Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 20-06-2006, 01:10 AM   #1
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Default Carsguide - WQ Zetec Fiesta Review

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0...003140,00.html

Quote:
17 June 2006

Ashlee Pleffer

The term fiesta conjures some rather happy connotations, with celebrations, feasts and festivals coming to mind. And when driving Ford's new version of its baby car, the Ford Fiesta, satisfaction if not happiness also comes to mind, when considering the value you're getting for the rather small price tag.

Fiesta's latest addition is the Zetec model. Released in March, it is the top three-door model in the Fiesta family, and has been slapped with the sporty label.

Fitted with new front and rear body-coloured bumpers, grille design, headlamps, which especially afford it a sporty look, rear tail lamps and tapered side body mouldings, it could be argued that the Fiesta has had the Beckham makeover of style and flare. But don't expect too much, just because of the sporty tag.

It sits in the small car segment and the Zetec is priced at $18,490.

The athletic qualities of the Zetec stretches to the sports suspension, the 16-inch alloy wheels and a revised manual transmission with a closer ratio gear set.

Take a step inside and you'll find a cosy interior with modern and creative trim, available in three different designs for the Zetec model, although these interiors are a little on the plain side in comparison to those offered in the other Fiesta models.

While the seats may feel a little firm at first, they do get comfortable after time, and the adjustable head-rests in the back look great. They are very practical to suit all, short and tall, although loftier people will suffer in the leg-room department in the back seats.

The gadgets are easy to use and very straightforward, but the extra radio controls do not appear on the steering wheel like on most new cars. Instead they feature on a bulky lever behind the steering wheel, below the blinker, making it hard to reach. It's easier to use the main radio controls.

The major annoyance of this car is the blinker, a minor thing perhaps, but it sounds like popcorn cooking and it can get pretty frustrating for anyone who gets irritated easily. Hence during my test drive, the radio was turned up and got a fairly good workout.

Turning sharp corners produces some resistance on the wheel, with heavy steering required. There is a bit of pull when doing a U-turn or manoeuvring in tight car parks.

In this generation of the Fiesta, airconditioning comes as standard and manual transmission versions are fitted with an input facility for an iPod or MP3 player.

The Zetec is also available in three new colours, with the car tested here a Sea Grey, a little dull for my liking, but it did have a certain sense of style about it.

The ability of the engine is not the most exciting available and behind the wheel it won't exactly give you that buzzing sensation you may experience in more expensive and powerful cars. However, for its class and price, it produces fairly competitive figures in the small car range.

Its 74kW at 6000rpm is equal to or a little less than similar vehicles and on the torque front, it produces a slightly higher figure, with 146Nm at 4000rpm.

The 1.6-litre four-cylinder engine trots along fairly confidently, with sufficient power in the lower gears and it travels comfortably when it hits the higher speeds.

The Zetec is the middle child in the Fiesta range, with the three-door LX manual at $15,990 and big brother Ghia only available in five door, with the manual priced at $20,490.

With a 6.8-litres/100km combined claimed fuel consumption, the Fiesta has a slightly higher fuel consumption than its small car competitors. The Honda Jazz VTi has uses a claimed 6.0-litres per 100km, the Toyota Yaris burns 6.1-litres per 100km and the Hyundai Getz uses 6.2-litres over this distance.

I couldn't notice much difference in the handling and style between of the LX model and the sportier Zetec. This suggests the cheaper LX model is worth consideration, especially if you want to save $2500.

Overall, the Fiesta seems to have most qualities people want in a small car.

The Daily Telegraph

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 01:14 AM   #2
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Pretty dull and quite useless review. Never highlights much about the engine, chassis and handling. Not only that, but neither does it mention anything like the past reviews about the great manual transmission for such a small car.

Pathetic attempt by the Daily Telegraph.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 20-06-2006, 02:52 AM   #3
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Carsguide reviews tend to cater to an everyday buyer as opposed to an enthusiast. They generally focus on the features of the vehicle with the driving dynamics playing a lesser role in the review. I usually avoid reading them and stick with Wheels or Motor magazine.
Old 20-06-2006, 03:11 AM   #4
Danny
GT4.

What a crap review. Thats the only dull review I've ever heard the Fiesta Receive..
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #5
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I couldn't notice much difference in the handling and style between of the LX model and the sportier Zetec. This suggests the cheaper LX model is worth consideration, especially if you want to save $2500.
What the?!

Compared to Wheels quick review (May 2006) that whole story is a joke!
Old 20-06-2006, 05:44 PM   #6
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"The ability of the engine is not the most exciting available and behind the wheel it won't exactly give you that buzzing sensation you may experience in more expensive and powerful cars. However, for its class and price, it produces fairly competitive figures in the small car range.
"

Oh man, she's comparing Fiesta's engine with engines from "more expensive and powerful cars". :/
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 11:10 PM   #7
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LethalLeigh
Carsguide reviews tend to cater to an everyday buyer as opposed to an enthusiast. They generally focus on the features of the vehicle with the driving dynamics playing a lesser role in the review. I usually avoid reading them and stick with Wheels or Motor magazine.
Top Gear on SBS/BBC, they review cars properly, by racing them against each other.

They had a Ford Focus race a BMW 1, verdict, Focus hands down...
Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #8
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaytan
Top Gear on SBS/BBC, they review cars properly, by racing them against each other.

They had a Ford Focus race a BMW 1, verdict, Focus hands down...
I just watched Top Gear, Series 7, Episode 3 on my PC, Jeremy Clarkson was track testing the new Ford Focus ST, (aka XR5 to us) on a very wet track and he was very impressed with it, bear in mind he gets to drive all the very best cars on the planet, he said it goes from 0-100km/h in 6.5 seconds with a top speed of around 240km/h, the handling, roadholding and driveability was superb. He said that the Vauxhall Astra VXR (due in Oz soon), was overall a quicker car but nowhere near as fun and driveable as the Focus, according to Jeremy the Astra handles "like a dog!", the Focus is also 1500 pounds cheaper than the Astra in the UK, it was as usual for Top Gear an excellent non-biased test, Jeremy really gave the Focus a damn good seeing to on the wet track, threw it around everywhere and loved every minute of it.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 07:55 PM   #9
joshf2
striped

i especially liked it when he had it c0cking a leg up

the focus asbo
joshf2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #10
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
I just watched Top Gear, Series 7, Episode 3 on my PC, Jeremy Clarkson was track testing the new Ford Focus ST, (aka XR5 to us) on a very wet track and he was very impressed with it, bear in mind he gets to drive all the very best cars on the planet, he said it goes from 0-100km/h in 6.5 seconds with a top speed of around 240km/h, the handling, roadholding and driveability was superb. He said that the Vauxhall Astra VXR (due in Oz soon), was overall a quicker car but nowhere near as fun and driveable as the Focus, according to Jeremy the Astra handles "like a dog!", the Focus is also 1500 pounds cheaper than the Astra in the UK, it was as usual for Top Gear an excellent non-biased test, Jeremy really gave the Focus a damn good seeing to on the wet track, threw it around everywhere and loved every minute of it.
Man, Jeremy Clarkson & the guys at Top Gear are legends...
Old 21-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #11
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshf2
i especially liked it when he had it c0cking a leg up

the focus asbo
Yea, that's right, the Focus "Asbo", I forgot about that bit, he said they shouldn't have called it the "ST" as it could stand for Sanitary Tampon,........ "classic stuff", Jeremy's all class! :monkes:
Old 21-06-2006, 11:25 PM   #12
marcosambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
The major annoyance of this car is the blinker, a minor thing perhaps, but it sounds like popcorn cooking and it can get pretty frustrating for anyone who gets irritated easily.
The is 'major' and 'minor' in the same sentence relating to the same issue, poor journalism and poor english!
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #13
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Sounds like popcorn cooking"......

I don't know what kind of popcorn you're cooking, lady.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 07:09 PM   #14
Danny
GT4.

As If you'd get ****y over the blinker!!! It sounds classier than the common plastic click most other cars seem to have.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #15
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
As If you'd get ****y over the blinker!!! It sounds classier than the common plastic click most other cars seem to have.
Agreed - I liked the blinker sound!

Old 23-06-2006, 11:16 AM   #16
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Very Poor review,

Obviously not a real driver :P

Because in past reviews, as has been pointed out. It has been said that the Fiesta is probably one of the best low price bang for buck drivers cars out there.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #17
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At the risk of women getting angry i think it's because a woman did the review...

*cringes ready for hangbag projectiles*
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #18
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
At the risk of women getting angry i think it's because a woman did the review...

I'm glad someone had the balls to say it :

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #19
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

And she got through the whole review and never once mentioned the "vanity mirrors",.......not once........well done Ashlee!! :
Old 25-06-2006, 11:03 AM   #20
Sonia

I'm a chick and I totally agree
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 03:18 PM   #21
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Quote:

Maybe she should review the new Getz,
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #22
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Maybe she should review the new Getz,
Maybe she should review lipstick, she gives good female drivers a bad name.
Old 26-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #23
Sonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaytan
Maybe she should review lipstick, she gives good female drivers a bad name.
I second that :
Sonia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post