Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-12-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
black ute
SII XR8

Default Wet feet

Well it's raining in Sydney and theres an annoying amount of water hitting me on the feet when i accelerate.
I've heard the stories about the crack in the firewall, and am just wondering about the best way to access it.
I'm assumiming it's to take off the plastic grill in front of windscreen, as that looks like the place the water would enter from.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

black ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The crack in the firewall is usually around the clutch pedal from flexing.

It's your's a manual (have only heard from cracking FW with manuals).
Ususally the fix is welding a plate either side for strength down where the clutch pedal bracket is.

Pull the carpet away near the pedals and see where it is coming in.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #3
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

I have this too. i think its to do with some shonky spot welds near where the wiper motors live.
Old 15-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
stiddy
Banned

its not a crack in the firewall, its a crack in the pedal box, and more than likely a twisted firewall.
Had the same problem fixed 2 weeks ago.

The dash has to come out, pedal box taken out, straightened, welded up/metal plates welded in, firewall will return back to normal shape when pedal box is put back in, and a fair bit of silicone.

the joys of having a manual.

Mark from It's Performance did mine for me, for $300
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #5
black ute
SII XR8

The car is a manual but wouldn't have thought that there would be enough water making it to that spot, with the gutter above it.
That little fitting completely tore out of an xg i used to drive so i know how to fix it if thats the problem.
Old 16-12-2006, 08:59 PM   #6
stiddy
Banned

The problem is a crack in the pedal box.. not what your on about.

This is a problem that basically came factory from ford, the pedal box and firewall just arent made of thick enough metal to support the 5 spd and clutch movement.
Old 17-12-2006, 02:58 AM   #7
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
The dash has to come out, pedal box taken out, straightened, welded up/metal plates welded in, firewall will return back to normal shape when pedal box is put back in, and a fair bit of silicone.

Mark from It's Performance did mine for me, for $300
$300 incl removing and reinstalling the dash? That sounds like a good price.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
black ute
SII XR8

Thanks shall look into it...
Old 17-12-2006, 09:04 PM   #9
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Man , You Cant get much for $300 any more ,

LOL Just Kidding

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #10
james22
With da Warlords

I did the same thing in my old 91' EA'S Falcon, The pedal bracket bent and broke, I had to pull the dash, steering, and pedal box TWICE and reinstall. ***** of a job. I would definately pay to have it done next time... Just to save the headache

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 10:02 PM   #11
stiddy
Banned

Mark from It's Performance, Campbell Town in sydney, $300 dollars and the car off the road for 1 day, seriously cannot complain with that.
Old 21-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #12
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Mark semi fixed my car with the same prob. He thought all the cracks were sorted but there's still a minor drip somewhere else...however he only charged me half the amount as he thought the rest would be alright. I've just been too lazy to drive back out to Campbelltown to get the rest of it done.

I know other places have quoted in excess of $600/$1000 or more to do the same work.

Mark was meant to be making some metal brackets to reinforce the trouble areas but I haven't spoken to him in ages about it. He's a good bloke.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post