Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Kesh

Default Guys on the forum who don't have their Fords yet

I'm in this boat.

I think I've made a number of enquires about the technicalities behind the FG Falcon (which I hope is due June next year) which you may have seen or responded to (thanks!). I've also made a thread inquiring about an owners manual and am probably going to continue making threads just like that

Personally, I'm waiting till next year as I turn 18 next June and so I'll (hopefully) get my P's by that time. I know a lot of the people here bought their first car with their own money but I'll admit, my car will be what is affectionately known around here as an FPV (Father Bought Vehicle). Although, my dad will be using it as well..

Reason being, my parents have really only one request or condition for the hopeful purchase of my dream P-Plater car, and that is to Study Study Study..

I'm hoping to get a course in Aero Engineering and maybe commerce too depending on how well I go, at the end of my secondary schooling.

My future is very important to me given the state of jobs in our country and because of this, it will be really hard to study as much as I need/want to and work at the same time and personally I see it as most hours of work could be studying and get me that extra mark which is necessary.

I'll only ever be able to work on the end of year holidays and perhaps term holidays and the odd weekend. (This'll buy me a nice audio and carputer setup)

But of course, given the economy's state, my parents and I obviously will choose whether or not it is necessary to purchase the car.

Anyway, I guess we can use this thread to discuss what we're doing/researching about our dream Fords..

I have my own question for the pro's here regardless. Is there anything I can actually do while I'm waiting? I've been looking at the show and shine thread with all these FG's to gain some inspiration (all your cars are stunning by the way!). I've been looking at 100's of pages of worklogs from a variety of forums, I've been looking up suspension, brake, engine, A/V etc...

Is there any further reading I can do to help me if/when I do get my FG. Is there any mods I can sort of do/design while I'm waiting.. I'm hoping to modify my car to make it personal.

As far as existing knowledge, I am what you might say, book smart but have little experience with hands on things. So I thought maybe a deep analysis of a workshop manual will be useful..

Thanks for reading if you made it, appreciate your input and discussion, sorry if this is a waste of space and bandwidth.

Kesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
MitchG

Default Re: Guys on the forum who don't have their Fords yet

What the F...
MitchG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First thing. Without owning one, it is hard to work out mods. Do you want mods to make the car quicker or do you want mods to make the car stand out visually?

I would make a list of things that you want and start looking at prices of these. If you do not have a job it is going to be very hard to get these. Things like rims are around $1500 a set for starters. Also if your parents are going to drive it, you may want to think about what they want to. Looking at people builds is another way to get an idea.

Have you decided what type of FG you want. XT, XR6 etc. This could be the start.

Your post is very hard to read, and it took me ages to make sense of what you were trying to ask.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
MitchG

how about learning how to drive first?
FG's look pretty good as they are...you dont need to start hacking it up & going all ricey on it...plus your dad is still going to be using it so its going to have to be some what appropriate for him.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
Kesh

Helps if I wrote it at one time.... My bad

Without the unnecessary rubbish...

I'm probably getting an Falcon G6 next year for my birthday, is there anything I can read up or learn to make modifying it easier. Interior modifications are what I want to start of with. I'll get a job when I go to uni but not for the time being.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gauges, leds sound system, seat covers. That's about all you can do with the inside. Without spending massive amounts of money.

Even a sounds system upgrade will cost you $1000.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Don't waste your time modifying a perfectly good vehicle in my opinion. Just study and maintain it to an excellent level. If you really want to learn more about the mechanical side of the vehicle, how about trying to get some work experience at a mechanics in your spare time?
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchG
What the F...
its no big deal.. obviously a younger member of AFF.. if it means anything i look at the shopping list in your sig and think wtf...
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
Kesh

Quote:
how about learning how to drive first?
Yes, I'm continuing to learn how to drive. But eventually when I am able to drive independently I'd like to own my very own car. Are you suggesting I'm wrong in thinking about a car I may get in the future?

Quote:
FG's look pretty good as they are...you dont need to start hacking it up & going all ricey on it...
How did you come to the conclusion that I'm going to hack it up and rice it up?

Quote:
plus your dad is still going to be using it so its going to have to be some what appropriate for him.
Yes of course, he'll only drive it if he sells our current AU, but even so, every modification will go through him first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
Gauges, leds sound system, seat covers. That's about all you can do with the inside. Without spending massive amounts of money.

Even a sounds system upgrade will cost you $1000.
Yeah, I've got a bit of savings, hopefully 2-3k or so I'm hoping. Even things like the scalps on the doors and stuff like that.. Sound system I planned might go well over that haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81
Don't waste your time modifying a perfectly good vehicle in my opinion. Just study and maintain it to an excellent level. If you really want to learn more about the mechanical side of the vehicle, how about trying to get some work experience at a mechanics in your spare time?
I still think I'll resist the urge though. Can I ask why you say this? I just thought I few little modifications car make my car more unique and personal, thats all.

Work experience sounds like a great idea, thanks for that.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
MitchG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
its no big deal.. obviously a younger member of AFF.. if it means anythreferring toing i look at the shopping list in your sig and think wtf...
I was referring to how the post was written/structured.
not his age & ambitions.

hence in post #5 he wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesh

Last edited by MitchG; 02-09-2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
Kesh

[QUOTE=MitchG]I was referring to how the post was written/structured.
not his age & ambitions.

hence in post #5 he wrote.

Quote:

QUOTE]
Okay I misinterpreted what you were saying too..
Old 02-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I still think I'll resist the urge though. Can I ask why you say this? I just thought I few little modifications car make my car more unique and personal, thats all.

Work experience sounds like a great idea, thanks for that.[/QUOTE]
This is only my opinion, and not to be taken as gospel. But a fg g6e is a really good bit of kit as is. And doing little modifications as all young fella's do doesn't really add any value to a car once you sell it on. You most always loose money spending to, as they say -"do up a car". So that's why I recon it's in your best interests in my opinion of course to keep car as is and maintain it to a very high standard. But on the other hand we have all been young once, and it is entirely up to you mate, just giving you some of my hard learnt experience. I think anyone that is a car enthusiast is good.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
MitchG

Quote:
Yes, I'm continuing to learn how to drive. But eventually when I am able to drive independently I'd like to own my very own car. Are you suggesting I'm wrong in thinking about a car I may get in the future?

How did you come to the conclusion that I'm going to hack it up and rice it up?

Yes of course, he'll only drive it if he sells our current AU, but even so, every modification will go through him first.

As for "perfomance" mods i'd say worry about it later & gain more driving experience & wait till ya off your P's.

As for visual/ interior mods, like you said your old man has to drive with it so its gonna have to be pratical...

Not saying you will hack it up...but have you seen what some p platers do to nice fords?

Last edited by MitchG; 02-09-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #14
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Good on you dude,if your parents are that nice then your'e a lucky guy.
Maybe get the car first and see what,if anything you dont like about it or would like to change.
Modifying your ride is up to you and what you like,you dont need other peoples opinions,its a personal expression of yourself.
Look around at other g6,s and get some ideas.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #15
Kesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81

Work experience sounds like a great idea, thanks for that.
This is only my opinion, and not to be taken as gospel. But a fg g6e is a really good bit of kit as is. And doing little modifications as all young fella's do doesn't really add any value to a car once you sell it on. You most always loose money spending to, as they say -"do up a car". So that's why I recon it's in your best interests in my opinion of course to keep car as is and maintain it to a very high standard. But on the other hand we have all been young once, and it is entirely up to you mate, just giving you some of my hard learnt experience. I think anyone that is a car enthusiast is good. [/QUOTE]

Cheers mate, that's all I need really, lots of opinions. I'm sure that once the car comes my way, I'll realise this.

Quote:
As for "perfomance" mods i'd say worry about it later & gain more driving experience & wait till ya off your P's.

As for visual/ interior mods, like you said your old man has to drive with it so its gonna have to be pratical...

Not saying you will hack it up...but have you seen what some p platers do to nice fords?
I've seen all to well, fear not though, exterior mods will be kept at a minimum haha! I've seen plenty of AU's and BA's with distasteful mods (in my opinion)
Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
Kesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE 220
Good on you dude,if your parents are that nice then your'e a lucky guy.
Maybe get the car first and see what,if anything you dont like about it or would like to change.
Modifying your ride is up to you and what you like,you dont need other peoples opinions,its a personal expression of yourself.
Look around at other g6,s and get some ideas.
Thanks mate,

I think things will change once I get the G6. I'll certainly be looking around the forums, I'll dig deeper into the show and shine threads.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:08 PM   #17
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Heya. All i can say is, as mentioned, read around the forums! Show n shine section, build threads and all that. You must come across something you like!

Took me a month to start making my wagon more personal than it was when i bought it. Cars are personal because you make them how you want them to be. Once you have your car, after a lil while, youll find something to change or add to make it suit you!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #18
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I was to do anything, I'd upgrade the standard speakers but keep the standard ICC, then look at some optioned g6et 19's and g6et bootlid + lower it. They are all subtle mods that will improve the look/sound without breaking the bank.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #19
Kesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas2
If I was to do anything, I'd upgrade the standard speakers but keep the standard ICC, then look at some optioned g6et 19's and g6et bootlid + lower it. They are all subtle mods that will improve the look/sound without breaking the bank.
That's what I've been planning, but I'd like a colour ICC. What's the difference in bootlids?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Heya. All i can say is, as mentioned, read around the forums! Show n shine section, build threads and all that. You must come across something you like!

Took me a month to start making my wagon more personal than it was when i bought it. Cars are personal because you make them how you want them to be. Once you have your car, after a lil while, youll find something to change or add to make it suit you!
Yeah mate,

I can't wait but it's still ages away!! I wish I could mould a subwoofer enclosure or something at least haha!

Oh well, everything's going to have to stay on CAD then.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #20
atmoxr6

its good that he's asking for advice, and even better that he's looking to buy a falcon.
atmoxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #21
Evgeni
Auto Nerd

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: In recognition of the many hours spent scanning information for the benefit of AFF members. 

When I was your age, I modded a XC and a XE. Had a great time, great memories. On top of everything, learnt alot about cars.

The only advice I can offer is to be wary of what some mods can do to your insurance premium. They went to town on me for things like sports exhausts, mags, tints etc.
Evgeni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #22
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Keep it mostly stock, except for a lowering job and some nice wheels...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 12:07 AM   #23
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmoxr6
its good that he's asking for advice, and even better that he's looking to buy a falcon.
Don't know afterall. His bogan mates still have around 10 months to convert him to a hoon commodore. Let's hope he stays true to himself!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 02:20 AM   #24
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's what I've been planning, but I'd like a colour ICC. What's the difference in bootlids?
Just the lip spoiler on the boot. No difference otherwise.

Why not get the G6 Limited Edition? They have a colour ICC, and the spoiler standard, as well as leather interior. I can still see G6 LEs around on Carsales, so if you're quick you might still be able to get one.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 07:47 AM   #25
Kesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205
Just the lip spoiler on the boot. No difference otherwise.

Why not get the G6 Limited Edition? They have a colour ICC, and the spoiler standard, as well as leather interior. I can still see G6 LEs around on Carsales, so if you're quick you might still be able to get one.
Alright, I kind of like the look of a spoilerless G6, but I wouldn't mind that DJR bobtail though.

The car would be purchased next year (June) sometime, what do you reckon the prices will be on FG's that have done around 150k km or less.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #26
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow, a young AFF member who doesn't want to be a mechanic!

I don't think the state of jobs and the economy in Australia is as doom and gloom as you might think (or have been told) and certainly not so bad you can't buy a used Falcon.

As mentioned, keep it mostly stock, they are a good car stock. It's easy to get carried away and spend thousands on mods, unnecessarily, and being a student I'm sure you could find a better use for say $5k than 2" bigger wheels, 2" lower suspension a slightly louder exhaust.

Don't get me wrong, it'll be your car to do as you please. I've spent more on mods to cars than the purchase price of the actual car in the past.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #27
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interest in cars is commendable - i would recommend doing your oil changes , wheel rotations , brake pad check and replacement - under supervision of someone who knows what they are doing.
You will stand out more by being able to do some mechanical work as not many gen Z's are hands on. As you grow more experienced and confident you will probably upgrade your cars handling ,braking and power .
Along the way you will discover many differing streams of car enthusiasts - i love a stock standard sleeper look with performance of a supercar - while others might prefer external mods or turning a car into entertainment hub...
Slapping some clear lenses ala monaro taillights on a commodore is not being unique and making your car personal when everyone else is doing it .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #28
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

There is another alternative here that's a bit outside the box, but well worth considering.. Get your dads AU and go to town on that.

It will cost heaps less to do a lot of the things you want as parts are cheap as chips for them, it just gives you a wider scope for changing bits.

The AU's are ultra reliable if looked after, AU's don't have those stupid ICC screen setups, so you can insert whatever single or dual din stereo system you please in there instead of having to put up with adding onto or modifying the OEM garbage that cannot be removed in the B and F series..

The AU's are a real drivers car and from what others have said re AU vs FG in ride and handling etc, they are virtually on an even par there. Sure the FG may have more power and the G series ones will be more plush inside, but it's a 5-10k car vs a 45k car for a start.

Also, if you do anything silly in it or have a crash or it gets knocked around at work or uni etc, you wont be stressing out so bad on the cheaper ride, or havin to make up a BS story to your dad why you bent yours and his shared car.

Lastly, your dad can get whatever he wants then as his own car and you can have his AU all to yourself without sharing it.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #29
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

G'day Kesh, Donny made some good valid points in his post, you cant go wrong taking his advice mate. Ask dad & see what he says also mention you'd be happy for dad to be involved if you like.

cheers,Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #30
creative
I am Batman

Im with donny on this one!
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post