Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-02-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

Default P-Plate restrictions

hey guys im new to the forums so take it a lil easy on me lol but i was just wondering wat the regulations or restrictions are on p-plate drivers.

ive heard a lot of rumours about not aloud to have V8's or turbos so i was just wondering wat is the truth

im live in victoria and im 17 and am currently looking at buying a car so your advice or knowledge would be appreciated.

cheers in advance

brad

Old 27-02-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well here in NSW new P Platers that got their Ps after July 11th 2005 cannot drive V8,Turbo,Supercharged cars.

I got my red Ps in 2004 but I kept them after July 11th 2005 (When the laws came in) and I got it renewed on December 13th, then got my greens Ps earlier this month so im not sure how it works with me now.
Old 27-02-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Depdends on what ya wanna get.
You will be alright if ya don;t get a mssive v8 (i.e 351). It's to do with power to weight. I don't know what the calculations are. i'm sure someone else will know tho.
You will be ok with everything upto and including EL XR8 with an 8, and all the sixes are good aswell. Ya can't drive a BA XR6T tho.

Mr Super Skid-Man
Old 27-02-2006, 08:17 PM   #4
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

IF your in Vic at the moment you can drive up to an AU Series one XR8, after that she aint legal, but if those new regs come in it's no V8's.

Im in the same position, i want an AU XR8 but waiting to see if these regs come in as i don't want to buy a car just to be forced to sell it, wonder if you can get an exemtion in that situation?
Old 27-02-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

yer i heard about the power to weight ratio aswell. something like 120 or 140 kw for every tonne? correct me if i am wrong.

ooh im wrapped! my dad's got an AU series I in the shed....mightdo a bit of bargaining with him lol
Old 27-02-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
Psycho Chicken
Banned

It's 125kw per tonne or 3.5 litres per tonne.

AU2 and 3 will be legal, depending on options. A fully optioned auto 200 kw XR8 would be legal. Base model 220 kw XR8 manual won't be.

There's a lot of runnish out there about what you can and can't drive. Best bet is ignore it all, find the weight and check against the engine output and capacity.
Old 27-02-2006, 08:41 PM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I pretty sure it goes by the sticker weight so options don't change what the coppers will think but mate if you arn't an idiot they will probably leave you alone im looking into an AUII Manual XR8 200 or 220 it won't be legal but i know of two other P Plater in my area the drive basically the car i want and the are left alone, insurance is a killer though...
Old 27-02-2006, 08:49 PM   #8
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

yer well i was actually thinkin of gettin an AUII XR8 aswell...that or an AUIII XR6 with the racing body kit. im more towards the XR8..im just hoping to god they dont bring in the new regulations tho on V8's and p-platers!

insurance will b a killer ill tell u that right now.
Old 27-02-2006, 08:53 PM   #9
EDXR6T

u recon VIC road's would post up the detaile's and wen or if the's rule's are coming in to play

i heard we are adopting NSW rules in july so no turbed supercharged or V8's and more power to weight restrictions:(

and me wanted a turbo so bad:'(
Old 27-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #10
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Ya best bet. Goto VicRoads, they have a list of cars that you can and can not drive. Thats the easy and cheap way!

Mr Super Skid-Man
Old 27-02-2006, 09:01 PM   #11
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Last time I checked you're on your P's for 3 years. It's not the end of the world that you have to wait til you're 21 to drive a V8/Turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukey_XF
Ya best bet. Goto VicRoads, they have a list of cars that you can and can not drive. Thats the easy and cheap way!
That's isn't the full list. Just because a car isn't on the list doesn't mean it's legal. Power/weight and cap/weight limits still apply.
Old 27-02-2006, 09:06 PM   #12
EDXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Last time I checked you're on your P's for 3 years.
if new rules come in it's 1 year on greens then 3 on red's :P
Old 27-02-2006, 09:08 PM   #13
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Oh no another year.
Old 27-02-2006, 09:12 PM   #14
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Yeah but it's a better guide then just having a rough calculation and going she'll be right. Then the coppers say it's not!

Mr Super Skid-Man
Old 27-02-2006, 09:15 PM   #15
BIGBIRD
GO ON GIVE IT SOME!!

Power to weight laws are some of the slackest laws enforced here in VIC, I drive a XR6T on my P's and never hassled even though she attracts a bit of attention as long as you drive sensibly you should be ok. If you want it, buy it I say!!
Old 27-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #16
chief
FTF Club Moderator

The funny thing is that p platers in NSW can still drive V12's.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
Old 27-02-2006, 10:44 PM   #17
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

125kw per ton is what I go by, so series 3 AUXR8 sedan just over...... if I am correct, approx 1700kg. 220kw
Old 27-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #18
Big_Fella
TROGDOR!! The Burninator

Quote:
It's 125kw per tonne or 3.5 litres per tonne.
Yep. also as was said before, Vic police are so slack, they dont care. I too drive an xt6t a bit and never been hasseled. Forced induction is no prob, as long as it meets ratios. If you dont advertised the fact its fast or got something sweet under the hood, you wont have any trouble. Most morons i know of being done, were caught dropping patches and doing silly stuff. I mean in a city center???? theyre crazy :
Old 27-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #19
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
LOL!!!! :Up_to_som
Old 27-02-2006, 11:17 PM   #20
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Last time I checked you're on your P's for 3 years. It's not the end of the world that you have to wait til you're 21 to drive a V8/Turbo.

That's isn't the full list. Just because a car isn't on the list doesn't mean it's legal. Power/weight and cap/weight limits still apply.
The problem is if the blanket ban come in and i bought an AUII XR8 then ive just spent and wasted $23,000 on buying a car i cannot drive...

If it come in July im going to be furious, im an August boy and to think i will be on my P's one year longer and have to drive a stock N/A six where my mates will atleast be on power/weight restrictions is a joke.
Old 28-02-2006, 12:29 AM   #21
Steffo
LPG > You

According to the Victorian regulations, a 200kW AUII XR8 is perfectly legal. It comes in at 120.48kW/tonne and 3.01 litres/tonne.

According to our crap in NSW... a 175kW AU Fairmont V8 is illegal because it has 8 cyls, but a 190kW BF XT (faster) is legal because its a 6. Funny... a Lotus Elise (if you've got 35k you can get a 95 model) is perfectly legal here and faster then any FPV or HSV and harder to drive too. In Victoria it would be firmly illegal (147kW/tonne). The NSW legislators really did one stupid this time.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 28-02-2006, 12:34 AM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
True .. P-Platers are allowed to drive Ferraris and the like.
Old 28-02-2006, 09:38 AM   #23
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

its all soo confusing isnt it.....i know of many a boys that drive powerful cars on there P's an get away with it....just shows how slack our cops are these days!

still not sure wether or not i should risk it tho....as it was sed it would be a waste of $23,000 to buy a car your not aloud to drive.

al i need to do now is find a car thats legal to drive.....any advice??

Last edited by TEKILA; 28-02-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old 28-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #24
all4ford
XW 351

I'm pretty sure that if you owned a V8 before those new regulations come in, you will be exempt. Its how it worked for me in NSW, if I had got my P's after the new laws came in I wouldn't be able to drive my XW, but I am legally allowed to because the car is registered in my name and was prior to the new laws.

Also to be honest, even after the new laws came in, I never once got checked out to see if I was legally able to drive my car, and it does stand out. lol
Old 28-02-2006, 09:56 AM   #25
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

lol yea true that....as long as you play is safe on the roads and keep a good reputation then you'll avoid the hastles
Old 28-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #26
Nappa
Impressive...

I've had a look on the Vicroads website and it lists the cars you cant drive, going off the power to weight ratio a p plater can drive a XR5 and Territory Turbo.
Old 28-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #27
ridefox
nitro addict

what is the go if i have a west aussie licence and i want to drive a v8 in vic
Old 28-02-2006, 02:38 PM   #28
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBIRD
Power to weight laws are some of the slackest laws enforced here in VIC, I drive a XR6T on my P's and never hassled even though she attracts a bit of attention as long as you drive sensibly you should be ok. If you want it, buy it I say!!
You do realise your insurance company will not cover you if you have an accident - driving a vehicle outside of license class. Also if you have an acco that the cops attend you will be in a lot of pain.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 28-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #29
GTFORDMAN

for your first car id be looking at gettin an EA >-----> EL model falcon they will have all the power you will need and insurance wont be so much of a killer.
Old 28-02-2006, 07:34 PM   #30
TEKILA
formerly AU_bullet

I was considering having my insured under my dads name? he is with AAMI atm with a good reputation.....wood it b worth it?
Closed Thread