Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-12-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Default Free to a good Home - Loving dog needs to be re homed.

Hi everyone, I am posting this for friends who are moving overseas and unfortunately need to re home their dog.

Free to a good home - 6 Year Old American Staffy, up to date vacc's. desexed and is very social, she is from a good home and is great around children. Current owners are moving OS and want to find a decent home for her. registered with their local council and have never had any problems with her. Please let me know if you are interested.

They are currently located in Wyndham Vale and really do want the dog to go to a loving and caring home. They are scheduled to leave early in the new year and are happy to let you and your family have a trial run with the dog if you are serious about it.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Re: Free to a good Home - Loving dog needs to be re homed.

that has to be heartbreaking for the family, I could not give away either of our dogs

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
that has to be heartbreaking for the family, I could not give away either of our dogs
It is mate, they are very upset at a time they should be happy, he almost never took the job as he has no choice but to find a new home for her. He really really does not want to have to resort to taking her to a shelter.....

Craig
Old 29-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #4
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
It is mate, they are very upset at a time they should be happy, he almost never took the job as he has no choice but to find a new home for her. He really really does not want to have to resort to taking her to a shelter.....
At risk of sounding like a complete idiot, would it be possible to take it over there with him?

Obviously, for whatever reason, it isn't happening. But I am interested to know whether it is even possible. Would it be a cost issue to transport the dog overseas with him, or is it something else?
krzysiek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
jrfttf
Getting By!?

i say it would be cost and the ******** of quarantine ect!
jrfttf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #6
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Getting dogs in Australia out of the country isn't a problem as we don't have rabies; it's getting them back in. I looked at moving to Canada a little while back, and the fine print changed my mind, my dog would have been in quarantine for between 30 and 90 days (providing he was healthy). The fine print advised that there was no guarantee he would be allowed back in the country...it was a risk I wasn't prepared to take. You are required to pay for quarantine fees whilst your dog is 'detained' as well...it's not a cheap exercise.

There are also regulations on what kind of dogs are allowed in certain countries, restricted breeds, etc. I don't think they've managed to add the American staffy to the BSL, but there are a lot of countries now that discriminate against dogs that even 'look like' pit bulls (Ireland, etc.).

If you can get me some details, I've got a mate in Melbourne who may be able to help, she tries to rehome dogs (primarily Mali's), but she was having a big struggle trying to prevent pounds from putting animals down over Christmas. There were a lot of animals that just couldn't be saved...now is definitely not the right time to put a dog in a shelter... :(

When does your friend leave? And do they plan on coming back?

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #7
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could probably ask a local breeder if they know of people looking for dogs. Our breeder help relocate dogs (Schnauzers though).

As for taking them, as said, getting them out of Oz isn't too bad. It's the getting them back in that is a pain in the rear end. We took our two over to NZ last year, but thankfully the two countries are rabies free and there was no hassles for our two. No quarantine either, just vet checks at either end. But even that took me three weeks to organise.

Edit: And transporting dogs ain't cheap either. Thankfully, we were't paying for it.
Old 29-12-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
now is definitely not the right time to put a dog in a shelter... :(
Agreed. The rate of euthanisations rises very quickly as people realise the puppy they got for christmas isnt just a toy.
Old 29-12-2011, 09:19 PM   #9
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
G

When does your friend leave? And do they plan on coming back?
Early in the new year and its at least a 2 year job in the USA with possible extensions.......

Craig
Old 29-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

If they're going for that long, and the dog is already 6 (and he doesn't really want to leave her)...I'd suggest heading to an AQIS accredited vet, get her a rabies vaccination and put her on a plane...

If it's a work transfer, those costs 'should' be covered by the company he's going to work for...(maybe a little 'providing he didn't actively ask for the transfer' may come into play)...

If that's not an option, if you can get me a photo and some details, I'll see what I can do.

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 10:04 PM   #11
gtfpv
GT

Gutwrentched !!!
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

this thread has caused arguements between missus and i. She wont budge as she has her pets (bunny and birds) and says dogs dont mix well.
I would love to take this dog does it come with a house because i think i'll need a new home aswell
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #13
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sezzy, the problem is getting them back in again afterwards.

Importing from USA: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs...ng%20Hawaii%29

Exporting info: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/export/live-animals

Edit: Actually this might be better: http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/returning
Old 29-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #14
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub247
this thread has caused arguements between missus and i. She wont budge as she has her pets (bunny and birds) and says dogs dont mix well.
I would love to take this dog does it come with a house because i think i'll need a new home aswell

i dont feel good about this . for the dog . if you take the dog i will personally send you $20.
Old 29-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #15
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub247

Isn't that only an issue when you put the dog in the cages with the other animals?
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2011, 01:07 AM   #16
da_ilks

Hi all,

It's actually my dog that needs to be re-homed :( There's a few things stopping us from taking her:

a) A lot of carriers simply won't ship over a "dangerous" dog, although the only thing she might do is lick you to death!
b) We're moving into an apartment - she'll go stir crazy as she's used to having a backyard. We can keep her entertained with walks etc but it won't be the same
c) When we get back here it means been locked up in quarantine for 3months, and again, considering her breed I doubt it will be easy to convince them to let her back in the country
d) Getting her looked after whilst we're on holidays here is easy, folks can come around etc. Been overseas and away from "home" is a lot more difficult, as she'd be be couped up in the apartment or we'd have to find her a kennel - again, with her breed easier said then done.

It really is a gut wrenching decision and easily the hardest thing about the move - I just want to ensure whoever takes her gives her a great home because she's a terrific dog. My only requirement is having her go to a home without another dog - she's currently living with our lab but he is *very* submissive so no issues between them. She's fine with other dogs when out and about on walks, even completely ignored a boxer that lunged at her one day, but living 24/7 with another dominant dog would make me a little uneasy.

Re: other pets. She's lived with our cat for 3 years and apart from annoying the bejesus out of her by chasing/sniffing/licking her, she's never harmed her, even when the cat has her claws in the face and teeth latched onto the snout!

If you want any details don't hesitate to PM me.

Cheers,
Chris
da_ilks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #17
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

You need to be very aware that for this dog to be classed as an American Staffordshire, it must have ANKC Registration papers and currently have a certificate verifying this which the local state bodies have organized.

If it doesn't it has to have been Registered with the local council as a Dangerous dog/restricted breed and the deadline has passed if this has not been done. It now is strictly controlled and if the dog has not been through this process, they will seize it and put it down. I would imagine moving it will also cause alarm bells if this has not been done. Non registered Am Staffs will be classed as Pit Bulls unless you can prove it. If the dog is not microchipped, you are in a corner.

Just be very careful homing this dog or deciding to home it. This is roughly the current situation and please do not start a debate here regarding the rights and wrongs of the new laws. This will be Moderated with Warnings without any debate.

Gaela

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #18
Pub247
Resident F1 Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotski
Isn't that only an issue when you put the dog in the cages with the other animals?
My missus lets her pets out of the cage for awhile doesnt beleive that animals should be locked in cages all day. Another issue is our 2 year old girl i dont beleive staffy's pose and risk to children as we have had staffys (3 of them) before including when my sister was only a baby/growing up. But its been hard to convince the missus otherwise best of luck finding a home.
Pub247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #19
gtfpv
GT

when my son was 3 he bit our german shephards tongue . the shephard did nothing but yelp . we went to a party , un be known to us there were 5 pitbulls supposed to be locked in a room of this house . the door wasnt locked , we found my son sitting in a room in the middle of 5 pitbulls he was a baby . my son is now 11 , we have a cocker spanial we will not let our son put his face near our cocker of 5 years , because he will bite the hand that feeds him . just sayin .
i hope this dog goes to a good home , some of them are just non harmfull and great pets .