Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-02-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Lazy Peac*ck EB

Default XF Falcon Ute Hill Climb Car

I have just bought an XF with a 4.1L in it, it already has triple Holley carb, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, TREMEC 5 Speed manual, 3.45 LSD, with 12 slotters. Bucket seats (not race spec but not a bench seat) and a stage 4 crow cam. Lumpy as all hell.

I really want to get a few things priced so I can work on chipping away at the huge figure that will be the total cost! Im up in brisbane, so local would be awesome.

I know this is a lot to ask but if someone knows of anyone who can sort my stuff out that would be awesome!

I would really want:

Umm nolathane bushes,
new ball joints,
rod ends,
stiffer coils and shocks,
sway bars,
roll bar,
strut bar
and hopefully a whole new sub frame, custom made to fit the tub of the ute with light weight aluminnium for rigidity.
Then we will look at decking the block,
shaving the head,
over sized pistons,
ported and polished valves.

Bigger brakes too are a must!

Can anyone help me? haha

Here is a pic of the old girl

Ma Project Car Now

Grandpa ED with ma hectic louvres, LPG, stock as she goes, surprisingly reliable and goes ****in hard on gas!

Toy Car

XF UTE with XR6 Headlights, Chromed 12 Slotters, 4.1L 250 Crossflow, Triple Holley Carbs, Stage 4 Crow Cam, Extractors, 3" Exhaust, Yella Terra Roller Rockers, 5 Speed TREMEC Manual Box, 3.45 9" LSD. SOLD :(

Come at me Holden.

Last edited by Lazy Peac*ck EB; 24-05-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Lazy Peac*ck EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #2
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: XF Falcon Ute Hill Climb Car

if its a hillclimb car, brakes arent really a massive issue. After all its up hill & if you back off a little the car should slow enough without the need for bigger brakes.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale
if its a hillclimb car, brakes arent really a massive issue. After all its up hill & if you back off a little the car should slow enough without the need for bigger brakes.
+1, if it was downhill racing go for upgraded brakes. If it was hillclimb competition I'd be chasing a bigger motor or forced induction . What about a 4.11 diff?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Djrystofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
+1, if it was downhill racing go for upgraded brakes. If it was hillclimb competition I'd be chasing a bigger motor or forced induction . What about a 4.11 diff?
And if he's going to go forced induction, thicker tires would be nice
Djrystofer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'd have thought the xf ute unsuitable for a serious hill climb racer. too heavy in the front, too light in the rear for starters.
Old 29-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
Lazy Peac*ck EB

That's exactly why I want to do it, because no one does it. It's not like I can't drive and my co driver is a go kart champion for his age and Is now driving formula fords so I'm up for a challenge. I wasn't sure if a 4.11 diff was worth it.

Ma Project Car Now

Grandpa ED with ma hectic louvres, LPG, stock as she goes, surprisingly reliable and goes ****in hard on gas!

Toy Car

XF UTE with XR6 Headlights, Chromed 12 Slotters, 4.1L 250 Crossflow, Triple Holley Carbs, Stage 4 Crow Cam, Extractors, 3" Exhaust, Yella Terra Roller Rockers, 5 Speed TREMEC Manual Box, 3.45 9" LSD. SOLD :(

Come at me Holden.
Old 29-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok, reminds me of the guy rallying one a few years ago. He loved doing it different. the light rear end made it easier to flick around, but made it hard to get the power down.
Old 29-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Cool project..for a bit of weight could you mount the fuel tank higher in the tray over the rear axle?

Ive been thinking about a XD/XE ute done up Dick Johnson style, flares and all, would be something different and a bit of fun.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
Lazy Peac*ck EB

Yeh I guess you could but I don't know what type of scrutineering you would have to meet when re locating the fuel tank. I'm relocating the battery to the tub, not that that's gonna affect weight distribution. It's always gonna be a handful to drive but that's what's gonna be fun about it! So anyone have an idea on prices??

Ma Project Car Now

Toy Car

Come at me Holden.
Old 29-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Recess the firewall and shift the motor back a good 6 inches and remove whats not needed, 4.11' s might be a bit to revvy for a crossflow keep the revs down and use the torque to pull you round the corners... forced induction
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
XRO6
On the hunt for grunt

By the long list of mods that you have suggested, along with a long list of mods that you will need, a budget well in excess of 10K will see you through!!!!
Old 29-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #12
max_torq
From the Futura

Is this proper hillclimbs on a tarmac run by a CAMS club etc. If so look at the CAMS 2E rules for allowable modifications, usually the clubs run classes by the CAMS rules, sometimes simple but ill thought mods will end up in the sports sedan class where you end up being a bit of a joke compared to the serious guys.

first things:
a roll bar/cage (this may still optional in hillclimb, however...)
a decent fixed back seat
an extra return spring on the throttle
an extra hold down on the bonnet
an oil catch can
a fire extinguisher
new harness (and motorsport helmet, suit, gloves, boots etc)

then,
remove the rest of the interior (but not the door trims or dash)
rebuild the suspension with proper bushes and big swaybars and lower
adjustable shocks
and rebuild the brakes, (you absolutely do need these if there is any corner)
rebuild the cooling system
rebuild the electricals (removing any thing not needed) and fitting battery cutout, put the battery in the tray.
maybe put foam in the fuel tank (not sure if that is a requirement)
good tyres.

make sure it is reliable, and doesn't drop fluids, and you're off...

later,
lighten the flywheel
locate the rear axle
build in negative camber up front

then worry about the engine, and spending to make it faster look better etc.

try and get to the track, check out what is running, and talk to the guys doing it, find out what class the car would get into, depending on tyres etc.
Old 29-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
Djrystofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRO6
By the long list of mods that you have suggested, along with a long list of mods that you will need, a budget well in excess of 10K will see you through!!!!
Don't forget to factor in a few engine rebuilds if he's going to push it!
Djrystofer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
Lazy Peac*ck EB

Okay, whats a return spring? haha and what is the deal with the foam in the fuel tank?

Ma Project Car Now

Toy Car

Come at me Holden.
Old 29-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
max_torq
From the Futura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Peac*ck EB
Okay, whats a return spring? haha and what is the deal with the foam in the fuel tank?
race cars are required to have two independent springs that pull the throttle closed if the cable snaps, stops it going wide open as you come into a corner flat out.

And foam is this open cell blocks you get from the race equipment shops that goes in the tank, and stops it all pouring out if gets a hard hit or goes over on its roof, over the track, or in case of a fire.
Old 29-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #16
Lazy Peac*ck EB

Wow thats pretty cool. Okay is that stuff required to compete in say the Mt Gravatt Hill Climb?

Ma Project Car Now

Toy Car

Come at me Holden.
Old 29-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #17
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i'd have thought the xf ute unsuitable for a serious hill climb racer. too heavy in the front, too light in the rear for starters.
You may be supprised.

I went to the Esses Hillclimb at Mout Panorama last year & there was an XD ute, running in the group, type 3 over 3000cc.

In the results it says that it was running a 5800cc motor but looked fairly stock from the outside.

Here is a pic of it

For a bit of comparison it did a best time of 34.33

Some of the other cars that ran did:
65 mustang (5L) - 34.46
Lancer Evo (type 4, 2L turbo) - 31.22
XT Falcon (5L) - 38.39
Fiesta XR4 (type 1) - 33.77
VX Commodore SS (type 2, 5.7L) 30.90

Like other people have said, I would look at the class rules on the CAMS website & use it as a guide of the modifications that you can do.
Old 29-02-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when I ran my road car in the Hillclimb all I needed was:

A smalll Fire Extinguisher with a metal mounting bracket located within reach of the driver (around $20 from supercheap)

A few numbers & battery location triangles

A secondary form of bonnet latch (eg bonnet pins or strap)
Old 29-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #19
Lazy Peac*ck EB

Thats good...that throttle cable spring is a good idea regardless of whether its needed or not haha so what are the actual requirements for a hill climb?

Ma Project Car Now

Toy Car

Come at me Holden.
Old 29-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #20
Lazy Peac*ck EB

And are tramp bars worth it?

Ma Project Car Now

Toy Car

Come at me Holden.
Old 29-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #21
max_torq
From the Futura

there is usually a road registered class, where it only has to have the minimum, but has to be legal road registered. That means no race tyres, no locked diff and much more, otherwise it ends up in the club cars class, where you can do more, but have to have more safety equipment. And above that the sports sedan class where you have slicks and can modify the firewall and fit rose joints and big wings etc etc. Where do you want to run the car?
Old 01-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #22
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Wow thats pretty cool. Okay is that stuff required to compete in say the Mt Gravatt Hill Climb?
Mt Gravatt Hillclimb? Are you sure that exists?

There is the Mt Cotton Hillclimb which is awesome. I would recommend upgraded brakes for it as coming down the loops will require heavy braking. Without brakes, you'll end up in the nuts!

You'll need a CAMS license, third party extension, fire extinguisher and secondary bonnet catch.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:00 PM   #23
Lazy Peac*ck EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly
Mt Gravatt Hillclimb? Are you sure that exists?

There is the Mt Cotton Hillclimb which is awesome. I would recommend upgraded brakes for it as coming down the loops will require heavy braking. Without brakes, you'll end up in the nuts!

You'll need a CAMS license, third party extension, fire extinguisher and secondary bonnet catch.

Okay thats the one I meant haha I didnt mean mt gravatt. So how much do you reckon all that would set me back?

Ma Project Car Now

Toy Car

Come at me Holden.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #24
Lazy Peac*ck EB

And anyone know why they call it a crossflow? haha always wondered.

Ma Project Car Now

Toy Car

Come at me Holden.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #25
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Okay thats the one I meant haha I didnt mean mt gravatt. So how much do you reckon all that would set me back?

CAMS affiaited club will cost around $50 a year.

CAMS Licence costs around $108 for a year.

Fire extinguisher costs around $20

I made the secondary bonnet latch for less than $5 using some stainless steel cable, a couple of swages & a couple of D shackles.

Theres a few more pics of it here
http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/...onnet%20latch/
Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #26
HBWC

Quote:
And anyone know why they call it a crossflow? haha always wondered.
look at the motor and you should be able to tell the intake and exhaust are on opposite sides
HBWC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #27
Lazy Peac*ck EB

Figured that was normal.

Ma Project Car Now

Toy Car

Come at me Holden.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:36 PM   #28
Lazy Peac*ck EB

Quote:

I made the secondary bonnet latch for less than $5 using some stainless steel cable, a couple of swages & a couple of D shackles.

Theres a few more pics of it here
http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/...onnet%20latch/

That's awesome! Thanks man

Ma Project Car Now

Toy Car

Come at me Holden.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:14 AM   #29
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:

^^ As above. It's not a lot. And if the car is registered, make sure you get a third party extension. This is done through whoever your rego's CTP is with. If you change it to Suncorp, the extensions are free. RACQ charges $10 per day that you need the extension for.

You'll also need a helmet and ankle to wrist clothing.

The Mt Cotton hillclimb is awesome! I did it a few times in my mate's Subaru STi. The finish line is a bit hairy. You'll love
Old 02-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #30
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWC
look at the motor and you should be able to tell the intake and exhaust are on opposite sides
Quote:
Figured that was normal.
holden red engine (among others) has inlet and exhaust on the same side of the engine. same as the chrysler engines of the era.