.

But I would probably pick one of these instead: http://www.caradvice.com.au/89788/re...rt-250-review/
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Drive them both and then you'll know. Everyone has different tastes. Just make sure you get a proper test drive and not like one dealer that took me into traffic....great move to put me off buying that car.
Old 02-05-2011, 01:53 AM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Drive them both and then you'll know. Everyone has different tastes. Just make sure you get a proper test drive and not like one dealer that took me into traffic....great move to put me off buying that car.
the best advice on this thread.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 01:54 AM   #16
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

If you are looking at a new XR5T you may want to get in quick as well, since I beleive they've stopped making them. Not sure when the replacement will be arriving (which will have a 4 cyl eco boost engine).
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #17
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Depends on your requirements.
I have a XR5T and it is the best car I have owned bar none.
Handling is sublime and would easily out handle the XR6T.
The sound of the 5 cylinder turbo engine is fantastic.
Seats are a far more accommodating than those in the Falcon.
I have the leather and they're fantastic, added seat warmers and it is great in winter. Small additions such as auto windows up on all windows and heated mirrors are small bonuses but unfortunately there is no cruise control and at least for the LT XR5 there was no bluetooth (thank you Ford AU for penny pinching).

It is FWD but unless you have a specific requirement for a RWD the Focus is good enough. As I said the handling of it is great.
Boot space is smaller than a standard focus due to the floor being raised to accommodate the exhaust but i can still fit everything I need in there.
Insurance for me was good, about 100 more than the XR8 I had (I think I am paying around 850 for the XR5T).
Fuel wise the FOcus is pretty good, with my heavy foot I am averaging 10.2l/100km and that is 50/50 freeway and stop start driving.

I would suggest test driving each one and see what you think. Not sure how many more XR5Ts there are new as they stopped making them a couple months back.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
I have the leather and they're fantastic, added seat warmers and it is great in winter. Small additions such as auto windows up on all windows and heated mirrors are small bonuses but unfortunately there is no cruise control and at least for the LT XR5 there was no bluetooth (thank you Ford AU for penny pinching).

It is FWD but unless you have a specific requirement for a RWD the Focus is good enough. As I said the handling of it is great.
Boot space is smaller than a standard focus due to the floor being raised to accommodate the exhaust but i can still fit everything I need in there.
Insurance for me was good, about 100 more than the XR8 I had (I think I am paying around 850 for the XR5T).
Fuel wise the FOcus is pretty good, with my heavy foot I am averaging 10.2l/100km and that is 50/50 freeway and stop start driving.

I would suggest test driving each one and see what you think. Not sure how many more XR5Ts there are new as they stopped making them a couple months back.
Last build was Oct 2010.
Im averaging 10.3 and mine is tuned
But i agree with your post though
Old 02-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #19
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched

I'd agree with this. Was looking at buying an XR5T Focus a month ago. Test drove one and it is a very comfortable and capable car. I'm a big bloke and the seats are far better than the Falcon, well my BA anyway. Not sure how they compare to the FG which I assume is the model XR6 you are considering.

The suspension soaks up bumps nicely yet the car handles exceptionally. I would have bought one if I could afford it. Bought an old EB Ghia as a project instead and will persevere with my BA as my daily for a few more years.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

XR5T vs XR6 = XR5T

XR5T vs XR6T = XR6T

Yes some of the tactile quality is better in the focus, but honestly, you will have more fun in the XR6T. Also dont let focus owners lead you to believe that they are fault free.

In saying that, if you ever want to do any type of motoring events (drags, circuit, motorkana etc) then id be getting a XR6T

And before the foci people jump up and down id happily own a RS (or a Pug 205 Gti, DC2 Tye R)..im not anti FWD.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 02-05-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:35 PM   #21
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Either way your on a winner!

The XR5T is German built and I would love to have a drive of one. Although not the absolute best car for track days (I5T puts alot of weight up front), they are a very useable everyday car with excellent handling. The exhaust note sounds the business too. No factory Cruise control available. Aftermarket there are options.

The FG ZFspd XR6. We get terrific consumption (low 9s for the 1700km or so we've owned ours for) and there is heaps of space. They handle very well for their size too. You can tell they are made for Australian conditions too. Terrific cruise control. Eats up the kays and is very refined.

Good luck with the choice. Let us know how you go.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #22
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Last build was Oct 2010.
Im averaging 10.3 and mine is tuned
But i agree with your post though
Better get mine tuned then
Old 02-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #23
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
XR5T vs XR6 = XR5T

XR5T vs XR6T = XR6T

Yes some of the tactile quality is better in the focus, but honestly, you will have more fun in the XR6T. Also dont let focus owners lead you to believe that they are fault free.

In saying that, if you ever want to do any type of motoring events (drags, circuit, motorkana etc) then id be getting a XR6T

And before the foci people jump up and down id happily own a RS (or a Pug 205 Gti, DC2 Tye R)..im not anti FWD.
More fun?
Have you owned an XR5T? Or even driven one?
Maybe i should show you the vids from our track day last year and the questions from falcon owners asking why the focus is quicker around the track.
Seriously they have much less faults then a falcon i can tell you that. Im not taking anything away from the XR6.. Yeah the focus has some faults but not the 'within spec' ones like the falcon.
Take your rose coloured falcon glasses off. (Yes i have owned my fair share of falcons, 5 in total and was anti anything FWD).

Last edited by DJM83; 02-05-2011 at 08:14 PM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #24
XHfalcon
Starter Motor

had a strap in my parents xr5 turbo gotta say pretty dam punchy couldnt fault it. I still found they are quite roomy for a little car too
XHfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #25
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both cars are great in their own right. But given the XR5 is no longer made, get one this time around because there will always be a Falcon XR6 new to buy in years to come for your next lease.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #26
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
get one this time around because there will always be a Falcon XR6 new to buy in years to come for your next lease.
Sure about that?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #27
doktoravalanche

XR5T is more fun! plenty of time for a six in the future, manual XR5T is the go at your age! imo........
doktoravalanche is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #28
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
More fun?
Have you owned an XR5T? Or even driven one?
Maybe i should show you the vids from our track day last year and the questions from falcon owners asking why the focus is quicker around the track.
Seriously they have much less faults then a falcon i can tell you that. Im not taking anything away from the XR6.. Yeah the focus has some faults but not the 'within spec' ones like the falcon.
Take your rose coloured falcon glasses off. (Yes i have owned my fair share of falcons, 5 in total and was anti anything FWD).
Lots of questions..excellent. Before I start I must say its alarming at the rate you seem to bag the Falcon now since offloading your T.

Now "fun" I guess is subjective and dependent on what you like. Lets leave that definition alone for now.

Have I driven one? Yes briefly but not at 9/10ths, although I have with a Zetec and a Mondeo XR5T so putting two together is not difficult. Bear in mind I never said the XR5T was a bad car. Both those cars suffer from normal FWD push, yes you can evoke lift off if your getting serious but id rather be sliding using the accelerator than backing off then on.

Track days, well thats all dependent on weather and the drivers, I reckon I could punt a XR5T faster around a circuit than some Lygon St owning Ferrari mug..doesnt prove a point though does it.

Stock for stock a XR6T is a quicker car, and even then once you mod its not clear who is going to be quicker. You might say its quicker through twisties, and it might be but should you be pushing that hard on public roads anyway?

Let me ask the Foci people this, if the XR5T replacement that is to come is suddenly went RWD (let omit the reality of it, just a hypothetical) would you be happy or not?

Because I think its a rather established fact that for pushing hard (on a track, as thats what we were contending) that RWD is a better setup. If not then I guess BMW has made a massive mistake, along with every major racing category out there.

Yes we are getting to the fine detail, but you did ask.

For normal driving both cars will offer a rewarding drive, both offer potential to have issues and the "tolerance" situation you talk about is real but is magnified on this forum.

Then you get to the quandary about buying locally aswell, sure you shouldnt lower your standards but buying a new XR6T is hardly a painful experience and is MASSIVELY dealer dependent, and the same can be said for any issues involving imported Fords. That new diesel mondeo stalling thread is a pretty good example if we want to get picky.

Certainly no rose glasses here, I am just as quick as anyone else here to have a go at Ford if they deserve it.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 02-05-2011, 10:12 PM   #29
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Lots of questions..excellent. Before I start I must say its alarming at the rate you seem to bag the Falcon now since offloading your T.

Now "fun" I guess is subjective and dependent on what you like. Lets leave that definition alone for now.

Have I driven one? Yes briefly but not at 9/10ths, although I have with a Zetec and a Mondeo XR5T so putting two together is not difficult. Bear in mind I never said the XR5T was a bad car. Both those cars suffer from normal FWD push, yes you can evoke lift off if your getting serious but id rather be sliding using the accelerator than backing off then on.

Track days, well thats all dependent on weather and the drivers, I reckon I could punt a XR5T faster around a circuit than some Lygon St owning Ferrari mug..doesnt prove a point though does it.

Stock for stock a XR6T is a quicker car, and even then once you mod its not clear who is going to be quicker. You might say its quicker through twisties, and it might be but should you be pushing that hard on public roads anyway?

Let me ask the Foci people this, if the XR5T replacement that is to come is suddenly went RWD (let omit the reality of it, just a hypothetical) would you be happy or not?

Because I think its a rather established fact that for pushing hard (on a track, as thats what we were contending) that RWD is a better setup. If not then I guess BMW has made a massive mistake, along with every major racing category out there.

Yes we are getting to the fine detail, but you did ask.

For normal driving both cars will offer a rewarding drive, both offer potential to have issues and the "tolerance" situation you talk about is real but is magnified on this forum.

Then you get to the quandary about buying locally aswell, sure you shouldnt lower your standards but buying a new XR6T is hardly a painful experience and is MASSIVELY dealer dependent, and the same can be said for any issues involving imported Fords. That new diesel mondeo stalling thread is a pretty good example if we want to get picky.

Certainly no rose glasses here, I am just as quick as anyone else here to have a go at Ford if they deserve it.
Nope i have nothing against the falcon, ive just found there is other cars out there besides the falcon, if i hadnt of driven the Focus id be driving a manual FG Turbo ute and i can tell you i wouldnt be complaining but i was just curious about them (XR5T) and the shape has always done it for me.
Yep the definition of fun is dependant on the person aswell ill admit that and its something that in most cases wont change, it did with me i was like you prefered the RWD set up, not so much anymore.
I wasnt having a dig at you per say, but it annoys me when people want to have an opinion on a car that in most instances they have never even sat in one.
But putting a Zetec and a mondeo XR5T together to get an idea of the Focus XR5 doesnt work though the XR5 Mondeo is Very different.
Pushing hard in the twisties, yeah ive done it ill admit it.
RWD I5T XR5 yeah id buy one. I really do like the 5 cylinder Turbo donk.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #30
Fireblade
Wizard Member

XR5T for sure, better build quality IMO.

Even the Mondeo XR5T are a nice car, I love my falcons but if it wasn't for the wifey and her rose coloured glasses I'd have her in one of these in a heartbeat.