Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The best way to re-locate?

Hi all.

Me and my partner have decided we want to move to Newcastle, we have stayed here for awhile with a relative and really like it.

I am wondering what's the best way to relocate here? We can't find a job, then a house cause then we will have to travel 400km every day to get here to work for a few weeks, and can't do it vice versa.

What we was thinking was finding a share house for a few months until things get sorted.

Has anyone got any suggestions on what's the best way to go about it?

Thanks for the help all

PS: We have about $2000 in savings we could touch at the moment.

buddy92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: The best way to re-locate?

Share house or staying with the relo would be the cheapest way to start off. May take more than a few months to set yourself up. 2k won't go very far, 2 months if your lucky, 3 months if you find a very cheap room and live on bread and water.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I understand 2k isn't much.

And our relo we have in Newy is expecting a baby within the next 4-5 weeks so that is kind of out of the question for the time being.

And I checked out this site called "flatmates.com.au" someone told me about but most posts are like 8 months old.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:25 AM   #4
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Try gumtree for finding a room. I used to own a share house and that's where I advertised.

Don't let on that you will be leaving in a month or 2 either.... Take that into consuderation if you are asked to sign a lodging agreement and leave a bond.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Try gumtree for finding a room. I used to own a share house and that's where I advertised.

Don't let on that you will be leaving in a month or 2 either.... Take that into consuderation if you are asked to sign a lodging agreement and leave a bond.
there are a few caravan parks around if you're not too fussy. do you have an MR or higher licence? if so I can get you a start

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only thing I can find on Gum Tree is people trying to find one, not advertising any?
Old 12-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slightly off topic, I assume you are in Newy at the moment? I could have sworn I saw your car on Main Road Edgeworth the other day!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
Slightly off topic, I assume you are in Newy at the moment? I could have sworn I saw your car on Main Road Edgeworth the other day!
Yeah I am, staying at a Aunties house, but can't stay as she is expecting a baby within 4 weeks.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy92 View Post
Only thing I can find on Gum Tree is people trying to find one, not advertising any?
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-flatshar...c18294l3003104

Old 12-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #10
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh cool, thanks heaps for that
Old 12-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should be heaps of share houses around the uni if you aren't too fussy..

i was chatting to a chick the other night and she was paying $450 a week rent split between 3 people at hamilton, now moving to waratah and paying $350 between two. those suburbs are close-ish to town.
Old 13-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #12
Springfield_Johny

Mate, not wanting to rain on your parade, but.....
I used to take calls for a homeless line, the amount of people such as yourself who wished to relocate without a plan that had to call looking for emergency accommodation was astronomical. Always stayed with a good friend it relative until they could find work, not many share houses will want to share with a new born and you may find that a new born will wear out your welcome where you intend to stay.
Not many real estate agents/landlords will want to rent to someone who isn't yet working .
The chances of finding emergency accommodation, very little, the chances if finding emergency accommodation where you your partner and child can stay together - none

If you find a shelter you'll be sharing with all the drug and alcohol defendant persons and the mentally traumatized
I think you said you were only a few hundred km away?
My advice, find a job in the area you want to move to, stay with your friend or relative Monday to Friday so yiu can work while looking for suitable accommodation, have a plan, I think the community here would hate to see someone with the best intentions sleeping in a car because things didn't work out

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #13
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Johny, buddy only has his misses to worry about, the person who is preggers is a friend they are staying with short term.

Sharing a house by paying 'per room' is your best option buddy. You should be able to find a smallish room for under $150 pw. If they suggest utilities are shared ask for the last 2 bills and how it was shared.

Have as little personal belongings as possible, don't ask about special storage for your car, and space in the garage / behind the couch to stash your 10 boxes of stuff you want.

Remember, when you are wanting to share a place you "don't smoke, drink or have friends in town that will be dropping in all the time". Ie you need to be low maintenance.

If sharing, go to a house that has other guests around. If they have been there a while the owner can't be all that bad. Don't pay anything by Eft, don't pay more than 2 weeks bond and try and get stuff in writing. In most cases the Realestate tenancy laws DON'T apply to share accommodation so if anything goes wrong you will be on your own.

Good luck mate.

Old 13-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #14
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there are caravan parks at Maitland Tomago Heatherbrae and Raymond Terrace that always have vacancies at least you will have some stability while you are looking for work and once you find work you can look for a cheap rental.
shoot me a PM if you have an MR licence I can get you $29/hour driving school buses (casual) . I run the one day course you need to get your driver authority and have a course running in 2 weeks

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Rides:

Old 13-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #15
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank's for all the opinions everyone.
Old 13-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #16
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
there are caravan parks at Maitland Tomago Heatherbrae and Raymond Terrace that always have vacancies at least you will have some stability while you are looking for work and once you find work you can look for a cheap rental.
shoot me a PM if you have an MR licence I can get you $29/hour driving school buses (casual) . I run the one day course you need to get your driver authority and have a course running in 2 weeks
Thanks for that mate, apprecciate it. I don't have a MR though, Have thought about going for them though.

Is there Caravan Park that allows you to stay for a month or more though and isn't $400+ a week? I would stay at one as I don't imagine work would be to hard to find here.
Old 13-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #17
Kryton

What work do you intend to get with no education and no work history?
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton View Post
What work do you intend to get with no education and no work history?
Anything that someone will give me?
Old 13-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #19
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy92 View Post
Thanks for that mate, apprecciate it. I don't have a MR though, Have thought about going for them though.

Is there Caravan Park that allows you to stay for a month or more though and isn't $400+ a week? I would stay at one as I don't imagine work would be to hard to find here.
try the tomago caravan park or the Belhaven at Raymond terrace . or the coachstop maitland ( bottom of the barrel though) I know someone who can train you up for your MR for a reasonable price if you want send me a PM with your number if interested or click the link below for details

Rides:

Old 13-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Buddy, if I were in your position I would be taking up au3xr6's offer and see if he can help you out with work. It is a most generous offer that may improve your situation greatly.

2 users like this post:
Old 13-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #21
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I PM'd him about it. ( No answer yet though )

It says you need to hold a unrestricted drivers license for 12 months within the last 2 years. I only have my P2 license. So that puts me out.

If not, I would love to do it.
Old 13-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #22
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think guys at work were getting MR on their green P's.
Old 13-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #23
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought you could do it aswell, but if you look at the link it says you got to have held a full unrestricted license for 12 months within 2 years.
Old 13-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #24
buggo
[BU66OS]

All the best luck mate.

Just make sure you cover ALL the bases. Leave nothing unresearched, know what you are getting into inside out. Knowledge is power. Don't try and wing it and think 'yeah four weeks is ages, I'll find a house and job easy'. I'm not saying you will say that but just in case.

Finding work that will earn you enough to sustain yourself, your girlfriend, rent, bills, food, your car and all the cost plus general living expenses, with no history or qualifications will not be simple. You might be ble to get a bricky labourer job or something, but you'll need to be on their books- not cash in hand. Its ashame you can't take up that offer of being a bus driver because that would have been perfect.

If I were you now mate I'd save every dollar I could. Cut down any social life you have, don't drive unless you absolutely have to, just live as economical as you can. $2k is only 2-3 weeks pay.

I hope it works out mate. I'd hate to see someone like yourself with the best intentions end up in a refuge
Just go in prepared with your eyes open.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2013, 11:40 PM   #25
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo View Post
All the best luck mate.

Just make sure you cover ALL the bases. Leave nothing unresearched, know what you are getting into inside out. Knowledge is power. Don't try and wing it and think 'yeah four weeks is ages, I'll find a house and job easy'. I'm not saying you will say that but just in case.

Finding work that will earn you enough to sustain yourself, your girlfriend, rent, bills, food, your car and all the cost plus general living expenses, with no history or qualifications will not be simple. You might be ble to get a bricky labourer job or something, but you'll need to be on their books- not cash in hand. Its ashame you can't take up that offer of being a bus driver because that would have been perfect.

If I were you now mate I'd save every dollar I could. Cut down any social life you have, don't drive unless you absolutely have to, just live as economical as you can. $2k is only 2-3 weeks pay.

I hope it works out mate. I'd hate to see someone like yourself with the best intentions end up in a refuge
Just go in prepared with your eyes open.
My Aunties husband owns Eagle Boys store and said he will give me a 5 day a week job, cash in hand of delivering plus paper work. Which is about $430 he said, that will be cash in hand to which will be so that will be a start. That income plus my partners.

I hope it all works out for me in the end anyways.

Thanks everyone
Old 13-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #26
buggo
[BU66OS]

Just be careful with cash in hand because the real estate will want to see your payslips. I'm guessing it'll be cash in hand because you won't pay tax on it? Therefore no payslip, and no house.

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #27
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bugger, there's always a downside to everything lol.
Old 14-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #28
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's not the MR licence it is the driver authority to drive a public passenger vehicle that requires an unrestricted licence for 12 months
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky View Post
i think guys at work were getting MR on their green P's.

Rides:

Old 14-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #29
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

perhaps a go for a run to newcastle on your next day off and see what is available at the the local ces, having a look on the board you may find something you like , or even just get some contacts for a work prospect you can tee up before you make a commitment.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #30
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in Newcastle at the moment, going back home tomorrow.