Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-02-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Default Auto vs Manual??

So with my back up against the wall and plenty of time to consider I have looked at doing a manual conversion for the increased performance but then cant be bothered because of changing gears and having to change clutches.

The gain though is said to be 10rwkws.This would put me at 154 rwkws at intune dyno,157 at Croydons or 141-144 on spiros dyno. Either way the gain would also be through the rev range as the auto has more lossess everywhere.

The flipside is that the conversion cost is around 2200 dollars.With 2200 dollars I could grab a head off JMM for around 1000 to 1200 and gain around 10% which would make my existing setup put out 158 rwkws (intune dyno) or 147 rwkws at Spiros. This sort of power should see the car into the mid 14 second to 14.8 second bracket.
Also retaining the auto will allow my wife to drive when I cannot.
Hmm im not so sure? I may just buy a head and port it myself ? I have done plenty of study on it so I may give it a go...

A recoed head $400 and I have the equipment from long ago to port and clean the throat.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i wouldnt bother with a conversion, invest in beefing up what you got.

question i have, is i have been looking at doing up my auto in my sedan, heavier clutches and solenoids ect, would that make the auto a little more efficient in not loosing as much power ?

that said, the difference on the same dyno between the peak KW of my auto and manual xr8's, was nothing. I am guessing longer drive train on manual ute cost it a little ?
Old 18-02-2006, 12:01 PM   #3
stiddy
Banned

Stav why do you do this to yourself mate lol, forget about the manual, take it from me, you dont want one.. yeah they may be slightly faster in 'stock' form, but with a heavy/heavy duty clutch, and 380671431 gear changes every day you dont need one.. in traffic you will hate it.. and your left knee will hate you..
Fit a JMM stally to your auto, and watch, you will be as fast if not faster than many manuals, maybe not mine, but I have no respect for my gearbox and its starting to show thats its had enough.. the T5's are a weak link, the btr are a good box, dont swap.
Go to JMM and get the Dev5 head, its cheaper, its what is currently limiting you at the moment (stock head) and you know it will work.. thats a garenteed 14 second pass with your current set up, whack in a manual- clutch slip, wheelspin, missed gears, rev limiter all sorts of things are going to stop you from that 14 you want..
Be honest with yourself, and no offence, but you were forgetting to change gears in an auto, what are you going to do in a manual?
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 12:48 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

You say you want it for performance - yet imo the quickest cars i have seen use an auto setup with stall convertor / shift kit / B&M quick shifter, you 'do' loose alot of time shifting gears . But also depends what your meanings of performance means, if you wanna do donuts and huge wheelspins etc etc then you can't beat a manual, manual is definatelly alot more fun to play with and easier for stoping - but in bumper to bumper yeah the manul can be hell. I'de stick to the Auto imo - specially if its a car you drive everyday.
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 01:31 PM   #5
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
but in bumper to bumper yeah the manul can be hell. I'de stick to the Auto imo - specially if its a car you drive everyday.
I agree there only if you start of driving & you got yourself a manual licence would you by a manaul for daily peak hour driving been there done that, give me an auto anyday.

But a full manual shift auto with large stall is quicker than manuals if thats what your looking at.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 01:56 PM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Stav why do you do this to yourself mate lol, forget about the manual, take it from me, you dont want one.. yeah they may be slightly faster in 'stock' form, but with a heavy/heavy duty clutch, and 380671431 gear changes every day you dont need one.. in traffic you will hate it.. and your left knee will hate you..
Take his advice Stav. There's so many days where I hate having a manual car (my mismatched heavy duty clutch is to blame). If I had the money and the evil half agreed, I'd be slotting an auto in the car.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #7
Rob
Living the dream

I'd have to agree there, my AU is an auto, but I drive our little Corolla around a bit (5sp man, 1.8 litre + awesomely sticky yokohamas :eclipsee_ ) and its great fun for a few days, then you get stuck in traffic for the 100th time, and it becomes a chore. Oh, woe...

EDIT: Got a shift kit? My mate's VR SS recently had a shift kit fitted, jeez its harsh when you're up it, but its noticeably quicker.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if your drivings mostly in traffic you just cant beat an auto.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #9
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Yep ...Auto ;) ...

Now something totally off the topic bust just came to mind...
If you love KFC ...heres how to get something like the original , pretty darn close , end up lookin like it and tasting like it and all , how greasy it is is up to you

100% mixture = the following ..

50% plain flour
10 % cajun spices
15 % seasoned salt / season all
5 % chicken salt
5 % pepper
5% grushed garlic powder
(5%) 1 chicken stock cube crushed/powdered
5% normal salt.

put in a freezer bag , put damp chicken pieces in bag and shake for a few mins , shallow fry on low for 45 mins turning occasionally , or deep fry for 15 mins on low ... drain well , unless u love oil .... WELFARE KFC COMPLETE
Old 18-02-2006, 05:16 PM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Yep ...Auto ;) ...

If you love KFC ...heres how to get something like the original , pretty darn close , end up lookin like it and tasting like it and all , how greasy it is is up to you

50% plain flour
10 % cajun spices
5 % chicken salt
5 % pepper
5% grushed garlic powder
5% normal salt.

put in a freezer bag , put damp chicken pieces in bag and shake for a few mins , shallow fry on low for 45 mins turning occasionally , or deep fry for 15 mins on low ... drain well , unless u love oil .... WELFARE KFC COMPLETE
Bwahahahahaha.. you do realise that Useless, the thread starter, is a reformed junk food fanatic who has just given it all up after suffereing a major heart attack! : Next you'll be telling me how to turn lawn clippings into tabacco substitutes (I gave up the smokes 4 weeks ago)

:monkes:

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 05:28 PM   #11
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Yep ...Auto ;) ...

50% plain flour
10 % cajun spices
5 % chicken salt
5 % pepper
5% grushed garlic powder
5% normal salt.

Stav, Ignore this. Just grill the chicken and have a salad with some light dressing.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

sorry useless ) ..lmao ... and na i'de never recomend grass clippings ! - allthough grass aint bad ;) ! - not the lawn type ....anyways , keeping it back to the main topic.... manuals and autos defiantelly have both their own benifits and flaws, like everything , color of car - type of car - etc etc , it all comes down to personal choice , allthough if a newbie to driving ( p plater ) - is allway sto experience a manual ;)
Old 18-02-2006, 05:51 PM   #13
stiddy
Banned

lol maybe just a little detour off topic?
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 06:28 PM   #14
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella
i wouldnt bother with a conversion, invest in beefing up what you got.

question i have, is i have been looking at doing up my auto in my sedan, heavier clutches and solenoids ect, would that make the auto a little more efficient in not loosing as much power ?

that said, the difference on the same dyno between the peak KW of my auto and manual xr8's, was nothing. I am guessing longer drive train on manual ute cost it a little ?
What they say is that basically the reciprocating weight of the stallie is supposedly heavier than clutch .Also no stall converter has full coupling as it is hydraulic not mechanical as manual boxes. I am not really sure on the topic so anyone may correct what I said.

However beefing up the engine may seem to be the last option.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 19-02-2006, 12:19 AM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I've had 2 manuals, great fun for a time. Horrible in peak traffic.

Aaaaahhhh the ease and comfort of the auto! LOL!

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 12:25 AM   #16
rodderz

If you're planning on the odd trip to WSID with getting PB's in mind I would stick to auto, much more consistant. You also have a bit more protection from breaking things from heavy clutch drops and it's easier in traffic

I'm a manual person through and through (never owned an auto) but the way auto's are now, especially the new 6 speeds you cant go wrong
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 12:25 AM   #17
TIKFD6
Number 5 is alive!

Stav, from a Manual man, keep the auto.

"Experimental Racer" #6
1994 Gunmetal XG XR6 1997-1999
[B][COLOR=Red] 1994 Le Mans Red ED
2008 MA XR5 Mondeo

2015 VOLVO V60 T6 R-DESIGN-POLESTAR Enhanced

TIKFD6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 01:11 AM   #18
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

the wagon is never going to be a 'great' handling car so twisties and track days are probably not practical, the big advantage of the manual is slighty more car control on corners imho. So I'd just keep the auto in your case Stav.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 12:32 PM   #19
Stav
Smile

True guys...for the sacrifice in comfort for a daily driven car (does 800km a week average in Sydney) the auto is the best.As a good street car it has achieved what I was after in the first place. For once a year drag days the car was never intended for. .Thanks for the input all.

Old 19-02-2006, 05:30 PM   #20
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Phew some sense came back into the "paralisis analiysis" mind of Stav......

What's your next twist torture Stav ? lol...
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #21
Duffman
Oh Yeah!

Everyone says its a pain to change gears in traffic but think of it this way.. you will be getting fit. It will be like a mini treadmill in your car to keep you fit while your in the traffic.