Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-10-2014, 12:04 AM   #1
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Indian Mynas!

Just some info for all you living on the east coast, Indian Mynas in some areas are reaching plague proportions.

These introduced pest birds from Sri Lanka/India bully out the native birds, they are very aggressive in many cases take over nests and can kill the native chicks and destroy the eggs.

A lot can be done using special traps (like Myna Magnets) that can capture Indian Mynas in your area. Depending on your state's laws you can humanely kill them with CO2 from canisters or carbon monoxide from exhaust - obviously check what laws govern you. Quite quickly you can wipe out the entire Indian Myna population in your area.

In Canberra the action group http://www.indianmynaaction.org.au/ there of land and homeowners has successfully halved the population in Canberra in recent years. So every bit can add up.

What brought this all up is that my neighbour caught about 30 around the start of the year and since then haven't seen a single one and just today noticed some parrots in my backyard which I hadnt seen in years.

Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #2
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default Re: Indian Mynas!

Hate these birds. I have noticed the huge amount around here this year. There seems to be a hell of a lot more than last year. They are very aggressive and will chase every other bird out of the area.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #3
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Just some info for all you living on the east coast, Indian Mynas in some areas are reaching plague proportions.

These introduced pest birds from Sri Lanka/India bully out the native birds, they are very aggressive in many cases take over nests and can kill the native chicks and destroy the eggs.

A lot can be done using special traps (like Myna Magnets) that can capture Indian Mynas in your area. Depending on your state's laws you can humanely kill them with CO2 from canisters or carbon monoxide from exhaust - obviously check what laws govern you. Quite quickly you can wipe out the entire Indian Myna population in your area.

In Canberra the action group http://www.indianmynaaction.org.au/ there of land and homeowners has successfully halved the population in Canberra in recent years. So every bit can add up.

What brought this all up is that my neighbour caught about 30 around the start of the year and since then haven't seen a single one and just today noticed some parrots in my backyard which I hadnt seen in years.

Yep they sure are a mongrel up hear in SE Queensland now.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #4
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Air rifle is more fun...

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2014, 12:47 AM   #5
Legit290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Way too many of them in Sydney.
Legit290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 01:03 AM   #6
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep horrible things, some councils will lend traps and have volunteers to come and destroy the birds or the RSPCA can do it in some areas, so worth checking out.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:55 AM   #7
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I've noticed that there are far more less common sparrows and willy wagtails around these days - anything to do with these Mynas birds?

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 02:38 AM   #8
zabatron

Plenty of these here in Victoria too...As well as other pest introduced species such as spotted turtle doves.They have my dog's food bowl under constant surveillance,and keep trying to steal my dog's food,but he has caught quite a few of them.
zabatron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Air rifle is more fun...
Best part is when you bowl one over & all it's mates gather around the body wondering what the hell just happened.... gives you a good opportunity to bowl a couple more over.
I don't get any of them at my place anymore - even if I burley up with bread in the back lawn.
Peter B - CV8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #10
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

I'm sick of the mongrels swooping me when I go for a run, they're absolute pests.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I had them nesting in the roller door of my rear garage, I moved them on and they started to nest in the eaves of the house.. so once again I moved them on and they went to another corner of the house.. so I moved them on again and I hadn’t seen them nesting on my property for a while until one day I was up in the back garage and I heard their squark... they have a distinctive squark, and what do you know they had built a nest in the V of where the air conditioner meets the roof, behind it. So up I went on the ladder and destroyed their nest, boy was that fun as they kept swooping me and attacking as it was breading season as well.
They aren’t on my property anymore but they still hang around and I believe they are nesting in the neighbours somewhere, damn things they are.
I'd pull my air riffle out but I have some strange neighbours that abound me so I am weary at times but they are a pest here in central Vic.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #12
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ha, rifles can be a good culling weapon for these birds. I know one of the coucils visited the shooting clubs in their region telling members to aim for these birds. In most states it is a legislated pest species meaning they can be killed on sight effectively (as long as its humane).
Old 07-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grippy View Post
I'm sick of the mongrels swooping me when I go for a run, they're absolute pests.
Need to wear the ice cream bucket with sticks poking out of it bro
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #14
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
I've noticed that there are far more less common sparrows and willy wagtails around these days - anything to do with these Mynas birds?

Cheers!
Probably, they are devastating to these populations for a few reasons. They can literally barge in and take over another birds nest and in the process kill the chicks and throw out the eggs. One pair will often have five or six nests even if they dont need them - and defend every one of them meaning there is less nesting places for other birds.

The positive thing is it looks like the native birds simply avoid being in areas where they are located to avoid clashes and death and once the mynas are killed they bounce back to healthy numbers pretty quickly in those areas.

The backyard traps around Canberra have meant that Indian Myna has gone from the number 3 most profilific bird to number 12 over a relatively short amount of time.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #15
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got Magpies near me, they seem to keep everything in check.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #16
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I was shocked when we went up to the North-West in July and saw these bloody things everywhere - not in plague proportions but not far off.

Plus saw some out Lake Grace way on the weekend - so they're spreading.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 01:00 PM   #17
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Got them at my place and they love the dog biscuits.

He used to chase them but he seems scared of them now or is too bloody lazy to chase them.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #18
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Need to wear the ice cream bucket with sticks poking out of it bro
I'll take my cricket bat with me next time and I'll whack them as I run.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 03:17 PM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
I was shocked when we went up to the North-West in July and saw these bloody things everywhere - not in plague proportions but not far off.

Plus saw some out Lake Grace way on the weekend - so they're spreading.
Rare in WA other natives are sometimes as these ferals see http://archive.agric.wa.gov.au/objtw...onmyna_nht.pdf
Old 07-10-2014, 03:27 PM   #20
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

and http://archive.agric.wa.gov.au/PC_94795.html

Quote:

21 November 2011

The Department of Agriculture and Food is urging residents to be on the lookout for a pest bird in the Northern Agricultural Region.

Department biosecurity officer Kate Detchon said there had been recent unconfirmed sightings of the Common Myna in the Walebing, Buntine and Wubin areas.

The Common Myna is a pest of cereal and horticulture crops, and is not normally found in Western Australia. The department is asking local residents and visitors to keep a lookout for the pest bird.

“The Common or Indian Myna is cocoa coloured, with a dark brown head and is about 22 to 27 cm long,” Ms Detchon said.

“It has yellow legs, a yellow beak and yellow skin extending underneath and behind the eyes. It has a long black tail tipped with white, and white patches beneath its wings are visible when it flies.”

Ms Detchon said this pest was often confused with native honeyeaters such as the Yellow Throated Miner.

“However, Yellow Throated Miners are native to the area and eat only insects and nectar from native flowers. To tell them part, the native miners have grey bodies, whereas the Common Mynas are brown.”

Ms Detchon said the Common Myna was established in eastern parts of Australia, but not in Western Australia.

“The IUCN (World Conservation Union) lists the Common Myna as one of the 100 worst alien invasive species, along with the cane toad and common starling,” she said.

“It has been known to damage standing cereal crops including wheat, maize and rice. The bird also damages orchard fruits such as grapes, figs, apples, pears, strawberries and mangoes.”

The Common Myna is also an environmental pest and has been reported to eat eggs and young chicks.

“This bird is often found around picnic areas, near houses and in roadside vegetation. They nest in tree hollows, under roofs, in walls, or in cliff hollows,” Ms Detchon said.

Any suspect sightings of the Common Myna should be reported to the Department of Agriculture and Food’s Pest and Disease Information Service on freecall 1800 084 881
and https://www.agric.wa.gov.au/birds/co...mal-pest-alert

The are mostly found in Perth as lone birds from ships from ships berthing in Fremantle. The solo birds will often hang out with flocks of non-related native birds.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #21
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Rare in WA other natives are sometimes as these ferals see http://archive.agric.wa.gov.au/objtw...onmyna_nht.pdf
Hmm ok. They certainly look similar. Will have to have a better look next time.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Three introduced eastern state's birds the Lorikeet a(rainbow and Musk) and Kookaburra are a bigger problem in WA respectively displacing at risk species of WA parrots and WA kingfishers.

Last edited by aussiblue; 07-10-2014 at 03:43 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #23
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

..and the lorikeets damage our cars see http://archive.agric.wa.gov.au/objtw...ow_mmassam.pdf
Old 07-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #24
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've caught and destroyed 300+. In Cairns a concerted effort by the residents has decimated them.
They love dog food and if dog owners would place dog food in a less accessible position it would be a big help.
One of the best ways to trap them is to put the dog food in the trap. They are the smelliest birds I've ever dealt with.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 10:43 PM   #25
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Was going to say ..... if people are going to shoot them .... don't get them confused with the Noisey Myna which is a native and not a problem ..... apart form being noisey!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2014, 11:06 PM   #26
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

I hate those stupid spotted turtle doves imported from China. They wake me up nearly every morning. They also way outnumber the Aussie bush pigeons who hardly make any noise at all. Air rifles work great for doves and indian mynars. Makes you wonder who the genius was that thought it was a great idea to bring them here to Australia!
Old 08-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #27
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

The Canberra link in the first post was a successful and humane response to breaking the breeding cycle. FNQ populations 10 x as dense as southern populations.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 09:19 AM   #28
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
The Canberra link in the first post was a successful and humane response to breaking the breeding cycle. FNQ populations 10 x as dense as southern populations.
They are in absolute plague proportions in FNQ.
Some of the Men's Sheds who make the traps for them simply can't keep up with the demand.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 10:33 AM   #29
millzy555

Has anyone tried the traps on ebay??, ranging from $40-60. Seems good value to me
millzy555 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #30
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know if it's the same bird, but it sure looks similar to the type around our area, they are a bloody nuisance to be sure, our car lot is constantly getting crapped on, and they are noisy little buggers.
I generally like birds, but of recent years the pesky ones seem to be in plague proportions.
Driving around melbourne you can hear some suburban trees infested with birds, and there's so many of them they would drown out a lawn mower no problem.

At least we seem to be over our bat problem, the next door neighbors had bats in the trees near our driveway, the dirty rotten mongrel things. ....... Bat crap is hard to get off the duco, disease carry ing buggers.
Edit: ive been thinking recently about buying some fake hawks or something to put around the garden....... they would probably nest on those as well :(.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post