Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 
Default Late Model 4x4 Truck Durability

Working over the holidays at workshop and the garage does work and servicing for many major fleet less vehicles around.

I'm absolutely astounded at the faults some of these new trucks have.

Hilux with its "diesel bug issue" and dirty fuel filters every 7500km that are stuffed and full of metal fillings.

Nissan ST-X Seem to have horrible sump bungs, which at first was thought to be over tightning but the aluminum sump is crap and strips threads so tap out for better thread. vehicles of around 150000km that are serviced every 7500km. Nissan in the other day that blew diff.

The only one that we haven't had in allot are rangers so cant comment on those. But judging on the old mans wildtrak and the hard km on AA recovery etc it does very well.

Can't Comment on holdens offering as no one has brought any in what so ever.

As for ease of changing CV boots etc hilux is easiest due to wear the torsion bars are mounted with everything else taking a little more time. The hilux is definitely the quickest to service.

So what other problems have people had with their late model 4x4 Utes. judging by durability and what we have seen in work the strongest would be ranger?

99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
stevz
Banned

Default Re: Late Model 4x4 Truck Durability

I don't know what it is with the Hilux diesels, but I have seen several near new (ie. 6-12 month old) examples blowing abnormal amounts of smoke, chugging and rattling loudly as if they were about to blow up. They didn't sound very heathly at all, thats for sure.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Common fault in late model Tritons 3rd gear synchro goes to hell in the manuals. Warranty, but annoying, and may well have been fixed in later vehicles. Otherwise mechanically pretty damn solid.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PK Rangers were doing 5th gears early on.
You do get ones that are pretty heavy on juice too.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
I don't know what it is with the Hilux diesels, but I have seen several near new (ie. 6-12 month old) examples blowing abnormal amounts of smoke, chugging and rattling loudly as if they were about to blow up. They didn't sound very heathly at all, thats for sure.
Hilux Fuel system is really bad.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:11 AM   #6
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

we had a `07 or `08 ? hilux at work . the engine in that thing rattled from about 1000km. sounded like all the rocker gear was going to fall out of it. toyota said that was normal . the rear diff bearings collasped at 90 odd thousand km. the clutch had already been replaced .

the hilux was replaced with a ranger and its got about 100 000km now with no big problems. and its nicer to drive as well even though the hilux seemed to have more power. the ranger only has a small fuel tank so we in storm season we carry a jerry can of fuel incase. the hilux had a huge after market tank.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #7
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Im pretty happy with our Ranger although like all cars now the issues are more so down to quality control. Companies now are only interested in the bottom line so everything is made cheaply.
Theres no major problems with the Ranger but things to look out for are, rust on the spot welds in the upper window channels. 99% of PJ & PKs have it as the robots just havnt squirted enough paint up there.
The front and rear diffs do the job but are cheap. The rear LSD looses tension and acts like a open diff. The front is just small with no chance of lockers to help.
The crankcase breather like all turbos throws oil vapour into the intake piping. But the Ranger also uses Exhaust recirculating to lower the combustion temps with throws carbon into the intake as well. Mixed with the oil that makes black sludge that needs to be kept on top of.
Some guys have had dramas with the dual mass flywheel and 5th gear but its not to common.

Ours goes hard and to a lot of places on the stock suspension and a set of ATs, although we will lift it and put some bigger tyres on eventually.

- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #8
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

SWMBO has had a Hilux 4x4 Extra Cab T/D (current model) for 10 months now and it hasn't missed a beat, runs like a dream.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hiluxs have really strong front ends.. do 100+ then just before you hit a big pothole.. slam in the brakes...... BANG!!!!.. they love it......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR
Hilux Fuel system is really bad.
I was chatting with Al from Terrain Tamer and he was telling me the exact same thing, but not only just with the HiLux. Its also to do with the injectors and i cant remember exactly but they are something like 10 microns wide (very small) so the filter must be good. Thing is the filter blocks up because it filters to much, so what Terrain Tamer offer is like a pre filter that they install to catch all the big bits, and he says it works a treat.

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
madwag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #11
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwag
I was chatting with Al from Terrain Tamer and he was telling me the exact same thing, but not only just with the HiLux. Its also to do with the injectors and i cant remember exactly but they are something like 10 microns wide (very small) so the filter must be good. Thing is the filter blocks up because it filters to much, so what Terrain Tamer offer is like a pre filter that they install to catch all the big bits, and he says it works a treat.
Correct we offer a secondary filter now that bolts to the side of the engine bay that catches stuff before OEM filter except the problem is caused, like south Canterbury Toyota haven finally admitted (after we have had 20+ vehicles in with the problem) they have a diesel bug in the plastic fuel cell and it can cause really extensive damage , the following link is from a 3 news article. http://http://www.3news.co.nz/Contam...6/Default.aspx.

So now whenever a hilux comes in for service it gets brand new fuel filter regardless. As we are not dealing with people who would try and say it was our issue.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #12
99AUXR
Brad

Anyone had trouble with new rangers they look pretty tough.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #13
something wrong
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have 10 Hiluxs here at work 4 petrol and 6 diesel, No issues with any of them, the oldest is a 2007 and the newest was delivered last week. They all have over 80,000km and besides servicing at regular intervals their has been no extra cost looking at our fleet records.

We used to have 11 Hilux but one go stolen and stripped the parts sent to WA. The cops only found the Block and part of the chassis at a workshop in Western Sydney. It looks like a couple of family members had a rebirth racket going, 2 in Sydney and the other 2 in WA.
something wrong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #14
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Late last year, new toyota Hilux (work ute) with less then 1800km on the clock.... brakes failed!

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
99AUXR
Brad

allot of this is poor design I definitely agree the older hiluxs were the strongest 4wd built maybe not the best though
Old 03-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AUXR
allot of this is poor design I definitely agree the older hiluxs were the strongest 4wd built maybe not the best though
Leaving out the electronics for a sec, what about the "Granddaddy" of 4WD's, the Landrover Series 1/2/3/Defender?

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
99AUXR
Brad

Okay I'm 18 so dont pre-date that much (dont take offence) but yes you are right. However allot of the pommy stuff come through work they can't design seals that seal properly i.e leaking sumps etc. Thinks is holder stuff aswell.

One of our mechanics had replaced land rover camshafts at 20,000km

EDIT: just google series 1 defender lol, We had 3 of these in work. They have HORRIBLE BRAKES that barely work. One guys just spent well over 2k trying to get the thing to work again. And the other had a commodore I6 engine in it.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #18
SteveJH

Oi! I'm only 24!

When I say Series 1....I don't mean the Series 1 Defender.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Series

Aluminium body...so no rust....

Current:
Old 03-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
Oi! I'm only 24!

When I say Series 1....I don't mean the Series 1 Defender.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Rover_Series

Aluminium body...so no rust....
lol I was taking the **** with the age a little mate as the car is pretty old vehicle.

Yea I do like that.... Project idea streams to mind
Old 03-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #20
SteveJH

I've been wondering what you could fit in the engine bay....

If you stuck with diesel....the current Ford/LR-Jaguar V8TD would go nicely assuming it would fit......

Current:
Old 03-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #21
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I'm sure i've posted on here a number of times of how my 2008 work triton has been back for a recall once and warranty three times, including a respray of all four door frames.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #22
99AUXR
Brad

respray for rust?
Old 03-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #23
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

yep!!