Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 18-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #1
marshro

Default under the radar ??

hey guys just wondering what you think about xr6t vs xr8 for less attention from the fuzz if you keep it stock on the outside??? its always nice to have a car 2mm from the ground on 20" rims with a loud exhaust haha but if you dont want any attention what would you go 8 or 6 turbo???

cheers Rory

[SIZE=3]2004 Ba xr6 ute in blueprint Typhoon upper and lower CAI! BMC air filter and a custom exhaust with pacemaker extractors with magna flow hi flo cat!! kicker 12" solo baric L5 with 1000w response mono block and 2 6" moral splits up front! And alpine 6x9 type R for the back with a 4ch genisis amp! lots of mods to come! (under drive cams LSD and custom tune with blue power cai [/SIZE

custom gear knobs! http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349707
Old 18-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #2
z80
Banned

Default Re: under the radar ??

They don't care in my opinion.
Old 18-02-2012, 02:39 AM   #3
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Are you asking which car attracts the most attention bog stock, an XR8 or XR6T? You wouldn't get any attention unless you drove it like a ******, so don't do that and you'll be fine.
Old 18-02-2012, 02:55 AM   #4
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshro
its always nice to have a car 2mm from the ground on 20" rims with a loud exhaust
That doesn't sound nice at all....

I think the XR6T has gained more of a reputation as a hoon's car, but who knows if they are targeted more overall. I've been pulled over (quite recently in fact) and when I asked them why they overtook other cars to get to me, their reasoning was that I was driving an XR6 Turbo. That wasn't the first time I've been targeted either (and by targeted, I mean the police car will overtake a bunch of cars to get behind me and pull me over). I have since removed the turbo badge from my car.
Old 18-02-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
scottyg938
Stock Boss

judging by your age I'm going to guess you're on P plate restrictions?

If so neither, not worth the risk considering you will be uninsured if anything happens. Just wait it out just like everyone else has to.

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
Old 18-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshro
hey guys just wondering what you think about xr6t vs xr8 for less attention from the fuzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyg938
judging by your age I'm going to guess you're on P plate restrictions?.
Hmm the fuzz??? judging by you age you must be at least 50 years old. I have not heard that one for a couple of decades or so, sucks to be back on plates at that age

Just kidding!

Seriously, if you slam a car within a couple of mm's of it's life (even if it is barely legal) and then stick on a set of 20's, not only would the overall ride be RS (no to be confused with IRS), you would also stick out like the proverbial and I reckon you will still be constantly picked on no matter what you drive, especially if you are young and on your P's.

If you are attempting to fly under the radar and you wanted a quick car, then this would not be first thing you would do imho, if anything cars that are lowered with big wheels more often than not are basic 6 cyl show ponies that normally attract that sort of unwanted attention anyway.

Bud Bud
Old 18-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #7
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

" its always nice to have a car 2mm from the ground on 20" rims with a loud exhaust "

If you have a death wish I suppose
Old 18-02-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Apart from a Golf R32 and a 3 month stint in a Ghia, have mostly driven V8's and currently drive a T6. Number of times I've been pulled over for anything other than a booze bus breath test in the last 20 years? 0.0
Old 18-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most cops wouldnt know the difference to look at the car, I wouldnt bother using that as a reason to buy or not buy a particular car

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
Old 18-02-2012, 08:49 AM   #10
XARATE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Quality contribution which has gone somewhat un-noticed so far. 

I drove a ba xr8 on my green p's for 9 months without an issue. It was bog stock with no stickers or badges and lowered only a tiny bit. Having a stock looking car helped but its all about how you drive and your attitude, just drive sensibly and dont do anything thats attention grabbing. When you do get pulled over for a rbt (make sure you have p plates on) treat the officer with the upmost respect, answer their questions quickly and politely. Address then with Sir and Maam or if you know their ranking use officer sargent ect

If you keep the police happy most of the time you wont have an issue
I even had a minor car accident and insurance never said a word. Ecen the rego was in my name.
Old 18-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
marshro

with the 20s and what not i was just saying its nice to make a car look good but if i got a 8 or 6turbo i would keep it stock (besides sound system) and just wondering is a 8 much louder then a 6turbo? like can you notice the difference? and i know yes they will pull you over if you doing 100 in a 60 zone or sliding around but i drive quite responsibly
[SIZE=3]2004 Ba xr6 ute in blueprint Typhoon upper and lower CAI! BMC air filter and a custom exhaust with pacemaker extractors with magna flow hi flo cat!! kicker 12" solo baric L5 with 1000w response mono block and 2 6" moral splits up front! And alpine 6x9 type R for the back with a 4ch genisis amp! lots of mods to come! (under drive cams LSD and custom tune with blue power cai [/SIZE

custom gear knobs! http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349707
Old 18-02-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

If your car is legal, and you drive responsibily, as you say, you will just be another car on the road. It makes no difference to the "fuzz" what make or model you drive IMHO.
Old 18-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

as long as you don't drive like your a hoon or a drunk and keep to the road rules you should be fine, though i know people who get pulled up all the time. (they drive a Ba stock xr6 with koenig rims that are shinier than a new coin)
Old 18-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
MrEL
Sick Puppy

If you want to fly under the radar get an XR6T remove all the kit and badges and put XT gear on it.
Old 18-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have a BF MK11 xr6 turbo (breeze) with a ba gt body kit, staggered 20's with "FRINEM" plates.. Angle eye 's.. and have had the cops behind me with no problem.
Old 18-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
letmeinplease
Starter Motor

my stock xr6 with nice wheels actually got no attention but then again it wasnt "slammed on its bum"
Old 18-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #17
Ibo
Force Fed Ford

I drive a BF xr6 turbo (debadged) on my P's with xr8 bonnet, r spec typhoon rims and middle muffler removed. Never been pulled over for any reason other than RBT and because one police officer thought i was high beaming him.

Never had a drama, don't drive like an idiot and always speak to them with the respect they deserve.

Having said that mate, there are always risks. You get that one **** retentive traffic cop having a bad day and game over.

Does anyone know the penalty for driving a high powered vehicle on your p's?

**Edit. SL backs and stock fronts. Doesn't look that low but gives it a nice touch.
Old 18-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As others have stated and you have stated, by not driving like sir hoonigan, you're just another car on the road to the fuzz/plod.

My EB that I drive on my P's is tastefully lowered and has a nice note to the exhaust and I have never been picked on by the Police. Been pulled over for checks, booze buses and even pulled up to when I was parked on the side of the road talking to friends. Never had a problem because like everyone should, I treat others, especially the Police, with the utmost respect.

In regards to your question, other than the bonnet, the 6t and 8 look pretty much the same, so it comes to personal preference whether you like the tsssssssss of a turbo, or the earth shattering rumble of a Ford V8 beneath your foot.
Old 18-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive driven my BF XR6 that has 175rwkw, with a pretty bloody loud exhaust, lowered (not by heeps) on 20's for two years on my P's. Ive never been pulled over. Even at booze bus stops with TMU around, they just take the alcohol reading nd I drive off, sometimes they even compliment the car >.<

In my experience, they really dont care, as long as you dont give them a reason to pull you over, like hooning, speeding, too low ect, they shouldnt bother you.
Old 18-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #20
billy302

Hoon, Looks at some of the motor bikes and the people who ride them.
The acceleration of a bike once experienced is addictive, I know from personal experience. Nothing matches the shear kick you get from these things.
I've been stopped as many as 8 times in 6 Km, why because of the way I rode it.
Police have a responsibility it stop bad driving wherever they find it.
Be it in a Suzuki swift or an Commodore R8, Falcon XR8 or XR6, it doesn't matter. I've actually seen a guy in a BMW drive backward into oncoming traffic on a freeway with traffic coming toward him travelling at in excess of 100 Kmh.
The mind boggles.

Last edited by billy302; 18-02-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Closed Thread