Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up FORD To Introduce Capped Price Servicing from July 1st..

In my paper today..Ford has an advert for Capped price servicing from July 1.
"Conditions : My Ford Capped Price Servicing available from participating dealers for vehicles built from July 2007, up to and including 6 years of age or 105,000kms, whichever comes first." " Contact your dealer for pricing."
'Value added-offers Free Roadside assist, My Ford Extended Warranty. Privilege Card Membership. Mechanical Protection Plans."
My comment..this is good news, I hope they match Toyota's plans and its good that Ford are finally recognising customers."

Old 15-06-2011, 02:02 PM   #2
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FORD To Introduce Capped Price Servicing from July 1st..

Sounds great, my car is September 2007

I shouldn't get too excited yet though....
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #3
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

If it's anything like Nissan's 'MyNissan' Capped Servicing it will be a load of crap.

Sure, Nissan's services are capped. At the normal price of the service that it always was, just no more than that.
Old 15-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Will Ford cap the price of an oil change at $300 ? ............
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

When I bought my Focus a few months ago the salesperson promised me $199 fixed price servicing....

Come delivery... the paperwork promised to me regarding it was nowhere to be found. The salesperson was on an overseas holiday (what luck)... and the manager had no idea about any fixed price servicing offered by Ford, nor did he want to entertain the thought of giving it to me....

After several phone calls, getting Ford CRC involved and a lot of huffing and puffing on my behalf I eventually got my letter stating the fixed price servicing as promised to me at negotiation time.... (as well as other things)...

Anyway... looking fwd to using it for the first time soonish. Ford have dropped the ball in so many ways and they wonder why their sales are on the decline. Fixed / capped price servicing has been offered by other brands for a few years now at least.

Anyway.... seems it was in the pipeline after all... so why did they put me through hell??
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
prydey
Rob

people hear 'fixed price' and think they are being looked after, whether it be building a house or getting the car serviced.

my brothers in laws recently bought a corolla and toyota have fixed price servicing @ $199. my last service on my fg (60k) was $180. if you build up a good relationship with your dealer, you will get looked after.

its a marketing catchphrase that works though so i guess you can't argue with it.

the 'fixed price' will also be a 'fixed' list of items. anything extra will incur a charge. make no mistake.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #7
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
people hear 'fixed price' and think they are being looked after, whether it be building a house or getting the car serviced.

my brothers in laws recently bought a corolla and toyota have fixed price servicing @ $199. my last service on my fg (60k) was $180. if you build up a good relationship with your dealer, you will get looked after.

its a marketing catchphrase that works though so i guess you can't argue with it.

the 'fixed price' will also be a 'fixed' list of items. anything extra will incur a charge. make no mistake.

Your brother in law got jammed then.

When it was introduced, Toyota's service advantage price for the Corolla was $120. It's now currently $130.
Old 15-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
Your brother in law got jammed then.

When it was introduced, Toyota's service advantage price for the Corolla was $120. It's now currently $130.
sorry, don't know the exact details. its a 09 model, so not new, and could possibly be a deal done by that particular dealer. my point still remains. that fixed price, whatever it may be, will only cover a fixed list of things done. anything extra to that, you will be required to pay.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
BlueOvalPrint

Knowing my dealer for 99% of customers it will be the Ford fixed price service,
plus power steering flush
plus a/c deodorising
plus fuel system cleaner
plus dodgy wheel alignment
plus hand relief for the counter staff...
BlueOvalPrint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #10
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalPrint
Knowing my dealer for 99% of customers it will be the Ford fixed price service,
plus power steering flush
plus a/c deodorising
plus fuel system cleaner
plus dodgy wheel alignment
plus hand relief for the counter staff...
Don't forget the obligatory $2.50 for workshop consumables.

My wife rang Thomson Fraud for some reason when my last service was due to get a price. They wanted $300 for the 15000k service and I was supplying the oil.

I wouldn't have taken it to them anyway, even if it was free.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
Don't forget the obligatory $2.50 for workshop consumables.

My wife rang Thomson Fraud for some reason when my last service was due to get a price. They wanted $300 for the 15000k service and I was supplying the oil.

I wouldn't have taken it to them anyway, even if it was free.
Funny that... seems the people there are all confused about what a car costs to service.... For me it went from $199 'fixed' to "around $220-240" to $289... depending on who you spoke to of course, and the mood they were in. (and at what stage of the car buying negotiation process you were at)....

Your play on words is very valid........
This user likes this post:
Old 15-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The 2009 CL Fiesta is going in for a service on Friday.

At an independant mechanic

I provide the oil and genuine filters.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #13
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
In my paper today..Ford has an advert for Capped price servicing from July 1.
"Conditions : My Ford Capped Price Servicing available from participating dealers for vehicles built from July 2007, up to and including 6 years of age or 105,000kms, whichever comes first." " Contact your dealer for pricing."
'Value added-offers Free Roadside assist, My Ford Extended Warranty. Privilege Card Membership. Mechanical Protection Plans."
My comment..this is good news, I hope they match Toyota's plans and its good that Ford are finally recognising customers."
Well. MAYBE we should all wait for details before we jump the gun and bag Ford?!

I think that providing things line up well, this can be a great news story. For many people, trying to budget and knowing how much things will cost for the next 1-6 years is a comforting idea and potential sales gainer. Not to mention keeping the workshops (which may have previously been servicing a larger amount of vehicles) with valuable steady income.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #14
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Mitsubishi Triton diesel, fixed price servicing! Its not great, $590 per 15000km service! I have taken it to independent places for handbook servicing for half that.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #15
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
if you build up a good relationship with your dealer, you will get looked after.
This
I knew this was coming about 4 mths ago, there is a couple of changes going on also the service books in new cars changes and has an item only ford can stamp as completed (cant remember what it was though)
Old 15-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #16
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got to be better than the servicing for our last car, an '04 Landcruiser 4.2TD.

$400 for a "normal service" every 10,000km, then every 20,000km came the biggy, $1000, which included, amazingly, adjusting the valve clearances and changing ALL the oils and disassembling and repacking the wheel bearings.

We started taking it to Ultratune and they said that you only had to do that sort of thing every 20,000km under extreme driving conditions, and as for the valve clearances, they were puzzled. They said they never touched them unless something was apprently wrong.

Still waiting to see what Ford is like with our first paid 15,000km service...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah. VALVE CLEARANCES, thats what they do with the diesel triton every 30,000.

Wouldnt you just do that if its getting a bit noisy? Sounds like a rort to me.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 10:46 PM   #18
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Saw an ad for fixed priced servicing for an Aurion and it was $120.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Got to be better than the servicing for our last car, an '04 Landcruiser 4.2TD.

$400 for a "normal service" every 10,000km, then every 20,000km came the biggy, $1000, which included, amazingly, adjusting the valve clearances and changing ALL the oils and disassembling and repacking the wheel bearings.

We started taking it to Ultratune and they said that you only had to do that sort of thing every 20,000km under extreme driving conditions, and as for the valve clearances, they were puzzled. They said they never touched them unless something was apprently wrong.

Still waiting to see what Ford is like with our first paid 15,000km service...
Owch... $400 every 10,000km. What did Ultratune charge you??

I have stumbled across this site and it looks very well set out. I have found that the local mechanics in my area will do the minor service on your 'Cruiser for between $280 and $315. Not a bad saving.

http://www.fixedpricecarservice.com.au/
Old 16-06-2011, 12:27 AM   #20
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

capped price service has been introduced by manufacturers to stem the flow of new cars going to indepedent repairers ,.....first they tried to tell you that servicing elsewhere will void your warranty ,..now that the ACCC has ruled they cant pull that card any longer ,..they have come up with this nonsense ,

its designed purely to keep you going back to the dealer ,.....in an attempt to try and squeeze the independent out of business ,...no more independents means they can charge what they like again.

problem with this type of pricing structure is they do the bare minimum and get it out the door pronto ,.......if you didnt have to worry about validating the warranty you are better off dumping the oil & changing the filter yourself .

i guess it can be perceived as good value if are only keeping the car for a couple of years then offloading it ,.....if long term ownership is your go you are potentially setting yourself up for disapointment participating in a capped service plan.

if i have my car serviced i like to know that my families safety is taken very seriously and that my car gets checked from front to rear.

simple economics tell you that the labour allowance in a capped price service simply doesnt allow for a thourough service to be carried out.
nt0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #21
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Owch... $400 every 10,000km. What did Ultratune charge you??

I have stumbled across this site and it looks very well set out. I have found that the local mechanics in my area will do the minor service on your 'Cruiser for between $280 and $315. Not a bad saving.

http://www.fixedpricecarservice.com.au/
Yeah, that's about what we paid at Ultra-tune, around the $300 mark at absolute most, but usually down around the $270 which was oil and filter change (12 liters of oil and a $35 RYCO filter ), and fuel filter change as well, which is just good insurance for a diesel given the sometimes-questionable fuel you get at little outback servos. They also greased everything up and checked it all over.

I'm really considering taking the G6E to Ultratune after the first paid service we get at Ford (when 15,000km comes up).
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #22
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't trust Ultra Tune with a dead cat..They caused $5000 worth of damage to my brothers Jackaroo. They eventually paid up, when independent mechanical advice, proved it was their fault....Ford servicing might be a bit iffy, but I trust them over Ultra Tune..
Old 16-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #23
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nt0351
capped price service has been introduced by manufacturers to stem the flow of new cars going to indepedent repairers ,.....first they tried to tell you that servicing elsewhere will void your warranty ,..now that the ACCC has ruled they cant pull that card any longer ,..they have come up with this nonsense ,

its designed purely to keep you going back to the dealer ,.....in an attempt to try and squeeze the independent out of business ,...no more independents means they can charge what they like again.

problem with this type of pricing structure is they do the bare minimum and get it out the door pronto ,.......if you didnt have to worry about validating the warranty you are better off dumping the oil & changing the filter yourself .

i guess it can be perceived as good value if are only keeping the car for a couple of years then offloading it ,.....if long term ownership is your go you are potentially setting yourself up for disapointment participating in a capped service plan.

if i have my car serviced i like to know that my families safety is taken very seriously and that my car gets checked from front to rear.

simple economics tell you that the labour allowance in a capped price service simply doesnt allow for a thourough service to be carried out.
Of course, now that Ford wants to do fixed price servicing it (fps) is put under the microscope and scrutinised like never before. You must be one of those independent repairers? The truth is how much a client can trust his repairer, independent or not, is what's important. And seeing as all repairers and service managers, independent or not, are human, then it means jack all if they're an independent or not.
By the way, some independent repairers also have fixed price servicing so they must be playing with our families' safety too.

Quote:
Pretty much. Let's see how they go.
Old 16-06-2011, 02:00 AM   #24
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Falc'man]Of course, now that Ford wants to do fixed price servicing it (fps) is put under the microscope and scrutinised like never before. You must be one of those independent repairers? The truth is how much a client can trust his repairer, independent or not, is what's important. And seeing as all repairers and service managers, independent or not, are human, then it means jack all if they're an independent or not.
By the way, some independent repairers also have fixed price servicing so they must be playing with our families' safety too.

i was ,..and we worked to a standard not a fixed price ,.....the only fixed price we had was rego inspections ,.....every thing else was charged by time taken to do the job properly & the parts consumed ,..nothing more and nothing less ,...I agree with you totally ,..trust between a owner and repairer is paramount .

point being a customer that has formed a relationship and trusts his repairer should never need to ask " how much ",...and a repairer would be a absolute fool to abuse that trust .

those independent chains you refer to that are advertising these fixed $99 or $139 low price servicing are indeed playing with your families safety .

firstly, they are spending big $$$ advertising for the wrong type of clientele ,

secondly, its designed to get you in so you can be upsold crap you dont need to cover the big $$$ spent on advertising .[ no focus at all on items that may actually be wrong with the vehicle ]

thirdly, if the customer refuses all the upsells that are offered you simply cannot service a vehicle properly without either cutting corners or loosing money at those prices .

i dont see any winners here ,..do you ??
Old 16-06-2011, 02:53 AM   #25
ray38l

Meh. It costs me the whole amount of $5 to get my car serviced at the dealer. And that's with any oils needed and my log book stamped. If i need a new fuel filter on the service it costs $10.
The old saying is true, its not what you know but who you know.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #26
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by nt0351
those independent chains you refer to that are advertising these fixed $99 or $139 low price servicing are indeed playing with your families safety .

I dont see any winners here ,..do you ??
The lower priced services you quote are not 'Log-Book' services, rather a grease and oil change and perhaps a brake inspection.

Once the Festiva was out of warranty my local mechanic charged me $89 for grease and oil change and a 20 point inspection. Anything more was quoted and added afterwards.

I was sick to death of paying $250-300 for a 'Log book' service every 10,000km when the only difference was about 30 minutes more in labour for their 'inspections' and using the 'correct' oil and filter.

Did the car feel any better / worse between the 2 services?? Nope. Do you honestly think my safety was compromised? Nope......

And... before you jump up and down saying 'apples for apples'.... I vividly remember calling a Ford dealership with a coupon from the paper just before minor service time. The coupon was for a minor service for a 4cyl car at a local Ford dealership to me. It was around $149. The service was itemised on the coupon and the ONLY difference between what the logbook said was needed and the coupon offered was TWO 'Inspections'... THAT'S IT.

When I called FORD to book they made 2 things clear to me:

1) The 'coupon service' was NOT a 'Log Book' service and my Logbook will NOT be stamped.
2) The 'Log Book' service for my car was $259...

One of the biggest gripes people have had with new car ownership is the ripped off feeling they get when thy are charged an obscene amount for 1-1.5 hrs of labour and $60-80 worth of parts.... does the stamp in the log book really cost the $100-$150 more for a minor service?? Seems that way.

Who is the winner??? Ford, because in most cases they already have the infrastructure in place to service these cars and people are more inclined to leave the car in the hands of a dealer and the customer wins because they will have a more educated idea of long term cost of ownership...
Old 16-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #27
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What everyone is forgetting, only Ford dealers and do PCM updates. Local mechanic might be good ,but cann't do PCM updates. My WQ Fez has just had its 40k serviceand the PCM was updated...
Old 16-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #28
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
What everyone is forgetting, only Ford dealers and do PCM updates. Local mechanic might be good ,but cann't do PCM updates. My WQ Fez has just had its 40k serviceand the PCM was updated...
I reckon that's a good point.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #29
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
I wouldn't trust Ultra Tune with a dead cat..They caused $5000 worth of damage to my brothers Jackaroo. They eventually paid up, when independent mechanical advice, proved it was their fault....Ford servicing might be a bit iffy, but I trust them over Ultra Tune..
Damn straight, I'll be dead in the cold, cold ground before I let those goons from Ultratune touch any car I own again.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #30
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
The lower priced services you quote are not 'Log-Book' services, rather a grease and oil change and perhaps a brake inspection.

Once the Festiva was out of warranty my local mechanic charged me $89 for grease and oil change and a 20 point inspection. Anything more was quoted and added afterwards.

I was sick to death of paying $250-300 for a 'Log book' service every 10,000km when the only difference was about 30 minutes more in labour for their 'inspections' and using the 'correct' oil and filter.

Did the car feel any better / worse between the 2 services?? Nope. Do you honestly think my safety was compromised? Nope......

And... before you jump up and down saying 'apples for apples'.... I vividly remember calling a Ford dealership with a coupon from the paper just before minor service time. The coupon was for a minor service for a 4cyl car at a local Ford dealership to me. It was around $149. The service was itemised on the coupon and the ONLY difference between what the logbook said was needed and the coupon offered was TWO 'Inspections'... THAT'S IT.

When I called FORD to book they made 2 things clear to me:

1) The 'coupon service' was NOT a 'Log Book' service and my Logbook will NOT be stamped.
2) The 'Log Book' service for my car was $259...

One of the biggest gripes people have had with new car ownership is the ripped off feeling they get when thy are charged an obscene amount for 1-1.5 hrs of labour and $60-80 worth of parts.... does the stamp in the log book really cost the $100-$150 more for a minor service?? Seems that way.

Who is the winner??? Ford, because in most cases they already have the infrastructure in place to service these cars and people are more inclined to leave the car in the hands of a dealer and the customer wins because they will have a more educated idea of long term cost of ownership...

looks like you have it all figured out then ,...you know what they say ,.."the customer is always right " good luck with your long term cost of ownership w