Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #1
GXR
Power & Torque

Default BA hydraulic clutch into an AU

Hi guys,
I have a series 3 2002 AU XR6 SPRINT manual. It has had bolt on mods + cam & head porting.
In the last 3 years I have had the firewall repaired (cracked) (this was pre-existing when I purchased the car in standard form), the clutch plate & pressure plate upgraded, and a new clutch fork & throw out bearing and clutch cable.
In the last 2 months the clutch pedal snapped at the top where the cable attaches to the pedal.
Now the pedal box + where the clutch pedal attaches to the pedal box, is twisting, when the clutch is depressed. Obviously the pedal box is on it's way out. (The pedal is no longer in it's correct alignment)

I am now wanting to put an hydraulic clutch kit into my AU.

I believe Mal Wood has an hydraulic clutch kit that includes a under dash "unique bolt on pedal and carrier which includes the master cylinder as a complete unit" + slave cylinder that mounts in the bell housing (his website says some individual machining may be required for the slave cylinder to fit).

I have been told by a mechanic that the BA Falcon comes factory fitted with an under dash hydraulic clutch and bell housing slave cylinder.

QUESTIONS:
1. Is the Mal Wood hydraulic clutch kit a modified BA clutch kit to suit the AU?

2. Will the BA clutch bolt into the AU?

I believe there is no difference from the A to C pillars between the AU &
BA. So I expect the BA under dash hydraulic kit will probably bolt straight into the AU.
But the BA has a different 5 speed manual gearbox to the AU. So I expect that the BA slave cylinder in the bell housing will not bolt straight in, or will it, with minimal modifications or machining?

2. Has anyone already done this modification / upgrade?

3. Is there any other information I should know?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

GXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #2
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Re: BA hydraulic clutch into an AU

The BA slave is a generic unit which will inter change with a few different units (GM.Corvette ext,in plastic and alloy) with a range of shim plates that can be put in or taken out depending on the clutch plate set up (twin , triple ,ext) as for it being in a easy convert to AU specs I would doubt it as the bell housings are a fair bit different (BA being one piece part of the box), but as with most things time and money could fix that. Best bet would be to stick with a purpose built "supplied kit" as MWs web site says "some machining may be required" sounds like a head spin at best My2c.
Try giving Extreme clutches a call and see what info they can help with, MW tend to be a bit one sided with there advice at times

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here is a kit that may help
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11369891

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXR
I believe there is no difference from the A to C pillars between the AU &
BA. So I expect the BA under dash hydraulic kit will probably bolt straight into the AU.
The AU firewall completely different to a BA (closer to a EL), all the floor plan is also different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXR
3. Is there any other information I should know?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
is the clutch heavy duty or anything special? these type of aftermarket clutches are normally what causes the firewall to brake. iv got a exedy standard replacement clutch which is actually lighter and able to handle more that the standard AU clutch.

iv also heard that the BA hydrolic clutch isnt all that light?

Cheers Cam

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
GXR
Power & Torque

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.
GXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post