Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 
Default Geelong region spring compressors

Hey everybody. I posted this in post classic, maybe the pub is the more appropriate place.
Does anyone know someone on the forums in the Geelong region that has a pair of spring compressors that I could borrow for a day or two? Just got some new shocks for my EF today and will be doing them in the next week or two. I'll pick them up and drop them back and will leave a deposit no problem. thanks.

AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
pcman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Geelong region spring compressors

there only about 35bux to buy at supercheap, i have a set here in werribee you can borrow tho but with fuel prices would be almost as cheap to buy your own
pcman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2012, 12:04 PM   #3
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Yeh saw them...supercrap, a bit better design ones about $55. And only use them once. Figured there must be plenty of people who bought them and will only use them once maybe twice. Geelong ........maybe just around the corner if I'm lucky. Might check out a friend's press, see if it's got enough clearance to fit the spring in there. How much longer is the spring with no tension, only extra 20mm or much more than that?

Last edited by AMB; 30-03-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 30-03-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I think using a press would be fraught with danger. When those springs are compressed the hold a lot of energy that soft human flesh won't stop.

Get the right tool, even if you're only going to use it once.
Old 30-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
I think using a press would be fraught with danger..............
In the wrong hands, yes. Don't worry I'll be careful
If it can't be set up just right then I won't do it.
Old 30-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #6
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Not a good time to be a tight ****.
Buy some spring compressors.
Old 30-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #7
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
Not a good time to be a tight ****.
Buy some spring compressors.
What and you think they use spring compressors in a workshop? That's for DIY. A press with the right bits is much safer and quicker.
Old 30-03-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a set here that you are able to use I just need to find them

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for your help everybody, and for your offer Jason.
Done it all this morning, only took a couple hours. I ended up using the weight of my front end loader to compress the spring. Didn't bother compressing the spring to dismantle, just let the spring go patwang, very carefully of course - rattle gun makes it very easy for undoing and redoing the shock rod bolt.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Glad you're still with us.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
stalker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

:/ wow, just wow.that would go against all training on a front end loader..

still dont get why you didnt just fork out the 30 odd bucks for some, it would have been far quicker and safer. ive used mine a few times, didnt think i would use them more then once either but for 30 odd $$ they paid for them selfs a few times over. only takes around an hour to swap fronts..
XF ute 4.0ltr injected out of an ed with girl cam and 5speed, and an xd front end for good measure
stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
Glad you're still with us.
lol. Yeh It might sound dangerous, but if you watched how i did it, you would know the risk was minimal.
The forks are on the loader, nice flat surface to push with, put the 3 flat nuts upside down on the top spring retainer, nice even surface again. Assemble the strut and sit the bottom of the shock body on nice fitting piece of wood, slowly lower the forks, keep checking every couple mm till everything is nicely lined up and square -no chance of anything slipping out. Carefully compress the spring about 30-40 mm I guess it was, get the top nut on well with plenty of thread, release the load, then use the rattle gun to do up the centre rod nut fully, took about 10 minutes to disassemble and reassemble the strut.

Last edited by AMB; 02-04-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fix it like youre on the farm.. lols...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in a pinch you could have compressed the suspension with the jack then used tie wire around the coils(cost about $5.00) it`s a bit tedious, but a bit safer than letting the spring go, anyway you got it done with your skin intact that`s the main thing.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
in a pinch you could have compressed the suspension with the jack then used tie wire around the coils(cost about $5.00) it`s a bit tedious, but a bit safer than letting the spring go, anyway you got it done with your skin intact that`s the main thing.
But you need the clearance, at least 2 ft maybe 600-700 mm, then you need extra clearance for the length of the jack. I have used the jack like that to press bearings in before, again using the weight of the loader set at what ever height you want. Tie wire would be pretty dodgy, and you'd have to compress the spring alot more to take up all the slack in the tie wire.
Letting the spring go was easy with a rattle gun, you do it with strut laying flat on the ground of course, gloves on just in case. But the spring stayed put, it was the shock that sprung out in the opposite direction.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to each his own , i have used the tie wire method many times over the years, and it can be done safely, but it is tedious, i`d rather use quality spring compressors though , but hey what ever works.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post