Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
jackcurrie

Default Lowering your car, the right way?

I've been driving a xr6 ef for the past few months, and it has been lowered on cut springs in the past. I havent yet put new springs in, and the car is way too bouncy and rubbish to drive (its not that low, just bouncy and if you go on an angle up steep driveways you can hear the springs pop out.

If i lower my car properly, will it be better/smoother/less of a pain in the *** to drive. If I buy lowered springs (King, Pedder, etc), what will the difference be? And if I buy lowered springs/shockies together, will the car drive like a normal height car, despite being lowered? Obviously if the shockies make no real difference, I dont wanna pay the extra $300+.

Info? haha.

jackcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Lowering your car, the right way?

The difference is you wont get your car taken off the road by the police if your driving around on cut springs!

Stop driving the car around is the first thing you should do.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose View Post
The difference is you wont get your car taken off the road by the police if your driving around on cut springs!

Stop driving the car around is the first thing you should do.
I agree, stop driving, get the springs out and get it done properly.

If you get it all done correctly, it will drive like it should.

I am so against chopped springs. There was an accident a few years ago. Car driving 130ks on the freeway, had chopped springs, went over a bump, driver lost control because of the bounce and ended up in trees killing 4 of them.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
jackcurrie

I've stopped driving it because of this, unless its down the road to the shops or whatever. I drive about 45min to work, and have started using my old car, I dont trust the falcon at higher speeds as it is, which is why Im looking at he best option.

So is it worth buying the right gear, or will it always drive like rubbish? Or should I just go get some normal ride height springs from the wreckers, and deal with a car looking like a 4x4.

I understand proper lowered springs will help the ride, but will it be a huge change? Or will it still bounce and whatnot. Or are the shockies needed aswell to make it drive like it should?

I'd prefer the cheaper option if it will make the ride noticeably better, but if it wont make a real difference I'll obviously get the full setup.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
I reckon
Banned

And make sure you get all the camber adjusted properly or you'll be chewing tyres out like nothing ...... My guess is you probably already are if you cut your own springs !
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
jackcurrie

It was the bloke before me who lowered it, not well at all. Only lowered the rear luckily. Camber wear is fairly terrible, but once I fix the suspension setup if you guys give me the info i need lol), I'll have an alignment, new tyres, and adjust the camber.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How on earth was the car re-registered?
Who did the road worthy?

Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #8
I reckon
Banned

Come on jimmy everyone knows a dodgy mechanic lol
I reckon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
jackcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose View Post
How on earth was the car re-registered?
Who did the road worthy?
I have only had it a few months, it doesnt need rego until May. Which is why its sitting outside, not being driven, and why Im asking these questions to correct the issues it has before they become BIG issues. Is there any help you can give me, or more irrelevant nonsense?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #10
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe check the shock mounts as well. My advice would be do a bit of research on a combination of shocks & springs to get the result you want. Sometimes it can get messy when you swap over only the springs or only the shocks, without thinking of how it will affect the latter.

If you're worried about the cost of the components but you still want a low ride, might I suggest trying to find a second hand set of Monroe GT shocks & some new king springs?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I've got standard height king springs in the rear of my EL Fairmont Ghia with new Boge shocks and the rear passenger side one pops out, so avoid King Springs when you go to do it properly, my mechanic who is checking over my car and doing the RWC on it said its not the first time he has seen this with king springs and chances are its a dodgy spring.

When you go to do it properly go with Lovells springs, I hear they're quite good.

Cut springs are dodgy as hell.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
jackcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagg View Post
Maybe check the shock mounts as well. My advice would be do a bit of research on a combination of shocks & springs to get the result you want. Sometimes it can get messy when you swap over only the springs or only the shocks, without thinking of how it will affect the latter.

If you're worried about the cost of the components but you still want a low ride, might I suggest trying to find a second hand set of Monroe GT shocks & some new king springs?
Thankyou!

So you think, the simplest practice would be to just buy a set off ebay or somehing. SSL springs with the nesscessary shocks? Assuming if they're sold together they're meant for one another, lol. And the ride should be a lot more gentle? Less bouncy? Theres no scraping or anything, just stiff suspension.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
JoeDaleyN98

To answer your question on what I recommend.

I would say get a full set of springs and shockers. Get new ones because putting in second hand parts is counter productive. If you lower it buy a decent set of shocks which peddles should be able to help you with, so you get the stance you want, and the ride you want, which depending on what range you pick, you may be able to get it very stiff, or a nice firm feel, that will still be comfortable and not feel like your breaking your back. Profile of tyres also have a lot to do with this. If you go a super stiff shock and spring, no matter what height, if you have a decent profile like a 45 or 50 series, it will lessen the harshness of the ride.
JoeDaleyN98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #14
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

Lol, I had cut springs on standard shocks In the front of my car for a year, and honestly, I didn't feel unsafe at any moment. I was even pulled up and the cop didn't even check for chopped springs. I just said it had been lowered on factory shocks, which is why it's a little bit stiffer then standard.

I've now got some Boge shortened shocks, and King Lows, and I don't have any issue with the springs popping out, even at full travel.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
jackcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I've got standard height king springs in the rear of my EL Fairmont Ghia with new Boge shocks and the rear passenger side one pops out, so avoid King Springs when you go to do it properly, my mechanic who is checking over my car and doing the RWC on it said its not the first time he has seen this with king springs and chances are its a dodgy spring.

When you go to do it properly go with Lovells springs, I hear they're quite good.

Cut springs are dodgy as hell.
The only reason I went with Kng Springs as the example was because I usually look on ebay for springs, as I don know where else to get them? Can you buy them through supercheap/autobarn if they order them in? And is it possible to get the springs/shockies in one package, so they work together at the right height?

Im happy to get the better brand springs/shocks, assuming they're a similar price, I just dont know how to get my hands on them.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #16
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree with the above. Get some king springs off eBay and some lower shocks to go with them. Can be had pretty cheap. They will stiffen the car up a lot compared to what's in there now. If you like the ride height then go lowered springs and shocks. If you want it at standard height then king springs in the standard height will still stiffen the ride up for you.

PERFORMANCE MODS CAI + pod filter. That's all for the moment. More to come soon

VISUAL MODS 18in wheels wrapped in pirelli pzero nero. Push button start. Black XR8 badges, black 260 bonnet stripes, black 260 spoiler stickers, blackened sections on my tail lights, tinted side indicators, blue interior LEDs, HID head Lights, LED angel eyes and a BF typhoon front bar in the shed waiting to get painted.
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
jackcurrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes87 View Post
Agree with the above. Get some king springs off eBay and some lower shocks to go with them. Can be had pretty cheap. They will stiffen the car up a lot compared to what's in there now. If you like the ride height then go lowered springs and shocks. If you want it at standard height then king springs in the standard height will still stiffen the ride up for you.
Stiff as in, similar to the stiffness of my chopped springs? Or are we talking, comfortable stiff? lol
Old 02-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #18
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcurrie View Post
The only reason I went with Kng Springs as the example was because I usually look on ebay for springs, as I don know where else to get them? Can you buy them through supercheap/autobarn if they order them in? And is it possible to get the springs/shockies in one package, so they work together at the right height?

Im happy to get the better brand springs/shocks, assuming they're a similar price, I just dont know how to get my hands on them.
I haven't heard or seen king springs packaged together with a single price but that's not to say that if you buy the components together from the same shop they won't give a discount of some sort... but I wouldn't expect one anyway.

RE the second hand shocks if there is a limit of only about 300 to spend, don't expect to get a problem-free result by any means. Monroe GT shocks are good as a new and cost effective solution to old shocks, however my recommendation is Koni adjustables or bilstein shocks. But that is about $300 per shock lol
Old 02-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
JoeDaleyN98

Quote:
Stiff as in, similar to the stiffness of my chopped springs? Or are we talking, comfortable stiff? lol
In my Ef xr6 I had Monroe gt super low shocks and super low springs and it was so stiff it was to stiff. Other people have also said that king springs are a very harsh ride when going lower then stock height. Whereas pedders shocks and springs that were in a mates xr6 gave him same height, same handling, but when cruising, a far more comfortable ride.
JoeDaleyN98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #20
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggsy View Post
Come on jimmy everyone knows a dodgy mechanic lol
no no no.... not true...

Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #21
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

This is my EF Fairmont Ghia setup:
- King spring superlows in the front
- King spring ultralows in the rear
- Ultima shortened sports shocks
- Nolathane camber kit

The car handled like it was on rails for years until I started doing heavy towing and the rear shocks slowly died. I have replaced them now.

My tips:
- Nolathane fine thread camber kits are rubbish. The securing nuts would always loosen off meaning I was doing my camber all the time. In the end the actual bracket failed and the top arm in the car could move.. NOT GOOD AND COULD OF CAUSED A SERIOUS ACCIDENT IF I DIDN'T PICK UP ON IT!!!
- Use a shim type camber kit. Once they are installed they wont need to be touched.
- Think hard about how you drive and where you drive. A low car WILL bottom out everywhere.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #22
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Also think about how long you are going to own the car. Go cheap on the short termers and expensive on something that you are going to hang on to.

I did the expensive route on a car that I sprinted and daily drove for 7 years after the suspension changes and never regretted it. +1 for the alignment check after the changes.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...316255&page=14

Justin at Tuff Car Parts, one of our sponsors can get us pretty much everything for E series Falcons and at good prices.

Ask him if he stocks Lovells springs.

http://www.lovellsauto.com.au/dist.php?d=3

Their website has distributors as well if he doesn't deal in them.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #24
Bossxr8
Peter Car

What do you mean cutting springs isn't the right way to lower a car, thousands of Commodore drivers can't be wrong.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #25
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

What state are you in? Ive got King Springs V8 superlows/Monroe GT sport shocks sitting on my bedroom floor doing nothing, still new. Its one of the kits you see on eBay going for around $700.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #26
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...316255&page=14

Justin at Tuff Car Parts, one of our sponsors can get us pretty much everything for E series Falcons and at good prices.

Ask him if he stocks Lovells springs.

http://www.lovellsauto.com.au/dist.php?d=3

Their website has distributors as well if he doesn't deal in them.
I can vouch for Justin as well, good advice I bought my Koni adjustables & king springs off him. They stock Brembo parts too
Old 03-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #27
jackcurrie

Im in NSW. I dont know how long ill have this car, considering travelling for work keeps coming up, and a smaller car would be.on the cards in that case. which is why i dont want to spend much more then $600 or so on a setup.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:32 AM   #28
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are so many variables to suspension set up.

The best advice I can give is go to pedders, selby suspension or kmac suspension and tell them your budget and what you want out of the car and they will put you on the right track. On the forum if you get a hundred replies you will probably get a hundred different opinions. Most of them will probably be right for the poster but maybe not for your application.

If you spend $600 your car will definately be better than cut springs.

The problem with cut springs is that a lot of the spring action is taken away when they are cut. When you buy a manufactured spring the spring rate is upgraded to compensate for the loss of spring travel. When you cut a spring this doesn't happen. Also most people cut springs with a grinder or oxy putting heat into the spring and it can lose its actual springyness and become soft. Also most people cut too much off so the spring is completely stuffed.

All these things contribute to what you are experiencing now.

Ask about progressive rate springs they will give you a good ride and good handling when combined with the right shockies.

Don't underestimate the importance of good quality shocks. They are very important to the ride and handling of the vehicle. Adjustables are great but dearer.

Don't go too low you will get a harsh ride.

As for your particular application go to the places mentioned above. They are the experts and will solve your problem.

Hope this helps you with your decision.

Cheers Ken
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #29
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Im in NSW. I dont know how long ill have this car, considering travelling for work keeps coming up, and a smaller car would be.on the cards in that case. which is why i dont want to spend much more then $600 or so on a setup.
King/Monroe combos are going for $650 inc shipping on eBay for E series at the moment. If you can pick them up from Western Sydney and are happy with the front end sitting higher being a V8 spring set, I still have my super lows.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #30
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

I used to have an EBII Fairmont running King springs ("Lows" at XR height), with KYB struts and
a Nolathane camber kit up front and Monroe GT gas shocks in the rear.
A good setup with a reasonable price.... Car handled great for a live rear axle
and not too low either for every day driving situations.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post