Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Townsville drag strip under threat of closure

A bit of history first...

The drag strip has (as the article says) been there for 30yrs and built on top a WW2 airstrip (the remains of the old runway are still there just past the end of the drag strip).

Across the road is the Townsville go-kart track.

Now the Bohle is an industrial area, until 2009 whereby the current council rezoned it it residential (in a move which upset all the established businesses there).

The gokart track is privately owned and was apparently offered to be bought out by council for a sum of $2.5MILLION in 2009. The owners told the council where to go.

Last year the gokart track owners reached an agreement with council and developers in regards to noise issues as there was a fear that they would be forced to close because of council noise regulations in residential areas. Housing estate is to be built all around the gokart track and roads have already been been built next door where the land has been subdivided.
(just remember this facility has been there over 10yrs and it was miles from housing).

Now before we got a the $55MILLION WHITE ELEPHANT V8 street circuit (which gets used once a year), there was a idea of a perminant street circuit (race track) to be built at the Bohle and land was allocated.
Council REFUSED the idea and said it was unsuitable (brown paper bags from developers), instead they built a useless circuit in the middle of town.

Now again we see a lack of vision, lack of planning (rubber stamping housing at all costs) threatening an established 30yrs old facility.

Quote:
TOWNSVILLE dragway could close within a month and ther are fears it would cause an upsurge in deadly street racing on the city's public roads.

Kingsun Investments owns the land on which the dragway is built, at Bohle, and is in a joint-venture with Parkside Development to turn major parcels of land into new housing estates.

Townsville Dragway proprietor Jean Mobbs said the facility could close within a month if she was told to vacate the land by the owner.

"We have no idea how long we can stay, but we are assuming that we haven't got long," she said.

"It's a case of waiting to get that phone call telling us we have to leave."

Drag racer Darryl Chapman, who last year survived a 250km/h race crash at Barcaldine, said the closure of the track would force young drivers to illegally street race.

"The street meets here give everyone a chance to race their cars in a safe environment and teach everybody to keep the racing on the track," he said.

"If this place gets shut down the racing will just move to the highway or the back streets around town.

"Someone is going to get killed for sure if we lose this track."

Mr Chapman said technology was making it easier for illegal street racers to evade police.

"Now everyone is on Facebook and they can organise an illegal street race over the internet and have lookouts sitting on their mobile phones," he said.

"If we take away the track, people will just take (the racing) underground."

Mrs Mobbs and her husband Ray built all the improvements to the dragway over a 30-year period and the couple would suffer a significant financial loss if it was forced to close.

"Everything that's in there at the moment we built," Mrs Mobbs said. "To replace it would cost about $9 million because we would have to do everything in one hit."

"We can't afford that and when we leave from here everything comes with us."

The State Government in 2009 offered Townsville City Council a parcel of land also at the Bohle for a driver training and motorsport facility.

Councillor Vern Veitch said the site chosen by the State Government was unsuitable.

"Independent experts (commissioned by TCC) found the noise level was too high in nearby housing areas to run any drag events," he said.

"We need somewhere far away from the housing growth boundary. There needs to be some serious work done to find the right spot away from potential new developments but not too far out of town."

Bruce Kingsun, owner of Kingsun Investments, said the land on which the dragway is located will eventually be turned into housing.

"It will be turned into a housing development at some stage, but that's all I'm really prepared to say about it," he said.

A drag for street legal vehicles will be held this weekend, weather permitting.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #2
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Default Re: Townsville drag strip under threat of closure

Its happening everywhere the same type of stuff Sydney lost Castlereigh drag strip, Amaroo park then we lost Oran park all iconic in their day, they all existed away from home developments now the urban sprawl has claimed them all.
Sad thing is once their gone they wont be replaced.
Bit like the idiots who bought cheap blocks near Medowie and built new homes in Newcastle and now all the people do is whinge about the RAAF base and planes leaving Williamtown... well derr the airstrip was there well before you built your homes.
Difference there is GOVCO own that facility so no chance of it closing down.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bit like the idiots who bought cheap blocks near Medowie and built new homes in Newcastle and now all the people do is whinge about the RAAF base and planes leaving Williamtown... well derr the airstrip was there well before you built your homes.
Difference there is GOVCO own that facility so no chance of it closing down.
Sadly yes same thing happens here with people who buy houses near the end of the runway at Mt Lousia.... they all whinge about the Hornets whenever there is an exersize.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sad situation!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
Assassinbm

Surfers Paradise all over again, very sad
Old 03-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pfft...... just how is Bohle considered to be residential!?

Sad to know just how the council has again put the squeeze on the North Queensland motorsport community.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
*rayman*
454 Power

I'm surprised it's still operating... That new 'Greater Ascot' development is literally a stones throw from the strip now. Kalynda Chase is getting closer.

You can hear the drags down in Deeragun when there is a street meet on. These people in these suburbs on the doorstep of the drags will be complaining about the noise soon enough...

So, the drag strip is going to get redeveloped into residential living, they will be living across the road from the new commercial development thats just gone in.???

TOY - 68 SS 454 Camaro
*rayman* is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If they want to build houses next to things like that, maybe they should create extra regulations that all houses near those facilities have to have double glazed windows and other noise cancelling insulation/methods.

Then everyone could be happy, they won't have an issue with noise if their house is set up properly, and people can still race there.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is exactly like Calder Park. Track built middle of no where. Houses get built, track suffers.

Basically comes down to the dollar, the land is worth more with houses on it than a race track.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #10
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Yes this is all true but sometimes and i repeat sometimes the Tracks do nothing too help themselves. I had some involvement with the GOLD COAST KART CLUB's track which has had its track and land taken off them by the Government due to urban sprawl. They offered the Club huge amounts of money and alternate land to build a new track which was to be council approved at force by the government. The club stood its ground and when push came to shove they took the track and land and gave them the money ( read $3 plus million) but as they stood there ground they did not get any alternate land or council approval. Now they could not get any land anywhere that the council would approve and when they did find land the council would come up with some bull. The thing is that we can not stop the urban sprawl and if the track owners work with Government and council from the start than brand new better facilities can be built at sites that will suit. Its when track owners are not willing to work with the developers and government bodies that the get thrown out on the ear with money and no where to build. The Townsville V8 track is a joke, why would you spend that much money in an area that has no motor sport complex within 1400km for once a year. Whoever did it should be shot for a waste of tax payers money
Old 03-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

It's a crap track anyway, never prepared properly and impossible to get traction from the start. my mates and i have been travelling to mackay for the last two years for this exact reason. I hope it does close.

I'm really disappointed though that we don't have a track here to use. the V8's coming here were a perfect excuse to make one and instead they wasted 50 million on something that only gets used once a month.

Last edited by fordomatic; 03-02-2012 at 07:28 PM.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #12
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
It's a crap track anyway, never prepared properly and impossible to get traction from the start. my mates and i have been travelling to mackay for the last two years for this exact reason. I hope it does close.

I'm really disappointed though that we don't have a track here to use. the V8's coming here were a perfect excuse to make one and instead they wasted 50 million on something that only gets used once a month.

Once a month? Nope... it gets used once a year for racing and occasional concerts (much to the dismay of residents). Remember now this was vacant park land and surrounded by homes which were there for over 70yrs.

Irrespective of the "quality" of the track, the fact remains it will close and no one will have anywhere to go locally, which means the chances of street racing will increase.

The bohle area has been industrial zoned for over 40yrs and it was at least 15 to 20km from the nearest homes until the Mount Louisa area was allowed to develop (under and right next to the flight path of aircraft, which pass by at 800ft as the airport is just 1km away) and Kalynda Chase was built near it a few years ago.

I am throughly disgusted at this councils attitude to this situation and one councillor (Vern) bluntly said IT WILL GO AHEAD....

Old 03-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
protd
TUFF FORDS

no surprise it's been in motion for over 5 years, i'm quite surprised it's still going, i think if the building boom had not have slowed it would have been gone 2 years ago..
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #14
protd
TUFF FORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic

so you and your mates don't like it so it should close and ***** everyone else, there are others besides you and your mates:raised eye

granted the track is a pos and rays a arrogant ******** but lack of support to these things brings about there ending, after reading TD website i think regardless of the housing it was coming to the end anyway..

whats sad is you guys have the track and 90% of the cars that go there are from out of town
Old 03-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

yeh Jim typo, my bad. meant to say once a year. it really does annoy me that we don't have a track here, it would get alot of use if we had one.

Let's get real, on a weekly street meet there is lucky to be 30 cars at the track. Ray can't be making much money of it (not that he spends any on the track). Although he has said he will put vht traction compound to the 60ft line for tomorrows event.

Street racing here is huge, always has been, it still goes on quite regularly out on Ingham road and the bohle and north up to bluewater. You are ignorant if you think it does not happen here any more. When it's wet Ingham road and the industrial area is every townsville bogans skid pan at 10pm. closing the track wont make a difference.

protd, i know i was harsh to say it should close im just over the inconsistencies of the track. As is almost everyone you speak to on a typical street drag night. I wonder if they will build a new one when this one closes?

I will be there tomorrow night having a couple of runs, but it's my guess it will be one of the last nights there.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #16
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes i know of plenty area around town where burnouts happen and a bit of racing at night... this is always a gimmie here as the number of bogans here just keep increasing.

Sadly though for those who want to do the right thing what other choice will they have?

If the motor sports track was built when the idea was floated 5yrs ago then things would be a little different. A purpose built facilty incorporating go-karts, drag way and a proper race circuit wouldve been nice.

However since some 50/60Million was wasted on our "street circuit" (which only has two parts as actual gazetted roads)I doubt nothing will happen.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #17
protd
TUFF FORDS

I know it won't really benefit townsville but there is a proposal for a new track, we have the land, we have approval just need funding now, a local developer has given $1 million dollars, we need to raise another million for work to start..

http://www.springmountdragracing.com/wb/
Old 03-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #18
FezXR6

I live in Northshore and don't hear a thing. I went a few weeks ago and there was a small turnout but it was still a good atmosphere. If i wasn't away with work at the moment i would defiantly be there tomorrow night supporting what needs to stay. Stuff this council all they want is more rate payers by building houses but yet it won't effect anything else that happens in this fantastic town.

Keep the strip keep the history so we can all meet other people that have the same passion as each other.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #19
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To me the track is very important, without it if I want to continue racing I have to drive to Mackay or Springmount if it gets built. Not only is this a long way for me to tow my car but it's an over nighter meaning I have to find accomodation and a safe place for the car and trailer.
JG33RD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 01:41 AM   #20
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its time to start looking elswhere for a new drag strip to be built as they never fix anything and it is pretty delapidated and dangerous after you cross the finish line with all the potholes especially .I have been goin for years and nothing is ever done to better the place
Really i can't see why one can't be made at woodstock or somewhere like that, Charters Towers wants a strip bad and we need a new one with new managment so with both towns working together it would be win win??
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #21
FezXR6

How did the turn out go last night guys? Any pictures out there?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #22
deztroy85
Starter Motor

It's a joke they talk about taking racing off the streets and this happens Damn doosh bags. Reminds me too went up to ingham last year for the car show and frigin dept of transport is pulling every one over and fineing them for minor things and all these guys were doing were travelling to a place where the could lay lines in a safe controlled environment we cant win either way!
deztroy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #23
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Show up or shut up.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:00 PM   #24
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yea I was about to post that info above!

Come on Townvillians lets get behind this.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #25
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hope to see you there Jim, bring your XB I'll have mine on a trailer.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #26
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its on again folks:

http://www.facebook.com/events/394771887203459/

Quote:
Sunday, 11 March 2012
09:00 until 11:00

BBQ'S GALORE CARPARK, CANNON PARK, KIRWAN. TOWNSVILLE

CRUISE FOR DRIVER EDUCATION & MOTORSPORT PRECINCT IN TOWNSVILLE

YOU DID IT ONCE…. LET’S DO IT AGAIN!!!!!
START: SUNDAY 11TH MARCH 10.00AM TO 10.15AM - MEET AT CAR PARK JUST PAST READINGS CINEMA CANNON PARK WHERE OLD HARDWARE STORE BURNT DOWN – LOOK FOR SIGNS.
WE WILL CRUZE THROUGH TOWN BY CONVOY WITH POLICE GUIDANCE AT START AND BACK TO TOWNSVILLE SHOWGROUNDS VIA KINGS ROAD ENTRANCE.
WE NEED YOU AT THE SHOWGROUNDS FROM 11:30AM TO 1:00PM
WE NEED HOT STREET CARS & TRUCKS, SPEEDWAY CARS & BIKES, DRAG CARS & BIKES, CARTS, RALLY CARS, CIRCUIT CARS & BIKES – ANYTHING INVOLVING MOTORSPORTS (UNREGISTERED VEHICLES ON TRAILERS)… LET’S SHOW OUR STRENGTH!
FOOD AND DRINKS WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR SALE.
SUPPORT THE MOVEMENT THAT SUPPORTS A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR ALL MOTORING GROUPS AND GET OUR KIDS OFF THE ROADS.
WE WANT MORE PEOPLE, MORE MEDIA AND MORE CARS. TELL YOUR FRIENDS!
THE TOWNSVILLE CITY COUNCIL AND STATE GOVERNMENT
NEED TO KNOW WE ARE SERIOUS!
TELL AS MANY PEOPLE AS YOU CAN - WE WANT TO MAKE THIS THE BIGGEST CRUZE TOWNSVILLE HAS EVER SEEN!
SEE YOU THERE!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #27
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG33RD
Hope to see you there Jim, bring your XB I'll have mine on a trailer.
i think i saw it??? blue and silver??

Old 07-03-2012, 09:59 AM   #28
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah mate that was it, can't make it this time unfortunately. Had to take a day off to go last time, won't be able to this time. Hope it goes well and the crowd show up.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #29
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG33RD
Yeah mate that was it, can't make it this time unfortunately. Had to take a day off to go last time, won't be able to this time. Hope it goes well and the crowd show up.
Bugga!

Also the cruise will now end at Pit Lane at Reid Park, not the showgrounds.

Old 14-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #30
JG33RD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So how did it go Jim?