Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #1
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Default Ford Factory Approved/Warranted Upgrades

First off this isnt intended to bag Ford/FPV in anyway and if it heads that way ill remove the posts.
Why in Australia do Ford not allow aftermarket performance support and warrant it.
Case in point
http://www.carupdater.com/cars/used/...ler=1012181258

Mountune are a factory backed tuning company for the XR5T, you can buy a warranted 260bhp XR5T Focus in NZ, now Mountune are proven with the above cars not only in NZ but all over Europe etc, why wont FoA give their customers the option of something like this? I have already modified my XR5 to the point where warranty is out the window depending where i go. Now if i was offered the option of going down the path of the Mountune Focus i most certainly would have taken it.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: Ford Factory performance support

Maybe they just haven't had much interest in it from the buying public.

Prodrive are definately looking at factory enhancement parts so there's a good chance we might see an operation similar to the ****ingforsure operation that Holden have.

Maybe it could branch out to incorparate future ST and RS Fiestas and Focuses.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Warranty...on a FORD!!!? not in this country mate... They are all like that!
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Because the XR5T Focus is no more and the new Focus ST will probably have completely different performance parts...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

because there is clowns like me that will flog the crap out of the product even more and break more stuff... more often... simple ey......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 05:00 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Because the XR5T Focus is no more and the new Focus ST will probably have completely different performance parts...
The XR5T has been around for 4 to 5 years, im not talking now i mean when it was offered around the world why wasnt it ever offered here.
I just used the XR5 to show my point, i can probably understand the Falcon as its a much smaller market though.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
The XR5T has been around for 4 to 5 years, im not talking now i mean when it was offered around the world why wasnt it ever offered here.
I just used the XR5 to show my point, i can probably understand the Falcon as its a much smaller market though.
Hey, not doing stuff for 4 or 5 years is exactly what FoA does best, look at Diesel Territory and what a smash it is...
And where was FPV in all of this, they could have been making tidy sums
on performance upgrades to the XR5Ts in Focus and Mondeos...(throws up his arms in disgust)
Old 11-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

They could have offered all the Mountune stuff for the WS Fiesta when it launched here in 2009 as well.

1088KG, rev out to 7000 RPM with their tuning package and exhaust manifold
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 06:07 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It feels like Ford AUS are still very Falcon centric with a lot of things.....
Old 11-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yeah agreed they are, but they dont even offer anything for it either.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah agreed they are, but they dont even offer anything for it either.
Well actually they do, it is called FPV.

Why do they not support backyard modifiers?

Well it may have something to do with all of our ADRs. If Ford backed "Flapmobile" with their GT-AFF 500kw carbon fibre HSV eater and it was found out that it did not comply with emission standards at -10 degrees or overheated at 240km/h in 50 degree heat because Flapmobile did not actually spend the $millions required to ensure compliance then Ford would end up in a lot of strife.

Big picture, the market is far too small to get any return. There are Mustang dealers in USA that sell more cars in a month than FPV build in a year.

Even when attempts are made here they always fall in a heap. DJR & CSV are classic examples of boutique models that no one wanted to buy.

I mean, really.....look at AFF. New supercharged V8 that will demolish the opposition, 2 maybe 3 pages, small number bought......new LPG that will save a few dollars a year in running costs, hundreds of pages with huge numbers salivating for them to become available second hand at ex-government auctions so they can mod them to be slightly quicker than a taxi but cost less to run than camry.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #12
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
First off this isnt intended to bag Ford/FPV in anyway and if it heads that way ill remove the posts.
Why in Australia do Ford not allow aftermarket performance support and warrant it.
Case in point
http://www.carupdater.com/cars/used/...ler=1012181258

Mountune are a factory backed tuning company for the XR5T, you can buy a warranted 260bhp XR5T Focus in NZ, now Mountune are proven with the above cars not only in NZ but all over Europe etc, why wont FoA give their customers the option of something like this? I have already modified my XR5 to the point where warranty is out the window depending where i go. Now if i was offered the option of going down the path of the Mountune Focus i most certainly would have taken it.
How have you come to the conclusion that this is Factory backed? Just looks like a dealer special to me.
AMGC63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #13
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well actually they do, it is called FPV.

Why do they not support backyard modifiers?

Well it may have something to do with all of our ADRs. If Ford backed "Flapmobile" with their GT-AFF 500kw carbon fibre HSV eater and it was found out that it did not comply with emission standards at -10 degrees or overheated at 240km/h in 50 degree heat because Flapmobile did not actually spend the $millions required to ensure compliance then Ford would end up in a lot of strife.

Big picture, the market is far too small to get any return. There are Mustang dealers in USA that sell more cars in a month than FPV build in a year.

Even when attempts are made here they always fall in a heap. DJR & CSV are classic examples of boutique models that no one wanted to buy.

I mean, really.....look at AFF. New supercharged V8 that will demolish the opposition, 2 maybe 3 pages, small number bought......new LPG that will save a few dollars a year in running costs, hundreds of pages with huge numbers salivating for them to become available second hand at ex-government auctions so they can mod them to be slightly quicker than a taxi but cost less to run than camry.
Yep agreed all valid points i guess.
I wouldnt exactly call my example (Mountune) a backyard modifier, as im sure Ford wouldnt allow it if it wasnt all above board.
FPV dont exactly fall into the category im talking about though.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGC63
How have you come to the conclusion that this is Factory backed? Just looks like a dealer special to me.
UUmmmm read the advert again.

3 year 100,000km Factory warranty with Roadside Assist
Factory Approved Mountune 260PS Performance package and the Mountune Cats back stainless steel exhaust,This consists of a larger tailored high-performance intercooler,a high flow air filter and a revised engine calibration for the potent 2.5 Duratec XR5 engine.Once upgraded power has increased to 260PS at 5500rpm and torque is raised to 400nm at 2500rpm-4000rpm.
Pretty obvious to me.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
UUmmmm read the advert again.

3 year 100,000km Factory warranty with Roadside Assist
Factory Approved Mountune 260PS Performance package and the Mountune Cats back stainless steel exhaust,This consists of a larger tailored high-performance intercooler,a high flow air filter and a revised engine calibration for the potent 2.5 Duratec XR5 engine.Once upgraded power has increased to 260PS at 5500rpm and torque is raised to 400nm at 2500rpm-4000rpm.
Pretty obvious to me.
LOL, ok... you're easily sold.
Untill i see doccumentation on official Ford letterhead endorcing this it has all the hallmarks of Dealer marketing spin and BS.
Id say is nothing more then a dealer special and the dealer is wearing responsibility (most likely with clauses), not FORD.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:41 PM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
LOL, ok... you're easily sold.
Untill i see doccumentation on official Ford letterhead endorcing this it has all the hallmarks of Dealer marketing spin and BS.
Id say is nothing more then a dealer special and the dealer is wearing responsibility (most likely with clauses), not FORD.
They are Ford approved, so if you were to buy the car from a dealer you have the option to have it fitted.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #17
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Aren't companys like Herrod and KPM sold through some dealers with warranty?

The warranty is useless anyway because if you want to use the power at somewhere like a dragstrip or race track it instantly voids it.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 07:51 PM   #18
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
They are Ford approved, so if you were to buy the car from a dealer you have the option to have it fitted.
Sorry, I dont mean to be picky but isnt this modification just offered by 1 NZ dealer????

Again, i cant see any evidence its even offered through other dealers in NZ let alone Australia.. Surely if it was Ford supported it would be availiable from All dealers??

I cant see any official endorcement from FORD.

Sorry but it just seems like a dealer special, not a genuine Ford upgrade option.

Ford dont normally align themselves with small time local private tuners.. That being the case its not a "factory" approved modification at all.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:52 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep agreed all valid points i guess.
I wouldnt exactly call my example (Mountune) a backyard modifier, as im sure Ford wouldnt allow it if it wasnt all above board.
FPV dont exactly fall into the category im talking about though.
Ok, well maybe backyard was not the best adjective to describe my point, boutique may be more accurate.

But still in scale, they are in pommyland next to Europe where the Focus is very common and easily outsells falcons here "lots to one".

Another problem is the endemic "tightarsedness" of Australians.

Top ten thread subjects:

What are the cheapest tyres I can fit to my car?
How do I fit cheaper brake components.
What is the cheapest LPG conversion I can fit?
Why are FPVs not $39,990 before discounts?
Where is the cheapest place I can buy a last years plate ex demo and pretend it is new?
What is the cheapest fuel I can use and why it is better than 98 PULP.
Why no one should ever buy a new car.
How can I get cheaper rego/insurance/whatever....
And it goes on and on......

Look at FPV. GT $70k+, GT-P with all the goodies $80k+, GT-E luxo $80k+

What sells, GT with no options other than stripes.
Not upgraded brakes, not upgraded suspension, not upgraded interior.....that is all to expensive and cheaper after market.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 PM   #20
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Sorry, I dont mean to be picky but isnt this modification just offered by 1 NZ dealer????

Again, i cant see any evidence its even offered through other dealers in NZ let alone Australia..

I cant see any official endorcement from FORD.

Sorry but it just seems like a dealer special, not a genuine Ford upgrade option.

Ford dont normally align themselves with small time local private tuners.. That being the case its not a "factory" approved modification at all.
Its not a dealer special.
One dealer in NZ but plenty in Europe. Of course its not genuine, but its factory approved.
Im not going to argue with you over the smallest detail, factory approved and still having factory warranty is good enough for me and a lot more then what we get here.
Quote:
Ok, well maybe backyard was not the best adjective to describe my point, boutique may be more accurate.

But still in scale, they are in pommyland next to Europe where the Focus is very common and easily outsells falcons here "lots to one".

Look at FPV. GT $70k+, GT-P with all the goodies $80k+, GT-E luxo $80k+

What sells, GT with no options other than stripes.
Not upgraded brakes, not upgraded suspension, not upgraded interior.....that is all to expensive and cheaper after market.
Agreed, well i just used the Focus as an example i know the sell better elsewhere hence more options OS.

Last edited by DJM83; 11-09-2011 at 08:07 PM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You know what it is Flappist, this is all about still wanting the factory warranty,
it's held up like a security blanket in case the favorite toy should ever break

I see FPVs like GS, GT and F6 as XR8 and XR6T modded and optioned to a level
that most regular folks would be pleased with and never want improved and
still have a full factory warranty. For those wanting even more go, suck it up and
go see a reputable modifier and lay down some serious cash for a good job.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:17 PM   #22
AMGC63
Banned

Ford used to offer performance parts through their dealers;

http://www.falcongtclub.org/performancebrochure.asp

They were proper Ford branded and backed parts avaliable through all dealers, not dealer special allignments or arrangements with tuners like this NZ dealer special example.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 PM   #23
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

FPV are only interested in Falcon variants they tried the Terry but it was so much like the T/Turbo it was not worth the extra coin for the FPV badge.
The Focus RS is a sporty little number why would FPV not see the possible sales from a Hot Hatch if they were to breath some life into one?

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #24
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Ford used to offer performance parts through their dealers;

http://www.falcongtclub.org/performancebrochure.asp

They were proper Ford branded and backed parts avaliable through all dealers, not dealer special allignments or arrangements with tuners like this NZ dealer special example.
As i said im not going to argue over a stupid little point. Ill change the title of the thread just for you.
Point is its available at the dealer when you buy the car and its FACTORY APPROVED.
If it were available to me when i bought mine id have got it fitted.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:28 PM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As i said im not going to argue over a stupid little point. Ill change the title of the thread just for you.
Point is its available at the dealer when you buy the car and its FACTORY APPROVED.
If it were available to me when i bought mine id have got it fitted.
Here's the difference, the NZ Focus is imported with European specifications
where as the Aussie versions are a special run to fit ADR complianced parts,
that might be the reason that the NZ Focus has that FoE access where as FoA
take ownership of the regional variation that's been re engineered by them.
It's a very subtle change but might explain why approval is not available to Aus vehicles.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #26
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Here's the difference, the NZ Focus is imported with European specifications
where as the Aussie versions are a special run to fit ADR complianced parts,
that might be the reason that the NZ Focus has that FoE access where as FoA
take ownership of the regional variation that's been re engineered by them.
It's a very subtle change but might explain why approval is not available to Aus vehicles.
HHhmmm i didnt know that, still these upgrades can be fitted aftermarket but with no warranty.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #27
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Its not a dealer special.
One dealer in NZ but plenty in Europe. Of course its not genuine, but its factory approved.
Im not going to argue with you over the smallest detail, factory approved and still having factory warranty is good enough for me and a lot more then what we get here.

Agreed, well i just used the Focus as an example i know the sell better elsewhere hence more options OS.
It isn't just the one dealer, they have been for sale all over NZ for some time with this Mountune Upgrade (with factory warranty). This white one is probably the only one left.

There is a black in in Nelson also.

Ford also brought the latest RS in (in very limited numbers) with the Mountune MP350 Upgrade as standard.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 08:34 PM   #28
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's not a dealer special
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #29
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE
It isn't just the one dealer, they have been for sale all over NZ for some time with this Mountune Upgrade (with factory warranty). This white one is probably the only one left.

There is a black in in Nelson also.

Ford also brought the latest RS in (in very limited numbers) with the Mountune MP350 Upgrade as standard.
Thanks for that, i wasnt sure how many dealers there were. I know about the RS upgrade aswell.

Quote:
It's not a dealer special
Thankyou
I just wish FoA would do something like this with the cars they sell here, not just the Focus but XR6T and maybe FPV aswell.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:39 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yet that upgrade was not available to Focus RS vehicles sold in Australia.....