Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
No.6

Default Sydney to Brisbane

Gday forum gurus!

In a months time i will be taking a short holiday to the gold coast...by car...from sydney. I have never done an epic drive of this magnitude before...in fact, the longest drive would have to be from sydney to nelson bay. So, for those of you that have done such a thing is there any tips you have or precautions i should take?

Im also interested in roughly how many kms/fuel stops it will take to get there. My car is an 09 xr6t..around sydney i get about 370-400km per tank...could i expect to get 550km per tank to brisbane?

I know i could just fly up there, but what is the use of having such a nice car when you only drive it around metro sydney!

Thanks in advance.

No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Tobey
BF Ute...

Default Re: Sydney to Brisbane

Just make sure you stop often enough and take it easy.

Its a new car so you shouldn't have any dramas, just make sure tyre pressures are correct....
Tobey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
burnz
VFII SS UTE

the coast road is good, stop at a few places check the sight seeing.
plan on a tank and a half of juice.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
GTP-814
love the quad cams

roughly 950k depending on where you live in Syd & where you are going in Bris, but in BA GTP with 4 in car I did it with 1 stop for fuel, but I went uop teh New England highway where there was less traffic & towns to crawl through. Watch to stone chips off trucks though, but a great enjoyable drive
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
fatcorty
Banned

It's not a big drive 7 hoursish should do it in a tank and a half.

Pack plenty of munchies,

Last edited by SpoolMan; 15-08-2011 at 02:20 PM.
fatcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

@Fatcorty, Just a question for you...

How did you do it in 7 hours?

When I last went up, we sat just above the speed limit, and struggled 10hrs...

And keep in mind that i'm on the coast, so I had less travel time....

OP, take a bit of food, a small jerry can, plenty of water and you should be fine...
Old 15-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
casabonka
You can call me Chris

done the trip in june last year and there was heaps of roadworks around grafton, ballina etc. Not sure what its like now, but felt like a very long drive in comparison with Syd-Melb.
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #8
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went from the central coast to Brisbane and back in about 30 hours just to see a concert . you could almost make it on one tank of fuel. I would suggest getting fuel from coffs rather than a small town. there are not many if any places on the highway after ballina.
if you are tired take a quick break, or have a redbull
Old 15-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #9
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon

OP, take a bit of food, a small jerry can, plenty of water and you should be fine...
I think you will find that fatcorty is a troll with a limited lifespan on this forum...
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrghiawagon

A very bad troll , it should take 10 to 11 with stops and comfort
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #11
fatcorty
Banned

11 hours if you drive like a grey nomad maybe.
fatcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.6
In a months time i will be taking a short holiday to the gold coast...by car...from sydney. I have never done an epic drive of this magnitude before...in fact, the longest drive would have to be from sydney to nelson bay. So, for those of you that have done such a thing is there any tips you have or precautions i should take?
Hi mate, I've done this drive more times than I care to remember and can give you a couple of tips that I give to anyone who asks..

1. Leave at a time of day that will have you going past Taree mid-morning if you can swing it. The highway between Taree and Coffs/Grafton is about the most dangerous highway I have ever come across. For some reason (particularly around Taree), cars pull out onto the highway at 60.... I can only guess they are locals who are in "town mode" or something. The road itself, whilst greatly improved, takes some odd turns, has roads running straight off turns (looks like the highway goes straight ahead at night) and is crawling with tired travellers, trucks, old farts pulling caravans etc.

2. I mostly drive Bris-Can which is 12hrs on the knocker and 2 fuel stops (though I arrive on vapour). When I do Bris-Syd its around 10hrs to the burbs and takes 2 fuel stops (and you'll have plenty in the tank).

3. Watch the fuzz.

4. For me, it isn't a big drive.... but I do a lot of long drives. If you're not used to spending time on the highway at speed for long periods, just be sensible and take note of fatigue. Trouble maintaining speed is one of the early signs of fatigue - get out and stretch your legs!

5. Better late than never.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #13
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

In my BA 6 I fill at Coffs and easily make it Surfer's. With a Turbo you may need to fill at Kempsey and then I still think you'd make it to Surfer's.

You have the 6 speed so I think you economy will the best possible from the Turbo.

And its not that bad of drive - I left at 3am and arrived at 11:30am up there (take into account time difference if there is one)
Old 15-08-2011, 03:08 PM   #14
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

I normally see two mobile camera's between Newcastle and Coffs, plus the HWY patrol like to go off roading near Taree, so try keep to the limit.

As others have said, probably one fuel stop. I'd probably suggest Coffs Harbour for that.

From basically Bulladelah to Kempsey are average speed camera's, but they might only be for trucks at this point.

Road Works between Taree & Port Macquarie are now done so its now 100/110 all the way between those two instead of 80.

Worst part of Newcastle-->Coffs for me would be just south of Urunga, road is really bad, plus lots of speed zone changes (and the Cameraman hides there often).

Not sure what stage the Ballina by-pass is at since I havent been that way for a few months now.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 03:15 PM   #15
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

I've just recently (last 2 months) done Newcastle to Brisbane & back. I went one way & came back the other. The inland New England Hwy drive is much more pleasurable & relaxed & is the only way I'll be going until the Pacific hwy is complete. Too much traffic & too many idiots (tired or just plain stupid) on the coast road. I made it on about 1 3/4 tanks in my FPV BF2 GT Cobra. If you're not used to long drives & you're the only one driving, stop every 2 hours for about 10 mins, get out & walk around. Going on how far you say you've driven in a single go, I'd say you'll start getting very tied & probably sore (back, legs) just over half way, if you're not in a hurry to get there & back, stop overnight at Armidale-Glen Innes or Coffs Harbour. Most importantly, enjoy the car & the drive!
cobramania is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #16
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

I'd suggest the following....

> Allow about 12 hours for the Pacific Highway trip, including a few breaks along the way.
> If you feel you can't make it in one go, plan for a night stop-over at
a motel about the half way mark.
> Keep an eye out for highway patrol and the Territory Speed Cam Car
> I guess you could get about 600km to a tank, highway cycle, with a
light foot. There are plenty of fuel stops along the highway though.
> If you have fun on the way up to the Goldie, consider an extended trip
back and take the New England Highway for some different scenery !

Just take it easy and enjoy the drive... it's part of the holiday !
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #17
No.6

Thanks for all the responses guys...it certainly will be an interesting drive.

Basically ill be taking the pacific highway all the way up and aiming to fill up at coffs harbour. I will be departing sydney somehwere between 7pm-10pm so all the driving will be at night. Check in time at the hotel in brisbane is about 2pm but hopefully they will let me check in earlier, if not, ill just chill out around brisbane till they let me check in. Unfortunately time wont allow me to stop half way so itll be a non stop trip to brissy, besides the stop revive survive stuff.

The other question i forgot to ask is how high is the risk of running into a kangaroo or something similar? thats the other thing that scares the bejesus out of me...do they happen often? Also, how long is the drive via new england highway?

Thanks again for the tips!
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #18
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All the unfortunate roos were run over years ago. There are hidden cameras along the way so put it on cruise control and enjoy the drive. Should take about 10 - 11 hours allowing for fuel and meal stop. The New England has less towns (60 zones) but is about an hour longer.
The main thing as in all long distance driving (or any driving), is CONCENTRATION.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2011, 11:16 PM   #19
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Wow 7pm-10pm?

Me and a mate once left at 12am and arrived at 8:30am QLD time. Though I live in Hornsby so the freeway is 2mins away. If you're in west sydney I guess youd need to at that extra time.

When you're only doing one stop and you're driving at night you will be surprised how fast the drive is! Theres hardly anyone on the road, you can sit at an indicated 110km/h (which is likely 100km/h anyway) and you'll carve up the kilometres.

Nothing worse that arriving too early, it sucks trying the burn hours when all you want to do is have a lay down after a big drive. Also our hotel wouldnt allow an early check in.
Old 15-08-2011, 11:35 PM   #20
XR6Uteman
Ute Star

Exclamation Re: Sydney to Brisbane

Quote:
Gday forum gurus!

Quote:
I will be departing sydney somehwere between 7pm-10pm so all the driving will be at night.
Its not a real good idea to be leaving when you should be going to bed especially as you haven't driven this distance before.

Leave early in the morning round 4-00am or so and you will arrive in time to check in.
XR6Uteman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 12:09 AM   #21
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Uteman
Its not a real good idea to be leaving when you should be going to bed especially as you haven't driven this distance before.

Leave early in the morning round 4-00am or so and you will arrive in time to check in.
^^^^^^^^^^Listen to this man, great advice.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 12:19 AM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

As said, DO NOT leave late in the evening (especially after a days work), rather go to bed early packed and fueled and leave before sunrise.

If you leave late in the evening you will start to get the 'nods' within an hr or 2 and will be trying all sorts of tricks to keep your eyes open. Recipie for disater. If you arrive the following morning in 1 piece you will then be a wreck anyway after being awake for 24 hrs straight. Not worth it.

Ignore this advice if you sleep days and work nights BTW ;)
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 01:00 AM   #23
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sydney to Kempsey almost all dual lane roads at 100-110 except for Bulladelah which is down to 60. From Kempsey north the fun begins, the road is rubbish but you won't have any problem at that time of night. Roadworks at Kempsey, for the new bypass, but not a lot so not much hold up there. Major roadworks north of Coffs for the Saphire to Woolgoolga upgrade which is about 40klms at 80kph. Then good to Grafton.
Grafton to Ballina reasonable road BUT BEWARE the only car related AVERAGE SPEED CAMERAS are now operating between Clarence river and Wardell with cameras in between at Little Italy, Woodburn and Broadwater. These have been truck only for some time but now have new signage like for cars and arent the high mounted overhead style. I hope I am wrong about this though. Roadworks for the Balina bypass about 6k south of Ballina but at those times you won't have a problem and it is OK for signage. From Ballina you have a section over the top of the ranges and a speed camera at the bottom of the biggest hill at Ewingsdale, well signposted. From there its all 100-110 dual lane again all the way to Brisbane.
In 30 years of driving up and down this highway I have found Mr Plod couldn't give a rats if you are no more than 10 over, after that it's a lottery up to 15 and after that it bloody well serves you right. As for the cameras they suck, more than 5 over and you are in the poo. Some, like Ewingsdale,Woodburn and Broadwater are in 60 zones and it's bludy hard to keep it down after travelling at 100 for 2 hours. A couple have been turned off, the ones between Port Macq and Kempsey have and the one at Urunga also under the O'Farrell regime.
Kangaroos aren't prevelent on any of the highway stretches but no one can garantee that sort of thing. Smaller rodents and possums etc are a regularity.
I also have an '09 XR6T and you will have no probs making Coffs to fuel. Plenty of 24hr fuel in Coffs and 24hr Maccas (drive through) at the Service Centre as you come in to Coffs on the left. Also in the centre of Coffs is a 24hr servo which is quite big and has the usual rubbish food. 24hr fuel at Halfway Creek before Grafton, then Grafton and Woodburn (also 24hr REAL burgers and coffee, a nice park by the river not maccas) and Ballina etc etc.
On all the single lane sections there are overtaking lanes at regular intervals and some o/t in between. Trucks travell at 100-110, and that includes around the bends but slow on hills which is where you should be able to easily put some space between you and him. As has been said, travelling at that time of night you will eat up the K's. I love travelling at those times and do so as often as possible. Anyhow I hope this helps and I wish you a safe and happy time away. PM me for more if you wish.
Some motels will allow you to put luggage in a safe area if you can't check in early allowing you to go off for a while and they will put them in the rooms for you.

Last edited by deesun; 16-08-2011 at 01:14 AM.
deesun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 03:07 AM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Uteman

Agreed ... get some sleep in before the drive ... you will feel more refreshed.
Get out of Sydney/Central Coast areas before the traffic starts up ... so get out for that 4am time if you can. You'll arrive a little bit after your check-in time if all goes well ... and you can unpack and crash out then. You'll feel better for it.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #25
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i usually aim to leave at 2-3am. that way you get some sleep the night before (i'm usually asleep by 8:30pm) and you miss most of the traffic and tourists for a few hours. and as an added bonus you get to go to maccas for the breakfast menu

i'll probably get flamed for this, but you can always try no-doze. it has some affect on me, but is useless on my wife. so it works for some and not others..
Old 16-08-2011, 12:20 PM   #26
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcorty
It's not a big drive 7 hoursish should do it in a tank and a half.

Pack plenty of munchies,
so you averaged 155 kph..
how fast were you going to maintain that average??
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #27
lamborghinifan

roos are out and about a bit on the new england. travelled it every 6 weeks for 2 years. hit 2, saw a many more, travelling mostly early morning, mid morning, occasionly at dusk etc. you'll pretty much only see hwp on the new england, but roos and hwp, you'd be unlucky to be stung
lamborghinifan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #28
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Not a bad drive, did it late last year in a gutless Hyundai iLoad van with 5 onboard. Made pretty good time, about 10 hours with a couple of short stopovers. 1 fuel stop. Highway patrol presence was nil. Watch for the time/distance cameras. Was a bit worried about passing them and realising what they were, but didnt care too much as the rental was under my uncle from overseas. Trucks seem to be a concern on the coastal route. Nearly got cleaned up by one when we stopped at a red light in a town and I had to drive through the red to avoid him (no kidding).
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #29
bingoTE50
Steve

Hey No6 - Deesun write up is pretty well spot on . I was doing this trip every two weeks for three months . I used to take the summerland way at Grafton and come through Casino , Lismore , then Bangalow meeting the Hwy there.
As you are a novice distance driver I would not even leave at 4am, just wake up normal and then go , stop every two hours ,even for 5 min . You will only ad at worse an hour. Budget for 11 or 12 and you will be sweet. Leave seven arrive at 7pm . I nice leisurely drive with the cruise on .If you travel at night you will be amazed with the amount of semis on the road. Been there done it.
Stick to the day time.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #30
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

People treat this like a military operation - Classic! Take water? A jerry can? Sleep 16 hours beforehand? Mate, you're not driving a Series II-A Land Rover across the Tanami Track.

Hop in the car, fill up once somewhere convenient/aligned to your pee breaks and you'll be there before you know it. Best survival equipment for this trip is taking plenty of CDs.

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post