Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
kcbworth

Default Picking Up New LX Focus this Week

I've finally been given word from my dealer that my new focus is in town and will be ready for delivery this week. It's my first new car and want to make sure that when i pick it up that everything is just as it should be. I've been following a number of threads on this board since I first started looking at the focus a few months ago, and want to use this thread to organise and get your opinions on my thoughts about what I should do at the time of and after delivery. The issues i'm looking at are:

Inspect the Car Before Signing Anything
  • Check the paint for scratches and defects.
  • Check the overall paint quality. Stand back and check that it is consistent across the whole car.
  • Check the alignment of the bumpers, bonnet, and doors, for gaps and alignment issues.
  • Check for cracks and scratches on the windscreen and windows.
  • Check that anything the dealer has affixed is on straight and correctly.

If I find any issues with any of these things should I ask the dealer to fix them before I take delivery, or ensure that they are noted to be fixed at the first service under warranty?

Paint Protection (DIY)

I've read around previously that a good DIY wax and polish will dramatically extend the protection of the new paint job. Can anyone recommend any good products, threads, or tutorials on what I should do when I first get the car, to ensure that I don't have any paint quality issues further down the track.

Break In The Engine

I've read heaps of conflicting stories about the best way to do this. The one consistent message I get is, as long as you give your car a bit of variety for the first 500km or so, then engine will have a much healthier life (i.e. dont just jump on the highway for 4 hours when you first get the car). Anyone have any further insight into this?

Aftermarket Tinting

I opted against dealer tinting as it is more economical to go aftermarket. I've been led to believe that this would be beneficial both for the long term quality of the car (reduce sun damage), quality of ride, and it will look awesome! Any ideas on what tint to go for, and can anyone recommend somewhere that I should get it done in bris southside?

I'm sure there's other stuff I missed, but these are the things i'm considering at the moment. I want to make sure that I don't get a dud, and that the car at least starts off it's life well. Look forward to your comments

kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post