Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Will Territory become Fords No1 local?

As the title says, will Territory become Fords No1 local car, taking over from Falcon, cause it seems like it's heading that way. Its seems likely the Territory will take over from Falcon in sales this year, it has strong order books where Falcon has none. Ford have increased Territory builds to near 1 to 1 with Falcon, but is it time Ford changed that and started building more Territorys than Falcon and started to concentrate more on the Territory than Falcon?

I've heard rumours they may be looking at LPi Territory again, not sure how true that is but I think anything that Ford can do to increase Territory sales can go some way to compensating for lower Falcon sales they are now achieving. It works out better in a way because Territory is Fords cash cow, it sells in much higher numbers to private buyers and most of the sales go to the more expensive TS and Titanium, and most are diesel, which with the high aussie dollar makes that $3250 diesel price premium more profitable now than what it was when released.

The SUV market is solid, it continues to grow, Ford can rely on sales staying at or rising above current levels due to the popularity of SUV's, something they can't rely on with large cars, which continue to fall. I think now is the time to make the switch.

I think adding a few extra models to the range would be a good step, I don't think they'd do an XR version but how about a Territory Sport. Mesh grilles like XR, maybe some small side skirts and a front bumper lip, lower firmer suspension and 19's as standard. XR style seats and instrument cluster. I6 or 3 litre diesel as an option, to keep costs down use the 180kw 500nm Land Rover version, it would go pretty well. Either RWD petrol or RWD/AWD for diesel. Might be expensive to engineer the 3 litre but I don't think the 2.7 cuts the mustard in a sports application. Maybe try to position it between TS and Titanium.

And maybe go above Titanium with a Titanium LTD, they looked at doing an LTD version back in 2004, to tap into the growing luxury SUV market. Fit some more chrome, maybe make the chrome grille bars solid chrome like Explorer, fit some quality Howe leather like they used to fit to LTD, maybe splash some more of it around the cabin to the handbrake lever, door trims etc, a branded upgraded audio, well above premium sound, powered tailgate and some other gadgets.

Thoughts?

Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 
Default Re: Will Territory become Fords No1 local?

If thats the case, it would not be that bad. Hopfully it will help the case for the falcon, aslong as the two share platforms.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

It would be great if they could do it and keep the same line rate, that way every Falcon not getting built is a higher profit Territory.

Something like a sport model might work, but it would be the same application as an NA XR6 Falcon so Ford might not actually be that opposed to using the XR nomenclature. I think they would need a taller wheel/tyre package though. The current 18's dont show it as bad, but the old 17" wheel package looked tiny. Kluger wears the same profile tyre on a 19 as Territory does now on an 18.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

LPi Territory would sell well. They just need around 120L usable to allow towing a decent distance in the outback. Towing a caravan with that would get you 600km. Non towing on the open road would get nearly 900km. Two 62L usable torroid tanks tucked underneath where the fuel tank is now would do it. Not sure what that would do to ground clearance as I haven't measured it. You could keep the spare wheel where it is and have 7 seats.

As for different variants, I'm going to say something that many would agree with. Bring back the Turbo I6 and have it available in AWD and 2WD, as well as the NA I6 in both arrangements. You could go back to SX to SYII front diff with the AWD petrol like it was always done. The diesel front diff is a bit iffy to me with a clutch or something on the transfer case. You don't need that sort of arrangement with the petrol anyway.

For the LTD version make it AWD and the SC Coyote 5L motor only. Would that sell? Absolutely.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Forget I6 Turbo or V8, they tried the turbo and it didn't work, they were guzzlers and sold in tiny numbers within a year of release. Not enough demand, not when petrols getting over $1.50 with it likely to get higher over time. A V8 would be cool but for the same reasons it won't work.

A V8 diesel would be better but wouldn't happen.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

They could do an XR6-style Terri, but I'd pass on using another type of engine (just adds more costs), make it more cosmetic than performance because at the end of the day its an SUV and they arent performance cars.

Also an LTD Terri. The upper-lux SUV segment is very lucrative.

Both of these shouldnt cost too much to do as the items needed are basically parts bin type stuff - there's no engineering or whatever that needs to be done.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

People who buy turbos and V8's don't care about fuel consumption. Those people do exist and at present will buy something like the 408kW Turbo V8 BMW X5. How many on this forum have Turbo Territory's? Heaps. All the other manufacturers make high HP SUV's. They're special and they carry high price tags, but people who buy them don't care about fuel consumption.

A fuel conscious Territory buyer would buy the 2.7 diesel or the 2WD petrol with LPi.

If the Turbo was using LPi the bad fuel economy thing goes out the window too.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #8
imugli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My money is on Focus and Ranger both selling in higher numbers than Falcon and Territory this year.
imugli is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #9
Cobalt Blue
Starter Motor

The "LTD Territory" might be a good opportunity to introduce the Lincoln name to Australia. Being at this high level, the SC 5.0l V8 would not be out of place. I see plenty of BMW X5 V8s around. Or perhaps the defunct 3.6l turbo diesel V8 that Range Rover had, although I have no idea of any contractual impediments there. You'd think under Mullaly's Ford that we would see Lincoln one day in Australia.
Cobalt Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a manual box would be good not everybody wants auto
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #11
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Forget I6 Turbo or V8, they tried the turbo and it didn't work, they were guzzlers and sold in tiny numbers within a year of release. Not enough demand, not when petrols getting over $1.50 with it likely to get higher over time. A V8 would be cool but for the same reasons it won't work.

A V8 diesel would be better but wouldn't happen.
Twin Turbo 3.0 V6 diesel used in Jaguar XF, it's top shelf caviar I'll admit but much more in keeping with Tezza's image
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
As the title says, will Territory become Fords No1 local car, taking over from Falcon, cause it seems like it's heading that way. Its seems likely the Territory will take over from Falcon in sales this year, it has strong order books where Falcon has none. Ford have increased Territory builds to near 1 to 1 with Falcon, but is it time Ford changed that and started building more Territorys than Falcon and started to concentrate more on the Territory than Falcon?

I've heard rumours they may be looking at LPi Territory again, not sure how true that is but I think anything that Ford can do to increase Territory sales can go some way to compensating for lower Falcon sales they are now achieving. It works out better in a way because Territory is Fords cash cow, it sells in much higher numbers to private buyers and most of the sales go to the more expensive TS and Titanium, and most are diesel, which with the high aussie dollar makes that $3250 diesel price premium more profitable now than what it was when released.

The SUV market is solid, it continues to grow, Ford can rely on sales staying at or rising above current levels due to the popularity of SUV's, something they can't rely on with large cars, which continue to fall. I think now is the time to make the switch.

I think adding a few extra models to the range would be a good step, I don't think they'd do an XR version but how about a Territory Sport. Mesh grilles like XR, maybe some small side skirts and a front bumper lip, lower firmer suspension and 19's as standard. XR style seats and instrument cluster. I6 or 3 litre diesel as an option, to keep costs down use the 180kw 500nm Land Rover version, it would go pretty well. Either RWD petrol or RWD/AWD for diesel. Might be expensive to engineer the 3 litre but I don't think the 2.7 cuts the mustard in a sports application. Maybe try to position it between TS and Titanium.

And maybe go above Titanium with a Titanium LTD, they looked at doing an LTD version back in 2004, to tap into the growing luxury SUV market. Fit some more chrome, maybe make the chrome grille bars solid chrome like Explorer, fit some quality Howe leather like they used to fit to LTD, maybe splash some more of it around the cabin to the handbrake lever, door trims etc, a branded upgraded audio, well above premium sound, powered tailgate and some other gadgets.

Thoughts?
I actually like all the ideas you have mentioned. Particularly of the LPi Territory (which they could if they used modular tanks - which the current supplier for the LPi Falcon can supply), plus an XR sports Territory. It doesn't have to be all out sports. Just add the stuff you mentioned.

Increasing the build rate of Territory to more than Falcon absolutely has merit. The average transaction price for Territory is well above that of the Falcon. If they need volume through the engine plant, then LPi Territory is also needed.

The 3L TDV6 won't fit in the engine bay IIRC. The best way to get a diesel 'sport / XR' version out of it, is to retain the 2.7 TDV6 and fit a better intercooler and raise the boost a bit. The aftermarket tuners can take it from 140kW/440Nm to 170kW/520Nm. If Ford got it somewhere about half way, ie 155kW/480Nm it would be nice jigger

Whilst they are at it, fit the 2.7 TDV6 to the Falcon Ute and Sedan.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc

The 3L TDV6 won't fit in the engine bay IIRC. The best way to get a diesel 'sport / XR' version out of it, is to retain the 2.7 TDV6 and fit a better intercooler and raise the boost a bit. The aftermarket tuners can take it from 140kW/440Nm to 170kW/520Nm. If Ford got it somewhere about half way, ie 155kW/480Nm it would be nice jigger
Previous model XF Jag used a twin turbo version of the 2.7 V6 diesel, since J/LR
have moved on to the 3.0, I wonder of the old 2.7 TT engine is available to FoA...
Old 01-03-2012, 10:55 PM   #14
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
They could do an XR6-style Terri, but I'd pass on using another type of engine (just adds more costs), make it more cosmetic than performance because at the end of the day its an SUV and they arent performance cars.

Also an LTD Terri. The upper-lux SUV segment is very lucrative.

Both of these shouldnt cost too much to do as the items needed are basically parts bin type stuff - there's no engineering or whatever that needs to be done.
Your whole post makes lots of sense to me.

Retrotech thread
Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 PM   #15
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 2.7 V6 Ecoboost is on the horizon, offering plenty of horsepower and torque,
how does 240 Kw and 480 nm sound with around 10 or 11 l/100 km?
It's the balance of power, torque and fuel economy that's important.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #16
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just one small problem, where are Ford going to get the money to do all this, and where is the business case for them doing so? It would mean they would need to sell a hell of a lot more Territory's to justify more models in the range.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #17
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Previous model XF Jag used a twin turbo version of the 2.7 V6 diesel, since J/LR
have moved on to the 3.0, I wonder of the old 2.7 TT engine is available to FoA...
Yes, well it has 152kW/435Nm in TT form. Apparently very good throttle response too. I still think a better intercooler might be the best way to go.

Retrotech thread
Old 01-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #18
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I went out with a mate in his new 2.7d TX today. smooth quiet impressive car.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:06 PM   #19
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic85
Just one small problem, where are Ford going to get the money to do all this, and where is the business case for them doing so? It would mean they would need to sell a hell of a lot more Territory's to justify more models in the range.
Territory was the NUMBER 1 selling SUV in Australia in 2011. That was even after a mid year launch and low sale runout.

It was regularly racking up 1400-1700 sales a month. Why not FEED the cash cow. Maybe Ford know they missed opportunities from the 2004 original model launch and want to INVEST in the brand by expanding it?!

Right now most sales are TS and Titanium TDi. Plenty of profit. Why not offer something in the middle of those with different appeal.

Retrotech thread
Old 01-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #20
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Higher transaction price of Territory coupled to improving sales means that it has a much better chance of funding increases over Falcon.

Most Falcons now sell at $36,990 drive away, Most territory sell above $43,000, that's the big difference.....
Old 01-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
People who buy turbos and V8's don't care about fuel consumption. Those people do exist and at present will buy something like the 408kW Turbo V8 BMW X5. How many on this forum have Turbo Territory's? Heaps. All the other manufacturers make high HP SUV's. They're special and they carry high price tags, but people who buy them don't care about fuel consumption.

A fuel conscious Territory buyer would buy the 2.7 diesel or the 2WD petrol with LPi.

If the Turbo was using LPi the bad fuel economy thing goes out the window too.
You can't compare someone who pays 60k for a Territory against someone who pays over 140k for a BMW, as the cheapest V8 X5 cost over that, the guy who pays 60k is less likely to not be bothered by fuel costs. Its a mute point anyway as most X5's are diesel now, very few are V8's. As I said earlier the Turbo Territory sold in double figures per month, it was that low, thats why the canned it. It was a dissapointment to Ford in terms of sales, it got nowhere near their sales projections for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenl5l
a manual box would be good not everybody wants auto
Forget it, it wouldn't even sell in double figures.

Quote:
Twin Turbo 3.0 V6 diesel used in Jaguar XF, it's top shelf caviar I'll admit but much more in keeping with Tezza's image
The top shelf version is 202kw and 600nm. It would be awesome in Territory, but we can only dream. Diesel definately serves a better purpose in an SUV.

Quote:
From memory the twin turbo 2.7 only made about 10kw and 10nm more than the single turbo version, doesn't work out to well on a cost Vs kw argument.

I wonder how long the 2.7 stays in production, hopefully not too long so Ford are forced to make the switch to the 3 litre.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #22
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

They absolutely should bring out a sporty Territory. Let it have the wilder XR colors and sport it up somewhat. Sporty wheels, bigger ones. Plenty of people love to bling up their SUVs.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 11:17 PM   #23
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
I wonder how long the 2.7 stays in production, hopefully not too long so Ford are forced to make the switch to the 3 litre.
Ford should tool up the Geelong plant to make the 2.7/3.0 (same engine family) and introduce it as a replacement for the I6.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodewd
They absolutely should bring out a sporty Territory. Let it have the wilder XR colors and sport it up somewhat. Sporty wheels, bigger ones. Plenty of people love to bling up their SUVs.
Thats one area Ford are lagging behind, the others are optioning up to 20 inch wheels, like CX9 for example. Even the Kluger has 19's FFS
Old 01-03-2012, 11:22 PM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
From memory the twin turbo 2.7 only made about 10kw and 10nm more than the single turbo version, doesn't work out to well on a cost Vs kw argument.

The 3.0 is the same block with enlarged capacity, better injectors and breething,
Land Rover already has a single turbo version.

What I was thinking was 2.7 TT with the 3.0's upgraded injectors and intercooler..
Old 01-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #26
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Titanium Limited is easy, just add side steps, sunroof, howe leather, Bose stereo, LED daytime lamps, woodgrain trim, chrome door handles. Sell for an extra 5 grand over Titanium and no extra engineering costs.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2012, 11:24 PM   #27
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Ford should tool up the Geelong plant to make the 2.7/3.0 (same engine family) and introduce it as a replacement for the I6.
Few problems with that, one being no capacity to do CGI in the casting plant, and the assembly line is setup for an inline engine. The whole thing would have to be ripped out and replaced to do a V engine. An inline 4 TD would be an easier choice.

And the fact that the current TDV6's are already built in the Ford plant in Dagenham, and then onsold to LR, Jaguar and Peugeot.

Would be a good idea though.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #28
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought the 2.7 had an alloy block....that's why it's only 440 lbs and one of the lightest V6 diesels readily available
Old 01-03-2012, 11:26 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Most of it could be done very cheaply if they kept carry over engines.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I thought the 2.7 had an alloy block....
Its CGI, compacted graphite iron, stronger than cast iron yet lighter, and cheaper than alloy.

One of the reasons why the 2.7 V6 is only 1kg heavier than I6. Diesels are usually way heavier than petrol engines.