Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2006, 06:27 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Stupid L's tests

I'm well of my L's (only a few months away from my full) but when I went for my L's and a few years later, my ex went for hers too, I found that there a re some real pointless questions that don't really even relate to driving that you can fail and not get your licence. Who makes these dumb a*** questions?

Stupid question 1: If you are caught street racing, how long will police impound your car for? - There is no one right answer for this question, nor does it relate to driving. So waht iif they impound it for 3 years, 3 days, or at all. It does not relate to driving.

Stupid Question 2: You are approaching an intersection that has a red light camera. The lights turn yellow when you are too close to stop safely. The lights go red as you get to the other side of the intersection. Will you receive a penalty notice? - Does this matter? If you get a fine, you get one, if you don't - good!

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 07:12 AM   #2
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

I could write an 11 page report on the stupid things the RTA has and does.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:28 AM   #3
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Stupid question 1: They want you to be aware of the penalties. They are obviously tringt to crack down on it and this is one method they can try. If you are aware of what will happen, then you are less likely to do it.

Stupid Question 2: The correct answer is no. Look at how the question is phrased - "The lights turn yellow when you are too close to stop safely. The lights go red as you get to the other side of the intersection. Will you receive a penalty notice?" Clearly, they have told you that you are too close to stop safely and that you must drive through. They want to make sure oyu understand why there is an orange light. When the light turns orange, stop if safe to do so. If not, drive through. The camera will not get you if the light goes red once you get to the other side.

I'm pretty sure that there is nothing wrong with either of those questions. It is important that you not only know how to drive, but that you know the road rules and the reasons behind them.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:29 AM   #4
LTDHO
The one and only

Both questions are very relevent.

First is to show and discourage new road uses from racing.

Second is to say that you shouldn't run red lights and you should judge the time it takes to go Red Vs your vehicle speed.

There is more to driving than when you obey signs, when to indicate and etc.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 06:33 PM   #5
Magical_ED
FORDISMâ„¢

Agreed, have been driving for 6 months on my p's, and you will quickly learn that those questions will help you when driving. Like the red light one, you will learn that there are times when you are going to fast to come to a stop safely without slamming on the brakes an possibly causing an accident.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:49 PM   #6
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As said, the first question is designed to drum into prospective drivers at an early age that street racing is very very naughty :eclipsee_

The second question... Hmmm. Maybe it's emphasising that just because an intersection has a red light camera, doesn't mean you should slam on the brakes as soon as the lights go yellow, causing danger to motorist behind you, and the risk of locking your brakes up. But why not just say that?

we all know its bullИИИИe. When I sat for my licence test 35 years ago, the local copper told me not to speed around kids, and if I was drunk to take the backstreets home, and that it was easier to do broadsides whilst turning right...... He then handed me my licence. Now I've never had a traffic infringement (except driving with foglights on) and I've never been involved in an accident..... Go figure
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

I don't think the questions about street racing or impound is neccissary because if you're 16, two years later you get your p's.. it's not likely you get into a car and be like 'hmmm lets look back at the l's test questions... oh thats right i'm not allowed to street race!!!' in reality people really don't think, they just do, as i posted in another thread i'm definately going to crash or lose my license(matter of when!) as I would just do it and not think - main problem is i have hardly driven on my l's in the 6+ months(maybe total of 1-2hrs in 6+ months) so i will be the worst driver(no experiance..) when i get my p's....
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
notty1978
NOTTY

i got asked for my L.s
how many tones can a 4 cylinder car pull safely
how stuiped is that
notty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #9
frenzal
EF XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by notty1978
i got asked for my L.s
how stuiped is that
oh dear.

and none of those questions are stupid....
frenzal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by notty1978
i got asked for my L.s
how stuiped is that
what was thye answer
Old 10-04-2006, 08:45 PM   #11
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I do understand the meaning of some of these questions, but with the street racing one, so what if the answer is 3 weeks, 3 months or three years. There is no one correct answer anyway. It is good they do bring this intothe test, but the question should be rephrased.

How many tones can a 4 cylinder pull? Is it a daihatsu or an Evo8? Tow ratings go on the rate of the car anyway. The Falcon can pull over 2 ton, but not legally because the falcon only weighs about 1600 (or so). So CAN and ALLOWED mean two VERY different things.

Unfortunatley with L's, they do not teach common sense road knowledge, just to understand what signs mean... only learning that is what will get you in trouble. They should be teaching you to predict drivers and pedestrians and what they are going to do.... that might save a few.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #12
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
How many tones can a 4 cylinder pull? Is it a daihatsu or an Evo8? Tow ratings go on the rate of the car anyway. The Falcon can pull over 2 ton, but not legally because the falcon only weighs about 1600 (or so). So CAN and ALLOWED mean two VERY different things.
Actually the Falcon can legally tow 2300kg. That's the highest rated heavy-duty pack they get from the factory.

This applies to BF/BA/AU/EL/EF and if I'm not mistaken ED/EB/EA also...
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:04 PM   #13
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Actually the Falcon can legally tow 2300kg. That's the highest rated heavy-duty pack they get from the factory.

This applies to BF/BA/AU/EL/EF and if I'm not mistaken ED/EB/EA also...
That'll be braked though, much less when its not.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #14
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_RAVEN
what was thye answer
10 tone for about 5 meters then the car brakes in half... lol

That question is silly
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
I don't think the questions about street racing or impound is neccissary because if you're 16, two years later you get your p's.. it's not likely you get into a car and be like 'hmmm lets look back at the l's test questions... oh thats right i'm not allowed to street race!!!' in reality people really don't think, they just do, as i posted in another thread i'm definately going to crash or lose my license(matter of when!) as I would just do it and not think - main problem is i have hardly driven on my l's in the 6+ months(maybe total of 1-2hrs in 6+ months) so i will be the worst driver(no experiance..) when i get my p's....

Which state do you live in????
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:44 PM   #16
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Unfortunatley with L's, they do not teach common sense road knowledge, just to understand what signs mean... only learning that is what will get you in trouble. They should be teaching you to predict drivers and pedestrians and what they are going to do.... that might save a few.

Ok see the thing is with the Learners test, you are getting it to then be taught how to drive...
SO the responsibility of teaching you to drive safely, sensibly etc is on the person who teaches you to drive..
The practical test.. aka as P's..........is where they test your ability...
Makes perfect sense to me :eclipsee_
Old 10-04-2006, 09:46 PM   #17
xrobx
Slammin'

There are some more irrelevant ones around.

I was outraged at the large amount of baby restraint questions.

This is a Driver Knowledge Test. Not the 'good parenting' test.

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 10:31 PM   #18
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Which state do you live in????
He is from Canberra, ACT. According to his profile.

Anyway I dont think the questions are stupid, just some of them are rather odd for getting a Learner's licence.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 10:37 PM   #19
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
He is from Canberra, ACT. According to his profile.

Anyway I dont think the questions are stupid, just some of them are rather odd for getting a Learner's licence.

I wasn't talking about the thread starter (or should I say I wasn't asking the thread starter- which would be au3 chaser) where he was from..
Please read the person I quoted (which was kyro_02) and you will see why I asked the question, and he/she doesn't have where they are from in their profile.....
Old 10-04-2006, 11:53 PM   #20
2kool4u

Location: I live in my own little world, but it's alright, the people know me here

the stret racing and the 4 cylinder questions are stupid, as there is no right or wrong answer to either question.
Old 11-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #21
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

Well incorrect mate, he would have a list of multiple answer questions. Also every single answer will be in the learn to drive book.

Anyone that think any of those questions are stupid are inexperienced, and need to read a bit more up on it. There would be a good answer in the range to select for each one.

If you answered one and they said it was wrong, then ask them why. If your answer is right in a way, let the know what you think and they should be able to tell you why its wrong.
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 09:40 PM   #22
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
I wasn't talking about the thread starter (or should I say I wasn't asking the thread starter- which would be au3 chaser) where he was from..
Please read the person I quoted (which was kyro_02) and you will see why I asked the question, and he/she doesn't have where they are from in their profile.....
I apologise, I thought you were reffering to the thread starter.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post