Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
medz84
Starter Motor

Default dealer warranty/service

ok so i brought my ba xr6 turbo through a toyota dealership, been happy with the car so far (owned for a couple of months now)

the dealer has gave me 3 years warranty (which reading their terms it seems very limited) but after purchasing the car i sent it back due to heater not working which was luckily covered by warranty

my question is as my car is a sunday drive and not driven much is it worth sending it in for services etc??

its a fixed price service of 220 but im worried there not going to use decent products/oil for the service, also i service every 5 thou ks where they dont

my other concern is when my heater went in to be repaired my fuel usage went to average 39l per 100k which is huge considering i dont think it needed to leave the yard for a heater fix where i avg around 13-14 around town

im debating sending it in for the first service, considering just scrapping there service plan and service myself every 5 thou (or 6 months) with decent products,

whats peoples thoughts on dealerships and services/warranty is it really worth it??

im just so paticular with my vehicles!!

medz84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: dealer warranty/service

I dunno about 2nd hand car services, but they certainly seem to use decent products on mine. I wouldn;t worry about that too much. However, if you do the services yourself, won't the 3 year warranty be voided??

Also, I have noticed after getting the car back from Ford, the fuel consumption is thru the roof. I think they reset it then go for a quick thrash to make sure all is well and that's why it was so high.. it should drop

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I would service it with them just to maintain the warranty. If they use the log book then they need to use the correct parts / fluids etc.

Is this every 12 months / 10,000km?

As for the average, would leaving the car to idle do that?

If you let them service it every 10k and you do it again every 5k I think your car is in good hands already.

220 isn't too bad, the basic service on a Falcon with Ford is around the 250 mark, a least for a NA motor that is, don't know about turbo engines.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Leaving the car idle for a long time will bump average up considerably.

To be covered by these warranties ... you need to get the vehicle serviced with them ... and on-time ... otherwise they will find anyway possible to void your warranty.

Most of the time those warranties aren't worth the paper they are written on either. Be wary of fine-print.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
medz84
Starter Motor

i think if it was a ford dealership id be happy but being that its a toyota dealership it worries me slightly also i dont want my car being thrashed unless its myself doing it!! and im pretty sure it is 12 month/10000ks
medz84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by medz84
i think if it was a ford dealership id be happy but being that its a toyota dealership it worries me slightly also i dont want my car being thrashed unless its myself doing it!! and im pretty sure it is 12 month/10000ks
12m / 10K is ok. They generally hide in the fine print that it's every 6m / 10k (meaning you need to do it twice a year when the industry average for this type of car is yearly)...

They did that with the Focus, fine print states that I need an interim oil change mid service interval... So I use the one linked to my loyalty program and it's free, or pay a whole $29.

If you are worried about getting it thrashed, book it in at a precise time and wait for the work to be done. Should not take more than 90 min. The Toyota dealership my brother used had a viewing window into the workshop from the waiting room, telly, news paper / mags, tea and coffee and a comfy couch. Specify that you don't wan't it 'test driven' unless you are in it, if at all.

Cheers,

Jason

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #7
jamesson1980
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry, I should have worded that better. They dont's THRASH it as such, it's called a road test, and they drive it moderately hard to check performance, listen for noises etc.

2009 FG XR6, Ego Paint, Darkest possible tint, Sunroof, Black Vic number plates. No performance mods. Born To Be Mild
jamesson1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

if you are worried about the products they use, then supply your own.

economy will be due to idling for extended periods.

as mentioned, be wary of dealer warranties. often they get their money from the servicing and request you service it way more regularly than the manufacturer states. pretty sure ba is 12mnths/15000km. if you use a semi or full synthetic, that interval won't be a problem.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Idle time is taken into consideration in calculating L/100.
Idling and no kms increases the l/100k. Simple when you think about it.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: dealer warranty/service

Hi You are lucky you only have to get a service every year
about 4 years back I bought an XH ute
and it came with a three year warranty
the deal was I had to get it serviced every 3 months or 5000
whichever came first
also the exclusions like was said hardly worth the paper its written on
anyway long story short had it seven months
was serviced twice at $140 a go
then sold it with the remaining two and a half years warranty
$140 for twenty bucks worth of oil and filter not happy Jan
now I change my own oil and probably check out the car
a bit more carefully than the local servo did
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #11
XR_6falcon

The econmany could be the battery was disconnected there for reseting the figure then the car was given a quick drive and extended idling to check heater operation causing the reading to be really high?

Smoke tyres, not drugs
XR_6falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2012, 11:37 PM   #12
jixel 78

All this talk of cars being belted whilst in for a service is just rubbish. My licence isnt for wasting on a big squirt in someone elses liability on wheels.
jixel 78 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
ok so i brought my ba xr6 turbo through a toyota dealership, been happy with the car so far (owned for a couple of months now)

the dealer has gave me 3 years warranty (which reading their terms it seems very limited) but after purchasing the car i sent it back due to heater not working which was luckily covered by warranty
If it's a 3 year warranty on a second hand car the warranty could be supplied by a third party.

Have a look in the fine print to see who actually with.