Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2006, 11:11 PM   #1
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Default 6 litre Pushrod Motor...Anyone ????

I have heard rumour that Ford in the good 'ol US of A, are talking about discontinuing the 5.4 litre motor, and are currently evaluating the possibility of making a 6 litre pushrod motor, for their range of light commercial, suv's and passenger car ranges.

Will the whole Modular range be axed ?

If the 5.4 motor is discontinued, where will it leave Ford in Australia ?

If it is true, the pushrod motor would be a lot cheaper to produce than the 3 valve and the quad cam, it would be easier to fit to cars, due to smaller heads.

It certainly would be keeping with the trend that GM and Chrysler/Dodge have set.

What are your thoughts ?

Old 31-01-2006, 11:18 PM   #2
5speedeb
now with 3.73 lsd

sounds like a good idea

injected 6litre in a falcon sounds really good actually id get one for sure

Last edited by 5speedeb; 31-01-2006 at 11:26 PM.
5speedeb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #3
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

Would be interested to see the reaction of the FF crew on this one.
I welcome it, but im driving a pushrod at the moment so im not the best person to ask. :monkes:
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For V8s I think its better to keep it simple stupid.
Big donk...air in air out.... :sm_headba

Having owned a soarer with 4L quad cam V8 and now the 5.4L BOSS quad cam V8.....I don't think it lives up to all that it's suppose to be. They seem to be very sensitive to things like heat, exhaust backpressure etc. It might win the bragging rights for KW/L, but it just doesn't drive like a V8.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 11:30 PM   #5
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle
For V8s I think its better to keep it simple stupid.

Having owned a soarer with 4L quad cam V8 and now the 5.4L BOSS quad cam V8.....I don't think it lives up to all that it's suppose to be. They seem to be very sensitive to things like heat, exhaust backpressure etc. It might win the bragging rights for KW/L, but it just doesn't drive like a V8.
Thats it in a nutshell isnt it...we have had our OHC/multi valve vs pushrod arguments but put simply a motor is just a big air pump, and as long as it goes, sounds and performs well it's a good thing
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 11:31 PM   #6
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I can't see Ford dropping the Mod for a pushrod jobbie. I'm sure if the 5.4 option was gone in the states we'd just start making our own parts ala Clevo, or they would run up a bit of stock for us ala EFI Wheezer.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 11:38 PM   #7
5speedeb
now with 3.73 lsd

well if they ever decide to bring this 6litre it really give the gen4 a real run for its money
will make things very interesting the power wars that ford/holden are having now
5speedeb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 12:03 AM   #8
gtfpv
GT

mmmm so all of a sudden the BOSS 5.4 ISNT competitive hey . things change quick around here.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 12:30 AM   #9
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
mmmm so all of a sudden the BOSS 5.4 ISNT competitive hey . things change quick around here.

Funny how people were bagging Holden still using the pushrod motor and Ford is moving towards newer technology, now its a great move.

I'm pretty sure the 3v is going to get dropped ny Ford Oz and the FPV sereies will be getting quicker motors to give the gen 4 and the F6 real competition (on the rumor mill at Ford).
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 12:38 AM   #10
XCGS351

All alloy Cleveland, now that would be nice.
XCGS351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 01:09 AM   #11
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Funny how people were bagging Holden still using the pushrod motor and Ford is moving towards newer technology, now its a great move.

I'm pretty sure the 3v is going to get dropped ny Ford Oz and the FPV sereies will be getting quicker motors to give the gen 4 and the F6 real competition (on the rumor mill at Ford).
WHAT CAN I SAY ISN'T THE MODULATED BOSS 5.4 supposed to have all this unleashed power. why would they change the engine other than cost.???? nothing wrong with pushrods that would be my choice but quad overhead cams have to be better, and allow so many differant states of tune due to camm shafts.
if they want a better simpler engine . they will have to change BORE/STROKE. tried and proven dinasour method. but i would stick with the boss 5.4 otherwise it would be deemed a major engineering error by ford . and i do think staying with those heads and camms are the go .
Old 01-02-2006, 01:20 AM   #12
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle
LMAO!!! Very well said

Who gives a ferk what technology they use to do it. Just give it big grunt, a wide/fat power curve, and the most compact package possible...

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 01:26 AM   #13
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
LMAO!!! Very well said

Who gives a ferk what technology they use to do it. Just give it big grunt, a wide/fat power curve, and the most compact package possible...
well doesnt the 290 already have that 290kw 520nms. holdens new 6 litre 260kw 510nms . or 297 530nms. and according to aftermarket manufacturers bmc filters give 8 RWKWS extra. which takes the 5.4 too 300kws. and the dyno shows consistancy on the boss engines and higher figures than the 6 litre hsv engine. shall i go on.
Old 01-02-2006, 01:27 AM   #14
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

They are using the 3v there on the F series..
It would also cost mega setting up another polluion motor..
They also have the v10 there also...
Along with International diesels...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 01:31 AM   #15
xr8ute
Back on the road

In standard form, its certainly got big grunt.

I can't speak for how wide that powerband is, except the anecdotal evidence from "edited" BA V8's making much more power down low.

It's hardly in a compact package though. Its big, wide, heavy, and in the worst possible location with respect to weight distribution i.e. at the top.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 01:33 AM   #16
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
In standard form, its certainly got big grunt.

I can't speak for how wide that powerband is, except the anecdotal evidence from "edited" BA V8's making much more power down low.

It's hardly in a compact package though. Its big, wide, heavy, and in the worst possible location with respect to weight distribution i.e. at the top.
ahhhhh !!!!!! fair enough . no arguement thier . (other than looks)
Old 01-02-2006, 01:56 AM   #17
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

if these new blocks aren't alreay in development and in cars, then it won't happen here until AFTER the all new falcon. Frontal crash is basically done on it, so changing engines now wouldn't be possible. You just need to look at what Ford (globally) have got available to them and this is what we'll get.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 01:58 AM   #18
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

why do they want to go back to the dinosaur technology?
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 02:00 AM   #19
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

I sure if Ford US did drop the 5.4lt, there would be enough left over to keep us going for years to come. It does matter what size it is a long as it performs goods & can hull but over the dark side thats all that matters.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:28 AM   #20
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

I think the major factor in Ford's decision would be cost at actually building the quad cam motors, and even the 3 valve motors, compared to a pushrod motor.
Old 01-02-2006, 08:08 AM   #21
danv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grechie
why do they want to go back to the dinosaur technology?
Its no more dinosaur than the Boss V8's,
Only difference is that it has a central located cam than cams located on each cylinder head which is hardly break through technology itself.
danv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #22
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

I'd like to see it happen for one reason alone - to see what FPV's marketing monkeys could come up with to promote it!!!!!!! :
Old 01-02-2006, 09:01 AM   #23
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd like to see them stick with what is seen as "better technology". Don't get me wrong I agree that pushrod V8's do just a good a job (better in some applications) but is is percieved as "dinosaur technology" by a lot of people.

Ford want to be seen as innovators not going backwards - the motoring scribes would give them a pounding.

If you ever read ricer forums they laugh (wrongly) at the Holden V8 calling it old tech rubbish ect. - this is just their perception but remember these young ricers grow up into cashed up 30 soemthings who become the target buyers in years to come. Ford want to be seen as the local Aussie company with leading technology when that time comes - you should already see the reaction of the youth today who love Skylines/Sylvia's ect and who hated Ford/Holden - the F6 hits the market and they think it is the ducks guts. They seem to love forced induction, next step would be for Ford to offer a TT V8 on the Boss (supercharger is seen as old tech as well).
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 09:14 AM   #24
Paxton
Cobblers!

The 4v engine doesn't have VCT in it yet does it? Lets wait until Ford/FPV give it this, and start to work more power through the engine, before calling it "a spent force".

The Boss will be a around a while yet, but work to make it lighter, and more work will be done on getting power out of it. It will be competitive.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 09:19 AM   #25
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Wouldn't happen. Cost of making new moulds $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Losing their enviro friendly appeal $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Losing their trust in the marketplace after telling everyone ohc was better than pushrod $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Keeping on and developing an already proven stable engine Priceless.

Quote: