Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-07-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Default New 90mm MAF

Hey all i recently picked up a 90mm maf for the xr8, i havent fitted it as yet because it has to be transfered in using the edit so i have to get her on the dyno soon, this maf is huge when you compare it to the std maf, the std one is i think 70 or 75mm but in the middle where the sensor is there is about 15mm used up for the sensor and it goes from 1 side to the other, this 90mm 1 is different in comparisen and will marry up perfect to my 4inch intake pipe because the outtake on the maf is 100mm. the pipe alone has made the car more responsive down low i suspect its from the increased volume it carrys. so now the maf is the next restriction to go, for now im just gonna adapt it to the ba xr8 pod box and eventually i am going to make my own intake box around a big pod filter out of aluminium and tig weld it at work, but not just yet.

NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #2
xr8ute
Back on the road

Is that a F150 Lightning MAF? I've got one of those for when I fit the blower. They are massive compared to the stocker...lol

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

not sure what its exactly off but i have been reading some mustang sites and books and most use around the 90mm even on 5L's so i dont think i can go really wrong but time will tell. This Maf i can get my whole hand and most of my arm through, the std 1 is big but the sensor in the middle is a huge resriction. how can you get volumetric effeciency when you have a big t/b, big intake pipe and a straw of a maf. Ford really didnt want the old winsors to make power.
Old 24-07-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
EDXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neishaxr8
Ford really didnt want the old winsors to make power.
It was tested many times that larger MAFs didn't improve anything (in fact in many cases lost power) on stock to mild engines. Generally 90mm is way too big for a 5L and even mild strokers but Ford made the Lightning 90mm with tons of low flow resolution which makes them a very good option.
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2006, 08:58 PM   #5
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

i dont think i will loose power, thats what people said about my pipe (not on here) and it has now after 3 weeks proved that it has made a noticable differance over std, the air intake on the 5L are way to small imo, the i6 is almost the same size but has less output so i think i will only gain, but the dyno will tell i am going to get a old setup run then change it and a new setup run, i will gladly come on here and reveal to you that it has lost power but i am willing to give the maf a go, to tell you the truth im just bored and looking for things to do under the bay.
Old 24-07-2006, 09:01 PM   #6
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

if the i6 can gain from a larger free flowing intake then i believe there is hope in the 8 yet.