Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-09-2006, 07:57 AM   #1
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default Bill Ford quits, appoints Boeing executive

"STRUGGLING US auto giant Ford Motor Company announced today it was naming former Boeing executive Alan Mulally as its new president and chief executive, with family heir Bill Ford keeping the executive chairman post.

Mr Mulally, 61, has been president and chief executive officer of Boeing Commercial Airplanes since 2001.

"Mulally led the turnaround of the commercial airplane division of The Boeing Company,'' the US automaker said in a statement.

"He has a record of success in customer satisfaction, manufacturing, product development, labour relations and supplier management.''

The company said Bill Ford, who had been holding the dual position of chairman as well as chief executive since 2001, will remain executive chairman and "will concentrate efforts on strategic repositioning of Ford Motor Company.''

"Let me assure you: I'm not going anywhere,'' Bill Ford wrote in an email to Ford employees.

"As executive chairman, I intend to remain extremely active in the direction of this company. I'll be here every day and I will not rest until a prosperous future for this company is secured.''

The move came as Ford was moving to accelerate its turnaround in the face of widening losses and declining sales in the US market.

Bill Ford said in his email that the turnaround effort "required the additional skills of an executive who has led a major manufacturing enterprise through such challenges before.''

Mr Mulally "also has the personality and team-building skills that will help guide our company in the right direction,'' Mr Ford said.

"Clearly, the challenges Boeing faced in recent years have many parallels to our own.''

Mr Mulally, a Boeing veteran of 37 years, said he looked forward to the challenge of helping Ford regain its former lustre.

"I think the opportunity to work with Bill Ford and Ford Motor Company is the only thing that could have attracted me to a job other than Boeing, where I have so many great friends and memories,'' Mr Mulally said
".

Looks like someone who was instrumental in turning Boeing around is now going to try and turn Ford around. I have witnessed some of Alan's genius in the things he did at boeing, like the new 787 that is already profitable before even flying. Looks like good fortunes at Ford in the years to come.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
HSE2

Interesting news.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 09:06 AM   #3
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

Jeez thats huge news. Always good to get a new, clean approach though.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 09:48 AM   #4
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

i was reading an article about bill ford and how he was trying to re-structure ford motor company and turn it around while acting as executive chairman, cheif executive and president.
the man might be a machine but no one person can do all these jobs 100%. he needed help, and now he's got it.

you may want to change the heading for this post though, seeing as bill ford hasnt really quit.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #5
rhysy_boi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i thought alan mullaly was an ex english cricketer who now lived in perth :P

nah good news i spose, boeing is a very successful company and hopefully he can bring that to ford motor company so we can take over car sales world wide...maybe they can export some of their nice powerful cars this way and vice versa.

Rhyso
rhysy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets hope Ford Australia isnt on the chopping block...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Wonder if Alan will call in some favours for wind tunnel testing, exotic materials as well as suggesting which brand Boeing use as their fleet. On a professional sense though, Alan is an expert in recognising failures within a business and turning them around so I think it would have been a case of once Bill found alan was available, he decided to step down as CEO. On the news I believe the stock price of Ford went up 1.5%.

Quote: