Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Dilzzyy
XR6T Member

Smile Buying interstate.

Hey guys, just want some advice on purchasing a car interstate. The car in question is Bf XR6 with the zf 6 spd auto. Just want to know anyones experience if they have done the same thing. Reason for me looking at this car is because it is advertised at a very good price which looks too good to pass.
All thoughts welcome .
Thanks

Car is located in Qld and im in Vic.

FG XR6T 50TH ANNIVERSARY SOLD
Dilzzyy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Default Re: Buying interstate.

Normally if it's too good to be true - it probably is (not true).

Get a 2nd opinion, buying cars interstae isn't hard.

I've done it myself a couple of times, with the help of outside companies. Makes things way safer, the less risk the better.

http://www.vipautomotivesolutions.com.aucomes to mind, they do handovers of payment on your behalf interstate, and can probably inspect it for you if you're not keen on going up to have a look.
Old 15-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would get it inspected before you make the deal, if its a good price it could be for a reason

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Dilzzyy
XR6T Member

Yeah.. I was thinking of getting one of those pre purchase checks done on it first. If all comes up good then flying up paying him in person and driving the car back down. Only thing i find strange is that it has ba xr6 17s on instead of the bf wheels. Does anyone have a rough idea on how much it would cost to transport it back to vic, im trying to figure out if it would be cheaper to drive it down or get it transported.

Old 15-05-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yea that would be what I would sugest

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #6
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the report comes up OK then pay a small $100 holding dep and tell him you will fly up and pay the rest on proviso the car is as inspected. Good luck.
Old 16-05-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the report comes up OK then pay a small $100 holding dep and tell him you will fly up and pay the rest on proviso the car is as inspected. Good luck. Every state has different re registration requirements but i believe NSW has the toughest. Check with VICroads. Should be on their website.
Old 16-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just remember, when you get the car registered, you will have to get a RWC. It is the same as buying a car unregistered.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSERIES
Yeah.. I was thinking of getting one of those pre purchase checks done on it first. If all comes up good then flying up paying him in person and driving the car back down. Only thing i find strange is that it has ba xr6 17s on instead of the bf wheels. Does anyone have a rough idea on how much it would cost to transport it back to vic, im trying to figure out if it would be cheaper to drive it down or get it transported.
It might be an ex cop car if it has the 17s.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #10
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

My tip:
Get the VIN of the car - and run it thru the www.ppsr.gov.au website (it costs you about $4.00)
They also use NEVDIS (which isn't always spot on, but should tell you if the car has been written off and repaired).
And then ask LOTS of questions about the car, and if anything is inconsistant, maybe it's not the car for you.
Old 20-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #11
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only time you should be looking “interstate” is when the car is rare, you live it the sticks anyway, or when cars are significantly cheaper across the board.
For a BF XR6, I wouldn’t bother. If it is such a great deal, it will sell locally, that it hasn’t means its probably not as good as it sounds.
Crazy Dazz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
Only time you should be looking “interstate” is when the car is rare, you live it the sticks anyway, or when cars are significantly cheaper across the board.
For a BF XR6, I wouldn’t bother. If it is such a great deal, it will sell locally, that it hasn’t means its probably not as good as it sounds.
don't agree. where the car is 'local' it may not be a great deal, but compared to where the buyer is, it may be.

s.a. is a perfect case in point. cars are dear here. i've bought interstate many times. at the moment, the cheapest fg xr6 on carsales is $15500 (it actually sounds like a great buy, only 46000km) in qld. other eastern states are around the same. cheapest in s.a is $18500 with more km. if your budget is only around $17k, you either get a bf2 locally, or shop interstate and get the next model for the same price. i normally fly over and drive home (have bought from bris, syd and melb) but depending on the car, transport costs can be ok.

its all about supply and demand.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
don't agree. where the car is 'local' it may not be a great deal, but compared to where the buyer is, it may be.

s.a. is a perfect case in point. cars are dear here. i've bought interstate many times. at the moment, the cheapest fg xr6 on carsales is $15500 (it actually sounds like a great buy, only 46000km) in qld. other eastern states are around the same. cheapest in s.a is $18500 with more km. if your budget is only around $17k, you either get a bf2 locally, or shop interstate and get the next model for the same price. i normally fly over and drive home (have bought from bris, syd and melb) but depending on the car, transport costs can be ok.

its all about supply and demand.
You're right, they are good prices.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
Hayden1

If your buying a $50 grand car then a couple of hundred to fly up and drive back is nothing. I would buy interstate but I guess if you wait long enough, a similar car will eventually pop up near you. Plus what happens if you fly up to go to have a drive of the car and you don't like it? Thats a couple of hundred dollars , and a whole day, wasted.

By the way, I've seen heaps of FG's listed on Pickles for not much over $10k.
Hayden1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see the point for a car that is so common.

Print off the add and take it with you when shopping locally

Tell sellers if you can't get one for this price you will go interstate and get it. With so many sellers one of them will decide they are happy to move the car here and now at a lower price (just look at how cheap people give their cars away for via a trade in, to save themselves the hassle)

Don't ever make up problems with the cars you look at to justify the price drop, as you will upset people (and it's a jerky thing to do) just tell them you have "X" to spend, would they like to sell at that. People generally never get upset at a genuine offer.

Be prepared to have a few knock backs, but I if you keep asking you will get what you want.
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
I don't see the point for a car that is so common.

Print off the add and take it with you when shopping locally

Tell sellers if you can't get one for this price you will go interstate and get it. With so many sellers one of them will decide they are happy to move the car here and now at a lower price (just look at how cheap people give their cars away for via a trade in, to save themselves the hassle)

Don't ever make up problems with the cars you look at to justify the price drop, as you will upset people (and it's a jerky thing to do) just tell them you have "X" to spend, would they like to sell at that. People generally never get upset at a genuine offer.

Be prepared to have a few knock backs, but I if you keep asking you will get what you want.

won't happen. if i'm selling my car at a price that the south australian market dictates, and someone says they can get one interstate cheaper, i'll tell them to go and buy the one interstate. you think i'm going to drop 3k off the price just because there is one in another state that is cheaper?

of course it depends on the car and the pricing. i'm basing my argument on current FG pricing in s.a. compared to east coast.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #17
Dilzzyy
XR6T Member

Thanks all for the advice, ive been on the hunt for decent car for the past 2 months, nothing locally has come up that i have liked. ive tried bargaining with a lot of people in vic but they are all pretty determined to get close to there asking price, thats why i thought to look interstate.How much are fg xr6s going for now these days ? Are auctions a good place to look at used xr6s?

Old 20-05-2012, 04:54 PM   #18
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden1

By the way, I've seen heaps of FG's listed on Pickles for not much over $10k.
really? Dont think he was looking for a high km XT

http://www.pickles.com.au/cars/fixed...By=DESCRIPTION
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 05:27 PM   #19
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
won't happen. if i'm selling my car at a price that the south australian market dictates, and someone says they can get one interstate cheaper, i'll tell them to go and buy the one interstate. you think i'm going to drop 3k off the price just because there is one in another state that is cheaper?

of course it depends on the car and the pricing. i'm basing my argument on current FG pricing in s.a. compared to east coast.
And that's absolutely fine.

I would just thank you for your time and then move onto one of the other 120 bf xr6's that are currently listed on carsales in VIC

One of them will appreciate a no nonsense, quick sale albeit at 20%ish below market value

People routinely give up more to avoid hassles (trading in is one example)
Old 20-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #20
Hayden1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU Mont
really? Dont think he was looking for a high km XT
Sorry, I was referring to prydey's post but just re-read it and realised he said FG XR6, not just FG, my bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
People routinely give up more to avoid hassles (trading in is one example)
Time is money
Hayden1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #21
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden1
Sorry, I was referring to prydey's post but just re-read it and realised he said FG XR6, not just FG, my bad
not to worry, you had my hopes up for a second lol
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #22
Dilzzyy
XR6T Member

Would offering $1500 under the asking price be considered low balling? Ive just found something close to my budget locally but not sure if the owner will be offended with this type of offer.

Old 21-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #23
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSERIES
Would offering $1500 under the asking price be considered low balling? Ive just found something close to my budget locally but not sure if the owner will be offended with this type of offer.
Mate, think about it the other way.

If you want to buy at $1500 less than what someone is asking is it fair to not even offer them the opportunity to do business with you?

You may save their mariage, their house, or just the hassle of a continuous stream of tyre kickers, who need to sell their car first, get finance, get insurance, ask mum, whatever.

As long as you are genuine with your offer, then if people take offence then they are the one at fault.

If someone says firm, or no offers etc, then I respect that, but otherwise as long as you're not pulling the p155 then I say go for it.

If you don't ask, the answer is always no.

Good luck