Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Kevxr8Leexr6

Default Wood fired BBQ. just tastes better

Well after a lovely day putting the new front end in the corty and her bum in the air to do the rear, the wifey said, why don't we put the fire on and do a barby while doin a bit on the car, geez it be around 20 years since I have cooked on a fire, few beers and cooked a feed and wow. forgotten how good it tastes compared to the gas bbq.

Kevxr8Leexr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
AJ09

Default Re: Wood fired BBQ. just tastes better

Have to agree!

I remember as a kid we had the wood fired bbq, the brick bottom with a concrete & pebble surround on top.

I use a gas bbq for convenience as it gets used more than the cooktop in the kitchen.

This thread has inspired me to give my kids the opportunity to taste food cooked on a "real bbq"!!
AJ09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I remember my grandfather used to cook on a home made brick BBQ, then the laws changed in QLD so no more open fires... man that sucked :(
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
MarkAW

But your cooking on a steel plate - the only flavour your getting is from the food that was seared to the plate the last time you used it. To me this seems no better than using gas.

When I was a kid, Dad used to use a thing made of wire that held the steak or chops or sausages between two wire grills and the meat was exposed to the flames - mmmm yum

Haven't seen those grill things for years, maybe rumours of burnt meat was cancerous killed them off.
MarkAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you get more flavour with a BBQ that has a grill with volcanic rocks under it. the juices drip onto the rocks and burn sending a nice smoky flavour into the meat

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd argue he would still get benefits from the wood fire in the the smoke would "waft" around and still effect the taste of the meat

I'm captive to gas currently but I'm looking forward to building in a wood BBQ when I build my new house, my first house had one and it was just a simple plate on a brick body and I think it tasted much better than its gas replacement

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

definitely get a wood smoke effect on an open fire regardless of the steel plate.

then theres the "ambience" of an open fire......makes everything taste and smell better.

something "primitive and neanderthal" and very satisfying about flame and raw meat.......chuck a beer and a few mates and it's.....hows that song go, "heaven, I'm in heaven!"

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: