Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Moments that make you take a step back

This may sound strange, but I like the cemetery.

Wide open spaces, green grass and complete peace and quiet from the otherwise hectic outside would, a place to contemplate life.

Yesterday afternoon I was at the cemetery with the other half visiting some of the now departed family, and while there we decided to pay our respects to someone else we knew of who recently passed away.

While walking amongst the plots, with all the little memorial bits and pieces placed around them, I was stopped in my tracks by a fresh burial plot, not because of who it was, but what was on it.

Among the flowers was a single red P-Plate, broken at the top with a zippy tie through the hole, for some reason this left me standing there like a stunned mullet.

As I've only been off my P-Plates for 6 months, I began to think about how many times I'd done something stupid and nearly lost it, past and present bad driving habits, what I've seen mates do and how indestructible we all think we are... something about that single red P on a grave hit me harder than any road safety campaign I've seen, or talking to from Mr Plod I've had.

Now it's over to you all, what moments have made you take a step back?

GSAU

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: Moments that make you take a step back

When the dude that worked in your office died about 18months before retirement, earlier this year.
Old 16-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like any father, the moment my first child was born....
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR David
Like any father, the moment my first child was born....
Yeah, or even finding out your going to be.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #5
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

For me it was visiting Anzac cove last year and reading through all the head stones. Seeing ages younger than I am (23) from places around my area and how things have changed. How they went half way around the world to a war to fight for what we have now, when people my age now are getting drunk and breaking glasses on peoples heads.
Old 16-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #6
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

9/11 and the first Tsunami did that for me
gcg2503 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi-Pop
<snip>......when people my age now are getting drunk and breaking glasses on peoples heads.
Hear Hear
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 16-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #8
84xespac
Wearing an armadillo hat

I have to agree that the birth of your a child changes everything.
The following is very sad and I don't want to bring anyone down with what I am about to write so if you are easly upset please don't read further, however this was the real moment in my life that made me step back and realise how precious life really is.....

When I was in my early 20's like most I was 15ft tall and bullet proof, nothing could faise me. My 1st son was born and this did settle me down a little but I still believed I was bullet proof and to be honest maybe even some what immortal. Any way 3 months after my son was born we lost him to sids and all of a sudden I realised then and there that I'm not immortal and if death could happen to someone so young and my son to boot that it could happen to me as well. That day changed my life for ever. I am not saying I don't take risks because I do but it certainly made me take a step back and think about things and there conciquences before I do.
84xespac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

I haven't had kids yet however I've been told that nothing can prepare you for it.

Thank you for sharing 84xespac, can't imagine how tough that would have been.
Old 16-05-2011, 02:39 PM   #10
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84xespac
The following is very sad and I don't want to bring anyone down with what I am about to write so if you are easly upset please don't read further, however this was the real moment in my life that made me step back and realise how precious life really is.....

When I was in my early 20's like most I was 15ft tall and bullet proof, nothing could faise me. My 1st son was born and this did settle me down a little but I still believed I was bullet proof and to be honest maybe even some what immortal. Any way 3 months after my son was born we lost him to sids and all of a sudden I realised then and there that I'm not immortal and if death could happen to someone so young and my son to boot that it could happen to me as well. That day changed my life for ever. I am not saying I don't take risks because I do but it certainly made me take a step back and think about things and there conciquences before I do.

Thanks for posting, I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #11
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

When a bloke that I worked with dropped stone dead from a coronary, in the Factory 2 mins after I had been talking to him about his weekend.
Here one minute gone the next.
Made me ease up on the career push a bit. Work to live, not live to work.(have to remind myself occasionally)
Sorry to hear 84xespac.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #12
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84xespac

Quoted for truth.
Old 16-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #13
69XWGT

Birth of my boy.

Watching a guy on a motorbike doing something stupid (130 plus in an 80 zone)and paying the ultimate price. Breathing one minute , broken the next
69XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

partying hard at a younger buddies 21st.... then being all ****** up at their funeral very soon afterwards when they've topped themselves.. wtf.......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I am who I am because of those moments that have made me step back. Those moments that you wish you could change, even years on. I don't regret the path my life has followed, but I sure as hell don't want to go through the last fifteen years of my life again. It's hard to pick which one has shaped me more.

For me, it's the realisation that despite what's happened throughout my life, that I'm not alone in what I've been through. Some days it's a chore to get up in the morning and paint on that cheerful face so the world doesn't know how much it hurts, but for others it's the waking up that never happens. I lost many friends to suicide and road deaths, and I've had my own personal trauma's that girls don't really like to talk about, with anyone, letalone share with strangers, but that 'big click' moment was nearly losing my brother.

He has Alports syndrome (a genetic kidney disease) and to counteract his high blood pressure from the dialysis, he was given medication to lower it. They worked in reverse, and he ended up in the ICU in Melbourne on the verge of a stroke. They induced a coma to stop his seizures, and when we first arrived in Melbourne, they told us we should say goodbye. He's my only sibling, and to have to sit back and watch, but be able to do nothing, just about killed me. I'm not religious, but those are the days that you pray, regardless of your beliefs.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #16
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Big man hugs to you all.
My story is posted somewhere here on the forum but long story short I've got the Big C long term survivor so far.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #17
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have had a few of those moments... the last one was when the old man passed away.

But when I was in my mid 20s a work mate (who was 35 at the time) died within weeks of being told he had bowl cancer.

Also a while later watching a patient die in the back of the plane as we sat at Bowen airstrip at 10pm. We were a medivac flight. The doctor and nurse tried for 30mins. He was an Ag pilot who crashed his crop duster that day.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #18
sirlc6

The moment for me is when the police knock on the door to tell me my younger brother passed away in a car accident. And had to get my parents details to go tell them. All this happen 5 days before Christmas. Then 6 months later my grandfather passed away from cancer. I never really got to know him very well. These and birth of my daughter have made me take steps back and think twice about things I do.
Cheers Paul.
sirlc6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #19
craigxr8

Lost my Dad 2 years ago (i was 18, 21 in a couple months now) to a unfortunate motorbike accident (was doing nothing wrong just had to correct his placement because of a car going wide in the opposite direction around a corner in the hills and he went off the road).

That made me step back and realize even people that never do any harm or drive/ride safe 100% of the time can still be involved in an accident and be taken away.

It made me realize to cherish every moment with loved ones cause you never know when they might be taken away from you. To this day i have never been able to say goodbye to him
craigxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #20
familybus

wow!

my hat goes off to you guys

my situation not as bad as most of you but how weird that i just came across this thread after what happind early this morning to me!

ive got a 10 year old son turning 11 this thursday and yes as most hes a handfull!

i try to make time for him but theres alot to do in the day and not enough hours.........UNTILL

without going into detail, my old mans not well and i love him like no other and for certain reasons it is impossible to go visit him even though hes not more than 20mins away!

this morning around 4am i was wide awake and freezing because i remember pulling my leg back into bed cause it was frozin and next thing i know...........

im standing in the backyard in the warm sunlight and see my dad walking off the backsteps towards me dressed formally with a dressy shirt, dressy pants, a tie and looking very healthy and a couple of years younger.
hes not smilling and has a serious yet care free look!

i woke up in hysterics yelling out for my dad and crying

today i made damn sure i spent time with my boy before school, after school kicking the ball, booked him a flight to his godfather for his birthday this week and made sure i told him i love him hundreds of times!

i rang my brother so he could contact my dad and make sure hes ok and i got a message back sayin hes not well but hes ok!

damn rough way to snap out of a too busy to take a step back lifestyle but glad in a way i did!
familybus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 10:45 PM   #21
b2tf
not here much anymore

Im currently experiencing one of these 'moments' and have been doing so for the past week.

My fiancee left me a week ago today, its a bloody ordinary thing to deal with and it very much took me by surprise. I wont go into specifics but what I will say is that there are so many things I would do differently or not do altogether if I could take it all back. Easy to say now.

I am now in the middle of a huge dilemma as I have just been offered a dream job that will also mean I have to leave town - and leave her behind. I can't bring myself to do that just yet but there is a long way to go and I don't feel like I have any idea of what to do.

If you're in a relationship take a step back and look at things - take your partner out for a fantastic evening this Friday night like I wish I could with mine.
Old 16-05-2011, 11:15 PM   #22
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Im currently experiencing one of these 'moments' and have been doing so for the past week.

My fiancee left me a week ago today, its a bloody ordinary thing to deal with and it very much took me by surprise. I wont go into specifics but what I will say is that there are so many things I would do differently or not do altogether if I could take it all back. Easy to say now.

I am now in the middle of a huge dilemma as I have just been offered a dream job that will also mean I have to leave town - and leave her behind. I can't bring myself to do that just yet but there is a long way to go and I don't feel like I have any idea of what to do.

If you're in a relationship take a step back and look at things - take your partner out for a fantastic evening this Friday night like I wish I could with mine.
Wow, mate, I am trully sorry for you.
Old 16-05-2011, 11:17 PM   #23
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
Wow, mate, I am trully sorry for you.
It happens. I love her to bits and we will see if we can work it out but either way right now it is not a fun place to be.
Old 16-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #24
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Brain tumor in 2003...

It's all good now though...

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #25
THE CADBURY KID

******* cancer and death are enough to open your eyes and step right back,sometimes for a while too long.
I lost faith in the world 16 years ago.
THE CADBURY KID is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 12:07 AM   #26
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

On a more lighter note, another moment that made me take a step back was being about a half hour outside of Warwick at a rest stop.

The difference between the bustling city and the calm of a rural area took me very much by surprise, and got me thinking about the life I was leading.

As FTE72 said, you really do need to work to live, not live to work.
Old 17-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #27
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen some messy stuff, and no big deal and like the other dads I was truly in awww at the birth of my kids.

but the most recent thing that made my jaw drop was on the weekend when my daughters friend cut her self (they were doing somthing stupid down the padock) I walked inside to see my 8yo daughter with the first aid kit on the floor and dressing the wound perfectly.

I've always been a supported of every one being first aid qualified and I've been the family go to guy for this stuff so when my daughter steps up I got a tear in my eye at that.

My son has done a thousand things as well but this is the most recent

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #28
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Last year, my youngest daughter (born with Down Syndrome) underwent open heart surgery at 3 months of age. While the surgery went perfectly, an unforeseen complication almost claimed her life. Another emergency surgery took care of the complication and she came home a week later.
Our little trouper is one year old now and flourishing. My wife, my older daughter and I are just amazed at her strength.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #29
bingoTE50
Steve

Well some sad stories here. I have had some myself , and some good ones as well with two teenagers who are good kids and I feel will make a difference in years to come whatever they choose to do.

But , 1980 when Artie Beetson belted Mick Cronin in the first State of Origin , that WAS a wow moment ....Come on you Blues ....help me here in QLD ...been here seven years and we have been hammered for most of them ....
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 08:53 PM   #30
GULL
TuRbO

Take the job mate,regret is a waste of time,life goes on ! Move on !

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Im currently experiencing one of these 'moments' and have

been doing so for the past week.

GULL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post