Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #1
blacklabel

Default Work done at 250K

Hi all, my trusty 98 Futura has just turned over 250,000km and I have had a few things needing attention completed to keep her ship shape.
While these are all pretty "standard" maintenance issues for these sort of kms I thought a wee post might give a bit of an insight into what is likely to need attention for your own pride and joy when reaching these "moderate" kms.

It took 3 weeks to get all these things done- the wallet couldn't handle it all at once... :

1-Full service,including new air filter,plugs,fuel filter.
Cost $340.00
2-New main rear seal on transmission, new pan seal on transmission,
full tranny service.
Cost $280.00
3-Front rotors skimmed/machined.New front pads.
Cost $180.00
4-2 new rear tyres
Cost $240.00

So, about a $1000 all up, but pretty damn good I thought really.
Should see me right for a few more km's now.
Everything else is sweet.
And all the above can be put in the "wear and tear" category.Not a single "failure" so to speak.
Go the trusty Falcon!

blacklabel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 08:37 PM   #2
just me
AU2 XR8

sounds like a good car mate good to here that it has been pretty much trouble free my xr6 just clicked over 80,000kms so it looks like there is many more years left for me with my car yet
cheers
just me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #3
walker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing beats a trusty Falcon.

XE project underway
walker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklabel
Hi all, my trusty 98 Futura has just turned over 250,000km and I have had a few things needing attention completed to keep her ship shape.
While these are all pretty "standard" maintenance issues for these sort of kms I thought a wee post might give a bit of an insight into what is likely to need attention for your own pride and joy when reaching these "moderate" kms.

It took 3 weeks to get all these things done- the wallet couldn't handle it all at once... :

Cost $340.00
full tranny service.
Cost $280.00
Cost $180.00
4-2 new rear tyres
Cost $240.00

And all the above can be put in the "wear and tear" category.Not a single "failure" so to speak.
Go the trusty Falcon!

$340 for a servce is insane! unless they pulled the rocker cover or replaced other componants that price is over the top.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Cost $340.00
full tranny service.
Cost $280.00
Cost $180.00
4-2 new rear tyres
Cost $240.00

Go the trusty Falcon!
good to hear Blacklabel , how is the engine sounding any nasty noises ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
blacklabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
good to hear Blacklabel , how is the engine sounding any nasty noises ?
Gidday Mik, no mate- the engine is smooth and doesn't have any knocks or dodgy noises.And my engine bay is super clean for a car that's coming up 10 years old.And the engine oil level was only fractionally down on "full" mark since the last change.
In fact when my mechanic parked her up in the shop doorway,when I got in after paying the bill I honestly didn't really realise she was going.
Of course she's a little down on power compared to 150,000km ago-but there's still plenty there! :
Old 30-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #7
blacklabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
$340 for a servce is insane! unless they pulled the rocker cover or replaced other componants that price is over the top.

FULL service remember- plus new plugs,air filter,and other lubricants replaced,not just "checked" and "topped up" as in a standard service.
She had the works, and I thought it was a pretty competitive price.
And it includes GST. Over here in NZ it's 12.5 %.
To get the same done at my local Ford Dealership- I would have been looking at quite a bit more.

The local Nissan dealership wanted to charge my mrs $250.00 just to service her poxy little x1r Pulsar!!

...maybe I should have been a mechanic...hehehe
Old 30-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up

Good to hear the steed is travelling well after lots of kays.

I hope you have many more great years of service with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 10:52 AM   #9
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
FULL service remember- plus new plugs,air filter,and other lubricants replaced,not just "checked" and "topped up" as in a standard service.
She had the works, and I thought it was a pretty competitive price.
And it includes GST. Over here in NZ it's 12.5 %.
To get the same done at my local Ford Dealership- I would have been looking at quite a bit more.

The local Nissan dealership wanted to charge my mrs $250.00 just to service her poxy little x1r Pulsar!!

...maybe I should have been a mechanic...hehehe
FULL service = filters, plugs, oils/fluids (did they change the diff fluid?) and a check of mechanical/hydraluic/lights on the car. Disconnect the battery for 30min (this can be classed as "tuning" ;) ) Even when my car was serviced prior to me getting it by mech's a service was never over $90.

Oh well, glad to hear your car is in top shape. Should provide trouble free motoring.

Old 31-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #10
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
FULL service = filters, plugs, oils/fluids (did they change the diff fluid?) and a check of mechanical/hydraluic/lights on the car. Disconnect the battery for 30min (this can be classed as "tuning" ;) ) Even when my car was serviced prior to me getting it by mech's a service was never over $90.

Oh well, glad to hear your car is in top shape. Should provide trouble free motoring.
Hey Walkinshaw, I'm in Pt Lincoln too and I've never seen a $90 full service, who's your mechanic cos I'd like to meet him to do my car if it's going to be that sort of price. Strewth, fluids alone would cost over $90 if all were to be changed. My wagon is due for a service so I'd be very interested in getting a quote now that Alan Biggs is no longer a Ford Dealer cos I need someone who won't void my warranty.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
Hey Walkinshaw, I'm in Pt Lincoln too and I've never seen a $90 full service, who's your mechanic cos I'd like to meet him to do my car if it's going to be that sort of price. Strewth, fluids alone would cost over $90 if all were to be changed. My wagon is due for a service so I'd be very interested in getting a quote now that Alan Biggs is no longer a Ford Dealer cos I need someone who won't void my warranty.

Bushbasher
$90 was the service fees in Adelaide a number of yrs ago from somone who the folks had used for years.

I havent had a service done in a few yrs, but i fail to see how a simple "full" service could be over $300