Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #1
Rodge
Banned

Default 2012 Honda Civic - Experience 40 Years of Innovation...

What's going on at Honda ?
Okay I admitt it, my wife is a greenie and she has the previous Honda Civic Hybrid as a shopping basket, not proud of it but she likes it and it gives her the warm fuzzies, tree hugging and all that "Jazz", excuse the pun.

So today a nice shiny silver envelope arrives and I thought here we go another car company pitching for more business and its marked with a big 40 on it so yeah, I was bored and thought I'd have a look through their marketing buff.

THE INTELLIGENT DESIGN
Under this heading they go on "Honda's heritage and long term investment in Reaearch and Development over 7.2 Billion last year alone" no that's not a typo 7.2 Billion !!

So I thought with this incredible investment in R & D it'd be chock-a-block with all the very latest technology right ? Well, errr, NO it appears not.

I went to the spec's and noted the following:-
5 Speed Auto, (no 6 speed even as an option)
In dash Stereo with this that and the other connectivity but only 4 speakers and no option for a proper stereo system with a sub-woofer
No Sat Nav - Not even as an option
No Blind spot assist,
No Lane departure warning system
No adaptive cruise control,
No self parking,
Hybrid system is still not plug-in and isn't anywhere near as efficient as the Prius
No pre warning collision system
Halogen headlights, no xenon option, no swivelling headlights that bend around the corners
No direct injection
No diesel engine option

Anyone who wants to try and defend their lack of investment in latest technology, be my guest. Am I expecting too much in a Civic ? Probably but goodness, this is 2012, I would have thought they'd make a better effort with this model.

Totally Underwhelmed !! They invited us to take a test drive in the so called all new 9th generation 2012 Hionda Civic, honestly we're not even going to waste our time.

I have one word for Honda, "Focus", you've lost your's and we're going to find ours. I'll be recommending a Titanium Focus for the Mrs next upgrade.
Far more advanced technology there and I reckon in the real world it would use next to no more fuel that the Honda Civic hybrid on IMA or whatever other acronym they're using these days. Long term fuel consumption of the Mrs hybrid is 6.9, Honda Claim 4.6 L/100 km's, we've never been able to get anywhere near that claim, in fact real world consumption is 50% higher !! Almost beggars belief on where Honda spent that $7.2 billion doesn't it ?

Am I missing something here or is this one of the weakest efforts at a model update ever ?

Last edited by Rodge; 25-05-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
FG_Frodza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2012 Honda Civic - Experience 40 Years of Innovation...

Maybe they have spent money on things other than in-car gadgets.

Seriously, if someone needs blind spot assist, lane departure warning system, adaptive cruise control, self parking and collision warning, they shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Might not be a waste of time test driving it, it may surprise you and if you drive it you may see where they spent their $7.2 billion.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4150126
FG_Frodza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
RASER
Banned

Thumbs up Re: 2012 Honda Civic - Experience 40 Years of Innovation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge
What's going on at Honda ?

Am I missing something here or is this one of the weakest efforts at a model update ever ?
No, you are not missing anything, the fleet of vehicles are all a very poor effort, and the buyers are not bitting, hence the constant price drops, even the Koreans are killing them.

They are living on past reputation and have totally lost there way.

They actually had 2 x of the very best engines ever made.

Civic model VEi D15Z1 [VTEC-E]

"The worst i could do thrashing it was 5L/100km!"

&

S2000 donk F20C, 9000RPM, used in the Skelta, need i say more

The have the alleged largest racing budget on the planet, and really left with its tail between its legs after the last F1 effort.

Wheels have fully fallen off, badly

Last edited by RASER; 25-05-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: F20C is God!
RASER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Bearclan
Starter Motor

I just purchased the 2012 Civic SI 5 Door hatch for my wife. This car, product of Great Britain not Thailand, is a much better car than the new Civic on face value. I wanted my wife to get the Titanium Focus with all its wizbang but she was instantly drawn to the Civic SI because of its appointments and '...it looks so cute' her words not mine. She also likes the fact that she has the only one in our town, I guess it is a dress type thing for a woman.

But for the record she'll drive my Ford 50th Anniversary G6E every chance she gets... I sometimes wonder if this is just because her's needs fuel...

The sound system in the Civic SI is more than adequate, dual zone Air Con, Air Bags all around blah blah blah, yes you still have to drive it yourself and make the serious decisions but hey isn't that he fun of driving...

Cheers
Bearclan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
But for the record she'll drive my Ford 50th Anniversary G6E every chance she gets... I sometimes wonder if this is just because her's needs fuel...
I don't blame her, I would too. Thanks for your input

Quote:
Seriously, if someone needs blind spot assist, lane departure warning system, adaptive cruise control, self parking and collision warning, they shouldn't be behind the wheel
In my opinion its not a case of needing this stuff, people feel safer with it and want it and it helps sell cars, Honda make small cars without this technology and they're losing market share at a fair rate of knots.
Ford Aust make Falcon's without this technology and they're losing market share too. People want new technology !!
This new Civic hasn't even got the option of a factory fit GPS system or reverse camera, even Falcon has that now !!

Last edited by Rodge; 25-05-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 25-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG_Frodza
Seriously, if someone needs blind spot assist, lane departure warning system, adaptive cruise control, self parking and collision warning, they shouldn't be behind the wheel.
Spot on, those things are gimmicks that pander to ****** drivers.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm...then again, you could sit in a new Falcon, say our year old G6E, and think "50 years experience making Falcons, and even in a near top of the line model they still can't do:
Real quality plastics,
Soft-return passenger grab assist handles,
Auto up & down electric windows all round,
Soft-close on the center console lid,
Coupled with non painted engine blocks and other steel mechanical parts that quickly get a lovely patina of surface rust".

You could look at a lot of cars that have been in production a long time and wonder why they haven't done certain things...but with Japanese models from major companies it almost seems unbelievable and not what we've come to expect...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

You've got to remember that no matter how it is marketed, the Civic is a mass-produced, budget sedan aimed at conservative commuters.

No matter how hard it tries, it always has and always will be second fiddle to the Corolla, just simply due to the fact that they can't achieve the longevity out of the Civics.
Old 25-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
Rodge
Banned

So I happened to see a May 2012 Wheels mag on a mate's coffee table this arvo, (I would never pay to read their dribble and they're by no means an authority but they've certainly run the ruler over closer than I), so I couldn't help read there comments on the 9th Generation Honda Civic. "All new Honda Civic... or so we're told".Basically for those that havn't read it they called everything very familiar with the 8th generation 2006 model and in a thinly disguised way basically said not good enough. Said it was kind to call it a generation 8.5 or words to that effect.

Seems I havn't missed anything, except the opportunity to test drive this world class, tech rich revolutionary model update
Talk about mutton dressed up as lamb...
Old 25-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
So I guess you've never gone to changed lanes and as you've started to move across noticed a car there or wandered a bit out of your lane or never just about ran up someone's butt?
Best disconnect your airbags, you dont need them!

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I worked at Honda for a short stint in 2010, the only cars they have worth buying is the Accord Euro and the V6 Accord Luxury, they're quite nice cars, very well built inside and out. Funnily enough the Accord Euro is the only car Honda sells in Australia that is sourced from Japan.

Everything else is average, junk and not worth bothering with, Honda is riding on past reputation, they're more boring than Toyota. Bring back the Honda of the 90s and early to mid 2000s, DC2/5 Integra Type R/S, EP3 Civic Type R and S2000.

The Civic is fairly crap, its slow in manual and even worse in auto, I drove a new at the time Civic Sport 2L with the 5sp auto to pick up parts, and all it basically did was convert petrol into some farty noise without actually picking up much.

The Honda Jazz in manual is actually quite nice to drive in 1.5L variant, but again, its expensive because it has a Honda badge on it, plus it has 8 spark plugs, WTF?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG_Frodza
This is the most rampantly stupid idealism that I have ever heard, and is unfortunatley peddled by the usual suspects....

Tell me something FG Frodza,if a manufacturer can pack these features in while keeping the price of the vehicle much the same, probably benefiting safety levels for those who may not have your amazing aptitude behind the wheel like oh, someones wife, a learner driving 16 year old (perhaps your son or daughter?), or baby/child in the back, then WHY NOT have these safety boosting extras in a car???

Would you knock back extra topping on your Pizza for the same price!? Ridiculous..

So stupid. I agree with the OP. Honda's have become the most bland boring rubbishy whitegoods at a ghastly premium price. I'd rather a Toyota, at least they have some interesting vehicles in their range these days.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
So stupid. I agree with the OP. Honda's have become the most bland boring rubbishy whitegoods at a ghastly premium price. I'd rather a Toyota, at least they have some interesting vehicles in their range these days.
I said pretty much the same thing to the workshop manager, and I got my *** kicked haha.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better myself. If people like my Mrs are inclined to buy a hybrid, at least a Toyota Prius itec offers some interesting technology and a plug-in version is only just around the corner. Every few months we get another pesky call to our personal home number, would you like to test drive the new Honda XYZ ...my wife is now well accustomed to these calls (and firmly says no thank you and puts the phone down before they try and convince her otherwise), as lets face it they come more and more often as they seem to have nothing better to do than pester their ever diminishing customer base in the mistaken belief they're loyal. Anyway the time she got the call for the new Honda Civic a little while ago she pricked up her ears when she heard about the new Honda Civic hybrid and decided to engage the poor hapless customer services rep from Honda. I was there and heard my wife's questions and this is how she reported the full conversation went.
Wife - So that would now be a plug-in hybrid ?
Sales Rep No madam, but its an all new generation hybrid with all new lithium batteries and a bigger motor.
Wife - So if its not plug-in but has a bigger motor and new batteries it would be more powerful then ?
Sales Rep - Actually madam its got about the same power.
Wife - Has it got more power or less
Sales Rep - Actually slightly less but its an incredible performer
Wife - So you're asking me to test drive a vehicle that's all; new but slower ?
Sales Rep - Oh its a much better drive madam
Wife - Yeah Right...Why isn't it plug-in ?
Sales Rep - Honda believe that if we make plug-in's the electricity network won't cope
Wife - (She has a finely tuned nose for B.S.), Not interested, Goodbye.

Last edited by Rodge; 26-05-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 26-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The Honda CEO has even taken the big step of actually admitting the new Civic is nowhere near where it needs to be, and that they underestimated their competition and how much they have moved the game forward.

They screwed up big time and will be rushing to get it updated as soon as they can.

But Hondas are boring rubbish now anyway so who cares.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
Rodge
Banned

^^ Yeah I kind of remember hearing that somewhere...who cares ? Fair call, it was a very slow day at the office yesterday.

In my opinion the whole team behind this Civic need to be "cleaned out" Time for some fresh idea's initiative and design flair.

Last edited by Rodge; 26-05-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 26-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge

In my opinion the whole team behind this Civic need to be "cleaned out" Time for some fresh idea's initiative and design flair.
Thats the problem, they are too scared to do that now, ever since the GFC they have dropped anything resembling that and gone to making whitegoods.

Thats not Honda.

Maybe the new NSX will be the start of getting back to where they were.
Old 26-05-2012, 03:50 PM   #18
Rodge
Banned

^^ New Focus Titanium looks the goods for the Mrs when the times right, self parking, that'll cut down 95% of the insurance claims
Might be tempted to grab the keys myself from time to time.
Old 26-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #19
Till_Lind
E-series fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Except adaptive cruise control. I wish I had that all the time with all the ******* on the road that cannot drive at a consistent speed, causing me to have to adjust cruise all the time.
Old 26-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #20
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The Honda CEO has even taken the big step of actually admitting the new Civic is nowhere near where it needs to be, and that they underestimated their competition and how much they have moved the game forward.

They screwed up big time and will be rushing to get it updated as soon as they can.

But Hondas are boring rubbish now anyway so who cares.
Bossxr8 , I heard Paul Gover make just the same claim a few weeks back, Honda CEO was apologetic and disappointed at the effort put in feeling it made minor improvement over the old model and didn't leap over any competitor.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 03:09 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Its pretty staggering the are still using 5 speeds, when the competition moved to 6 or 7 speed boxes years ago, and 8 speeds are just around the corner.
Old 27-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #22
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i used to think 5 speeds where the best ten years ago!!
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #23
Rodge
Banned

Forgive me, I couldn't resist, here's the full paragraph under The Intelligent Design heading in their marketing material
Quote:
Honda's heritage and long term investment in Reasearch and Development, over $7.2 Billion last year alone, enables our engineers to realise their dreams, challange convention and create ground-breaking new technology We invite you to experience the new Civic; Performance, economy and flair come together in a true motoring masterpiece

Last edited by Rodge; 27-05-2012 at 06:20 PM.