Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Default Streetable - How much power is enough?

I am currently asking myself how much power is enough for a street driven car? By street driven, I mean a car that will see the 1/4 mile maybe once or twice a year. Lets say the car is fullsize, weighs ~1800-1900KG has a manual transmission and is from the late 60s/early 70s. Ignoring ratios and driveline strength. MPG is not an issue. Basically if I wanted enough power to keep up with XR6Ts and SS Commies in a straight line and be a nice cruiser, how much power am I looking at? If I wanted to win the traffic light grand prix I will not be stalling the car up or running road legal drag radials everywhere and would like to fry the tyres with ease? The power will be delivered by a big block so there will be plenty of torque down low. I have never been in a performance car, so I don't even know what sort of power level I would be satisfied with which is making it quite hard. Maybe I should take a ride in something with a bit of balls? I am not after being the fastest car around town, otherwise I'd need to buy something half the weight and size.

The decision I make will result in either an engine rebuild or swap. From the top of my head, would 400 be enough? Or am I looking more towards 500+? All the stuff I can find online is generally from the states regarding modern Mustangs or Camaros, which handle and deliver power much differently to an older car.

Cheers.

Last edited by 350125GO; 09-04-2012 at 12:04 AM.
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 11:45 PM   #2
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Streetable - How much power is enough?

What car u got?
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #3
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

/me just shakes head. keeping up with XR6T's & SS Commies. Winning the traffic light gran prix, & frying the tyres with ease???
Seriously - If this is your aim, & you admit to having never been in a performance car, then I would be hoping that you(and those you hold near & dear) live long enough for you to be able to answer this question yourself.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Depends on what car not many old cars weighed that much unless your talkin tank fairlanes caddys etc etc
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for a turbo, there is not really such thing as unstreetable. and im sure the same applies for V8's also. ive spent plenty of time in my turbo at 330rwkw's and find it very street friendly. also spent a bit of time in a mates fg turbo at 450rwkw's and again very streetable. however if he puts the boot in all i can say is you hold on tight. although i think the 450rwkw's is almost getting to the point of being unstreetable as to go much further means a bigger turbo which means yes more lag but when it comes on you never really know what will happen if it doesnt grip
Old 09-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy XR6 Turbo
What car u got?
Quote:
Originally Posted by XP6
Depends on what car not many old cars weighed that much unless your talkin tank fairlanes caddys etc etc
67 Galaxie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
/me just shakes head. keeping up with XR6T's & SS Commies. Winning the traffic light gran prix, & frying the tyres with ease???
Seriously - If this is your aim, & you admit to having never been in a performance car, then I would be hoping that you(and those you hold near & dear) live long enough for you to be able to answer this question yourself.
Yes, I would like to keep up with modern performance, not sure what is wrong with that? I chucked in traffic light grand prix - badly after reading I admit - to try to make aware that i dont want to stall it up or run drag radials everywhere. I do not race on the street. In fact I will go edit my post now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
for a turbo, there is not really such thing as unstreetable. and im sure the same applies for V8's also. ive spent plenty of time in my turbo at 330rwkw's and find it very street friendly. also spent a bit of time in a mates fg turbo at 450rwkw's and again very streetable. however if he puts the boot in all i can say is you hold on tight. although i think the 450rwkw's is almost getting to the point of being unstreetable as to go much further means a bigger turbo which means yes more lag but when it comes on you never really know what will happen if it doesnt grip
Yeah, looking at N/A. I have read that turbo's tend to deliver the power much nicer when compared to something N/A, but I'd imagine that more displacement = better delivery of power? IE not revving the guts out of it everywhere.
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
Chopped
as in chopped

My mate had a HQ Monaro with a 454 and about 500hp (2spd).

Considering it would step sideways at 100kph with a heavy foot and considering it's your first powerful (old) car...maybe aim for less than 500hp.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #8
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honestly, it is undefinable. Some people are more than happy with 80hp, whilst others are unhappy with 800hp. There is no hard and fast answer.
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It bepends what you want from your Galaxy but if you have your heart set on a big block,
then how about a nice Liquid injection LPG set up and appropriate compression and timing.

IMO, that will give you plenty of grunt without costing a packet and keep the enviro nazis off your tail.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you want a big block in a heavy as galaxie , thatll keep up to XR6Ts and SSs, and you dont care for MPG ???
(Or should that be Gallons per Mile ???)
I wouldnt put all those in the one basket,or car for that matter
Build it to enjoy it
Wether you get beat or not, 1 thing the new breed doesnt have on the old is cool factor

Theres some XR6Ts doin mid 11s out there, thats one serious angry big block galaxie right there
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lols.. im with the OP only target we have with my current Clevo build is....... must be capable of belting late model plastic crap at traffic lights....

its funny as hell belting new stuff with an old bomb... 500hp 500+ftlbs OP....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #12
madmatty
dipstick

i reckon anything above 400hp will be fast enough for what you describe.there is always a faster car out there somewhere ,so just be happy to have a nice car with a bit of grunt. my ba xr8 has around 245rwkw and plenty fast enough for the street and my mum can still drive it to the shops if needs be.burn outs are fun but if you struggle for traction ie 350rwkw plus its hard to drive without wheelspin.i prefer to put my foot down and grip and go not snap sideways.if you overpower your cars chassis and tires it will be hard to get the best from it.just my opinon.
madmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #13
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe where you develop the power is as important as how much for a streeter. i.e. How often are you going to see 6000rpm on the street. I'd guess my XB would be pushing out a very streetable 350hp at the crank with bigger valves, carb, manifold, electronic ignition, exhaust, roller rockers, and a mild cam. Plenty of power and torque down low where it counts on the street.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Enough power is when you are scared to use 100% throttle in the dry with R compound tires.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #15
05_ENFORCER

514/521ci 460 based big block with around 575/625HP...............OLD SKOOL

Old 09-04-2012, 02:04 PM   #16
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350125GO
I am currently asking myself how much power is enough for a street driven car? By street driven, I mean a car that will see the 1/4 mile maybe once or twice a year. Lets say the car is fullsize, weighs ~1800-1900KG has a manual transmission and is from the late 60s/early 70s. Ignoring ratios and driveline strength. MPG is not an issue. Basically if I wanted enough power to keep up with XR6Ts and SS Commies in a straight line and be a nice cruiser, how much power am I looking at? If I wanted to win the traffic light grand prix I will not be stalling the car up or running road legal drag radials everywhere and would like to fry the tyres with ease? The power will be delivered by a big block so there will be plenty of torque down low. I have never been in a performance car, so I don't even know what sort of power level I would be satisfied with which is making it quite hard. Maybe I should take a ride in something with a bit of balls? I am not after being the fastest car around town, otherwise I'd need to buy something half the weight and size.

The decision I make will result in either an engine rebuild or swap. From the top of my head, would 400 be enough? Or am I looking more towards 500+? All the stuff I can find online is generally from the states regarding modern Mustangs or Camaros, which handle and deliver power much differently to an older car.

Cheers.
200hp per tonne and loads of torque is about all most can handle , anything more can have traction problems and cost lots to maintain
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
GlenW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like this might be the go:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6007-521FT/
GlenW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
GT 160
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only thing that should sit between the towers of a Gal is an FE with a horn set of 2x4's !!

So in saying that a nice 427, 445, 482 will put you well into the 500hp+ range and make a very nice streeter.

Downside is, you'll need deep pockets !
GT 160 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenW
Sounds like this might be the go:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-6007-521FT/

hmmmmmm.......... that would be nice.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #20
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Depends on chassis and suspension design also..
The old cart semi elliptic spring has troubles on it's own..
Some mods such as radius rod, maybe panhard rod also ??
Unsprung weight is best as light as possible..
The big power engines are generally 2 or 3 speed auto's..
If you aim for around 4 to 500 h.p a modern 4 or 6 speed auto
or manual with clutch up grade with take the power with some mechanical sympathy..
With out saying what the actual car is it;s hard to work out..
Some latter model IRS suspensions have been fitted to early cars
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 05:48 PM   #21
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

I have had a change of heart over this topic, for me its about power to weight. And I rather shed weight if possible before adding power. As shaving weight improves all dynamics of a car but just increasing engine power only improves straight line acceleration/speed. And any monkey can just push the go pedal to the floor
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
RAPID_BA
Banned

I would build a car that is a hot performer irrespective if it belts xr6t or ss. Something you like to drive.

I used to own a xr6t with 322rwkw and also had a tough el fairmont 5.0 with less than half the power. I enjoyed driving it as much as the xr6t even though the xr6t would belt it.

Im now driving a 400rwkw 5.4 v8 that is very streetable. Still have a windsor 5.0 with a third of the power still like driving it.

Point is, build something you enjoy to drive not worry about belting xr6t or ss
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #23
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3
I have had a change of heart over this topic, for me its about power to weight. And I rather shed weight if possible before adding power. As shaving weight improves all dynamics of a car but just increasing engine power only improves straight line acceleration/speed. And any monkey can just push the go pedal to the floor
what do you recommend.. ripping out the seats and sitting on milk crates....

it takes more than a monkey to pedal something with a bit of grunt......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #24
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is impossible to answer. A turbo auto xr6t with 300rwkw is plenty in my books, and struggles with traction as it is. But then Tex will say 440rwkw in a manual is enough. Put the two side-by side and the xr6t is just as quick on the street due to traction. Both cars weight about the amount you are indicating.
So the power is difficult to answer.
Then the traction comes into play. Will you be runnng mini tubs with 300-wide tyres? What sort of tyres?
And then what transmission? Manual or auto?
It all counts.
So I would suggest you actually drive a car with some decent power before aiming high, otherwise you will kill yourself and some innocent bystander. Leave the racing for the track. And enjoy your car in isolation, not compared to some ss or xr6t.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #25
RAPID_BA
Banned

Before adding any power, make sure your mature enough to handle it.

If I went back 10 years id wrap my current car into a pole. Today your lucky to see the wheels break traction despite having 5 times the power. Luckily back then i had an xf falcon 6 which gave me plenty of time to see whats ahead.
RAPID_BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

The original post may have been badly worded, but at least the topic starter is trying to do the right thing and gather some information from people who have had experiance with powerful cars.

We all have to start somewhere...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #27
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350125GO
67 Galaxie.
Yes, I would like to keep up with modern performance.
hows about ol scool car with new performance
shoe horn a coyote 335 motor n box in or even a modular boss motor n box
and as others are saying do need to know other factors eg a car with an auto at xxx amount of rear wheel horse power will need a motor with more horse power than a manual with the same rear wheel horses

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!

Last edited by wodahs; 09-04-2012 at 07:59 PM.
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post