Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
rvsm
Banned

Default should i buy a hr

not being really one for having a hatred for the holdens im contemplating a hr holden. I do like the shape and styling and would make a good cruiser but are they a rare car? yes i do know im on a ford forum. having had to change my direction of having a classic car my xb coupe is at the panel beaters undergoing a full resto. so id like something to be seen in til its done. any one driven one?

rvsm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 
Default Re: should i buy a hr

Years ago I drove one...but was so into my Fords, I think the whole driving any other make mentality didn't allow me to really enjoy it.

They are a great looking car...You can't deny it. Personally I like them. Don't care about the badge..If I like something..I like it.

As is the case with any older style car, they are getting rarer and rarer.

If you want old school cool...buy it!! Enjoy it! and most importantly...drive it for you..because you like it....not for anyone else to like it.

Cheers
Col
Old 16-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
SLO247
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go for it! Who cares what the haters say.

Theres a lot of Holdens I'd love to have in my garage. I have a weird thing for VR/VS HSV's...
SLO247 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
rvsm
Banned

im a fan of cars so i think ill do it.
Old 16-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
jackson105

U have to go for it mate, they are a rarity over here, aint seen one for years

2006 Ford ZC Escape XLT

2009 FPV GS Build # 105 in Ego
jackson105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #6
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go for it

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
minheim

My first car in 1978 was a HR premier. It was metallic blue with a white roof and had a reconditioned 186 engine. It had a two speed automatic and cream vinyl seats. Lots of go at the time but a thirsty beast. Handling however was pretty poor; a mate used to carry weight in the boot. The premier had a disc brake front end so it stopped pretty well. The premier also had a nice chrome grill and fake wood dash with console and fan.

A few mates had HR standards and all agreed that the premier was worth the extra cash at the time. Very much rarer and a top find these days would be a HR premier station wagon.

Even back then panels were hard to source especially front right guards; probably reflecting the fact that thet seemed everyone's first car of choice. My and all my mates cars were written off.

A few years ago there was a company in Reservoir Victoria selling reconditioned HRs.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #8
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsm
. I do like the shape and styling and would make a good cruiser but are they a rare car?
yes they are rare, 20+ years ago when they were a 25 year old car ther were largely ignored as collectables. It was the ej and eh that commanded the attention. The hd and the hr were just the disposable cars of the mid 60s, trash em, replace em, they rusted nicely so now they aren't that many around. Certainly just having a look on fleabay they aren't passing hands for nothing these days.

The HR semi fin looking rear end and the hexagonal headlamp surrounds gives it a distinctive look, but otherwise straight appearance. To me it has many similarities as the Chevy Nova of the time. They are one old car i reckon does look better modified and sitting on a fatter set of tyres. If you have the mulah, maybe looking for the premier, the classic feel of the standard vinyl bench seat and limited ventilation could wear off quickly
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #9
Scott

I had a HR for years and loved it. As I grew into newer and newer cars I got the taste to buy another and restore it so I went and drove one that looked the goods.... then it all came flooding back to me. I only went around the block and have never thought of buying one again!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
rvsm
Banned

well this ones a special. im not sure what that means as far as trim wise. Im more of a collector of cars being young i can appreciate these cars and see what they will be worth in years to come. not that the money is really important. mainly the cool factor and give my children something when i have them.
Old 17-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we had an old pale blue special too i think, one fully fitted out with vacuum brakes for towing, it would`nt pull the skin off a rice pudding, it had no compression, you`d be sitting there at the traffic lights watching all your compression(blowby) wafting out from the engine breather under car drifting over the other cars ,
i used to call it the battleship because it handled like one, not a bad old thing though, if you like it by all means, more toys is good .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 05:14 AM   #12
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, buy one by all means...they're a great car, and along with the EH are usually one of the most popular older Holdens. I really wish I hadn't turned down a mates offer a few years ago to buy a black one he'd just had painted, and which was a rolling shell with reco'd motor and new set of rubbers, seats, and chrome sitting inside it.
Keep it old school and you cant go wrong...cast iron X2 "extractors" and twin Strombergs if you can find a setup, but if not just a set of extractors, 350 Holley on a manifold, and steel timing gear with a Yella Terra head (or the traditional "149 head on a 186"), and it'll go like the clappers.
A disc brake front end is a big plus if it has one, and a power booster like the old VH40's that people used to fit is a good safety item.

Handling? Again, nothing like the tried and tested good stuff...gas shocks, heavier springs, and most importantly sway bars from and to a lesser extent rear, and you'll be surprised how well they can handle.

The "Special" was just a trim level...not particularly "special"(not as special as a Premier), but any HR in good condition is worth having.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #13
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose the obvious question is why???
What is it you’re looking for?
Like any old car, even if rebuilt and upgraded, it is a nasty piece of junk compared to anything built in the last 30 years. So hopefully you’re buying this as a Show Car, Sunday Cruiser, collectable, etc.
You then need to consider the totality of the ownership experience. Are you going to hangout on Holden forums, go on Holden cruises, join the Holden club, etc. Don’t get me wrong, I'm sure there are a great many happy people who swing both ways, and if that’s you then more power to ya. On the other hand, if it’s just for you and the family to enjoy, then you don’t have to worry.

Be aware though that any old car is a commitment. You will be looking for parts, looking for information, and looking for advice. Don’t have too romanticised view of it, as long as you understand what you’re buying, and what you’re getting yourself into, and you’re happy with it then go for it.

Of the older Holdens, I liked the look of the FE & FC. I also liked the HK/HT/HG especially the Monaro, but like the HD/HR they were rustbuckets even 30 years ago.

Personally, if I was going for a car from the 60’s (and I still might) I’d be looking for an XP, but that’s my personal preference.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #14
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

A cool car, I reckon..... Go for it !
(Here's a pic of one for those maybe not familiar with the HR).

EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 10:07 AM   #15
rvsm
Banned

well i am used to old cars now having got my xb coupe and no its just to have a but of fun on the weekends my fg is my daily drive. as for an xp i never really liked the sytling of that model. but perhaps i could just buy a xy or simmilar instead. i agree the ht is my favourite looking holden but for the price this hr is going for i cant say no. stay tuuned and ill let you guys know. thanks for the info.
Old 17-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #16
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

do it
the olden holdens are fun.
Old 17-05-2012, 11:43 AM   #17
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they is cool cars.. i is bought one off an old man and drove it up to kingoonya.. tarcoola.. and all round mulgathing.. commonwealth hill back in the day........
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #18
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Had a gold Prem in the late 80s' early 90s' that I converted to a 4 spd and drove around for 7 years. I never spent a cent on it apart from change the plugs and oil occasionally and the thing just kept going and was one of the most reliable cars I ever owned. No race car but I used to run a set of 13" chromies (7" front, 8" rears) and it went round corners ok..... till it got too hard to find tyres in the right size.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #19
menil
fg pursuit

Just go easy on the right foot I think the gearbox and diff were made by Leggo.
menil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #20
Chippa666

They are getting rarer now but you can still get parts for them. Rare spares do a fair bit for them as they are resonably popular. They were more popular then the HD and EJ but the EH was the most popular in it's time and as such more of them were made.
I had a rare HD X2 as my second car and loved it. I learnt alot from that car. Was a quick car too. Used to beat my mates XW GT no problems. I also owned a HD Premier, HD special Station wagon and a HR panelvan.
There were several different model lines up back then.
The Standard was the base model with no extras. It had a bench seat as standard, no heater, no drivers door lock barrel ( passenger lock only) no chrome trim and the basic motor ( usually the 161) and 3 speed column shift. Not many were sold as a result and these are the rare collectibles now.
The Special was the most popular model as it came with a range of options and had a better colour choice as well. Bench seats, Optional heater, chrome trim on the side, larger engine, optional 2speed powerglide, Optional disc brakes ( standard only had drum but drums were standard fitment back then).
The Premier was the top of the range and came with bench seats, heater with 2 speed fan, Optional 2 tone paint, better chrome trim, you get the idea.

There were also a heap of NASCO acessories for these cars too. Spats, sunvisors, clocks, radios, dress up kits, etc. These are becoming hard to find now.

Lastly there was the X2. The X2 was a rare car back when they were made so they are even harder to find now. The HR X2 differed from the HD. The HD ran a 179 HP block with modified head and cam as well as twin stronberg carbs. The HR ran a 186 S motor with a larger twin barrel carb. They both had discs brakes as standard and 4 speed manual floor shift gearboxes, bucket seats and extra guages ( water temp, oil pressure, fuel and amps).

Hope this helps you understand them a bit? Look out for rust in them too. The front sub frame bolts to the firewall and lower chassis and where it mounts to the chassis they can rust out. The sills can also rust, so if it has chrome trim along the sills, there is a good chance it's hiding rust as the chrome trim kind of promotes it. So too along the bottom edge of the rear screen. Chrome trim can cause and hide rust along there. Then there are usual spots of floor, boot and quarters around the wheel arch. The front guards alos rust on the lower rear edges due to the way they collect dirt. You can get almost all the rust repair sections for these now anyway so it's not a hugh problem.

Here were my old girls:

Don't have any pics of the wagon though!

They are a great car and I would love to have another one. Good luck with it.
Old 17-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
I suppose the obvious question is why???
What is it you’re looking for?
Like any old car, even if rebuilt and upgraded, it is a nasty piece of junk compared to anything built in the last 30 years. So hopefully you’re buying this as a Show Car, Sunday Cruiser, collectable, etc.
You then need to consider the totality of the ownership experience. Are you going to hangout on Holden forums, go on Holden cruises, join the Holden club, etc. Don’t get me wrong, I'm sure there are a great many happy people who swing both ways, and if that’s you then more power to ya. On the other hand, if it’s just for you and the family to enjoy, then you don’t have to worry.

Be aware though that any old car is a commitment. You will be looking for parts, looking for information, and looking for advice. Don’t have too romanticised view of it, as long as you understand what you’re buying, and what you’re getting yourself into, and you’re happy with it then go for it.

Of the older Holdens, I liked the look of the FE & FC. I also liked the HK/HT/HG especially the Monaro, but like the HD/HR they were rustbuckets even 30 years ago.
I dunno wether the above is negative or not ???
Like any oldish car,they were built simple to do a job
They were as many of the era,nothin fancy compared to todays standards (id hope new is better)
The engines in them is the old trusty red motor,one of the most mass produced engines in the world,so any other red motor will be a simple , albeit sump and oil pick up change a bolt in job
The diffs are the ever trusty banjo,not great with heaps of power , but everywhere and cheap
The main issue youll have is the 3 speed crash box, these are very rare to find a goodie and priced rather exxy if you can find one that works
That said they are in various models,HD,HR,HK so should be found
Good parts like any model with a medioca demand get good money, but parts are out there
Many parts are HR specific like front guards and bonnet,grill,stone tray ect(yep different bonnet to the HD),but many parts are interchangable between the 2 (HR/HD)
There were 3 models, standard (povo pak)special and premier
Then the X2 (the factory hottie)
The premier based parts like chrome trims,interior and the X2 gear (twin carbs and 2 piece headers)are the prime parts in the price scale
The rest depends on the day
Ive had quite a few over the years,maybe get another one day ???

Lovin the HD pics above, that brings back memories of indestructable HD utes

I say go for it,do what makes you happy
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #22
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

great car......go for it.....I too had the X2 (in black with red upholstery) and the EH as well as the LH Torana

easy to work on and parts everywhere

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #23
Chippa666

Agree with 302 XC. Doors and interior are all interchangable as well as all the mechanicals. The HR was a facelift for the HD as teh HD was such an ugly car that holden lost sales on it so they rushed through the HR.

What area are you in? There are many clubs around that are devoted to these cars and they are a great source for parts and cars. I used to be a member of the PRE 68 Holden Car Club of Vic, but that has since change and evolved into The Lions Pride Car Club. Great bunch of people, the majority of the guys that were there when I was memeber 20 years ago are still there and I know some of the members have a very decent parts collection sitting at home.
Just a thought to help you along if your keen on these cars.
I also forgot to say the same as a few of the others, but go for it and stuff what others think. A car is a car no matter what make it is. I can appreciate any type of car no matter the brand and I'm sure the majority of people can to.
Old 17-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #24
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippa666
Agree with 302 XC. Doors and interior are all interchangable as well as all the mechanicals. The HR was a facelift for the HD as teh HD was such an ugly car that holden lost sales on it so they rushed through the HR.
The HR was rushed through because of the pedestrian safety concern with the HD vertical front guard 'blades' next to the headlights, when that model was first released.

I was quite keen on the HR when I was a kid, but not as much as the earlier EH (never owned either cars). The 186 red motor was the one to get, but seeing the odd HR these days, boy they have aged over time, and look quite ugly especially around the wheel areas. Perhaps because I'm now more used to larger diameter wheels these days.

But as others have mentioned, remember you are buying an old car, so be ready for the work involved in owning such a car.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #25
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love HRs! And definitely get an HR over the HD - the HR came with the discs and rack and pinion steering, didn't it?

I have always loved them. I say go for it!

Interestingly, my mate who bought Yeti's XP wagon was actually looking at HRs at the time.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #26
max_torq
From the Futura

I had an HR ute in the early ninties, the only holden I've ever owned. It had the HP179 engine, 3.08 diff and a toyota 5 speed. It still felt quite primitive. The motor was a bit rough compared to the crossflow fords, and the whole car kind of had this "metal box" feel which I recall also the EH/J had. I had an XR falcon around the same era it seemed a much more modern car. The HR looks a bit gothic, like a munsters-mobile, especially with the premier bling. If you were after something specifically archaic, it could be a good choice.
Old 17-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #27
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
I love HRs! And definitely get an HR over the HD - the HR came with the discs and rack and pinion steering, didn't it?

I have always loved them. I say go for it!

Interestingly, my mate who bought Yeti's XP wagon was actually looking at HRs at the time.
pretty sure the holdens had recirculating ball until much later, possibly the first commodores had rack and pinion, Lh torana`s had rack and pinion, not sure about the earlier ones.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #28
Chippa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
The HR was rushed through because of the pedestrian safety concern with the HD vertical front guard 'blades' next to the headlights, when that model was first released.
lLOL The kidney crushers. Thats what they used to be called! Almost the perfect height!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
pretty sure the holdens had recirculating ball until much later, possibly the first commodores had rack and pinion, Lh torana`s had rack and pinion, not sure about the earlier ones.
Yeah your right. The commodore had rack and pinion and so too did the LH/X torana's. Everything else was recirculating ball.
Castle main rod shop do a rack and pinion conversion kit for them if thats the way you want to go.

The 186 was the biggest motor fitted to the HR but you can always get a red 202 out of a HQ/J/Z/X OR VB/C/H commodore. You cold then get the fuel injection set-up off the VK commodore although they are getting harder to get and they heads were different and not that good in the cast ( 12 port head and they used to crack through the intake and give you coolant injection at no extra charge!!)

You can fit up the trimatic to them with a slight massage of the tunnel to make it fit. You can modify the column shifter to accept the 3 speed auto with no real dramas as well, or put a floor shifter in.
The diffs are the old banjo type and LSD's are rare for them now ( i had one in mine and it was rare 20 years ago!!) Best bet is change up to alter model diff if you want an LSD.
Ride is pretty crude in these and the suspesnion used to alway ssqeek on mine even after replacing the bushes and lubing them up. They will wallow a little but a firmer front sway bar will help. Castle main rod shop also offer a chassis strengthening kit to help tie in the front sub frame a little better and stiffen it up.

If you get one with drums, you can use HK/T/G OR LH/X stub axles, brakes and calipers to upgrade it, but be aware that you will need to go to 14 inch rims with this brake upgrade. You might also want to remove the valve out of the master cylinder so you the brakes don't lock on. The master cylinder is a single circuit master cylinder and when brakes are upgraded to discs a seperate booster is installed- usually a VH40 or VH44 type. Alternatively, you can mount a later model dual circuit master cylinder to the firewall with minor mods and run two boosters for added safety. It's a better system than standard and I can tell you from first hand experience that it's not fun when you loose the brakes in one of these cars!

I've got a heap of info on these ( as well as full of ****** so my wife says!!) as well as factory repair manuals. If you need any advice or tips PM me. They aren't a hard car to mod or repair and parts are readily available still. You just need to know where to look.
Old 17-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #29
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
I dunno wether the above is negative or not ???
Call it "Cautionery, Yet Supportive..."
I'm not adverse to the idea that someone finds old Holdens attractive, and whilst I personally prefer the XP from that era, he doesn't, which is the essence of personal taste.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #30
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

They are getting old, therefore less common.

If you want one, go for it...Nice ol' rig. There's an X2 HR For Sale in Adelaide (Croyden area)...Been bogged up and they want $9,000. (Just under actually but close enough). Not sure whether it's an original one or not....I see it driving past.

Motor...Why not mix and match with the motor. 186, with a Ford 221 crank. Common practice back in the 80's. Stage 3 yella terra head, 350 Holley, extractors...Disc braked front....These are fairly rare these days, but I do beleive there are plenty of conversions around for the ol' girls.

Personally I won't go the rack and pinion route. I have driven one and you loose turning circle. You've also got to get an oil filter re-location kit, as the intermediate shaft goes right through where the oil filter usual resides.

gearbox...Common swap was a Celica 5 speed.

Diff....I'd be looking at cutting down a Salisbury one. The ol' banjoes can bearly handle a stock red, let alone one with a tickle up. Or you could go a cut down Borgie or 9" if so desired.

All in all, they are a nice ol' rig. I'd have one, if the right one cropped up at the right price.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post